Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What's the story behind the "ahasts" of Corymr?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2018 :  13:31:00  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Alea Dahast
Amedahast
Thanderahast
Jorunhast
Vangerdahast
Ganrahast

Is there a story behind the naming tradition for the High Wizards of Corymr?

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2018 :  15:59:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure that it's been confirmed, but I had assumed they were all descended from Alea Dahast, and the name just changed over time.

It's also possible that "hast" is a honorific that becomes part of them.

Or that, like some real-world monarchs or the Pope, they assume a new name upon ascension to office (or even selection for it) and have the "hast" on there as a kind of connection to their predecessors.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2018 :  17:08:39  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assumed it was like Caesar; A nickname that became a title or, in this case, a surname that became a cognomen.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2018 :  21:10:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't the first one an elf? My thoughts here is that that's the human spelling - its really "Alea D'Ahast". with 'Ahast' meaning 'magical might' in some ancient elven dialect. Thus, the name means (in Elven) - "Alea, of great magical might".

And the rest just kept the moniker, adding it into their names.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2018 :  12:10:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just figured Ed was having fun.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2018 :  22:53:52  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd swear Ed gave an answer to this question at one time, but I can't recall for sure and where I would have placed it if I did.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2018 :  01:44:09  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I think about it, Alea (Latin for a Die) and D[u] Hast, (German for "You have") could be interpreted as "You got Dice."

Edited by - BlackAce on 10 Apr 2018 01:48:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2018 :  03:27:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

I'd swear Ed gave an answer to this question at one time, but I can't recall for sure and where I would have placed it if I did.

I thought so, too, but I've not been able to find it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2018 :  07:10:34  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Now that I think about it, Alea (Latin for a Die) and D[u] Hast, (German for "You have") could be interpreted as "You got Dice."

Of course, it could also mean « You Hate » (spelled differently, but pronounced identically), which then becomes « You hate dice. » Probably a player’s subconscious message
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000