Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Weave Whispers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  10:42:03  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay so I'm posting this file from WotC (mods feel free to delete it if I'm overstepping). I'm primarily interested in #4 (and I'm sure Sleyvas will be as well). I can't find anything here at CK that seems to have discussed this phenomenon though I think it will have something to do with mages who merge with the Weave upon their deaths.

quote:
To quote old Elminster during one of our earliest conversations together about spells and age-old, waiting enchantments and items that can spit forth impressive, deadly, and/or useful effects:
"Ah, the magic. The fire, the fury, the surprises lurking in the shadows. . . . Aye, I can see your eyes. I know it catches your interest more than almost anything else. It does the same to me -- still, after all this time."
The problem is, I have a house full of enchantments. The Simbul's private spells. Alustriel's court spells. A few "Elminster specials." Not yet published notes. Things I can't explain yet, or that might never fit into the new edition of D&D, or that are in there but are better told of by others who've reshaped them to make the whole thing fly better -- or who have some, ahem, big secrets that it's only fair that we save for now.
So here I've decided to just mention a little tiny something that won't be in the new Forgotten RealmsCampaign Setting book. Something that doesn't offend against game balance, no matter what edition of the game you're running. Some small but fascinating magic of Faerūn called "weave whispers.
Huh? You're hearing voices? Spells talk to you? Ah, did Elminster leave you something a little strong in a flagon, Ed?
Well, no. Weave whispers are just that: snippets of voices or sounds, usually from long ago (and therefore persons or creatures long-lost), that can be heard in certain places, at certain times.
Sometimes they sound when a long-extant magical field fails or is shattered. In other places they accompany almost any wild magic effect. Sometimes they're sent by the servants of Mystra or Azuth in answer to prayers or offerings laid upon an altar. Sometimes they manifest over the dying body of a powerful archmage or at the breaking or burning of an object that is (or has been) strongly enchanted (particularly if the object has at some time held some part of an intelligent being's sentience, essence, or power). Casting certain spells -- or any spell, in a particular place -- will sometimes awaken a weave whisper. Some cling to portals and can be heard by those awakening them or traversing them.
Here are a few that Elminster called up for my hearing. As for their meanings, I've no speculations that I quite dare to share. I'm sure you'll understand why.
1. Dignified, dry male voice: "Thoadrus is the one. A circle about an arc of three stars, his sigil. Beware the traps that always lurk in his craftings. The key to one can be used to trigger all his others, but also -- we know not how -- can serve to seal them until a key is used to break that seal."
2. Wondering, awed young female voice: "The stag-headed mage is the guardian, and Harper pins seem to fall from his hands at will, as if creating them is for him a matter of a moment's silent thought. I saw him touch a sword once, and it crumbled!"
3. A cluster of singing, bell-like tones, followed by an angry male voice: "Again, ye force me too far! Not every War Wizard can be bent to thy will! Some of us serve deeper dreams, and are every bit as stubborn as you! So bide awhile in these chains, and think new thoughts!"
4. Whispering female voice: "Oh, Mystra, that it has come to this! The emerald rod is broken, and the dragon that flies through minds is loosed. Thay will become what we all feared."
5. Curt male voice: "I find gargoyles more reliable. The one hidden in Castle Waterdeep has escaped notice these three centuries, and I can awaken it to my bidding with a single word. Meet my price, and the slaughter will follow."
6. Pedantic male voice: "There were three such swords. Only this one survives, because mages hate them: Their thrusts shatter spells."
7. Cold, level female voice: "There have been regents before, and there will be regents again. Don't let such qualms stop you from slaying and impersonating this one. Of course, you may not be the only one polishing such a stratagem."
8. Agitated young male voice: "The Simbul hid it here -- I saw her! Four coins in hand opens the portal, but it's guarded by faceless things with claws!"
9. Arrogant, aged male voice: "In time, we'll doubtless discover why the gods make one man so powerful. Surely such exacting investigations can wait until his murder's accomplished!"
10. Quavering female voice: "Six wands hidden by nothing more than a crumbling dragon skull located not three stones in from a door hundreds of courtiers pass daily. Is this wise?"
11. Male voice, murmuring confidentially: "The passwords are: 'Three ravens yet seven claws.' But mind, all of those words must be used at separate doors, one at a time, and the right one at each."
12. Female voice, wracked with pain: "Branter was right. We laid his bones behind Wyvernmaw Rock, and put his staff and rings there, too. The curse is on them still, but he said riding a wyrm was worth it. Those were his last words -- and these, I fear, are mine."

Okay so there it is. Does anyone know or have any speculation on #4?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 09 Dec 2014 10:42:46

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  11:41:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the dragon that flies through minds could be a few possibilities from the wyrms of the north series.

1 - Eldenser

2 - Iymrith

3 - Miirym

4 - Nymmurh

5 - Palarandusk

All these dragons are able to switch between bodies, are incorporeal, are able to spy on people, or their fate mentions the possibility of them persisting as some kind of spirit.

Its pretty weak, but its a possibility. Of course none of them have any tie to Thay at all.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  13:31:17  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice find. Very interesting stuff. Where did you find this?
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  13:55:25  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2000 or 2001 archives over at WotC. The article is titled 'Ed Says: Magic' (from the Ed Says series).

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  15:09:09  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll be sure to check that out. :)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  15:51:29  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The dragon may or may not be a literal dragon. I would lean toward not. Any outspoken or wantonly destructive or just powerful and unpredictable/uncontrollable person or creature might be called a dragon by some.

The rod might not be literal either. It could be the symbol or colloquial name (The Emerald Rod doesn't have the same "ring" as The Blackstaff, but it could be similar in origin) of a wizard or priest... seems likely to be someone with spellcasting power given the mention of Thay but it isn't completely vital for that to be true either.

I wonder if it referred to something in Ed's original post-1385 plan for the Realms. Emerald Rod could refer to the Yuirwood -> Aglarond -> the ruler of Aglarond -- either the Simbul or a regent in her absence. If something happened to the individual binding the Weave around Thay, or certain forces within Thay... then the binding unravels and the dragon is loosed. Eltab? Perhaps but not probably. It could be someone we haven't seen yet.

"What we all feared" is easily a reference to a land of death and undeath. Szass has always been portrayed as the most powerful and the most persistent of the Zulkirs. There is a question of whether that was Ed's intent or someone else's creative liberty. This is just my observation, but it seems like Ed avoids pointing to one as the most powerful of anything. He's all about foils and balancing acts... and the world wouldn't work otherwise. If there were constant conflicts between the most powerful this and the most powerful that, the setting would be an endless series of RSEs. I'm confident that that's WotC's mistake, not Ed's. The Realms of the old gray box was a place of complicated balances, where something was happening every day but most worldchanging things happened in the long term rather than the short. Anyway, I'm guessing and projecting.

Thay becoming something more/differently fearsome isn't necessarily about undead, and it's not necessarily post-1385. Maybe it's just predicting a rise to a different sort of prominence. It's been the home of dangerous wizards for 400+ years, but what if a new threat arose? Like the economic/political one posed by the Thayan enclaves. The seduction of readily available magical items, the ease of infiltrating local governments once Thayans (many of them not sporting red robes and tattoos, and thus essentially invisible) are placed conveniently in strategic cities, etc.

I think Ed makes a lot (not all, of course) of his "movers and shakers" humans and humanoids. This is why I suspect the dragon is human/elven/etc. Of course demons exist in the Realms, but there is sufficient evil in the minds of men to bring any world choking and bleeding to its doom. Which means its bright mirror also exists, and that's the stuff that bears our spirits upward. We know that mortals feed the seeds of darkest evil, and we want to see mortals triumph.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 09 Dec 2014 15:53:51
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2014 :  19:10:50  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay so just going to throw out some quick musings on the meaning of these 'whispers':

1. Obviously a powerful set of spells, perhaps a 'spell chain' that has defenses embedded within. I liken this to how one can create folders within folders in a computer.

2. An artifact hidden in a Harper Refuge (I'm going to speculate accessed through a gate at Twilight Hall and maybe from Storm's farm).

3. Rather obvious, though whose voice it is I'll just let Jeremy speculate on if he shows up here. I doubt it's Vangy's voice.

4. I'm going with a powerful dragon that learned spells to transform itself into 'mental energy' (though not psionic energy) and then got trapped into an emerald rod whilst its actual body decayed. Its escape allowed it to manipulate the minds of wizards early in Thay's history.

5. A tough one. Who in Waterdeep was over 3 centuries old AND a villian?

6. Magebane swords, perhaps with Spell Resistance.

7. This could have something to do with a regent of Cormyr in days past.

8. Could be anything. Too open ended to speculate.

9. I think this is about Elminster and may very well be Manshoon speaking.

10. A secret defense in the Palace of Suzail.

11. Could this have something to do with Ravensbluff?

12. Clueless here.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2014 :  20:09:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

It doesn't have to be someone currently active in Waterdeep... And similarly, whoever put the gargoyle there isn't necessarily the speaker. He could have acquired the means of controlling the gargoyle at any point after it was placed there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2014 :  22:40:20  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slightly off topic, but my mind has been read by a hamster. Recommendations?
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2014 :  23:41:23  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Artor Morlin?

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  01:23:01  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Slightly off topic, but my mind has been read by a hamster. Recommendations?

You need to start breeding with illithids.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  01:36:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay so I'm posting this file from WotC (mods feel free to delete it if I'm overstepping). I'm primarily interested in #4 (and I'm sure Sleyvas will be as well). I can't find anything here at CK that seems to have discussed this phenomenon though I think it will have something to do with mages who merge with the Weave upon their deaths.

quote:

4. Whispering female voice: "Oh, Mystra, that it has come to this! The emerald rod is broken, and the dragon that flies through minds is loosed. Thay will become what we all feared."

Okay so there it is. Does anyone know or have any speculation on #4?

Ahhhh, Arcanamach, you know me so well. Yes, I'm interested in this.

As to what it means.... lets go with wild speculation and state that it dates back to the formation of Thay. Maybe it has something to do with Thayd? The emerald rod is broken.... the dragon that flies through minds is loosed...

We have canon lore that Thayd returned to help found Thay, but he returned as some kind of being that flitted from body to body, burning them out as he went (of course, this lore isn't complete as other wizards are also designated in later lore as leaders of the revolt). Could "the dragon that flies through minds" be him? Could he have been trapped in some kind of phylactery/emerald rod, and the breaking of it released him in his incorporeal form?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  06:41:29  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

3. Rather obvious, though whose voice it is I'll just let Jeremy speculate on if he shows up here. I doubt it's Vangy's voice.
It could be Elminster, given the use of "thy".

However, my first impression was that it was the voice of another war wizard, and not Vangerdahast. The first one that popped into my head was Merula the Marvelous.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  09:50:34  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
We have canon lore that Thayd returned to help found Thay, but he returned as some kind of being that flitted from body to body, burning them out as he went (of course, this lore isn't complete as other wizards are also designated in later lore as leaders of the revolt). Could "the dragon that flies through minds" be him? Could he have been trapped in some kind of phylactery/emerald rod, and the breaking of it released him in his incorporeal form?

That is actually plausible, but then why refer to him as a dragon? Did he ever use a symbol of a dragon as a sigil or other type of identifier (or as a moniker for that matter...as in Thayd the Dragon of the East or some such).

Then the thing is was Thayd well and truly evil in that he would want to actively turn Thay into the cutthroat magocracy that it became (as the 'whisper' seems to suggest)? I never thought of Thayd as 'ebil' in that manner. Evil in that he would do anything to free himself and those under him. Evil in that he would do most anything to see Thay grow in power. But never evil for evil's sake.

Unless he was corrupted by demonic influence (which is also very plausible) or driven insane (which is possible, but I don't think he was). Of the examples given this one is the one that intrigues me the most. This is one of those instances where I'd be willing to sacrifice my pinky finger for an answer from Ed.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  09:55:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll get the scissors

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  09:55:48  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It could be Elminster, given the use of "thy".

However, my first impression was that it was the voice of another war wizard, and not Vangerdahast. The first one that popped into my head was Merula the Marvelous.

Elminster initially popped in my head as a possibility but then I kind of figured Ed would hint at that in the article. It certainly sounds like something El would say (okay it looks like it since we've never actually heard El's voice).

I also went to wondering about how old Cormyr is as it has outlasted most real-world kingdoms by centuries. Anyone of the older War Wizards from centuries past could have spoken in that manner.

Of course the verbage could have been Ed's hint as to who it was.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  09:57:25  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One other thing on speculations. This article was written in 2001 so it was well before the Spellplague/4e iteration of the setting.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  13:43:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That is actually plausible, but then why refer to him as a dragon? Did he ever use a symbol of a dragon as a sigil or other type of identifier (or as a moniker for that matter...as in Thayd the Dragon of the East or some such).

Then the thing is was Thayd well and truly evil in that he would want to actively turn Thay into the cutthroat magocracy that it became (as the 'whisper' seems to suggest)? I never thought of Thayd as 'ebil' in that manner. Evil in that he would do anything to free himself and those under him. Evil in that he would do most anything to see Thay grow in power. But never evil for evil's sake.

Unless he was corrupted by demonic influence (which is also very plausible) or driven insane (which is possible, but I don't think he was). Of the examples given this one is the one that intrigues me the most. This is one of those instances where I'd be willing to sacrifice my pinky finger for an answer from Ed.

Yeah, the "dragon" part took me as well. I'll admit my first speculation wasn't necessarily what I wanted. That being said, the canon information we have of Thayd when Thay is formed is less than friendly and leans more towards evil (whether he was so during his uprising in earlier centuries, can't say). I still like the idea however that it has something to do with the formation of Thay. I also like the idea that the emerald rod was something akin to a phylactery. Just to throw out some quick ideas and see where they float:

The dragon that flies through minds:
1) a half-dragon/half-human blooded spellcaster is freed?
2) A powerful draconic spirit is freed and enslaved by the red wizards, subsequently being turned upon Mulhorandi forces. This dragon is a psionic dragon (i.e. one of the gem dragon types... maybe even an emerald dragon?).

Who was the Whispering Female Voice?
1) The Simbul?
2) A powerful priestess of Mystra?
3) A witch of Rashemen who had been placed in charge of protecting the emerald rod?

What happened after the Whispering Female Voice?
1) Escalthar "the Black Star" was sent to guide Thay towards forming a magocracy?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  14:30:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asmodeus is sometimes referred to as 'the serpent', and in older folklore that term is synonymous with 'dragon'.

And in the 3e/4e bridge stories set in Thay (The Haunted Lands), I believe Asmodeus does make an appearance (can't check that - didn't read those).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  17:24:42  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Markustay: Hmm, I read the Haunted Lands trilogy but I don't recall Asmodeus making an appearance. How did I miss that? Sadly I didn't like the books that much and likely won't go looking for it but perhaps someone else will drop in with more info. Unless you're confusing him with Bane? He was summoned by Tam.

Serpent=Dragon does make sense though.

@Sleyvas: I wouldn't be surprised if the voice were a young Simbul. That makes a tremendous amount of sense, in fact. And she did have ties to the Witches of Rasheman so it could be both at once.
The Emerald Dragon idea makes the most sense now that you've mentioned it. If I homebrew anything on this I'll almost certainly go with that idea. Does anyone know of any prominent emerald dragons in the region? And was it evil (rather than neutral)? Or perhaps it was a green dragon with levels in psionicist?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  00:22:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Markustay: Hmm, I read the Haunted Lands trilogy but I don't recall Asmodeus making an appearance. How did I miss that? Sadly I didn't like the books that much and likely won't go looking for it but perhaps someone else will drop in with more info. Unless you're confusing him with Bane? He was summoned by Tam.

Serpent=Dragon does make sense though.

@Sleyvas: I wouldn't be surprised if the voice were a young Simbul. That makes a tremendous amount of sense, in fact. And she did have ties to the Witches of Rasheman so it could be both at once.
The Emerald Dragon idea makes the most sense now that you've mentioned it. If I homebrew anything on this I'll almost certainly go with that idea. Does anyone know of any prominent emerald dragons in the region? And was it evil (rather than neutral)? Or perhaps it was a green dragon with levels in psionicist?

Yeah, I was kind of wondering if the Simbul might have been involved with being responsible for protecting the "emerald rod" along with the Rashemi witches. Maybe it was a leftover from the Raumathari wizards, where perhaps they entrapped a powerful emerald dragon (possibly psionicist). Her subsequent keen interest in the doings of the red wizards may have had something to do with the guilt of having failed to stop the red wizards from enslaving the dragon.

As an aside, for the times, said dragon may have had ties with Jhaamdath before its fall (or not).... and maybe it had been entrapped in the emerald rod when it was crazed by the comet.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  13:27:42  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm now thinking it can't be the Simbul. Wasn't Thay already an established (and evil) power by the time she was born? If it was the Simbul then perhaps Thay wasn't all that bad/evil until the emerald rod was broken?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  13:46:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Was it Bane, then? Like I said, I didn't read it...

In my homebrewed version of The Realms, I have it where Bane is just the FR aspect of Asmodeus, so maybe thats where I got confused (I translated what little I know of the books into my own campaign).

Thay was involved with demons, not devils, correct? Too bad... it would be easy to work Asmodeus in as a 'manipulator behind the scenes' type of baddie. Ah, well... Thayd would make an easier fit.
quote:

I'm now thinking it can't be the Simbul. Wasn't Thay already an established (and evil) power by the time she was born? If it was the Simbul then perhaps Thay wasn't all that bad/evil until the emerald rod was broken?
From what I gather, Mulhorand was a 'big bad' back then, with its religious dictatorship and slavery. It could be easy to see the original group that broke-away from Mulhorand as 'freedom fighters'.

And we all know what happens to 'freedom fighters' when they win in the RW, right? They become the next set of tyrants.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Dec 2014 13:49:35
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  21:19:41  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah it was Bane though now that you mention it, Asmodeus would have been a better summons I think...if you can get past the idea of a mortal being able to summon a deity.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2014 :  00:25:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, she was born more about 156 years before the founding of Thay. Long enough for her to have become a significant power and possible guardian over some wychlaran items.

From GHotR

on page 74 discussing Aglarond royal lines
Alassra Shentrara "the Simbul" born 766 reigned 1320/

922 DR Year of the Spouting Fish
The Red Wizards [249, 934] of Thay, led by Ythazz Buvaar, rebel against Mulhorandi rule and sack the provincial capital at Delhumide. The conjurer Jorgmacdon summons the demon lord Eltab [202, 1367] to fight on behalf of the Red Wizards at the Battle of Thazalhar, routing the armies of Mulhorand. The realm of Thay is founded, heralding the end of the Second Mulhorand Empire.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2014 :  00:40:05  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah I see. Frankly I don't refer to the GHotR because I find it too difficult to look up exactly what I'm trying to find without a proper index and I couldn't find the info I needed in FR6. Anyway, I now fully endorse the Simbul as the source of that voice. I'm thinking of putting the question to Ed though I suspect yet another NDA.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2014 :  20:07:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious to see what a renewed Weave will mean in terms of things like Weave Whispers.

The talk in "The Herald" about dead mages lingering in the nascent Weave suggests to me that it might yet hold new mysteries and dread influences for modern era Realms adventurers to discover.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  08:23:52  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I'm the only one, but "stag-headed mage" immediately makes me think of Yimluth, the most powerful member of the Sword Heralds. He was a werestag and in theory was nearly immortal and stuck with a stag-head.

He was described as "at least 26th level."

As the topic of the Heralds is seemingly forever off-limits I doubt we'll get confirmation.

It is interesting to think of him as one of the powers behind the Harpers as well - perhaps a Master Harper and one of the original Harpers at Twilight. Great possibilities here.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  19:36:55  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
uuuuuuuuuuuuummmmm..that might be reference to Eltab....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  23:58:19  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I don't know if I'm the only one, but "stag-headed mage" immediately makes me think of Yimluth, the most powerful member of the Sword Heralds. He was a werestag and in theory was nearly immortal and stuck with a stag-head.

As the topic of the Heralds is seemingly forever off-limits I doubt we'll get confirmation.

It is interesting to think of him as one of the powers behind the Harpers as well - perhaps a Master Harper and one of the original Harpers at Twilight. Great possibilities here.

Where o where can I find more info on Yimluth, the Stagmage?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2016 :  01:23:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Where o where can I find more info on Yimluth, the Stagmage?

Volo's Guide to Cormyr, the appendix on the Sword Heralds. So far as I can recall, that's the extent of the info we have on him or the Sword Heralds.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000