Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Using derogatory terms for the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brimstone Posted - 23 Jan 2012 : 06:14:55
Does candlekeep have any place for Derogatory terms for the setting? Even if you don't like the direction the setting is going?

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Laerrigan Posted - 29 Jan 2012 : 01:51:28
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And the writers guidelines imposed on authors since Hasbro has taken over clearly state that same-sex situations are not to be showcased in anything owned by them. Obviously, the multi-billion dollar Toy company takes issue with non-puritanical couples and their lifestyles.

Someone please remind me to write that letter to Ellen Degeneres and Rosie O'Donnell during the Christmas toy-buying season next year. I'm sure they would like to know that a toy company considers them freaks. It should be a helluva fireworks display.

I should also let Al Sharpton know about Mezro....

Apparently, Wizbro makes American Dad look like a Hippie Liberal by comparison. I thought the 'witch hunts' were over - welcome to the new Inquisition (by a toy company, no less!)

Wow. Can you imagine being dragged out of your home, tortured until you confess to imaginary crimes, and given an agonizing public execution, and all of it's done by a troupe of those Barrel O' Monkeys led by Elmo? I find myself wanting a realistic painting of that scene to frame . Thank you for the imagery. But seriously, a major toy corporation isn't out to change society, they're out to suck absolutely as much money as possible out of it, whatever direction the prevailing wind happens to be blowing at a given time. The standard of values is "What pays, maintains a consistent brand image, and doesn't cause more trouble than it's monetarily worth?" Saying "We don't want [A, B or C] in our products, but we can't tell you not to sell it to another company that does want it" doesn't seem much like an inquisition to me (you know, with the actual hunts, and the spikes and fire in bodily orifices and all). More like their view on business sense for their particular company. Ahhh, capitalism...

Jakk Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 23:22:05
quote:

Any troll that can count that high is alright in my book.

Besides, even trolls have the right to voice their opinions. We start erasing posts that offend us, that's a slippery slope right there.

My past self thanks you on both counts, Mark.

And I agree... the whole "erasing posts" thing reminds me of some ugly times on the WotC boards, and reasons why I still won't go back there. Part of me says that certain WotC trolls (no idea who they are, so don't ask me, not that I'd tell you if I knew) deserve a reboot to 1374 and a successful prevention of the Spellplague, but I'm not going to campaign for a reboot any more than I've already done. I wouldn't want such a reboot to be set in stone as the sole FR canon, for one thing, at least until some sales numbers are in and Wizards knows what's selling. Besides, I'm liking more and more the idea of the open timeline, if that is in fact what's being done (or even if that's been decided yet). I'll stop there before I pull this scroll further off topic than I've already done.
Thauranil Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 12:41:41
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Freedom of speech versus Libel. The battle goes on.

Libel might me taking it a little to far. Legal blargin-jargin can get confusing very quickly.

Thats true enough. I used the term in a somewhat hyperbolic manner to highlight the rambunctious discussions taking place.
Lady Shadowflame Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 02:51:41
Everyone knows how trolls count.

On their fingers and toes.
*sliced-off*
And then on their fingers and toes.
And then...
Aes Tryl Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 01:56:40
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

I'm sort of amused that he took the time to count them.

I mean... why? LOL!

Cos he is a troll and a good one . Trolls spend their lives doing meaningless things anyways. And as MT said, at least he can count (hopefully to 100 )
Markustay Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 01:49:02
Any troll that can count that high is alright in my book.

Besides, even trolls have the right to voice their opinions. We start erasing posts that offend us, that's a slippery slope right there.
Therise Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 01:31:21
quote:
Originally posted by Imp

Dedicated troll is dedicated.

Apparently!

Imp Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 01:22:34
Dedicated troll is dedicated.
Therise Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 01:19:54
quote:
Originally posted by Aes Tryl

quote:
Originally posted by Super Wizard

O sure bro, cept in the OGB there was 62 legal sex trafficers
Listed. In 4e? Zero

Sorry didn't read the OGB. Hmmm so what if there are no listed legal sex traffickers LISTED (oo yes lookie)? Doesn't mean that there aren't. Look at Erik's novels on shadowbane and you will find that there are still many of these sex traffickers out and about. Oh noes, my precious shattered realms has sex traffickers too??? whatever shall i do. Lol brah, just cos it's not listed in the sourcebooks don't mean it don't exist.

I'm sort of amused that he took the time to count them.

I mean... why? LOL!

Faraer Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 01:09:45
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There is no further need to follow up on this "Realms of Perversion" nonsense.

You say that, but Wizards is so missing a trick by not capitalizing on the Realms of Righteousness brand and cross-selling into evangelical communities. I'm writing James Wyatt a pure but angry letter tomorrow.
Ayrik Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 00:59:38
Although I oppose censorship, Orwellian edits, and "retcons" ... I do wonder why we bother to keep the antagonistic scribblings of every tenaciously regenerating multi-headed troll who lives near the keep. It would perhaps be better to delete all posts made by individuals who've stubbornly earned themselves a permanent ban.
The Sage Posted - 27 Jan 2012 : 00:38:13
quote:

Nice... mebbe we just need a name for the Realms *before* 4e. I think

Realms of Perversion wood be gud, amiright? Thiss is like for all the oldpervey people that like the Realms, with the prostitution cabals and 'oh boy, look fanboi, there goes 1/7 of a Sister halfnekkid! She wants to give you alez!'

lol!

So yeah, I think that if the 4e+ Realms are the 'Shattered Realms' then the 4e- Realms are

The Realms of Perversion

(fans of the pre-4e Realms, as opposed to the *real* Realms, are then Perv'nards)

*Shakes head*

Why do you even bother? Seriously.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 21:57:21
quote:

LOL - Freudian slip?

Amusing none-the-less
Markustay Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 21:56:38
LOL - Freudian slip?
Artemas Entreri Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 21:54:56
quote:

... the multi-billion dollar Toy company takes issue with nob-puritanical couples and their lifestyles.

"Nob" or "non"?
Markustay Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 21:51:32
And the writers guidelines imposed on authors since Hasbro has taken over clearly state that same-sex situations are not to be showcased in anything owned by them. Obviously, the multi-billion dollar Toy company takes issue with non-puritanical couples and their lifestyles.

Someone please remind me to write that letter to Ellen Degeneres and Rosie O'Donnell during the Christmas toy-buying season next year. I'm sure they would like to know that a toy company considers them freaks. It should be a helluva fireworks display.

I should also let Al Sharpton know about Mezro....

Apparently, Wizbro makes American Dad look like a Hippie Liberal by comparison. I thought the 'witch hunts' were over - welcome to the new Inquisition (by a toy company, no less!)

And brothels were considered a normal part of everyday life right up until the early 20th century, and since nearly every fantasy setting I know of is set in a pre-industrialized civilization, it makes perfect sense for Ed Greenwood to keep his setting - the amazing one we all fell in love with - as realistic as possible. Kudos to the man who strove for accuracy and continuity in everything he ever produced.

And how about all those powerful women showcased in the 4e Realms? Oh... wait... they killed them all. Apparently, someone HATES strong women (mother issues?)

lets not go down this road - the Realms were clearly designed by someone with a very disturbed agenda.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 19:45:25
There is no further need to follow up on this "Realms of Perversion" nonsense.
Aes Tryl Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 16:27:36
quote:

Listed. In 4e? Zero

Sorry didn't read the OGB. Hmmm so what if there are no listed legal sex traffickers LISTED (oo yes lookie)? Doesn't mean that there aren't. Look at Erik's novels on shadowbane and you will find that there are still many of these sex traffickers out and about. Oh noes, my precious shattered realms has sex traffickers too??? whatever shall i do. Lol brah, just cos it's not listed in the sourcebooks don't mean it don't exist.
Imp Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 16:22:17
New identity, Brace?
Super Wizard Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 16:20:16
Listed. In 4e? Zero

quote:
Originally posted by Aes Tryl

@Super Wizard

Trying not to troll, trying not to troll. Stay under yon bridge, wizard troll. What if the 4e realms had prostitute cabals and worse too? So would it be called the shattered realms of perversion? Trololol.

@Kiaransalyn

CLASSIC! hehe indeed the word ain't space ranger

@MT

QFT

Aes Tryl Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 16:15:12
@Super Wizard

Trying not to troll, trying not to troll. Stay under yon bridge, wizard troll. What if the 4e realms had prostitute cabals and worse too? So would it be called the shattered realms of perversion? Trololol.

@Kiaransalyn

CLASSIC! hehe indeed the word ain't space ranger

@MT

QFT
Super Wizard Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 16:14:03

O, I think the sesationallizing of prostitution, like in the Realms of Perversion, is gross, cuz I think that women's rights r gud. But in the Realms of Perversion women are bought and sold in Cormyr and lotsa other places legally, so I think that anyone who likes the Realms of Perversion mustbe a perv'nard.

Why do you like the foced, legal trafficing of girls in Cormyr so much, neo?

quote:

So are you saying 'Super Wizard' (of the coast?) that you found the former Realms disgusting, and if you had any say in the matter you'd just trash it and start over?

Some of us are disgusted by naked woman (and I won't even try to psycho-analyze THAT ONE), and some of us are disgusted by tentacles. To each his own. Fortunately, the Realms are about choices... or at least used to be.

And someone made a point - you would only get really bent out of shape when hearing a derogatory term if you were somehow invested in the subject-matter. If someone is using the term to make a point, then you can give them some leeway (I actually got banned one time from WotC for using a racial slur to describe what WotC did to Mezro - funny, eh?), but if they are doing so just to be inflammatory and start arguments, then NO, they are violating the CK CoC.

Markustay Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 16:06:23
So are you saying 'Super Wizard' (of the coast?) that you found the former Realms disgusting, and if you had any say in the matter you'd just trash it and start over?

Some of us are disgusted by naked woman (and I won't even try to psycho-analyze THAT ONE), and some of us are disgusted by tentacles. To each his own. Fortunately, the Realms are about choices... or at least used to be.

And someone made a point - you would only get really bent out of shape when hearing a derogatory term if you were somehow invested in the subject-matter. If someone is using the term to make a point, then you can give them some leeway (I actually got banned one time from WotC for using a racial slur to describe what WotC did to Mezro - funny, eh?), but if they are doing so just to be inflammatory and start arguments, then NO, they are violating the CK CoC.
Super Wizard Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 15:22:25
Nice... mebbe we just need a name for the Realms *before* 4e. I think

Realms of Perversion wood be gud, amiright? Thiss is like for all the oldpervey people that like the Realms, with the prostitution cabals and 'oh boy, look fanboi, there goes 1/7 of a Sister halfnekkid! She wants to give you alez!'

lol!

So yeah, I think that if the 4e+ Realms are the 'Shattered Realms' then the 4e- Realms are

The Realms of Perversion

(fans of the pre-4e Realms, as opposed to the *real* Realms, are then Perv'nards)
Artemas Entreri Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 14:47:54
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Libel might me taking it a little to far. Legal blargin-jargin can get confusing very quickly.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 14:44:19
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

4E Realms is just a virgin who can't drive.

Apex Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 14:38:48
I prefer Bizarro Realms myself.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 10:13:40
Well, I'm bowing out of this discussion. I'll leave the last word to Woody: The word I'm searching for, I can't say
Thauramarth Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 09:54:06
Not a big fan of 4E and the 4E Realms (well, honsestly, more a case of Ignorance and Apathy - I don't know, and I don't care).

However, even less of a fan of trying to stop attitudes and ideas by stopping the use of certain words or expressions. Does not work. Never has, never will. The underlying attitudes do not change, and if one derogatory expression is stamped on, two others will step up.

This said, by the standards of internet communications, even the most derogatory terms used for the Realms / changed Realms, are kids' stuff.

Just my take on things.
Thauranil Posted - 26 Jan 2012 : 08:42:40

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000