Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Seeking Starmantle Help
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  19:02:56  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am seeking which of the 2nd edtion Forgotten Realms books had information on Starmantle. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  19:05:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There isn't much actually. Vilhon Reach has a little but there's more in Paul's Erevis Cale novel, which also has a map. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  19:14:34  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah Kuje! Thank you :) Your a life saver I was going through everything from Sea of Fallen Star to the Pirates...a snippit will have to do. :)

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2012 :  17:15:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gonna borrow this thread.

I found some info in SoFS about Starmantle (very little, but still more then anywhere else). Can anyone give me any sort of synopsis of the events in the novels Kuje mentions above?

I no longer have the Erevis Cale novels - there was a map of Starmantle in those?

Anyhow, absolutely ANYTHING anyone can provide (even some good homebrew) would be appreciated - I am trying to put together an entry for Starmantle for the Five Shires project, and I don't want to violate canon overmuch (I say "overmuch", because I've already moved the city...)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2012 :  17:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just flipped through the Erevis Cale omnibus and found no map of Starmantle proper. There is a map of the Dragon Coast region right before Twilight Falling, which includes the location of Starmantle. There's a map of The Ruins of Eglin Fau before Dawn of Night, and a map of the Sea of Fallen Stars before Midnight's Mask.
Maybe the map mentioned was in the single novels? If so, I'm going hunting for a copy.

Edit:
also, a quick Google search for "map Starmantle" found me a PDF file of the Ruins of Starmantle from Dragon magazine.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 05 Jul 2012 17:45:47
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2012 :  19:18:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strangely, the 4e material will prove helpful for something I had planned below the city (even though the conversion is set around 1357 DR or so).

I didn't know their was an adventure attached to it - thanks for that info.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2012 :  02:04:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall past lore for Starmantle featured in Ed's The Temptation of Elminster. But I can't remember where exactly in the book, though. Sorry Markus.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2012 :  04:14:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember that part, I think... something about that secret cache belonging to Karsus, and that lich (or ghost... can't remember) of some sorceress that Elminster helped in the end (doesn't he always?)

Who were those cultists again? I can't recall - I just remember them trying to take-down El and those two old Sages somehow became involved... something like that. I really need to re-buy The Annotated Elminster.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2012 :  15:19:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re-reading this part last night - TONS of great lore in there. Not much on Starmantle itself, but I found several new locales (including a deserted/dead village and a normal one).

The lore also lends itself PERFECTLY to the Five Shires project!

The area we turned into the 'Blighted Swamp' was the same region the novel refers to as 'the dead zone'... how perfect is THAT?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2012 :  23:30:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not much else in the published Realms. A few mentions in "Pages From the Mages" (Arcanabula of Jume & Unique Mageries), but that's about it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  23:28:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Re-reading this part last night - TONS of great lore in there. Not much on Starmantle itself, but I found several new locales (including a deserted/dead village and a normal one).

The lore also lends itself PERFECTLY to the Five Shires project!

The area we turned into the 'Blighted Swamp' was the same region the novel refers to as 'the dead zone'... how perfect is THAT?

Still at work on the Five Shires project here (slowly but surely)...

What did you have in mind for this MT?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  07:06:05  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The smattering of mentions of Starmantle in Vilhon Reach are annoyingly useless. "I'm from Starmantle." "Got to get back to Starmantle." "In Starmantle they say this or that." WTF was with that :P
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  07:12:34  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I recall past lore for Starmantle featured in Ed's The Temptation of Elminster. But I can't remember where exactly in the book, though. Sorry Markus.

This was Book Two 'Sunrise On A Dark Road'

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000