Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Government Types
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  20:18:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, since today is "Election Day" in the United States, I thought I would talk about the government types of the Forgotten Realms.

Well, not talk about so much as ask:

What are the government types of the various nations of the Forgotten Realms?

Cormyr is not a Feudal Monarchy (as an example), instead it is more an Absolute Monarchy (or in fact, a Tyranny) in my view. I suppose it could be viewed as a Puppet Monarchy when Vangie is around...but what indeed are the government types of the various Nations, City-States and etc. of The Realms?

EDIT: details would be good too! Like Sembia is a Plutocracy in my eyes...but I don't see how that works exactly. So I'm hoping for details.

NATIONAL GOVERNMENTS

Cormyr: Centralized Administrative Monarchy (added 11/11/12)
Impiltur: Decentralized Theocratic Monarchy (added 11/9/12)
Turmish: Democratic Republic (added 11/7/12)

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 11 Nov 2012 16:06:51

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  20:29:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've dubbed Waterdeep a Cryptocracy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  20:35:07  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Ok, since today is "Election Day" in the United States, I thought I would talk about the government types of the Forgotten Realms.

Cormyr is not a Feudal Monarchy (as an example), instead it is more an Absolute Monarchy (or in fact, a Tyranny) in my view. I suppose it could be viewed as a Puppet Monarchy when Vangie is around...but what indeed are the government types of the various Nations, City-States and etc. of The Realms?

EDIT: details would be good too! Like Sembia is a Plutocracy in my eyes...but I don't see how that works exactly. So I'm hoping for details.

I don't think we have an equivalent to a mageocracy in the modern world, but Thay and Haluraa are exactly that. both very different types tho.

Waterdeep does seem to be run like a "skull and bones" type club

Edited by - Firestorm on 06 Nov 2012 20:35:50
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  21:32:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There is usually a government behind a government. You mentioned Cormyr, as an example. It's a monarchy, yet most often than not, the Royal Wizard gets the final say. Luskan and Sembia are Plutocratic, yet we know that 'tis really the Brotherhood Arcane and Shade that control them, respectively. So in a way, they are magocracies. Thay, Halruaa, Rashemen, High Imaskar, Nimbral, Deep Imaskar, Aglarond, and the old empires of Netheril and Imaskar are all magocracies.

Chessenta, Arkanul, Damara, Samarach, and Athalantar are monarchies.

Amn, Thesk, Innarlith and Tashalar are oligarchies.

Impiltur's government is feudal confederation.

Murghom Post-Spellplague is ruled by dragons. What do you call it? Dragocracy? Lizarocracy?

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 06 Nov 2012 21:42:11
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  21:43:18  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've dubbed Waterdeep a Cryptocracy.

or a Dopplegangerocracy

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  23:12:27  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking a little deeper...if it is a Monarchy, is it a constitutional monarchy...?

A Magocracy is a loose definition...is it a Tyrannical Magocracy, a Feudal Magocracy, a Meritorious Magocracy, a ...?

This is the deeper things I'm looking for that may have been given light of day in a novel I haven't read, a sourcebook I don't own and etc.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  01:00:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Banarchy would be an "interesting" form of government. I'd think Cormyr is just a strange half-anachronistic Feudalocracy, paying tribute to Shadowdale's Elminstarchy, at war with Sembia's Idiocracy, Thay's Tamocracy, and Telamont's Shadocracy.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  01:14:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I think Banarchy would be an "interesting" form of government. I'd think Cormyr is just a strange half-anachronistic Feudalocracy, paying tribute to Shadowdale's Elminstarchy, at war with Sembia's Idiocracy, Thay's Tamocracy, and Telamont's Shadocracy.

Comedian.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  02:24:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Various tidbits from Brian Cortijo on Cormyr's government type:-
quote:
Cormyr isn't feudal, so nobles of the realm don't gain absolute right to territory, to then parcel out.

quote:
Cormyr is a centralized monarchy. There's nothing feudal about it.

Tenant farmers on a particular noble's land are no more beholden to that noble than they would be a rich commoner who owned the land: if they choose to stop renting, they can up and leave.

quote:
It's because they hold no real power, and the spreading thin of the family line leads to decadence and a weakening of the family name (see also: Cormaeril). Also, the farther one gets from the main branch, the lesser the 'automatic' title one possesses.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  04:38:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Incidentally, there's a form of government whose name is derived from a deity. Not Bane, though.

Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  08:41:35  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though I set my games in the north, I often have wondered about the political make up of the Dalelands. Any insight as to their varying political systems?

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  09:59:41  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would see the Dales as a loose confederation with everyone doing his own business.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  10:54:30  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I kind of figured that. I was looking for some more cannon type of info. Also, you are evil and are probably just trying to sew discontent. I cast the 1st level spell "Polish cavalry charge" at you. Haha!

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  18:55:20  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh if i wanted to sew discontent i would say that the dales rightfully belong under Zhentarim control
As for your cavalry charge, i counter with nuclear overkill

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  19:31:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How does one sew discontent? Does that require a special kind of thread?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  20:08:32  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Black Network does offer it for sale, for a cheap price and very endurable, seek out your nearest Zhentarim representative and strike the deal today, you won´t be disappointed!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  20:17:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

The Black Network does offer it for sale, for a cheap price and very endurable, seek out your nearest Zhentarim representative and strike the deal today, you won´t be disappointed!

So you're saying the Zhentarim are a bunch of seamstresses? Well, that would explain a lot...

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  21:16:10  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clearly there are some communities lead by Priests or Priestesses. Following the dogma of their deity. I seem to recall a few communities actually select from there peers a mayor. I however have not seen anything close to an open election where all can vote.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  21:52:47  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turmish is a democratic republic
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  22:28:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't some book list all the different types? I think one of the AEG books has a good section on gov't types as well.

Hmmmmm.... Wooly's got me thinking. Sewing discontent (with a thread of discontent) into the fabric of government. Weaving the tapestry of history, etc.... something there. I'm thinking some sort of artifact... perhaps Loki's needle of discord?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Nov 2012 22:09:06
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  18:47:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Machi's Nen-based threads.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  19:46:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
vorpalanvil

Though I set my games in the north, I often have wondered about the political make up of the Dalelands. Any insight as to their varying political systems?

They tend to each govern their own affairs. Typically through some sort of "democratically" elected local mayor or lordling. I view the Dales as basically being little municipalities.

[Edit]
Oh yeah, there's plenty of meddling Harpers manipulating these little governments. The Dales have traditionally been one of their stronghold regions (although the North might have more Harpers covering more territory, I dunno).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 08 Nov 2012 20:36:40
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  22:09:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is CK a Grognardocracy?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  22:31:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nope. 'Tis Oligarchy.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  22:47:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

I don't think we have an equivalent to a mageocracy in the modern world, but Thay and Haluraa are exactly that. both very different types tho.

Waterdeep does seem to be run like a "skull and bones" type club

Yeah, I'd call Thay a "Parliamentary magocracy" and Halruaa a "Peer-elected Monarchist magocracy"

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  22:54:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

There is usually a government behind a government. You mentioned Cormyr, as an example. It's a monarchy, yet most often than not, the Royal Wizard gets the final say. Luskan and Sembia are Plutocratic, yet we know that 'tis really the Brotherhood Arcane and Shade that control them, respectively. So in a way, they are magocracies. Thay, Halruaa, Rashemen, High Imaskar, Nimbral, Deep Imaskar, Aglarond, and the old empires of Netheril and Imaskar are all magocracies.

I'd disagree with Aglarond and Rashemen being basic magocracies. Aglarond is ruled by a mage, but there is no privilege for mages (well, not much), etc.. Rashemen is closer to a "normal" magocracy... but its "true" rulers are the wychlaran who are probably equally divided between mages and priests. Maybe a better term would be "theocratic magocracy"?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  23:10:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Yeah, I'd call Thay a "Parliamentary magocracy" and Halruaa a "Peer-elected Monarchist magocracy"
The Old Thay, yes. But Szass Tam's Thay is more like Monarchist/Tyrannical Magocracy.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  23:15:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I'd disagree with Aglarond and Rashemen being basic magocracies. Aglarond is ruled by a mage, but there is no privilege for mages (well, not much), etc.. Rashemen is closer to a "normal" magocracy... but its "true" rulers are the wychlaran who are probably equally divided between mages and priests. Maybe a better term would be "theocratic magocracy"?
Most of the positions of importance in Aglarond are held by wizards. That's pretty much an obvious sign of privilege given to their class.

The Witches of Rashemen are more like theurges than pure arcane magic-users and pure priests. So you migh be correct about your assertion that it's "theocratic magocracy." Though I normaly don't give much weight on the sub-type. Magocracy is enough, for me.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  00:59:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're composing a listing of governmental types in the Relams, Dalor, then I think you can use what I quoted from Brian Cortijo below as confirmation for Cormyr:-
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Various tidbits from Brian Cortijo on Cormyr's government type:-
quote:
Cormyr isn't feudal, so nobles of the realm don't gain absolute right to territory, to then parcel out.

quote:
Cormyr is a centralized monarchy. There's nothing feudal about it.

Tenant farmers on a particular noble's land are no more beholden to that noble than they would be a rich commoner who owned the land: if they choose to stop renting, they can up and leave.

quote:
It's because they hold no real power, and the spreading thin of the family line leads to decadence and a weakening of the family name (see also: Cormaeril). Also, the farther one gets from the main branch, the lesser the 'automatic' title one possesses.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  01:31:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So with Cormyr...an Absolute Monarchy then?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  01:56:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll leave that one for either Ed [via the Lady Hooded One] or Brian Cortijo himself.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000