Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Thunder Twins
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  02:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has the concept of Thunder Twin dwarves been explored in any Realms novels or short stories?

I think this would be an interesting topic and would make for some very good fiction. It was mentioned in 3E but it seems like nothing was ever done with this.

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  02:19:39  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thunder Twins and Dwarven Mages just never sit right with me. Not sure why.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  02:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a shame because I thought it would make for some good dynamics in a story or novel. The concept is pretty unique, though I can see how not everyone would like it.

I like the idea of a Dwarven renaissance, that they are not a fading race.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  03:11:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

I don't know if Thunder Twins (or the Thunder Blessing) was ever explored in the novels.
Not specifically, but the 3e FRCS [pg. 10] contains most of the more pertinent info.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  03:13:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarves aren't a fading race! They're just busy, that's all ... doing things that need to be done. Humans can be trusted to screw things up. Gnomes can be trusted to complicate things. Elves can't be trusted with anything at all. There's just too many things that only a properly stout and industrious dwarf can do right.

Aim low, death from below, there ain't no glory without kneecaps.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  03:40:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't they just click their rings together and say "Thunder-Twin powers ACTIVATE!"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  03:56:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rings??? Manly dwarves don't wear jewellery! And yer "activation ritual" reeks of magic, Markus.

Dwarves clash their axes (or drinking steins) together whilst they bellow and thunder incoherently ... and dwarves all look much the same to lesser races ... thus we have the name of this feat, of course.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Mar 2011 04:50:59
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  05:28:08  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MT- GOOD one!!! ROFLMAO!!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  05:38:59  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Don't they just click their rings together and say "Thunder-Twin powers ACTIVATE!"

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  05:50:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Outnumbered and surrounded by heroes, grumblemumblegrogmwraarr ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  11:08:05  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like the idea of Dwarves being fond of jewelry, as an exception to their otherwise egallitarian way of life. they certainly seem to enjoy treasure and fine craftmanship, so it wouldn't strike me that they'd not flaunt their wealth.

hell, if you've earned it yourself you can show off whatever the hell yu lik, aye? XD

that said, lemme also say that I have a particular pair of Dwarven Characters who are Thunder Twins. it started off as just one Dwarven Cleric, but I had retooled him and reintroduced him as a Thunder Twin. then, I created his sister, Helga. Helga Hammershield is a female Dwarf Fighter. whereas Horgar is jolly and friendly, Helga is stern and driven.

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
a heart can only break so many times

Edited by - ChieftainTwilight on 22 Mar 2011 11:10:27
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  13:47:36  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Can't believe you beat me to that pun, its occurred to me too!

Are there any Thunder Twin feats or prestige classes?

I think I just might play a dwarf in my upcoming game, perhaps a pair of dwarves. I think Thunder Twins almost lend themselves toward troupe style play.

Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  16:53:15  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Wasn't there a Thunder Twin feat in the Player's Guide to Faerūn...? Hrm....

Correct.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  03:44:27  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember seeing a Prestige Class that had to do with gaining benefits in the presence of your Thunder Twin, but it was just in an article on a website. I can't remember if it was in Wizards.com or if it were just a homebrew.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  04:08:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChieftainTwilight

I remember seeing a Prestige Class that had to do with gaining benefits in the presence of your Thunder Twin, but it was just in an article on a website. I can't remember if it was in Wizards.com or if it were just a homebrew.

You might be thinking of the Thunder Twin feat in the 3e FRCS [pg. 38].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  04:51:11  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by ChieftainTwilight

You might be thinking of the Thunder Twin feat in the 3e FRCS [pg. 38].

nope, I clearly remember Thunder Twin being a prerquisite to this feat.

I'm betting it was just a homebrew I stumbled across, but I do recall a prestige class which increased a character's capabilities through bonuses and resistances based on being around their Thunder Twin or aiding their Thunder Twin (attacking the same enemy, using the same skill, etcetera). also, at higher levels, it gave the character the ability to communicate telepathically with their Thunder Twin, and to teleport to their Thunder Twin's location.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  10:54:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a player play 2 characters (they were only 3 Players so he played two character) and they were Thunder Twin Dwarves very fun stuff

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000