Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Most Common Random Encounter?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2018 :  09:51:17  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Plopped into Faerun in a semirandom, no lethal location at level one...
What's the most common random encounter one could expect?

My best guess would be either wolves or goblins.
Though this IS the Realms we're talking about so canonically its more likely gods or epic characters.

Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2018 :  12:35:46  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The factor of Where in the realms you're throwing your party is key!!

Aa' lasser en`coialle n`natula brown.

(May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown)

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2018 :  12:57:10  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Squirrels.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2018 :  13:01:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller Hero

Squirrels.

Squirrels? Squirrels? WOOOFF... Squirrels? WOOOFFFF WOOOFFFF... Squirrels? WOOOOFFFFF.... SQUIRRELS!!!!! BARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARK WOOOF BARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARK WOOOF
BARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARKBARK

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2018 :  13:03:15  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a rural environment I'd say goblins, wolves, bandits, orcs, some faerie creatures, wild cattle, wild dogs... In fact, there are many animals you could use, specially of small and medium size. But mostly, either in rural or urban locations, human or demihuman NPCs (thieves or members of a nefarious organization - secular or religious, demihumans in a near-conflict situation to be handled, etc).

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 05 Apr 2018 13:04:20
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2018 :  14:40:27  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a city, probably "pickpocket".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2018 :  14:48:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a DM that liked having a particular pony pop up in all sorts of places, many of which you'd not expect to be readily accessible to ponies.

There didn't seem to be anything special about the pony; it just popped up in odd locations.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2018 :  17:50:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Orcs. You can't walk 10' in a fantasy setting without tripping over one.

"Honey, why is there an orc in our Living Room?"
"I don't know... he just came in and started watching TV..."

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
124 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2018 :  07:10:50  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose it would also depend on when the encounter takes place (as in what adventure are you running, is it a homebrew game, published adventure, etc.). For example, during Storm King's Thunder I found that the most common occurrence on the road between cities was a tie between wagons of commoners fleeing giants, or the giants themselves.

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."

Edited by - Balmar Foghaven on 07 Apr 2018 07:11:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2018 :  15:07:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unseenmage

Plopped into Faerun in a semirandom, no lethal location at level one...
What's the most common random encounter one could expect?

A Monty Python quote.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2018 :  04:01:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say all the same things "commonly" encountered on our world. Birds and (small) animals. Most of these creatures do have stats and writeups in the (early-edition) Monster Manuals, even though "encountering" them will almost never result in "combat" unless you're hunting for food, lol. I see birds and squirrels and rodents and rabbits all the time, they usually flitter away or scurry into a bush/tree without any need to break out swords and spells.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2018 :  18:28:14  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are staying true to Ed Greenwood's version of the Realms, the most common random encounter is an incalculably beautiful woman with enormous breasts, long lustrous hair, and probably wielding some kind of gods-granted mystical energy.

Oh, and she's utterly naked, of course. Even if you're in the middle of the woods, there's no way she has a stitch of clothing on her.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2018 :  20:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Giant rats.

You always have to clean out some warehouse or sewer or abandoned home from giant rats.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000