Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Travel time and distances in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

151 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  16:53:20  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't suppose that there is anyone who happen to know if there is anywhere where you can find distances and/or travel times between various towns/cities/places in the Realms, especially in the North, along the Swordcoast, and in the Dales and Cormyr regions?

I know that the Wiki has a few distances mentioned here and there, and the old Forgotten Realms Atlas (I think it was called) also had a distance calculator, though I believe that it measured in a direct line, rather than along the roads. But would anyone happen to have a compiled a collective list of distances between points in the Realms?

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  17:50:29  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a pretty good treatment of the issue of travel times and methods to and fro throughout the region given in the old 'Waterdeep and the North' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterdeep_and_the_North) and 'The Savage Frontier' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Savage_Frontier) gazetteers.

I'm not sure if those got updated for 3E in the "City of Splendors: Waterdeep' book (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/City_of_Splendors:_Waterdeep)?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  20:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The North box set (the 2e update of Waterdeep and the North) contains a table listing travel times by sea to various ports up and down the Sword Coast. There isn't a corresponding table for land caravan routes, though.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  16:47:23  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use this Time Travel Calculator, built upon Waterdeep and the North and City of Splendors.

It has caravan time too.

Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  18:46:54  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 3E Silver Marches Accessory, you'll find a small table of Distances between some cities a bit hidden on p85. Also, the 2E FR Boxed Set iirc contained an overland-map which could be overlaid with a Hexfield, for counting hexes… ;D

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  20:58:26  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ze,

Sweet little travel time calculator you've got there. Thanks for linking it!

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  22:25:49  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterX
In the 3E Silver Marches Accessory, you'll find a small table of Distances between some cities a bit hidden on p85.

Hidden so well that I never noticed it!!

@Kris: you're welcome. I'm just sorry I can't reference the author as I don't know - I picked up the link myself from some other thread long ago.
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  23:20:29  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

quote:
Originally posted by MisterX
In the 3E Silver Marches Accessory, you'll find a small table of Distances between some cities a bit hidden on p85.

Hidden so well that I never noticed it!!

Yeah. I had to skip through the book twice, actually, to re-find it. I knew it was in the book but didn't find it the first time i searched for it. Hidden too well, I'd say. ;)

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2013 :  06:00:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

I use this Time Travel Calculator, built upon Waterdeep and the North and City of Splendors.

It has caravan time too.

Can someone else look at this and tell me if I'm reading it wrong; is it saying the trip from Zhentil Keep to the Citadel of the Raven takes six days?

•The Zhentilar Trail (Zhentil Keep to Citadel of the Raven): 6
•Citadel of the Raven, 6

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2013 :  12:36:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apply the modifier, riding would take 2.4 days, walking though would take 7.5 days, the 6 days is for a cavern take the 6 days. Also remember this is travel on established roads, some of which might be slower because of tolls, speed limits, or other factors.

Also roads might have changed since this travel estimator was made.

Edit: Inserted word cavern, that I intended to type before.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 21 Oct 2013 22:54:01
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2013 :  22:49:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The maps also provide handy rough hints: “rest stops“ (usually a small inn/tavern with stable and a water hole, sometimes adjunct to a small village or military outpost) are indicated along many roads, basically spaced apart about a half- or full-day‘s ride. Although they usually assume a slow ride, the sort of pace a mule-drawn wagon or caravan could sustain, not the faster pace most players might prefer.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  02:36:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which map is this again? Is it available?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  03:15:44  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

It has caravan time too.

Does not seem to have the travel times for Silver Marches destinations. Am I just missing it?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000