Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hypothetical regarding Many-Arrows.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  19:00:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok. So. Say Many-Arrows is facing a population crisis. They don't have enough fertile land to support their growing population. Their constant war with the Uthgart and the various monstrous races of the Spine isn't doing enough to keep their numbers in check anymore. They look south and east, there's the Silver Marches; their allies, for whatever that's worth, not to mention an enemy that would entangle them for years if not decades with no guarantee of victory. They look north, and there's nothing but ice.

But Obould the 6th/16th(depending on whether you use the novel or sourcebook count, respectively) instead looks west. There's Luskan, a scum-hole no one else wants, a potential port for his land-locked kingdom. And between him and it? Hundreds of miles of good, usable land for his people with no one to oppose him.

So the drums of war thunder once again yadda yadda. Many-Arrows goes on the march towards the coast.

How does the Silver Marches react? Are they relieved the orcs aren't breathing down their necks anymore, especially with the shades encroaching from the other side? Are they alarmed by the sudden aggressive, expansive attitude of the orc state? Are they overcome with a need to defend the people of the savage frontier? Do they see this as a perfect opportunity to strike now that the orcs' backs are turned?

Posed this question to Ed a while back, specifically whether or not such action on Many-Arrows' part would be in violation of their treaty with the Marches. I'm curious to the other scribes' thoughts on the matter, though.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  19:38:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IF Obould approached someone else first - most notably the Lords Alliance & Waterdeep - keep the Silver marches out of it (they would not want to see Obould grow more powerful) - and explained to them his reasoning (destroying a pirate port and breeding-ground for miscreants), AND offered them FIRST choice of harbor-usage and trade concessions (there has to be something in it for them to go along with the plan), then it has a chance to succeed.

He needs a human or at least demi-human ally, and preferably a power in the North (depending upon how he is getting on with Mithral hall, that could even work, given the discovery of Baffenburg). Without first getting some sort of consent (without a consensus - he needs to approach a single power, else the result will be endless squabbling with no end in sight), it will only appear that obould is on the march, and going to kill humans and demi-humans, however 'scummy' they may be. Also, by approaching a single power, and NOT the Silver Marches alliance, he activates the 'greed factor' - whoever he approaches will want the choice pickings if Obould succeeds.

Also, if he is clever enough, he should uncover a plot (by Luskan) against whoever he is approaching, however contrived it may be. It can even be a complete lie, so long as the 'proof' is halfway believable (the greed factor, once again, will have certain types not looking too deeply into the facts).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  19:59:22  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also think this a very interesting thought, as it makes perfect sense for the orcs intheir situation.

Another question, though, is if Obould marches, is his power steady enough to hold the territory and avoid infighting with other warlords??
With him being tied in Luskan, a revolt in the "basic Homeland" would cause him great headaches, just by the immense distance.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2011 :  22:05:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark, Khan. Certainly some things to consider.

Another variable is the Hosttower of the Arcane; the ruins are still in Luskan, still full of arcane treasure, and still full of undead monsters. I'm sure there'd be more than a few individuals who wouldn't be keen on orcs taking Luskan on the off chance they could be the ones to raid that dungeon.

Which also leads to another possibility; Gauntlgrym. The tunnels from Lusken to the dwarven stronghold are ruined, but again, always the off chance the orcs could tunnel through or find another path, which I'm sure no dwarf would be happy about.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  12:46:14  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Mirabar, they are in Lord's Alliance
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  14:12:32  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mirabar was certainly a place that I was interested in in relation to this scenario; they're on the way, being the only major settlement between the Marches/Many-Arrows and the coast, and they aren't very friendly with the Marches because of their trading rivalry with Mithral Hall.

Also, (spoiler alert), in the Ghost King we have Jarlaxle setting up shop to turn Mirabar into a secret trading post to allow him to trade underdark goods with the Surface, a similar arangement to what he had set up in Luskan. Assuming Jarlaxle's still a power player there, he might have an interest in seeing Luskan restored, and could recognize the orcs as being the most likely to get it done, if only because they have the most bodies to throw at the problem.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  14:35:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would Many-Arrows be willing to find some allies over in Thar? More barbaric orcs in those parts, but still orcs. I wonder...

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  14:44:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmphf, orcs in Thar have never lost sight of their proper purpose in life, marauding and killing and bullying and raping and generally having a wonderfully monstrous good time.

Obould's pitiful mewlings would be scorned, real orcs aren't interested in peace, and especially not in agriculture and trade ... farmers and merchants are targets. Soft, fat, weak targets.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  15:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or bait, with which to lure in those orcs too weak to drag themselves out of the past and get in line.

Always a way to spin it.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  15:15:07  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Hmphf, orcs in Thar have never lost sight of their proper purpose in life, marauding and killing and bullying and raping and generally having a wonderfully monstrous good time.

Obould's pitiful mewlings would be scorned, real orcs aren't interested in peace, and especially not in agriculture and trade ... farmers and merchants are targets. Soft, fat, weak targets.

Isn't that where the gray orcs dwell? They are a pretty nasty breed I think.

Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  16:49:51  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmphf, orcs in Thar have never lost sight of their proper purpose in life,

You mean beeing cannon fodder for drow warbands or armies?
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  17:04:21  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

quote:

Hmphf, orcs in Thar have never lost sight of their proper purpose in life,

You mean beeing cannon fodder for drow warbands or armies?

Or slaves.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  17:30:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now now, we'll get to the beginning of the orcish servile wars later. Right now, the march to the coast.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  18:03:31  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Now we'll get to the beginning of the orcish servile wars. Right now, the forced march to the coast.

FIXED

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  20:12:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Orcs are too brutish and stupid to function as useful slaves. Well, maybe a few could be useful in the arena and torture pits. But they require constant oversight and assertive demonstrations of macho authority, it just gets tiring after a while.

How come nobody likes traditional big-ugly-mean-dumb orcs anymore? They were good enough for Gygax, they're good enough for me. Today's orcs pretend they're civilized?

I argue that civilization is nothing more than a consensus. For that matter, so is barbarism.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 28 Feb 2011 20:15:11
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  20:21:51  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I suppose you all liked your Klingons as brutish and violent also! Hmph!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  20:39:18  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you through big, ugly, and mean. You lose me at stupid. I want my orcs cunning, devious, and dangerous. I want them to pose a threat. I want elves and dwarves and humans to literally piss themselves when they hear an orc horde is marching on them, not treat it like a minor infestation problem.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  21:15:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing is more utterly contemptible than a neutered polite and peaceful klingon, Therise. They have a role to play, a hat to wear. People don't buy large wolfy war dogs then turn them into pretty poodly showdogs.

Unfortunately, I go with stupid orcs. The leaders, chieftains, and champions are cunning and devious; they need more than savage brawn to maintain their positions of authority. The bulk of the orc host is capable of hunting, raiding, and sufficient brains to avoid being killed by their peers; they aren't complete dumbtards but they aren't particularly bright and perceptive either. It's fair enough to assume the really dumb orcs don't even survive past childhood. I treat individual orc grunts about on par with low-quality human guardsmen, though with fierce attitude and (usually) a language barrier. Yet orc hordes have strong leadership (with strong discipline) to issue orders and strategies, sometimes quite sophisticated and cunning.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  21:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the average orc to be roughly on par with the average human in terms of intelligence, if generally less educated, is pretty much my standard. I don't want a whole army of evil genius bruisers running around. But if there is one thing I absolutely hate it's the dumb muscle character. I have no love for that archetype at all.

Plus I don't think I've made a secret of my preference for playing as the quote unquote bad guy and finding greater depth there. Orcs are far more likely to be protagonists in my stories/games than antagonists. Not necessarily "heroes", at best they'll be a rather bloody shade of grey.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  21:51:44  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nothing is more utterly contemptible than a neutered polite and peaceful klingon, Therise.

Apparently, I didn't use enough sarcasm. I completely agree, peaceful Klingons make me sad.

quote:
People don't buy large wolfy war dogs then turn them into pretty poodly showdogs.

Someone's never been to the Westminster dog show!

quote:
Unfortunately, I go with stupid orcs. The leaders, chieftains, and champions are cunning and devious; they need more than savage brawn to maintain their positions of authority. The bulk of the orc host is capable of hunting, raiding, and sufficient brains to avoid being killed by their peers; they aren't complete dumbtards but they aren't particularly bright and perceptive either. It's fair enough to assume the really dumb orcs don't even survive past childhood. I treat individual orc grunts about on par with low-quality human guardsmen, though with fierce attitude and (usually) a language barrier. Yet orc hordes have strong leadership (with strong discipline) to issue orders and strategies, sometimes quite sophisticated and cunning.

I prefer Orcs as evil, brutal, and animalistic. Inhuman, and eaters of man-flesh. I also prefer when they arise in sudden hordes, scaring the crap out of peaceful human villages. And maybe it it a little Tolkien-esque, but I'll proudly own that.

Warcraft Orcs... they should stay in Warcraft.

I'm not fond at all of the Orcs of Thesk and Many-Arrows. Highly disappointing, really.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  23:46:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Orcs are too brutish and stupid to function as useful slaves. Well, maybe a few could be useful in the arena and torture pits. But they require constant oversight and assertive demonstrations of macho authority, it just gets tiring after a while.

How come nobody likes traditional big-ugly-mean-dumb orcs anymore? They were good enough for Gygax, they're good enough for me. Today's orcs pretend they're civilized?

I argue that civilization is nothing more than a consensus. For that matter, so is barbarism.

I like them. And I like scro because their rise from this origin is believable, and they still retain some important characteristics with their ancestors.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2011 :  23:51:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I like them. And I like scro because their rise from this origin is believable, and they still retain some important characteristics with their ancestors.

I actually tend to prefer scro, as I usually make better use of them in my campaigns, than terrestrial orcs. In fact, this is one reason why I love DRAGONLANCE so much... No orcs!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  01:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what I liked about Tolkien's orcs? They were one of the most technologically advanced of his races. They made the best weapons and armor outside of Gondor, they had advanced medicine. They were cunning, intelligent, and highly industrious. Just so happened that Tolkien was a bit of a tree-hugger.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  03:35:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

I actually tend to prefer scro, as I usually make better use of them in my campaigns, than terrestrial orcs. In fact, this is one reason why I love DRAGONLANCE so much... No orcs!

To be more clear: I'm not a fan of orcs, but I prefer the "brutish warriors with a fell cunning" version of orcs to any other version of orcs. Scro are an outgrowth of this stereotype, and a logical one. Since you mention Dragginglance, it's rather similar to the way the dragonarmies of the War of the Lance gave birth to the Knights of Takhisis.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  04:13:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like scro as well. But they're not the same thing as orcs; they're smarter, better armed, and perhaps slightly less evil. Not known to be often seen on Toril, I doubt Obould even knows they exist. An alliance would be interesting, though the scro wouldn't join their backwards groundlings without motivation (ie: money and power which they can leverage in space).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  04:34:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

To be more clear: I'm not a fan of orcs, but I prefer the "brutish warriors with a fell cunning" version of orcs to any other version of orcs. Scro are an outgrowth of this stereotype, and a logical one. Since you mention Dragginglance, it's rather similar to the way the dragonarmies of the War of the Lance gave birth to the Knights of Takhisis.

Indeed. And it carried through into the Knights of Neraka as well. Sort of.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  04:34:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I spin it this way: Green (Mountain) Orcs are the newer chaotic type, and Gray Orcs are the old-school, lawful evil type (although art-wise, it is actually the reverse, but I am talking about behavior).

The Gray orcs that came through the Dark Portal... err.. I mean the OrcGate... were very organized. Note that their gods accompanied them, which proves that Orcish deities would approve of smart expansion. There is more then one way to beat your enemies, and even a god learns a thing or two after 25,000 years of getting his butt kicked.

Gruumsh knows the old ways (direct confrontation) didn't work, but he still wants all the Elves dead, which means he has to do it it in a sneaky way. The Orcs will still have their bloodbath... when the humans & demi-humans least expect it. Drizzt was the key, you see. before him, Drow were killed on sight. Now they can get away with all sorts of things on the surface (which is why Lolth loves him dearly).

It's the blow you never saw coming that gets you in the end.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  04:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of it, I think, is that Gruumsh is starting to look at the big picture. While the average individual orc is likely capable of breaking the average individual human or elf in half and at the very least put a good fracture in the average dwarf, on a large scale they're going to be defeated because they lack the infrastructure to support higher levels of warfare. Gruumsh, more than anything(and this is just my interpretation) wants the orcs strong. And if growing strong means modernization, he'd be willing to give that a chance. At its most basic its the same thing orcs have always been doing; waiting, building strength. Just now instead of caves, they're using kingdoms.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  05:43:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw, well now, no reason to go insulting dwarves all outta place like that. Ain't no such thing as an "average dwarf". Every single dwarf is above average.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  07:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To paraphrase the Incredibles; to say that everyone is special is a nicer way of saying nobody is. Though it is possible for the majority of dwarves to be above average if the ones that are below average are way, way below average.

Of course I was actually paying the dwarves a compliment, saying they don't break as easy as elves or humans.

Anyway. Any further thoughts regarding the scenario put forth in the original post?

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  21:10:02  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

IF Obould approached someone else first - most notably the Lords Alliance & Waterdeep - keep the Silver marches out of it (they would not want to see Obould grow more powerful) - and explained to them his reasoning (destroying a pirate port and breeding-ground for miscreants), AND offered them FIRST choice of harbor-usage and trade concessions (there has to be something in it for them to go along with the plan), then it has a chance to succeed.

He needs a human or at least demi-human ally, and preferably a power in the North (depending upon how he is getting on with Mithral hall, that could even work, given the discovery of Baffenburg).

Per the FRCG (4E), the dwarves (including those of Mithral Hall) are out of the League of Silver Marches/Luruar. Perhaps this is because they could never really see the orcs as allies. The Delzoun weren't willing to stretch their defenses thin by safeguarding all the smaller communities in the region--especially with a kingdom of orcs as next-door neighbors, methinks.

The dwarves might oppose an Obould-on-the-march--again--just on general principle.

And I think they should.

How do I like my orcs? It's simple: D-E-A-D.

"The only good orc . . . is a dead orc!"

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000