Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Expanding 3rd ed. limited spell lists
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

muir
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2013 :  06:23:05  Show Profile Send muir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
3rd edition's prestige classes included some with limited spell lists, some of which were expanded between books, such as Hathran and Harper Scout (likely as they were included in the core) some of which were not. (Nentyar Hunter, for example.)

I do not really use prestige classes as written, and I am wondering what other spells, published in other books, might fit on various classes' lists. I know limited spell lists are part of class balancing, and I am seeking a few spells that fit the class flavor. The Hathran list is expanded by Shining South, which only makes sense due to spell flavor.

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2013 :  08:48:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took a different track with these prestige classes, and instead of giving them separate spell lists, the spells they have are added to whatever main class spell list helped them meet the requirements for the prestige class.

It made little sense for a ten level prestige class (sometimes with fewer levels than that) to have its own class spell list, so have it add to an existing list and give them +1 spell level like other prestige classes.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2013 :  10:59:56  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know how much it it effects balance since is a widely accepted understanding that most PrCs that extend the base classes spell progression are often better than one who comes with their own spell list. And even then, does it really put a Rogue 10/Assassin 10 on a much higher pedestal if they can select any wiz/sor spell from 1st thru 4th compared to a Wizard 20 who's casting Gate, Wish, and Horrid Wilting?
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2013 :  15:59:11  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is that spellcasting PrC, among other faults, have to either "sit between two chairs" - ostensibly self-contained, but rely on "+1 to the existing class" elements - or invent a bicycle on every level.
So, binding them to the prerequisites harder is a good approach, though still a half-fix.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000