Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Mages And Sages Podcast

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JEThetford Posted - 03 May 2019 : 22:18:33
Well met fellow Realmsians!

We are calling on all those with queries to post them here so that we can better tally them and get them to the Old Mage for each podcast!

We also take suggestions for topics and guests!

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TheIriaeban Posted - 24 Jul 2022 : 05:12:48
quote:
Originally posted by questing gm

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban
Anyone know how long it takes before the recordings are posted?

I think it's now up on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1539867611

Yep, it is. T'anks, Doc.
questing gm Posted - 24 Jul 2022 : 03:14:17
quote:
Anyone know how long it takes before the recordings are posted?

I think it's now up on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1539867611
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Jul 2022 : 04:05:03
quote:

That was enjoyable until Twitch kept interrupting with ad blocks while everyone was talking. Anyone know how long it takes before the recordings are posted?

I went ahead and did a subscription, after the first of those sets of ads. That was most annoying.
TheIriaeban Posted - 23 Jul 2022 : 01:45:58
That was enjoyable until Twitch kept interrupting with ad blocks while everyone was talking. Anyone know how long it takes before the recordings are posted?
ericlboyd Posted - 22 Jul 2022 : 17:16:36
This is the direct link:

https://www.twitch.tv/magesandsagespodcast

Brimstone Posted - 16 Jul 2022 : 21:39:49
https://www.facebook.com/95115391533/posts/pfbid0hNSpsFFMRomeYgd3hsWKXtVPji9f6i4QrBEnpEzfguRsLNyFWtKhGVWGe6YRGqvGl/

July 22 at 8pm Eastern.

quote:
To mark the return of Mages and Sages: Interviews with the Old Mage Podcast, we are reviewing a classic by the Old Mage himself published in 1992 by TSR, Inc: Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. We will brodcast live on July 22nd starting at 8pm Eastern . This will be a live discusssion of one of Ed's classic modules. If you read the dedication of the work, you will see a name that gives us reason to review this classic module: Jenny.
Please join us. This will be broadcast over You Tube since our Twitch channell is still not being nice to us.
Joining us will be George Krashos (who's idea it was to do this show to honor Jenny), myself, Curry Russell, Eric Boyd, Steven Schend and the Old Mage himself, Ed.
RationalRedneck Posted - 16 Oct 2021 : 21:04:38
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

lol, I liked that song

Oh, and I think I heard some rumors of "John of the Deerwood" and his breeding of a special "Hog of the Bush" that is famed for decimating low hanging brush.

He's an Evocation wizard who likes to ride said hog while drinking his favorite brown liquor and casting his favorite spell; that both bear the same name. FIREBALL!!
RationalRedneck Posted - 16 Oct 2021 : 05:47:28
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
Originally posted by RationalRedneck
As a side note.... Would the women of the realms think my tractor is sexy?

Not sure if The Realms has tractors (unless that's what they call half-ogre ploughmen up around the Moonsea) but, given both The Realms and the lyrics, I'm pretty sure they would quickly comprehend exactly what you were singing about.

....aand it appears that they've managed to at least get the audio up for their last Twitch chat (Haven't listened to it yet, but it appears to be the Twitch cast, not the GenCon one). And hey, fancy new opening graphics!

And neither of my questions got answered!
sleyvas Posted - 13 Oct 2021 : 23:12:14
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
When is the next podcast? :)

RationalRedneck, The Mages & Sages are scallywags, layabouts, and ne'er-do-wells of the highest order, and expecting them to stick to a firm schedule is nothing less than folly. Over on their Facebook page they are currently soliciting suggestions for another [ ED VOICE ] DEEEP DIVE INTO WATERDEEP [ /ED VOICE ], but no dates thus far announced.

(and still working on getting those pre/GenCon videos up and attem on their YouTube page)

I guess I'll just have to wait to find out whether or not there is a hole in the market for my Hedge Wizard "John of the Deerwood" to capitalize on. As a side note.... Would the women of the realms think my tractor is sexy? (Gods help anyone who actually gets that reference.)

lol, I liked that song

Oh, and I think I heard some rumors of "John of the Deerwood" and his breeding of a special "Hog of the Bush" that is famed for decimating low hanging brush.
AJA Posted - 13 Oct 2021 : 01:25:59

quote:
As a side note.... Would the women of the realms think my tractor is sexy?

Not sure if The Realms has tractors (unless that's what they call half-ogre ploughmen up around the Moonsea) but, given both The Realms and the lyrics, I'm pretty sure they would quickly comprehend exactly what you were singing about.

....aand it appears that they've managed to at least get the audio up for their last Twitch chat (Haven't listened to it yet, but it appears to be the Twitch cast, not the GenCon one). And hey, fancy new opening graphics!

RationalRedneck Posted - 07 Oct 2021 : 03:04:48
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:

RationalRedneck, The Mages & Sages are scallywags, layabouts, and ne'er-do-wells of the highest order, and expecting them to stick to a firm schedule is nothing less than folly. Over on their Facebook page they are currently soliciting suggestions for another [ ED VOICE ] DEEEP DIVE INTO WATERDEEP [ /ED VOICE ], but no dates thus far announced.

(and still working on getting those pre/GenCon videos up and attem on their YouTube page)

I guess I'll just have to wait to find out whether or not there is a hole in the market for my Hedge Wizard "John of the Deerwood" to capitalize on. As a side note.... Would the women of the realms think my tractor is sexy? (Gods help anyone who actually gets that reference.)
sleyvas Posted - 06 Oct 2021 : 15:11:14
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:

Wow, what spell is that... it's like you channeled the voice of Ed Greenwood for just a moment.
AJA Posted - 06 Oct 2021 : 02:28:26
quote:

RationalRedneck Posted - 03 Oct 2021 : 22:24:59
How often are constructs used for things like farm labor and construction? Among nations, municipalities, and organizations with resources to afford such things, where would their use be most and least prevalent? What social and economic forces are preventing their widespread adoption?

Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Aug 2021 : 15:35:17
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Greetings sages! I've recently discovered the podcast on the recommendation of a youtuber named AJ Pickett. You should have him as a guest sometime! Here is my question.

In the city of Ankhapur on the lake of steam, in southern Faerun all the Tressym’s disappear for three days every year on the day before highsummer.

Part A: Where do they go and what do they do?

Part B: They have embedded themselves in nearly every noble family and wealthy merchant house on the continent; as well as established enclaves in major areas of agricultural production. Is Ed claiming NDA on the subject really just an admission that these creatures are secretly planning world domination?

That's not Ed Greenwood lore, it's Steven Schend lore. And I suspect it's one of his standard dangling hooks to get people thinking. As always, he's succeeded.

-- George Krashos

I'd wager it has something to do with the Cat Lord from the AD&D comics. Steven included the main characters in his published Realmslore, so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to sneak in a Cat Lord bit with something like this.
sleyvas Posted - 23 Aug 2021 : 14:35:49
quote:

Greetings sages! I've recently discovered the podcast on the recommendation of a youtuber named AJ Pickett. You should have him as a guest sometime! Here is my question.

In the city of Ankhapur on the lake of steam, in southern Faerun all the Tressym’s disappear for three days every year on the day before highsummer.

Part B: They have embedded themselves in nearly every noble family and wealthy merchant house on the continent; as well as established enclaves in major areas of agricultural production. Is Ed claiming NDA on the subject really just an admission that these creatures are secretly planning world domination?

Hi, I'm Calumni Prevaericaetur of Songfarla,

It's a little known or understood feature of the multiverse that the find familiar spell actually pulls familiars from somewhere else, and this location moves. For those 3 days, all tressym familiars summoned actually come from Ankhapur.

No, that's true... I am not lying to you... ::looks at the faerie floating beside her:: ..... stop with the giggling Mindasiti Faeblespeker, you'll give us away.

::glares at the giggling faerie Mindasiti, until she begins to cough and then take on a very sober look::

Well, in all seriousness, the truth behind this mystery can be linked to a portal which opens there periodically, summoning through the physical manifestation of Ishistu the Albino Rat, the Great Hairless One, Lord of Perfection (see the Al-Quadim product "Cities of Bone"). It's said that at this time, Ishistu is entrapped within the forest, but that he calls all rats and mice for miles to come to him in an attempt to free him from his prison. It is unknown who entrapped him thus, but the opening of this portal also sends out a silent-to-all-but-tressym call to come to the Ankhwood and hunt rodents, utilizing what appears to be an advanced form of pipes of the sewers made entirely of rodent bones. There are those who believe that it was Bastet who thus entrapped this lesser godling, whom some have mistakenly referred to as "Sneel" in the past. Others say it was the cat lord, Nobanion, Eldath, Lurue, and some even say it was simply a mortal wizardess who thus confined this godling and setup the "Call of the Tressym". It is rumored that after this wild hunt of rodents, most female tressym also experience another period of estrus or "heat", and afterwards many young tressym are born. It's said that the tressym often take personal names from their accomplishments in this rodent hunt, such as calling themselves "The Hundredshunter". And that is the gods' honest truth.

::at which point, the very serious looking faerie, Mindasiti, began to nod its head in the affirmative quite slowly, as if to emphasize just how true this is::

A few seconds later, a green portal opened beside the gnome, and the two of them stepped through and disappeared.
RationalRedneck Posted - 23 Aug 2021 : 13:18:15
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

That's not Ed Greenwood lore, it's Steven Schend lore. And I suspect it's one of his standard dangling hooks to get people thinking. As always, he's succeeded.

-- George Krashos

The listed authors for the FR campaign setting are Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, and Rob Heinsoo. Was that guide citing another source? Or am I missing something about how contributor's are credited (Very Likely)? Or was this the sort of thing mentioned in passing at a pub or written as a footnote on notes that were shared around internally, that made it into print?
George Krashos Posted - 23 Aug 2021 : 08:16:48
quote:

-- George Krashos
RationalRedneck Posted - 23 Aug 2021 : 04:01:28

sleyvas Posted - 11 Aug 2021 : 13:07:57
New Question

Eric,

What is that background behind you that looks like the shelves of the library of Candlekeep? Is that just some poster/painting... or did you make wallpaper or something. That looks pretty cool on screen.
AJA Posted - 11 Aug 2021 : 03:25:30
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Mea culpa, Aja. Was forced by circumstances of being away from home and joining in via iPhone, which refused to stay stable or at an agreeable angle.

Oh, no apologies needed, Steven. The technical issues were quite obvious (and unfortunate – and, also, obviously frustrating for you). The various Manshoon banter and the lore on Holyhands House made up for it in spades.

10/10, would trade a few night terrors for it any day!

Steven Schend Posted - 11 Aug 2021 : 03:02:52
quote:
Originally posted by AJA
Also, someone please tell Steven to change his camera. I watched the 3-hour VOD over three days, and last night I woke up in a cold sweat from a nightmare of Steven standing over my bed, looking down at me like that

Mea culpa, Aja. Was forced by circumstances of being away from home and joining in via iPhone, which refused to stay stable or at an agreeable angle.
AJA Posted - 11 Aug 2021 : 02:14:47
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
Jeff is lame and forgot to post here, but we had another session last night.

Go to the twitch channel to watch the tape.

Boo, Jeff. Yay, streamVOD! (if you haven't watched it yet, the Twitch link is, as always, twitch.tv/magesandsagespodcast – go down to the Videos tab to watch).

Excellent as always (and now new and improved with no early echoechoecho issues!). Regale yourselves to tales of how many Manshoons (and Volo) are wingless wonders, The Assassination of The Blackstaff by The (well-paid) Coward Steven Schend, SPELLJAMMER CONFIRMED~!, the brief rise (and finger-lickin' fall) of The Cult of The Hand of Manshoon, and, uh, some rather unfortunate comparisons of George Krashos to gnomes (which shall of course remain unprinted here).

(oh and a bunch of other, actual "real" Realmslore, too)

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Greenwood, ~00:16:45 in
Because nobles have always had the money to indulge their eccentricities -- whatever those eccentricities are -- for some of them it's collecting boots...

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Greenwood, ~00:27:15 in
Though, as one of The [Silent] Nine put it, "that's not quite true -- I spat out his boots."

There's a short story here, and you will not convince me that Ed hasn't already written it

Also, someone please tell Steven to change his camera. I watched the 3-hour VOD over three days, and last night I woke up in a cold sweat from a nightmare of Steven standing over my bed, looking down at me like that

ericlboyd Posted - 31 Jul 2021 : 23:03:33
Jeff is lame and forgot to post here, but we had another session last night.

Go to the twitch channel to watch the tape.
TheIriaeban Posted - 24 Jun 2021 : 18:03:04
The Wyrms of the North thread made me realize I never posted what I came up with for Aunagar based on what Ed said during this podcast (thank you, Eric, for getting my question in). Here is the quick and dirty that I came up with for Aunagar and his wife:

Aunagar the Black and Princess Cyanacia
Aunagar was already a powerful mage in Tashalar when he met the second daughter of an influential merchant in the spring of 1235 (the merchant claimed to be the son of a merchant prince that survived the destruction of Procalith in 1142). The daughter, Princess Cyanacia, was not unlovely but had spurned all suitors until Aunagar came along. They both recognized a mutual desire for power and thus were soon married. While it was simply a marriage of convience with no romantic love, they did develop a feeling of “ownership” towards the other over the years (“that is MY wife”, “that is MY husband”).

As a means of seizing rulership of the area, Aunagar studied what happened during the Rage of Wizards of the previous century. It took years of research, but he believed he had spotted the weaknesses of that plan. He then spent more years planning what he came to believe was a foolproof plan to acquire the power that both he and his wife was looking for. Unfortunately, there was just a couple of things he needed to do first.

To provide both the protection and power the plan required for his wife, he created for her a dress that would allow her to absorb magic cast at her. She could then use that magic to power her other magic items so that they would not lose charges or uses per day. It would also stop her from physically aging (a must have feature as far as she was concerned).

The second part was discovered through his personal divination cards. He believed that Savras had granted his prayer by giving him a vision of an artifact that would allow him to easily sieze power. To be able to gain the item, he would have to kill the old red dragon Hulrundrar in his lair south of Iriaebor. It was then that he made his Firestaff. It would both provide protection from the dragon’s most powerful weapon while also being of use to kill his main rival on his path to power: the ice mage Menalbdos.

And so, it came time that in the mid-summer of 1258, Aunagar traveled to the lair of Hulrundrar. Unfortunately for him, between the divination and his arrival, Hulrandrar had been killed by Balagos, “The Flying Flame.” Unprepared for how Balagos behaved in battle, he was summarily killed with a single bite, leaving behind only his staff and a pair of boots containing his now skeletal feet.

Princess Cyanacia eventually grew furious at her husband’s apparent failure when he didn’t return. She then came up with and started her own plan for domination. However, almost immediately after she completed her first step, a rival successfully poisoned her food and she died that night. It was then that she discovered the final power of the dress: to grant her an undead existence similar to that of a lich but grantable to someone that isn’t a spellcaster (Aunagar had planned to go though the steps to become a lich and that way they could rule together, forever).

Cyanacia is still active to this day. She appears to be a handsome woman in her later 30’s with a commanding presence. Of course, she does what she needs to conceal her undead status so she can move around in the social circles she desires. She has also operated under several names over the years. Through it all, she is still searching for that perfect plan that will give her dominon over her homeland. And, naturally, any news about her husband’s remains and their location.
TheIriaeban Posted - 11 May 2021 : 15:12:41
quote:

quote:

How about the Firestaff of Aunagar the Black?

More than said here?

https://www.realmshelps.net/npc/wyrms/balagos.shtml

I was hoping to hear more about Aunagar and maybe how it ended up in Balagos' claws? Who was he? When was he?

Another one would be The Shadowstar. I know we have had discussions about it here on the forums but it would be nice if something "official" were to be done to clean up the lore on it. And to also say what it can do. I know that is asking a lot but if you are going to ask for submissions, I might as well shoot for the moon.
AJA Posted - 10 May 2021 : 00:30:53
quote:

Looks like there will be a podcast on Friday, May 14, focused on magic item creation. If you've got a named but otherwise undetailed item from some obscure lore reference, put it here and we'll try to get it on the list.

The Snoring Shield of Antalassiter! (from The Temptation of Elminster)

sleyvas Posted - 06 May 2021 : 21:13:16
Hmmm, and I guess one final ... kind of a magic item....

The various "portals" that have opened and dropped Illuskans/northmen/Rus into various places around the realms (i.e. Rashemen, the eastern Shaar, etc...).... song paths made by the elves that got triggered by some bard singing a song they find with the "triggering controls" of the elven portal system focusing on certain words or snippets only that might have gotten reused in human songs?
sleyvas Posted - 06 May 2021 : 21:08:39
Hmmm, what the hell.... kind of a magic item.... magical pits

There's several magical "pits" found in places where either drow are or where there might be other underdark elements. For instance

The Pit of Maleficence in the Cliffside City of Peleverai in the Shaar where Gargauth was trapped
The Dark Pit in Narathmault/Dun-Tharos
Athamault the Iron Pit (from Lost Empires of Faerun)
The Pit of Ghaunadar in Undermountain

Other than them being obvious places of great evil, is there any other commonality to these magical places? Any of them similar to the wells of darkness?
ericlboyd Posted - 06 May 2021 : 20:52:54
quote:

How about the Firestaff of Aunagar the Black?

More than said here?

https://www.realmshelps.net/npc/wyrms/balagos.shtml

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000