Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 what was happening topside during lollths silence
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  20:55:51  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
When lollth took a nap, how long was that years wise, and did anyone take advantage of that, who was not a drow?

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  21:51:13  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We've only seen a bit of who took advantage of the Spider Queen's silence, namely duergar and tanarukk attacking Menzoberranzan. But, being Menzo is only one of 40 known cities there were plenty of other incidents. You can't tell me that if you're a shield dwarf living in an Underdark hold and some local Lolth followers started having trouble that they wouldn't try to take advantage of it.

Heck I wouldn't be surprised if in the later months (or once they found out, if they did) of her silence, if Shevarash followers weren't mounting crusades against drow they could reach under the Dales for instance.

Canon wise I don't believe there was much said aside from the novels.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  21:53:01  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I completely follow your question here. Are you asking if anyone on the surface took advantage of Lloth's silence? For instance, did the elves move against her in any way? To my knowledge, nothing has been stated in canon about anything occurring during that time frame other than the events in WotSQ. At least, nothing that dealt specifically with her and the drow.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2390 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  22:15:02  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, 7 months, or so. And early on this was less than obvious even for most drow, let alone their neighbours.
And whom exactly would you expect to do what?
Black Arrow guys? They probably were torn between backslapping each other to unconsciousness in joy and tripping over themselves in acute paranoia.
The traders on surface and other long-term partners (e.g. Dambrath)? They probably didn't know until the end. "Ugh, drow matrons got even more flinchy? Must be that time of the century. Or just another bout with Vhaerunites, whichever."

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  22:44:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Silence of Lolth was a period between 28 Eleasias 1372 DR[1] and 28 Ches 1373 DR

[1]#8593; Eric L. Boyd (April 2007). Cormanthor: War Amidst the Trees, Dragon #354, p. 70. Paizo Publishing, LLC

Source: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Silence_of_Lolth

As for what happened on the surface I do not recall much being mentioned at all about that.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2014 :  12:19:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Almost all the surface dwellers are pretty much apathetic to Lotlth, pre- and post-Silence.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2014 :  14:03:29  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a couple of cities were sacked and some of the other races in the Underdark tried to take advantage but most people were afraid that it was just some ploy of the drow and were to afraid to act.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000