Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Mages And Sages Podcast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6197 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2021 :  09:34:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

Well I love listening to the podcast obviously and I got questions plenty if you have any need.

1: Cyclops and their lore in the Forgotten Realms doesn't look to be that much explored. Shining South 3rd tells us that there are cyclops in the Walls of Halruaa and the Dustwall around the Shining Lands. Are there, or have there been any cyclops kingdoms of note? Have they left any settlements or ruins to speak of in those areas?

2: I also wonder about the Endless Wastes. If I'm not mistaken, this region does exist in Ed's original homebrew world, but I really doubt that the Tuigan exist in his world, or exist as "psuedo-Mongols". If not the Tuigan, who are the main inhabitants of the Endless Wastes, and also who form the major threats of the region? Is there a large grey orc presence there?

Well, I was kind of hoping for Waterdeep questions to stay on theme - - but we'll keep these ones up our sleeves till we head east.

Oh, and re cyclops, have a dig through the 2E Pirates of Fallen Stars sourcebook. There's at least one featured on one of the Pirate Isles.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1822 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2021 :  12:46:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA
Left to their own devices they inevitably start ranting about gnomes and Impiltur, and no one wants to hear about that

Exactly my point!

I just want George to finally finish his Impiltur sourcebook so that we can finally stop talking about it.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2021 :  17:49:59  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello there, loving your podcasts, I have few questions.

What were the main drow houses that used to live during Kyorlamshin times. Any interesting lore about them?

Can you tell anything about Ahgharion and its tower?

Can you tell anything about the "Lord of Bones" Shradin Mulopour, what happened to him in the Underhalls? What happened to his clone?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34941 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2021 :  19:42:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I apparently discovered an Untold Secret of the Realms, in regards to Waterdeep, so I'm definitely wanting more information...

quote:

@Greysil_Tassyr

Over the millennia, Waterdeep has drawn elves, dragons, humans, drow, dwarves, wizards galore, other sorts -- even before there was a city to attract them. Countless beings, all in one spot.

Is there a Weave anchor there, or something else pulling in all these folks?

@TheEdVerse

Alert! Alert! Untold Secret Of The Realms Stumbled Over!

I suspect I'll run headfirst into an NDA on that one, but I'm trying anyway -- I'd like any info I can get on this!

On a related note, since there's also a Celestial Staircase there, it makes me wonder if there's something significant about the sites of those... We know there's a Weave anchor in Shadowdale, and a Staircase there, and there's something going on in Waterdeep, also the site of a Staircase (or a connection to the Staircase, whatever the case may be).

In addition to this... Approximately how deep are the Warrens, how extensive are they, and roughly how many folk are down there? Are there shops and inns and taverns down there, or just homes and common areas?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
615 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2021 :  22:41:23  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Assorted Mages & Sages,

Can you tell us anything of the bard Talashambar of the Flame Tabard (mentioned in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep). Specifically the origin of the 'Flaming Tabard' part: family sigil, magic item, self-promotion, or particularly embarrassing incident?

Do any of the docks and wharves of Waterdeep (other than 'Smuggler's Dock', of course) have official-names or common-names? Like the "West India Docks" of London or "Fisherman's Wharf" in various places. And if so, what are they and how did they come to be named? (preferably in the 1300s timeframe, if it matters).

And the answer is probably 'left up to the reader,' but after the events of the short story "The Eye of the Dragon" from the anthology Realms of Magic, what would Ed say became of Ambreene Hawkwinter, wearer of the titular artifact and newly-apprenticed to the Blackstaff?

Finally, I know I've asked this before but I'll post it again, just in case:
quote:
Originally posted by AJA
Is Ambra, the half-elven sometime-prostitute and creator of the spell Ambra's Kiss (from your '06 Ask Ed replies, 22 Nov 2006 specifically) the same person as Ambra Steelthorn, masked owner of the broadsheet Full Frontal Druidity: The Broadsheet That Lays Bare Secrets Most Shocking, from your 2009 Spin-a-Yarn, Night of the Dread Pudding?

And if so, can we have more information on her? And if not, can you provide more information on both?

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
Exactly my point!

I just want George to finally finish his Impiltur sourcebook so that we can finally stop talking about it.

People who live in Eaerlann houses shouldn't throw stones gnomes, Eric.

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 23 Apr 2021 22:49:07
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
757 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2021 :  23:31:04  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AJA that was beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
169 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2021 :  10:30:53  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Well, I was kind of hoping for Waterdeep questions to stay on theme - - but we'll keep these ones up our sleeves till we head east.

Oh, and re cyclops, have a dig through the 2E Pirates of Fallen Stars sourcebook. There's at least one featured on one of the Pirate Isles.

-- George Krashos

Heh sorry for non-Waterdeep related ones. I can't easily come up with one, since there is already such a large amount of good written material for that city.

Thanks for the pointer to the cyclopskin of Ilthan. Wasn't aware of it. It seems I haven't looked thoroughly enough into that particular book.

Edited by - deserk on 24 Apr 2021 10:31:40
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1822 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2021 :  13:39:39  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

AJA that was beautiful.

As the target of that particular jibe, I have to agree.

Well, except that the adjectival form is "Eaerlanni." #realmslore

--
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
10265 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2021 :  14:57:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by JEThetford

POOL OF YEVEN
The statue of Mystra (tall, thin, tapering darkstone gowned smiling woman with her upper head composed of seven interlocked stars, her hands raised as if to catch something large, like a basket of laundry), at the Pool of Yeven, was guarded in person by the avatar of the god Azuth during the Time of Troubles (see FRE2, Shadowdale). This occurred because the statue was not only a key Weave anchor, it stands over a vault that contains vestiges of both Azuth and Mystra, so it’s crucial to their survival.

I suspected the statue was a Weave anchor -- I've suggested it here, in the past -- but it's nice to have that confirmation.

The vestiges part is new.

Edit: Okay, maybe I didn't suggest Weave anchor before... I can't find the reference, if I did. But I've long suspected that there was great significance and even power linked to that statue. Weave anchor just makes sense.

Vestiges? Was there any particular description to that? I ask because that word has different connotations now as a result of the 3.5e Tome of Magic.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1822 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2021 :  14:59:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

POOL OF YEVEN
The statue of Mystra (tall, thin, tapering darkstone gowned smiling woman with her upper head composed of seven interlocked stars, her hands raised as if to catch something large, like a basket of laundry), at the Pool of Yeven, was guarded in person by the avatar of the god Azuth during the Time of Troubles (see FRE2, Shadowdale). This occurred because the statue was not only a key Weave anchor, it stands over a vault that contains vestiges of both Azuth and Mystra, so it’s crucial to their survival.

I suspected the statue was a Weave anchor -- I've suggested it here, in the past -- but it's nice to have that confirmation.

Edit: Okay, maybe I didn't suggest Weave anchor before... I can't find the reference, if I did. But I've long suspected that there was great significance and even power linked to that statue. Weave anchor just makes sense.

Vestiges? Was there any particular description to that? I ask because that word has different connotations now as a result of the 3.5e Tome of Magic.

I would assume he meant it more vaguely, as in the types of magical effects associated with Mystra / Mystryl as described in Secrets of the Magister.

--
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
10265 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2021 :  15:06:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

POOL OF YEVEN

I would assume he meant it more vaguely, as in the types of magical effects associated with Mystra / Mystryl as described in Secrets of the Magister.

Gotcha, that was my initial thoughts, but figured I'd check. Wouldn't surprise me to find something thinning the connection between our world and elsewhere as well. Out of curiosity... the bear that was Mystra in one of Ed's Elminster books... does anyone recall if that was anywhere even remotely close to the Pool of Yeven?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
10265 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2021 :  16:15:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A rather mundane looking chap of thin build and young features wearing a small-brimmed hat with the feather of a blue bird sticking up from its rim stepped forward from the crowd. He wore a rather smart looking vest matching his round collared shirt and pants and carried a small booklet and a pencil. "Hi, Forjeri Calumniator of the Luneiran Moon's Herald here and my readers have a few questions."
The red book on the shelf at the rear of the room cast a thought at the sai with the symbol of Auppenser that was mounted decorously upon the wall, "Its him again Lorey. What do you think he'll ask this time?"
"Egads, one can only imagine. Definitely something far fetched. Why Lady Jillian would roll over in her grave to find one such as this running a pay for print news service. The drivel he comes up with is simply meant to titillate the unlearned."
At that, a glowing blue face of a beautiful ghostly woman stuck its head through the wall to say "I heard that. No more talk of my grave, and let's give the fellow a chance. He might surprise you."

As all eyes turned towards Forjeri, he asked, "How many clones of Manshoon are currently living within a hundred miles of Waterdeep? Also, is there any truth to the rumors that one of his clones escaped the notice of his fellow clones by changing his gender, but was eventually found, and that the two Manshoons fell in love? Is it true that they had a love child together, who is now fast approaching seventy years old and has a veritable flood of grandchildren living on the outskirts of the city? Is it also true that the "mother" turned on the father after some years, in protection of this child, and that the "father" is now entrapped in a necklace?"

The ghostly face of Lady Jillian Doncastle of Neverwinter turned to the sai, Lorey Hisstory, which was giving her its version of a "deadpan stare", and said "Alright, I stand corrected."
One of the notables in the room could have sworn that he heard chuckles from the bookshelf behind him, and when he turned to look, he could have sworn he heard a mumbling that sounded like "If they only knew...."

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 24 Apr 2021 16:36:29
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1822 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2021 :  16:35:29  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gotcha, that was my initial thoughts, but figured I'd check. Wouldn't surprise me to find something thinning the connection between our world and elsewhere as well. Out of curiosity... the bear that was Mystra in one of Ed's Elminster books... does anyone recall if that was anywhere even remotely close to the Pool of Yeven?

I would look at FRE2 - Tantras, pages 11-13 for a summary of the Pool of Yeven.

Makes me wonder who the other mages were mentioned by Azuth other than Yeven and Ashaba.

--
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2021 :  23:32:44  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Awesome podcast tonight. Hope I didn't ask too many questions. I can never decide what to choose out of the 20 some that I can always dig up.

There is no such thing as "too many questions" when it comes to that group. Questions keep them focused. Left to their own devices they inevitably start ranting about gnomes and Impiltur, and no one wants to hear about that

I do second the awesome podcast kudos, once again. Definitely looking forward to the next one, also!

But if Iyachtu Xvim is wandering Impiltur handing out girl scout cookies that turn people into evil gnomes, we might need to talk more about that don't we? At least I think I remember something about cookies and gnomes. :)
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2021 :  02:30:19  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Blackstaff novel, at the beginning there are a lot of interesting items/artifacts whom I'd love to know more about :

The Fanged Tome of Lykanthus Szar, Alaundo’s loop, Annals Adamarus, goblet made of glacial ice and embedded with rubies , its content steaming hot.

As much as I'd love to know everything about all of those items I'll try to be not too greedy XD . Is it possible to have a physical description of Alaundo's loop at least?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
10265 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2021 :  02:47:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:

Awesome podcast tonight. Hope I didn't ask too many questions. I can never decide what to choose out of the 20 some that I can always dig up.

There is no such thing as "too many questions" when it comes to that group. Questions keep them focused. Left to their own devices they inevitably start ranting about gnomes and Impiltur, and no one wants to hear about that

I do second the awesome podcast kudos, once again. Definitely looking forward to the next one, also!

But if Iyachtu Xvim is wandering Impiltur handing out girl scout cookies that turn people into evil gnomes, we might need to talk more about that don't we? At least I think I remember something about cookies and gnomes. :)

I heard it was cookies made OF gnomes. They were red velvet.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6197 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2021 :  11:12:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Qilintha

In the Blackstaff novel, at the beginning there are a lot of interesting items/artifacts whom I'd love to know more about :

The Fanged Tome of Lykanthus Szar, Alaundo’s loop, Annals Adamarus, goblet made of glacial ice and embedded with rubies , its content steaming hot.

As much as I'd love to know everything about all of those items I'll try to be not too greedy XD . Is it possible to have a physical description of Alaundo's loop at least?

Steven, Eric and I were looking at doing a write-up of these items for a DMs Guild article. It's on the "to-do" list.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 27 Apr 2021 11:12:33
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2021 :  16:29:07  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes!! Thank you so much, Blackstaff's novel had a lot of interesting items I'd have loved to know more about! Write-ups of artifacts-items in the novels sounds awesome!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1822 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  21:21:57  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like there will be a podcast on Friday, May 14, focused on magic item creation. If you've got a named but otherwise undetailed item from some obscure lore reference, put it here and we'll try to get it on the list.

--
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  14:21:23  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Looks like there will be a podcast on Friday, May 14, focused on magic item creation. If you've got a named but otherwise undetailed item from some obscure lore reference, put it here and we'll try to get it on the list.

I would be interested in knowing a little bit about what you all think of the "hows" of magic item creation.

I was always interested by that moment in Silverfall where Mirt comes across Dove while she's dancing and letting herself be stabbed repeatedly by swords so that her silver fire will enhance/enchant them in response. The game-mechanics for item creation are a drudge at times, particularly in, for example, 3rd edition (use spell X, Y, Z, have the necessary item creation feat, spend some gold and XP and time, boom there's your item), but there are no end of campaigns where the player has wanted to craft a magic item and then have the DM institute a quest for a specific component. A timeless classic is a suit of dragonscale armour needing a dead dragon.

My apologies for a question so very open-ended, and which probably has myriad answers, but any thoughts would certainly be interesting to me. Assuming you aren't already going to be talking about all that!

For actual items that aren't already detailed, at risk of running into NDAs, there are still three Imaskarcana (Second, Fourth, and Sixth?) for which we don't know anything at all.

But the Imaskarcana that I really want to know about is the Seventh, which in an old Lost Empires of Faerun web enhancement resembled a large, golden key and contains all of the Imaskari knowledge on creating and maintaining permanent extradimensional spaces, plus additional powers beyond that.

Other than that, I would offer a question for an item not particularly obscure save for the where, namely where is the Artblade of Cormanthor? By the 15th century DR both the Crownblade and the Warblade have since resurfaced. The Crownblade is even wielded by Ilsevele. Is the location of the Artblade locked down under a long-held NDA? Does somebody not want it to be found?

(Is Josidiah secretly still alive and/or carrying it somewhere?)

I could ask about so much more relating to magic items, their creation, their hows and whys (for example, the Arcstaff of Khavoerm and the silver dragon produced from it, was that an actual dragon Khavoerm spelled to go into it when it was being made?), but I'll try and stop there.

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
733 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  14:27:15  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about the Firestaff of Aunagar the Black?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5588 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  14:30:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moon penguin of Boof.

I'm only joking, I will get an actual list together asap, but I couldnt resist

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  16:42:17  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question has actually come to mind, though again it's not on the creation of specific magic items so much as the number of them, and how the use of them plays into Realms fiction you write, either novels or sourcebooks.

In a given D&D setting there is what some gamers refer to as the Christmas Tree element, where an adventurer could end up wearing enough magic items to purchase a small kingdom (and might complain vociferously if the DM were to remove items from them as part of a plot).

Compare that with classic sword and sorcery pulp fiction, where Conan doesn't even have a magic sword and sorcerers/wizards/warlocks in Howard's writing have little in the way of magic items. Hopping over to science fiction, Jedi have the Force but the "magic" is generally all them instead of stuff they carry; even though movies and books focus on the space-wizard-monks it doesn't feel like what they can do with the Force is defined by what they're wearing.

Or in The Lord of the Rings there is of course Narsil/Anduril, Glamdring, the Rings of Power, and so on, but these things are always rare and above all special, with history and story weight attached to them.

You see this approach in some Realms stories or sourcebooks:

- Drizzt had just two scimitars and Guenhwyvar's figurine for quite a while.
- Wulfgar carries a magic hammer and that's about it.
- Arilyn Moonblade has a moonblade and a Harper pin.
- Alias has just an enchanted chain shirt and longsword.
- Alusair has an enchanted signet ring and an amulet of proof against detection and location (but may have others).
- Elaith carries a ring of the ram and potion of healing, but rarely ever uses them.

On the other hand, you have Vangerdahast who in the Knights of Myth Drannor books had something like 8+ magic rings on him in one scene, or Larloch's swarm of ioun stones. Malchor Harpell has a staff of the magi plus a host of magic rings and other business on him whenever he leaves his tower.

I'm wondering what you all think of either style in relation to magic items, about a "minimalist" approach versus "Christmas tree" approach, and how you approach the use of either in your Realms fiction (or Realms writing more generally).

(Apologies again for a long question, and apologies as well if it's not really on theme for the podcast!)

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  18:36:02  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oooh there are so many XD Besides the many many items in the Blackstaff novel, it comes to mind at the moment:

Some new Qysari rings?

Artstave of Alithair from the Impiltur supplement Dragon 346.

The Tripartite Orb from Realms of the Arcane. It only suggests it negates magic.

Some of the Imaskarcana? Both real and fake ones.

Also is it possible that the drow ever created something similar to a moonblade or the kiiras? Like their own twisted version of those? It'd be interesting how Lolth would deem someone worth it of a Drow Moonblade XD

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
10265 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  20:06:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since you asked.... figured I'd come up with some stuff that might produce something interesting. If you do provide some answers to any of the below, can you please give the responses to this thread?

Regarding Blueflame Magic items

Who were the "Imprisoners" that were working with Larloch to create the blueflame magic items, or was it just Larloch himself? If it was more than just Larloch, what percentage (if any) of the "Imprisoners" were simulacrums of Larloch himself?

Do any blueflame magic items still exist that were not used to fuel Mystra's return, and what might we know about them? What are the "fell powers" of the known (and unknown if any remain) blueflame magic items that can be used whenever the ghost is not released?

Besides the nine and Mirt, who else has been imprisoned in blueflame items and in what items?

Did Larloch ever "forcibly" or "aid" the conversion of living spellcasters into liches to fuel the creation of blueflame magic items (for instance, finding some aging living spellcaster of 11th level or higher and providing them the costly materials for a phylactery and recipe for the potion they must imbibe and either encourage them to change or use magic to coerce their conversion)?

Were the phylacteries of the liches that were used to empower blueflame magic items destroyed, or were the spirits of the creatures simply "detached" from them and then used to empower the ritual? By that, I mean, could he have "saved the cost" of creating a new lich's phylactery somewhat by tearing down a previous phylactery for "components"?

Were any blueflame magic items amongst the "several magic items" given to Szass Tam by Larloch in order that he might try to compel Tam?

On a separate topic "The Tome of Fastrin the Delver"

Was the Tome of Fastrin the Delver which contained "The Ritual of Unmaking" and its history a bit of a lie (we already have two different time references for when the kingdom existed, one "when Netheril was young" and the other "soon after the fall of Netheril")?

Is there any possibility to the rumor that the kingdom of Fastrin the Delver was secretly one of the first Ravenloft domains, and the sunrise mountains simply copied?

Is there any possibility to the other rumor that the Tome of Fastrin the Delver was planted by the "Zulkir of Transmutation in hiding" Talaskos Murthrond (see dragon 427) along with a coercion spell to have the Zulkir of Transmutation who found the tome show the book to Tam?

Was the ritual that was cast in any way tied to the concepts of Worldfire that Talaskos Murthrond was studying?

Is there any truth to the idea that Talaskos Murthrond's study of "magical mists" can be related to the mists of Ravenloft, and might he have had any involvement with Hazlik being transferred to Ravenloft as a domain lord?

Would the Ritual of Unmaking have truthfully transferred Tam to Ravenloft in a domain under his complete control?

FROM BURY ELMINSTER DEEP, just to cover what I can recall on blueflame magic items
El listened in thoughtful silence, and Manshoon in growing, eyestalk-quivering fury, as she added, “One archwizard was behind the enchanting of all the blueflame items, using many as his dupes. They were his bid to maintain his own existence, but he built into them the means to watch over all who used the items-for sport and amusement, as well as to effectively compel such wielders.”

“ ‘One archwizard’? Who?” Manshoon spat.

“The ‘Imprisoner’ is the one called Larloch. He bound all the magic and essence of three of his servant liches into each ghost-imprisoning item-sacrifices to empower the items.”

“Larloch?”

The Simbul ignored Manshoon’s angry disbelief. “The items are more than extra-dimensional prisons and ghost-controllers. Each possesses a fell power of its own, usable whenever the ghost is imprisoned, and dormant when the ghost is out.”

“And if a ghost is destroyed?” Elminster asked quietly.

“The item will crumble,” The Simbul replied. “Its magic discharged and forever lost.”

“No!” the beholder snarled. “You lie!”

“I do not lie, Manshoon. You lie, easily and often, as it suits your desires, and so have fallen into lazily thinking all others must, too. Consider how easy it would be for me to destroy you, rather than spend time telling you this. Consider further my strong temptation to do so. Yet, I refrain. Consider that I do so for this higher purpose, this necessity of saving the world we share. Now, will you hear the rest, or will I spell-scourge you until you are humbled and forced to yield?”

The beholder hung silently in the air for what seemed a very long time.

“I… I will listen,” it said at last.

“Wise of you. Mystra and Azuth allowed Larloch’s self-serving plan to succeed because they deemed it necessary. Like the lich lord, they saw it as a way of cheating the coming Spellplague, which they dared not try to prevent as the increasingly unstable Weave raced toward crashing ruin. It needed to be renewed or replaced, and Mystra knew either outcome would destroy her. She also knew she could preserve something of herself and the secrets of the Art she’d inherited-and Azuth could do the same-by insinuating it into the minds of Larloch’s liches, and so into the blueflame items.”

“Which means…” Storm said slowly.

Her sister smiled. “Which means the items contain seeds that could perhaps bring back Larloch, or even something… someone more… if used in the right manner.”

“Uh,” Arclath mumbled, “I’m not sure Rune or I should be hearing this…”

Ignoring him, The Simbul went on sternly, “It is imperative blueflame items must be wielded to close rifts and restore the balance of Toril, or the ancient Primordials will rise and rage unleashed across the lands… and inevitably, what will eventually be left will not be the world we know, the realms of humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, orcs, and the rest. Dragons may survive, but probably as enslaved steeds, not conquering wyrms. Their time is past.”

She looked from one person to another, staring last up at the beholder, whose rays had faded away.

“El and Manshoon, will you both work to make sure the time of humans is not ended?”

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 06 May 2021 20:36:57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2021 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000