Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Using derogatory terms for the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  06:14:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Does candlekeep have any place for Derogatory terms for the setting? Even if you don't like the direction the setting is going?

Choices:

Yes
No

(Anonymous Vote)

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  07:21:35  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I absolutely agree, both where versions of the setting, the game and fans are concerned. And this is something that all sides of the issue should take notice of, both generalizers and specifiers.

At the same time this must not become a sort of weapon for people why just don't like others opinion and therefore claim as hate-posts any term that they dislike. Common sense should be the first rule.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  07:22:04  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although a thread for derogatory terms used WITHIN the Realms due its various folk would be quite welcome. I wonder what Durpari call each other when their tempers are up?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  07:46:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Derogatory in the context of being critical and exacting ... I would say yes. Being able to openly point out and discuss flaws and dislikes with a goal of correcting them is perfectly fine.

Derogatory in the context of demeaning, dismissing, insulting ... of course not. It's just negativity; useless, selfish, even antagonistic. Moreover, it violates the spirit and letter of Alaundo's CoC, though our mods are generally tolerant and lenient towards chronic offenders.

Speak no evil, do not feed the trolls, and consider it not so deeply.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  09:27:15  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Does candlekeep have any place for Derogatory terms for the setting? Even if you don't like the direction the setting is going?

quote:
Originally written by George Orwell

"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?... Has it ever occurred to you, Winston, that by the year 2050, at the very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could understand such a conversation as we are having now?... The whole climate of thought will be different. In fact, there will be no thought, as we understand it now. Orthodoxy means not thinking-not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness."

derogatory - adjective: showing a critical or disrespectful attitude.

I agree that we should avoid using insulting language but banning derogatory terms would be a step too far, I think.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 23 Jan 2012 09:29:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  10:51:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a far more important question is, do we have a place for people refusing to respect the opinions of others, especially those holding a dissenting viewpoint? The refusal to respect opinions has been at the heart of almost all of the issues we've seen here.

I've gone out of my way to make sure people could discuss any aspect of any era of the Realms, without those of opposing viewpoints ruining the discussion -- even when I agreed with those opposing viewpoints.

How many others can say that?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  11:50:08  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well each to his own as they say. But that does not mean you should insult or otherwise degrade the viewpoints of others.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  13:50:32  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lets cut the crap, we know very well which derogatory terms are being thrown around: Sellplague, Smellplague, Shattered Realms, $E (then seeing *sorry, meant to hit the "4"*)... Personally, I regard such usages with a snicker and feel that I'm better than that, to resort to such verbage that apparently is meant to showcase displeasure. But that's what signatures are for. I guess we'd have more anit-derogatory feedback if terms were coined for other Eras of play and not just the one people here seem to dislike the most.

I could easily refer to the Time of Twits or Advanced Dummies & D-Bags but that only helps to fuel more anger, animosity, and separation which really isn't needed. I think, we as Realms fans, are better than that.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  14:08:38  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we're going to throw a ban on words related to 4E Realms, do we then also ban descriptions from 3E like "Justice League" and such?

Because if we're going to "cut the crap", then we should also be brutally honest and recognize that much of the name calling originated with people who were dissatisfied with elements in 3E. And now, they're being oversensitive when people do the same thing in 4E.

How about we just stop being oversensitive, hm?

I mean seriously, we could all become hyper-aware monitors and report every incidence of "somebody's offended by term X", but isn't it easier to choose not to be offended by tiny things?

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 23 Jan 2012 14:12:45
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  14:35:12  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Lets cut the crap, we know very well which derogatory terms are being thrown around: Sellplague, Smellplague, Shattered Realms, $E

I don't have a problem with those terms. Call me immature if you like, but they're not really that bad. Given some of the passions of posters here, I'm sure some of them would use much more abusive terms. And I'm sure we could all use much stronger and coarser descriptors.

Let's be honest, 'Smellplague' it's only a delicate flower of a person that's going to be offended by that. It's a bit of gentle mocking. Have skins really got so thin?

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  14:37:57  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

If we're going to throw a ban on words related to 4E Realms, do we then also ban descriptions from 3E like "Justice League" and such?

Because if we're going to "cut the crap", then we should also be brutally honest and recognize that much of the name calling originated with people who were dissatisfied with elements in 3E. And now, they're being oversensitive when people do the same thing in 4E.

I mean seriously, we could all become hyper-aware monitors and report every incidence of "somebody's offended by term X", but isn't it easier to choose not to be offended by tiny things?

I wasn't suggesting we "ban" anything. Just have some consideration and understanding that certina terms and phrases aren't necessarily nice or pleasant. I know I've used the Justice League analogy to desmonstrate my feelings for the Chosen, yet it was often in a heated debate and used for emphasis not just casually remarked EVERY time I referenced the Chosen. And if the Justcie League analogy is that big a deal, then I will -from this moment forth- not refer to the Chosen in such a manner (except in possible reference of the offense and situation).

And using derogatory terms just for the sake of "getting a zing in" or just to show displeasure about a product is just as childish as taking an offense to every single thing people say. How about just referring to a product by it's actual name, eh?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  14:47:28  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:

Lets cut the crap, we know very well which derogatory terms are being thrown around: Sellplague, Smellplague, Shattered Realms, $E

I don't have a problem with those terms. Call me immature if you like, but they're not really that bad. Given some of the passions of posters here, I'm sure some of them would use much more abusive terms. And I'm sure we could all use much stronger and coarser descriptors.

Let's be honest, 'Smellplague' it's only a delicate flower of a person that's going to be offended by that. It's a bit of gentle mocking. Have skins really got so thin?

Really? Then why bother with a pretence of language barriers in the first place? I'm one to NEVER report a post, because I feel free speech is important. Even if that post or poster uses language I personally find offensive. But I feel the consistant nuiances of using that terminology simply makes this place a worse area to come to. The consistant barrage of negativity can (and has) made me question if it's worth coming back to CK.

But I take heart in knowing that I'm better (in pretty much every faucet of character) than people who fall to such immature tactics. To me, people who use those phrases consistantly are often close-minded to dialogue about such topics and complaints from those people hold less water.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  14:52:15  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Therise

I wasn't suggesting we "ban" anything. Just have some consideration and understanding that certina terms and phrases aren't necessarily nice or pleasant. I know I've used the Justice League analogy to desmonstrate my feelings for the Chosen, yet it was often in a heated debate and used for emphasis not just casually remarked EVERY time I referenced the Chosen. And if the Justcie League analogy is that big a deal, then I will -from this moment forth- not refer to the Chosen in such a manner (except in possible reference of the offense and situation).

And using derogatory terms just for the sake of "getting a zing in" or just to show displeasure about a product is just as childish as taking an offense to every single thing people say. How about just referring to a product by it's actual name, eh?

The OP is the one essentially suggesting a ban. "The moderators must stop this!" (in another thread), it's "derogatory!" and such.

I don't care if people use "Justice League" or not. What I am saying is, let's be honest and recognize where the "name-calling" started.

We can bow to political correctness, or we can recognize that this is a game and develop a thicker skin.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 23 Jan 2012 14:54:22
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  14:52:41  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing wrong with a bit of banter about things we don't like in the realms. It's when some scribes go OTT with names that the trouble starts. On the flip side, getting upset because somebody uses a jokey term like smellplague is a bit ridiculous.

It's up to the mods to make sure things don't go too far.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  15:35:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think a far more important question is, do we have a place for people refusing to respect the opinions of others, especially those holding a dissenting viewpoint? The refusal to respect opinions has been at the heart of almost all of the issues we've seen here.

I've gone out of my way to make sure people could discuss any aspect of any era of the Realms, without those of opposing viewpoints ruining the discussion -- even when I agreed with those opposing viewpoints.

I try.

Can't say I'm always successful. You and I both know there are certain 'sore spots' (and these could be different for each of us) that folks can't help commenting on, even when they probably shouldn't.

It would be great if each thread could stay clear of the anti-sentiment of whatever the thread topic is, but this is the internet, and people are going to voice there opinions, regardless. On the bright side, CK is far better then most at keeping civil.

Our wounds are fresh, and certain people like to pick at the scabs and re-open them. Not sure why - it seems counter-productive (especially if those folks are who I think they are). But nothing lasts forever, and I'm sure that situation will resolve itself one way or another (hopefully sooner then later).

But I agree, name-calling is not the right way to bring peace. On the other hand, perhaps the designers can take a lesson from simple human psychology - if someone calls you a name, embrace it and make it your own. Not to be a jerk, but 'The Shattered Realms' actually sounds pretty cool - they should own it.

For example, during the "Rich Baker must be stopped" campaign, Rich made light of it, along with everyone else at WotC - he completely defused it, and made it his own. Of course, now he has 'been stopped', and aren't we all just a little saddened by that? Rich is a good guy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  15:35:43  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would a derogatory term about a particular D&D edition bother you unless you were the sole creator behind that idea?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  15:45:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GREAT point.

However, I would broaden 'edition' to 'lore' (fluff, canon, whatever) - it goes beyond editions.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Jan 2012 15:47:22
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  16:34:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

GREAT point.

However, I would broaden 'edition' to 'lore' (fluff, canon, whatever) - it goes beyond editions.

True. Either way though, it just seems silly to be offended about something that you had zero influence on making.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  17:07:37  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally written by George Orwell

"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?... Has it ever occurred to you, Winston, that by the year 2050, at the very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could understand such a conversation as we are having now?... The whole climate of thought will be different. In fact, there will be no thought, as we understand it now. Orthodoxy means not thinking-not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness."

derogatory - adjective: showing a critical or disrespectful attitude.

I agree that we should avoid using insulting language but banning derogatory terms would be a step too far, I think.

I agree with this opinion, though everyone is free to use derogatory terms if they think they have some reasons to use them, using them can, in some manner, offend the numerous people who work on the setting and collaborate in the Candlekeep forums. We should respect their work either we like it or not. On the other hand though, banning the terms or the people who use them would be going to far and setting a "censorhip" we really don't want to see in here.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  18:33:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[Not to be a jerk, but 'The Shattered Realms' actually sounds pretty cool - they should own it.

And it was never intended to be derogatory, either -- at least not by me, the coiner of the phrase. I offered it up years ago, when first saying that the 3E era and 4E era should be alternate timelines -- a discussion happening again, in these halls. I offered it as an alternate name to the "New Realms" which was being bandied about at the time.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  19:22:45  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[Not to be a jerk, but 'The Shattered Realms' actually sounds pretty cool - they should own it.

And it was never intended to be derogatory, either -- at least not by me, the coiner of the phrase. I offered it up years ago, when first saying that the 3E era and 4E era should be alternate timelines -- a discussion happening again, in these halls. I offered it as an alternate name to the "New Realms" which was being bandied about at the time.

I think it sounds great Wooly. It definitely makes you think of something violent, which um the Spellplague is

*On a quick side note: is there a story on how Ed came up with the title "Forgotten Realms" or should i post this in the Questions for Ed thread?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  19:49:01  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Derogatory terms" has many meaning, foolish and misguided certainly only a few of the many options. Those persons that use such words and conduct polls to ban them in my view both have the right to express views. The moderators, light handed, will take care of excesses of insults.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  19:51:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

quote:

I think it sounds great Wooly. It definitely makes you think of something violent, which um the Spellplague is

*On a quick side note: is there a story on how Ed came up with the title "Forgotten Realms" or should i post this in the Questions for Ed thread?

The Realms are connected to Earth, but most people on Earth have forgotten it. The inhabitants call it the Realms, but since we've forgotten them, they are the Forgotten Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  19:56:01  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Realms are connected to Earth, but most people on Earth have forgotten it. The inhabitants call it the Realms, but since we've forgotten them, they are the Forgotten Realms.

Which brings up another canon question. Since we know the Realms are connected to Earth, how did the 100 year time jump happen in the first place. Did the Realms somehow "skip" 100 years? Did we (and never notice)?
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  21:48:25  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apex

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which brings up another canon question. Since we know the Realms are connected to Earth, how did the 100 year time jump happen in the first place. Did the Realms somehow "skip" 100 years? Did we (and never notice)?

I apologize if this is actually covered in one of the products or if Ed has commented on it. Your question forces me to ask, is the Year of the Ageless One the "present" of the Realms and is that time locked together with our own present? At least one novel goes into the 1600s DR. The other question that springs to my mind is, does time move forward at the same rate relative to both worlds or does it move faster on one relative to the other? Either way, you have hit on an interesting question. Maybe you should ask Ed.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  22:54:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

quote:
Originally posted by Apex

I apologize if this is actually covered in one of the products or if Ed has commented on it. Your question forces me to ask, is the Year of the Ageless One the "present" of the Realms and is that time locked together with our own present? At least one novel goes into the 1600s DR. The other question that springs to my mind is, does time move forward at the same rate relative to both worlds or does it move faster on one relative to the other? Either way, you have hit on an interesting question. Maybe you should ask Ed.

This is an interesting question, despite my dislike of the time jump as a whole... my answer would be that the time streams of different worlds ("crystal spheres" to use 2E Spelljammer terminology, simply because that's the way my cosmology works) don't synchronize at all; time is literally a stream, and flows faster in some places at some times, and slower in other places at other times. I base this on some RW physics that suggests that unification of relativity and quantum theory is entirely possible if time does not exist... and relativity already demonstrates that the rate of time passage depends on one's frame of reference. Anyway, that's one possible answer.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  23:04:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To get this scroll back on topic after my previous post:

quote:

And thank you, Wooly, for everything you, Sage, and Alaundo have done to keep this place civilized. I know I've contributed my fair share of angst in the past, and I'm trying to dilute my trollish blood going forward, because D&D Next is a brilliant opportunity for all of us to get the game we want to play, regardless of what kind of game we prefer. I'll be the first to admit that a new edition of the Realms must include the possibility of avoiding the Spellplague if it's to hold any interest at all for me, but with what's been said by designers about inclusiveness of all eras, I'm optimistic that an alternate future is one of those possibilities. If WotC wants to bring back fans like myself (and I know I'm not the only one), it only makes good business sense. I'm not sure this qualifies as a rant, but I'll tag it as such anyway. [/rant]

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  00:29:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

As Ed has said:- "This, by the way, is where the “Forgotten” part of “Forgotten Realms” came from: we people of real-world Earth have ‘forgotten’ the once-widely-used gates to Toril, which gave us our legends of vampires, dragons, et al."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  01:39:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Sage

As Ed has said:- "This, by the way, is where the “Forgotten” part of “Forgotten Realms” came from: we people of real-world Earth have ‘forgotten’ the once-widely-used gates to Toril, which gave us our legends of vampires, dragons, et al."
I was always a bit curious about that.

Insofar as the "crap" goes, I just avoid bothering to respond to it. It's like raging at insults flung from the screaming mouths of hostile six year olds; these are utterly beneath the regard of any rational adult. More power to the trolls, let them waste their time being impotent and angry. The believer is a sheep who blindly accepts ideas, the cynic is a wolf who blindly rejects ideas ... the smart person thinks instead of being blinded wherever the flock or the pack happens to wander.

I routinely and automatically ignore certain attitudes, posts, and even posters, the medium often reveals more about the source than the content does - I imagine there are others who do the same.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 24 Jan 2012 02:09:56
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  11:18:49  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A word becomes derogatory by what the word is loaded with and how those it is directed at feels about it. Shattered Realms, Grognards, fine, but if used as an attack or a dismissive it becomes derogatory. I have not problem understanding why someone feels that Shattered Realms is used negatively and as a means to differentiate the 4ed. Realms from the others.

And I am noticing that I am still to pissed of here, so I will stop the post now.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  12:58:55  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Really? Then why bother with a pretence of language barriers in the first place? I'm one to NEVER report a post, because I feel free speech is important. Even if that post or poster uses language I personally find offensive. But I feel the consistant nuiances of using that terminology simply makes this place a worse area to come to. The consistant barrage of negativity can (and has) made me question if it's worth coming back to CK.

But I take heart in knowing that I'm better (in pretty much every faucet of character) than people who fall to such immature tactics. To me, people who use those phrases consistantly are often close-minded to dialogue about such topics and complaints from those people hold less water.

I can only hope to aspire to your own high standards.

Personally, I'm not going to throw a hizzy fit everytime someone uses a term like 'Smellplague' because I find it rather funny. 'If they were using terms like 'Spellfelch' and worse then it moves into abuse.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000