Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 PC dragon in humanoid form?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  00:49:58  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just wondering if there is a way to play a a dragon (for me either an amethyst, black, gold, silver, or grwen) in humanoid form. Any sources or home rew?

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  00:58:26  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Song (Were-) and Steel Dragons have a natural shapeshifting ability and seem to prefer a life among humans and demi-humans. In my game I have a Mercury Dragon that masquerades as an elven maiden or sometimes as a Cath-Shee (Elven Cat), but I don't recall off the top of my head if that is something I made up or if they are shapeshifters too. There was another thread about this not too far back, I'll see if I can't find it and link it here.

Dragon Shapeshifting

Also, Deep and Drow (Shadow) Dragons.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 22 Mar 2011 01:31:12
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  01:02:52  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon Magazine had a write-up in issue #300, I think it was, for playing dragons in 3.5 ed. Before that, there was the Council of Wyrms book for 2nd ed. The MM and Draconomicon in 3.5 also had rules for dragon PC's, and also Races of the Dragon and Dragon Magic. Don't know if there is anything in 4th. The only real difference for playing one in humanoid form is that there are some adjustments for the form taken- ie, some abilities can't be used (breath weapon, claws or bite attacks (unless the form has one) tail or wing attacks, and any ability that is dependent on the dragon's true form, such as AC or size modifiers. Magical abilities are still intact, I believe, as are spell-casting or other mental abilities.

Edit: Drow and Deep dragons are the same (drow is their usual humanoid form) and song, steel and yes, mercury dragons are included among the natural shape-shifting types. All others must use a polymorph spell.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 22 Mar 2011 01:05:49
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  01:09:46  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For more info on Drow Dragons, or draa'zekyl check this Web Enhancement: City of Wyrmshadows

edit: Oh no, Precious. Deep Dragons do indeed have a Drow form, but Drow Dragons like Patron Grandfather Mauzzkyl Jaezred or Lady Nurvureem, the Dark Lady are a different breed altogether, see the above Web Enhancement.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 22 Mar 2011 01:33:27
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  01:31:11  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps I should be more specific. They are actually the half-dragon offspring of the two races, but they have the blood of deep dragons. Although I believe there are shadow dragons in the mix, as well.

There was a deep dragon in drow form in the first book of the Starlight and Shadows trilogy, named Zz'pzora. She helped Liriel and Fyodor defeat the Dragon's Hoard mercenary band, as well as the deep dragon who was their ally.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 22 Mar 2011 01:36:31
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  02:05:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Fellfire — Dragon Shapeshifting
lol, nifty gimmick Fellfire ... too bad we don't have metallic colours ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  02:12:50  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, but we do, gold for Gildenfire (Mintiper's Chapbook-Part 7) said to disguise himself as a "man in green," and suspected to be the Hierophant Adept Sinklayr Greenstroke, former Grand Druid of the North.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 22 Mar 2011 02:31:01
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  02:44:42  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are the Deepwyrm Drow detailed HERE at the 'Keep and in Dragon Magic. Although I like the Forestlord Elves better.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 22 Mar 2011 03:10:44
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  14:30:08  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also in Races of the Dragon, there are a few feats (Dragon-Wrought, Dragon Wings, and Improved Dragon Wings) you can take as a kobold that basically turn you into a small dragon that has flight and a breath weapon. The type of dragon you are modeled after can be chosen from dragons found in the Draconomicon, Epic Level Handbook, MM, MM2, Monsters of Faerun, Oriental Adventures, and Sandstorm supplements.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  19:23:39  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
trad - you should add to your signature that you're accessing the boards from a nook and your spelling just ... can't be helped. :)

The questions I'd throw out there are based upon a 1e game that a I was involved in. When they tried converting to 3.5 the player of the "dragon forced into human form" character noticed that he should get the dragon hit die for the age category he was. That rapidly took an already high level character and dropped into a beyond epic category. So, I guess I'm just thinking that it is simply going to be difficult campaign to run.

Also, what happens with XP levels vs. age category?
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  12:47:18  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tradwitch1313

Just wondering if there is a way to play a a dragon (for me either an amethyst, black, gold, silver, or grwen) in humanoid form. Any sources or home rew?

The easiest way of doing it (in 3.0/3.5 edition, at least) is using the dragon monster class progression in Dragon Magazine. It's less complicated than going through the Draconomicon stuff, I think.

Brass, Bronze, Copper, Gold and Silver dragons are all in #320.

Red, Blue, Green, Black and White are in #332.

Just level in the class like you would any other.

quote:
Also, what happens with XP levels vs. age category?

Draconomicon (pages 141-144, specifically) has rules for it. Basically, at some points, it forces you to take Racial Hit Die.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000