Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tilverton c. 1357 DR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Finieous
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2016 :  00:57:12  Show Profile Send Finieous a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I searched the topic but didn't find anything on this, so I'm hoping some of the sages can help me.

I'm starting a 5e campaign set in "Old Gray Box" Forgotten Realms. The OGB Cyclopedia of the Realms describes Tilverton as a "small unfortified town." I don't have any of the Second Edition FRCS stuff, but from looking around online, it seems that Tilverton is suddenly a small city, and the maps I've found show it as distinctively fortified.

Was this just a revision between the 1st Edition and 2nd Edition FRCS, or did the history actually describe this much population growth and construction?

Thank you!

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2016 :  02:26:58  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When Cormyr took it over in 1357, they built the wall and had the streets paved, and left a garrison of 850 Purple Dragons. (Source: Cormyr game accessory, 1994, 2nd Edition by Eric Haddock).
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2016 :  02:46:28  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it changed A LOT in a short period of time. Tilverton was used as a staging ground against the orcs of the Desertsmouth Mountains, Zhent forces and the conquering army of Lashan of Scardale. Cormyr had had its eyes on Tilverton for a long while however due to its strategic location and important trade route but because of the aforementioned threats, Cormyr was allowed to garrison the place. Soon after, it was annexed & fortified.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Finieous
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2016 :  03:23:47  Show Profile Send Finieous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent - thank you both!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2016 :  06:33:39  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...and then nuked and turned into a hellhole by Vangey's toy colliding with a Prince of Shade. More or less.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2016 :  15:23:53  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not speak of that, shall we TBeholder? *sigh* 1357 was such a cool era for the Realms :)

Edited by - Seravin on 04 Mar 2016 15:24:15
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  22:46:21  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Finieous

I searched the topic but didn't find anything on this, so I'm hoping some of the sages can help me.

I'm starting a 5e campaign set in "Old Gray Box" Forgotten Realms. The OGB Cyclopedia of the Realms describes Tilverton as a "small unfortified town." I don't have any of the Second Edition FRCS stuff, but from looking around online, it seems that Tilverton is suddenly a small city, and the maps I've found show it as distinctively fortified.

Was this just a revision between the 1st Edition and 2nd Edition FRCS, or did the history actually describe this much population growth and construction?

Thank you!

Now this is a capital idea using the Old Grey Box and Tilverton.
Finieous I hope you let us know how it all works out.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000