Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Cowled Wizards
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Slayermaster
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  17:12:32  Show Profile Send Slayermaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone have much information about the Cowled Wizards?

How do they handle mages causing trouble?

Do they have official authority?

Moi

Edited by - Slayermaster on 20 Nov 2012 17:13:04

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  17:38:57  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slayermaster

Does anyone have much information about the Cowled Wizards?

How do they handle mages causing trouble?

Do they have official authority?

Slayermaster, welcome to Candlekeep.

About your question, I recall reading someon's questions about the Cowled Wizards being answered recently. I think I read it in the Ed Greenwood Chamber of Sages section, look there or use the CK search engine.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  17:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a difference between the Coweled Wizards from the Baldur's Gate game (which I assume you're referring to), and the real Coweled Wizards. Though I love the BG games dearly, they sometimes play fast and loose with the setting, and the CW are one of the more glaring examples.

The truth is that wizard magic is feared and hated in Amn, for long and historical reasons. Valygar's opinion of mages is actually commonplace (and actually fairly mild, as he's willing to adventure with wizards). Wizards who practice openly are the subject of discrimination, harassment, censure, and sometimes assault. The Art is almost (but not in fact) outlawed.

To counteract this, preserve magical lore and keep the Art alive, the Coweled Wizards formed about a hundred years before the present. They're an underground movement, whose members by day are merchants, booksellers, etc., and who work in a cell structure, to prevent the entire organization being discovered if one wizard is taken.

They do keep watch on outlander wizards, primarily to make sure they're not going to do something flashy and evil, and thus set back wizard-Amnish relations even further. If necessary, they'll act against such wizards, but always quietly, out of sight.

Check the 2e source Lands of Intrigue for more information.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  18:01:13  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the pages 12, 13 and 14 of this years' Chamber of Sages entry for Ed Greenwood, they also can shed some light over some of your questions.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 20 Nov 2012 18:11:32
Go to Top of Page

Slayermaster
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  18:32:22  Show Profile Send Slayermaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information, I was speaking of the actual CWs and not the BG ones.

Moi
Go to Top of Page

Slayermaster
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  18:52:42  Show Profile Send Slayermaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, there only seems to be 4e, nothing relating to 3.5, which is what I'm playing in.

Moi
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  19:18:07  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look at what I wrote, SM. It's all 2e, and therefore 3e compatible. You asked what the Cowled Wizards were like, I answered, as well as pointing you at the best in-print description of them (Lands of Intrigue).

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  20:21:37  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cowled Wizards from the game are much cooler though, kind of like a wizard inquisition.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  20:58:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Look at what I wrote, SM. It's all 2e, and therefore 3e compatible. You asked what the Cowled Wizards were like, I answered, as well as pointing you at the best in-print description of them (Lands of Intrigue).

*grumble* I fail to have ever seen 2nd Edition compatible with 3rd Edition in any true sense.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  01:30:21  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2e lore? Absolutely. After all, a good portion of the 3e lorebooks (ie: Silver Marches, Underdark) are just reprints of 2e stuff.

2e crunch? Eh, there you might have a point. 2e is so much more streamlined, it's often hard to port it over to 3e's rampant complexity.

Go to Top of Page

Slayermaster
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  13:02:42  Show Profile Send Slayermaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Was referring to the questions for Ed thread.

I've read through Lands of Intrigue.

Moi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000