Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What ever happened to Shuruppak?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2016 :  07:19:47  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone know what ever happened to the former Chosen of Gilgeam?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2016 :  10:06:25  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have this strong feeling that I read SOMETHING about him during the 4e era but I can't for the life of me remember what it was and I don't have time to trawl through my extensive archives right now (I need to create an index or something). If my feeling is correct, then it was the ONLY piece written regarding him since the Epic Level Handbook.

If he's still alive, it would be interesting to see if he'd be willing to work for the new Gilgeam in the war against Tymanther.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 05 May 2016 10:08:39
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2016 :  16:24:10  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see why he wouldn't to be honest. I think he would make a great active villain.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2016 :  19:05:51  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think, from a metagame perspective, it would be neat if they developed a narrative where a powerful segment of the dragonborn society of Tymanther were found to be worshippers of Tiamat, the evil dragon-goddess.

After all…. wasn't it Babylonian lore that Tiamat was an ancient nemesis of the original Babylonian deities and demigods? If I recall, it was the hero-god Marduk that first defeated Tiamat. I'm not saying that D&D Realmslore needs to follow exactly the Babylonian mythologies. But a clever tie-in between Tymanther and Tiamat would be a nice nod.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2016 :  19:25:44  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gilgeam and Tiamat were enemies in the Realms. Their avatars fought several times until Tiamat killed him. After Gilgeam's death though, the Church of Tiamat put a lot of effort into trying to make him their ally.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2016 :  23:09:08  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragonborn hail from Abeir were the Gods couldn't reach and therefore reluctanty excepting the existance of the Gods. Organised religion in Tymanther is only in its infancy at best, so its not likely Tiamat has many worshipers in the dragonborn pyramid cities of Djered Thymar.

Unther has had a history of Tiamat worship, and Chessenta has been ruled by Tiamats vassal quasi deity Tchazzar, who had a seat on the throne of Cimbar, up until the Spellplague.

If Shuruppak is still around he might believe it was his work that caused Gilgeam to return. It all depends on Gilgeams reaction to the atrocities Shuruppak made in his absence. Approval would lead Shuruppak to think he is in for divine promotion, while disapproval may turn him rogue.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11703 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2016 :  13:44:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Dragonborn hail from Abeir were the Gods couldn't reach and therefore reluctanty excepting the existance of the Gods. Organised religion in Tymanther is only in its infancy at best, so its not likely Tiamat has many worshipers in the dragonborn pyramid cities of Djered Thymar.

Unther has had a history of Tiamat worship, and Chessenta has been ruled by Tiamats vassal quasi deity Tchazzar, who had a seat on the throne of Cimbar, up until the Spellplague.

If Shuruppak is still around he might believe it was his work that caused Gilgeam to return. It all depends on Gilgeams reaction to the atrocities Shuruppak made in his absence. Approval would lead Shuruppak to think he is in for divine promotion, while disapproval may turn him rogue.

On the Tiamat / Marduk thing, its noted that Marduk was actually being portrayed by an aspect of Bahamut. Given that Bahamut was "making" dragonborn paladins before Unther was transferred to Abeir (and specifically only in Unther)... could it have been that Bahamut knew something about the upcoming spellplague transfer of lands, and somehow he was transferring humans that worship him over to Abeir (somehow "splitting" their souls between the two worlds and pulling over a body from Abeir). They would have been a rarity, and many of them may have been immediately killed.... but I think there's a seed there somehow that can be turned into something.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11703 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2016 :  13:46:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and on Shuruppak, making him the leading warlock of Gilgeam would be interesting (I find this particularly funny, as in my version of the realms, the theurgist adepts included many warlocks).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000