Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New Eladrin on the Moonshae Isles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  01:52:02  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Delete Topic
The Eladrin kingdom that exists between the realms that appeared on the island known as Gwynneth has apparently a new race of Eladrin. It said that these Eladrin were of the very same stock of Corellon Larethian hmself. If so, that would be absolutely amazng!!! Maybe these Eladrin are the original Eladrin that they all descended frm (actually, I don't believe they all descended from a common ancestr), but what could they be? Any ideas and snippets of lore would be fantastic.

P.S. The Moonshae Isle are supposed to be modeled after The British Isles and Iceland aren't they? The weather and landscape fits it perfectly, and the people, the Ffolk (Celts), and Northlanders (Vikings that settled Iceland), are a Perfect mold for this.

Edited by - Aryalómë on 12 Mar 2011 02:00:33

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  02:27:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tradwitch1313

P.S. The Moonshae Isle are supposed to be modeled after The British Isles and Iceland aren't they? The weather and landscape fits it perfectly, and the people, the Ffolk (Celts), and Northlanders (Vikings that settled Iceland), are a Perfect mold for this.

Ed and Jeff Grubb briefly discussed the origins of the Moonshae Isles here [which includes a little bit about Ed's original conception for the Isles].

As it is, Ed's Halls of the High King goes some way toward naturalising Doug's independently conceived Moonshae Isles into the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  04:01:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
The 'Eladrin', although 'new' from a meta-gaming standpoint (as in, that version is new for 4e, but the Eladrin themselves are NOT new), are of the same ancestry as elves, both of which derived from the Fey (LéShay) race (although precisely what that connection is is something we scribes like to theorize about).

In one of my posts I conjectured that Cor Ellion was of royal birth of the Fey - that royal line being know as the S'Eladrin (the prefix 'S' denoting noble birth), which later, through years of linguistic evolution, became 'Seldarine'.

Ergo, the Seldarine were the immortal children of the Royal Fey, before they themselves ascended to godhood through the reverence of their people.

The 'El'Adrin' were the 'rebel children', who left their mother's court to found their own homeland. The El'Ves were the 'loyal children', who stayed behind with Titania and her court, until ordered to go forth into the material world(s) and and stop the dragons from ruling the prime. The El'Adrin lived separately on the outskirts of Faerie, on the isle of Tintageer, until a catastrophe occurred and they, too, had to flee to the prime (Faerűn).

Once again, mostly pure conjecture on my part (I like tinkering with the theoretical Fey proto-language).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Mar 2011 04:02:57
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  11:35:41  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
What I meant is, are these Eladrin a new sub race of sorts. And is that mostly your idea? But Corellon made the Eladrin from his blod from his wars with Gruumsh...

Edited by - Aryalómë on 12 Mar 2011 11:38:03
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  12:32:58  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
those Seldarine creation stories are just that...stories...like most other creation myths....they wrap a kernal of truth in 1 million tons of make believe so that the believers can make sense of their place in the world. what starts out as a loose collection of oral histories soon becomes dogma.....thus a religious devotion is born...

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  15:17:10  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
I'm sorry, but that makes no sense at all. But let's please stay on topic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  16:04:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense at all. But let's please stay on topic.

I'm curious as to why you think it doesn't make sense? Because what Snowblood refers to about elven myths and legends has a basis in official Realmslore. The elven histories of Lost Empires of Faerun makes that clear.

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Mar 2011 16:05:57
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  18:19:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
The Eladrin are NOT a new race. They have been around since 2e.

What WotC has done with them in 4e is somewhat different then what has gone before, but they are NOT new.

All WotC did was fold the Gold and silver elves into the 'Eladrin' race (which, as I have stated, have been around quite awhile in-game).

So, if you think of them as Gold and Silver elves - WHICH THEY ARE {now} - then they are certainly not new. If you think of them as the planer race known as the Eladrin, then once again, they are not new.

The old-school Eladrin became some sort of 'epic' Eladrin from the planes, and some of those have 'returned' . Since the Realms have always had Gold & Silver Elves, that means this new 'lore' means diddily-squat. Also, because we never knew those particular Eladrin left in the first place, once again, that lore means diddily squat. It affects nothing.

Basically what they did is get rid of Evermeet - because it was too far away to be useful - and turned the Moonshaes into 'Evermeet-light'. That was the purpose of that lore, from a meta-gaming PoV. For most of us, all it means is that now - IF our PCs travel to the Moonshaes - when they find 'ancient elven Ruins' they can contribute them to 'the Eladrin', rather the Gold & Silver Elves. Its all just terminology BS.

And Rich Baker himself - one of the lead designers of the 4e realms - has stated that he doesn't understand why they used the term 'Eladrin' so heavy-handedly in the FRCG (in the 'Ask the Designers' thread). The excessive use of the word was completely unnecessary; as I have said, the Gold & Silver Elves have always been around. All the new terminology did was alienate a lot of old-time fans.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Mar 2011 18:20:29
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  18:28:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Markus — I assume your LéShay are the leShay from the SRD? Your S'Eladrin-to-Seldarine observation is awesome ... the only fault is that elves in the Realms refer to themselves as Tel'Quessir, not elves.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  20:24:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
which means " The People"

and what they refer to others means Not people.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  20:27:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Markus — I assume your LéShay are the leShay from the SRD? Your S'Eladrin-to-Seldarine observation is awesome ... the only fault is that elves in the Realms refer to themselves as Tel'Quessir, not elves.

Yeah, 25,000+ years has a way of doing that.

When the Leshay were introduced in 3e - in the ELH IIRC - many speculated that they were either THE fey-creator race often mentioned in FR sources, or an offshoot of that same race. I believe that in 4e it was firmly established that the LeShay are indeed the same folk as the Fey Creator Race (it may have been Brian James' article - I forget now).

The assumption being that The Fey (not 'a fey') are immortal, and that after thousands upon thousands of years those people - The LeShay (whom I simply refer to as 'Shee' in my setting) - are all 'epic'. This begs the question - don't they have children?, which logic dictates they do not (no-one is 'born epic').

Which is why one theory is that the Eladrin are the long-lived (but NOT immortal) children of the Fey. Something occurred in the distant past where 'True Fey' lost a great deal of their power, and some speculation blames the Affair of the Black Diamond (which logically should have occurred on Abeir-Toril, but we don't know for sure). So the Fey Creator Race (LeShay, Shee, Kami, etc) must have fled Toril for the Feywild, which they may or may not have created.

My best guess is that the Feywild was actually the Plane of Dreams, and a goddess (Danu?) sacrificed herself to create a new homeland within the Dreamscape for her people (thus creating the Realm of Faerie). And so, it can be interpreted both ways - the LeShay did indeed create Faerie.... but not really.

As for 'fey' (note the lack of capitalization) - that is merely a word denoting a category of creature that is native to the Feywild (but not necessarily Faerie). They were the (mostly) diminutive, indigenous beings that already dwelt with the land of dreams before The Fey even got there (which is why I prefer to spell 'Fey' as 'Fay' or 'Fć' - simply capitilizing it doesn't make enough difference between the two versions). So saying something is 'fey' just means it is 'of the Feywild' (although many types of fey spend their entire lives in the prime material).

I think Quale has a different take - one that I need to understand a bit better. I base mine - in part - on the Irish legends of the Tuatha Dé Danann, along with the waves of invasions that go with those myths. We both agree that most of fey folklore should be derived primarily from Celtic sources.

As for the linguistics - 'El' is the FEY word for 'child', or even 'one who follows' - it actually translates more accurately as 'new sapling that needs to be tended' (fey language is deeply connected with the natural world). 'Adrin' means something more akin to 'wayward/wanderers' or 'blown by the winds', whereas 'Ves' simply means 'planted', or 'rooted', and denotes stability.

'Quessir' is an Elven/Eladrin word (not Fey) which means something like 'children of the blessed' or 'of the immortal ones' in the original Fey tongue (which is probably Seldruin - note the written form is called Hamarfae). Through the years, 'Quessir' has simply come to mean 'the people' (or 'the Elven people', when translated by outsiders).

Hope that helps - like I said, I love playing with FR's linguistics.

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Mar 2011 20:46:00
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  21:40:23  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
But the Tel'Quessir migrated to Faerun FROM Faerie. But I'm interested as to where you got your lore from regading the LeShay. Also, wouldn't they have to have children in order to keep their race alive, say, after a devastating war? And probably the only epic Eladrin were the Noble Eladrin, who might be mmortal.
P.S. I knew Eladrin weren't new to D&D
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  22:57:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
The Fey were a creator race, ergo they must have been on Abeir-Toril (the pre-sundered world), long before the arrival of the Eladrin (and even the Elves, who preceded the Eladrin).

So this is what we have, canonically -

1) The Fey (LeShay) are a Creator Race - one of the five original intelligent species to inhabit the pre-sundered world. (multiple sources)

2) Fey have established themselves as the rulers of Faerie (GHotR, pg.7)

3) Thanks to a war between the primordials and deities, Ao is forced to split the True World asunder, and creates Abeir and Toril. Most members of the creator races are either destroyed, go into hiding, or flee The Realms.

4) The Fey sent Green (Sylvan) Elves to Toril to battle the dragons (GHotR, -27K, pg.8)

5) Catastrophe befalls Tintageer (the homeland of the High Elves/Eladrin), causing the Gold & Silver elves (Eladrin) to flee to Toril. (Evermeet: Island of Elves, pg.93)

6) Gold & Silver Elves (Eladrin) establish cities throughout the northern-western parts of Faerűn. Sylvan (Green) Elves continue to remain elusive in their forest homes, but (at first) have good relations with their ancient brethren.

7) Gold-Elven Realm of Aryvandaar is established, and begins an age of imperialism wherein they subjugate surrounding elven kingdoms. Dark (Ilythiir) Elves of the south become confrontational with other other Green Elves, using tactics considered unacceptable by most Elven peoples.

8) The Crown Wars occur - perpetutated by Gold-Elven hubris - which escalates and finally brings the Sylvan Elves into the fray. The Ilythiir - a dark tribe of southern elves - rise to prominence as a major threat.

9) Dark Disaster: The destruction of Miyeritar (Sylvan Elves) by Aryvandaar - a Gold-Elven Realm. The southern Ilythiir begin a bloodthirsty campaign against the Eladrin of the north, supposedly in revenge for their 'fallen brethren'. Many believe the Ilythiir just used this as an excuse. Both sides seek extra-planer allies of dark nature to further the power of their armies.

10) The descent Curse: A High-Magical Ritual is cast by the Eladrin of the north, causing the Dhaerow (Ilythiir traitors) to transform and shun sunlight, driving them into the bowels of the world. Many believe the Ritual - like so many others - went awry, and it had far greater affect then was intended (this is debatable).

From that VERY basic timeline, we can see that The fey were of Toril, and then were not. This occurred right around the time of the Sundering, so one can surmise that the sundering was the cause... which may or may not have involved the Black Diamond (Monster Mythology, pg.118). EDIT: I added-in point #2, because I just came across it in the GHotR, which makes certain of my musings less likely, unfortunately. I really have issues with a 'Creator race' (which is purely FR-canon, NOT D&D canon) is NOT from Toril - that makes little sense to me. However, the exact entry does not specifically state where the fey came from, or what they were doing prior to "ruling the other-worldy Realm of Faerie". The entry is just vague enough so everything still works (it just means they establish a base in the Feywild MUCH earlier then I had thought).

So The Fey left the world after some disaster, and quite some time later sent the elves to fight dragons back in Faerűn, and awhile after that the Eladrin (Gold & Silver Elves) met with their own disaster, and just like The Fey before them, were forced to flee their world (to one which already had many connections to the Feywild).

So history comes full-circle, and the children of The Fey - seelie and unseelie both - returned to the world of their birth and started anew.

I have a LOT more to go with all of that, but that would be mostly conjecture, and I am trying to keep to established canon facts as much as possible. Since elves are indeed related to Fey (that is a given, but exactly how is never completely explained officially), and elves and Eladrin are both mortal (unlike members of the original Fey), one can surmise that having lost their 'connection' to the First (True) World, The Fey were somehow 'lessened'.

AFAIK, the LeShay are ALL epic, which means that either The Fey race can no longer have immortal Fey children, OR 'LeShay' is just a Fey term for epic-level Fey (it could go either way, really). I suppose, rarely, new Fey can still be born, but that is probably only in exceptional cases (which explains why, in folklore, Fey tend to steal babies or trick humans into being mates - there seems to be some sort of biological problem there, which is offset by mixing with non-Fey DNA).

This does NOT apply to non-LeShay fey - things like sprites, satyrs, brownies, etc - can all still reproduce. The are not aboriginal to Abeir-Toril, and therefor were not affected by whatever catastrophe afflicted the Creator Races. 'The Fey' are related to fey in the same manner that genies are related to elementals - they are (now) linked to the plane from whence they hail (it is part of their nature). They are outsiders, and the material world is no longer their home.

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Mar 2011 01:07:06
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  00:18:11  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Well, firstly, all of the Tel'Quessir were originally Eladrin until the Green Elves (still Eladrin) were split into the Wood El es and Wild Elves (Elves). And a creator race doesn't have to originally originate on Abeir-Toril. And the fey include all of those with origins to Faerie, hence their adeptness to magic. Fey include Eladrin, Elves, Faeries, and all other sorts of fey creatures (even goblins!). Evermeet wasn't even destroyed, duringthe Spell-Plague, it got sent to Faerie, as did Sildeyuir. Eladrin (just in case there is no confusion, are Sun Elves, Moon Elves, andnStar Elves) regainedntheir ability to Fey Step, which lets them teleport back to their hhomeland, and/or reappear. Notice FEY-step.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  02:11:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Eladrin and elves are different, otherwise they would not be considered two separate races in 4e. One CANNOT be part of the other - BOTH must be part of some larger genus. You can say "Elves are Eladrin", and "Eladrin are elves", and on some level that may be correct... but the mechanics of the game say otherwise.

And Wood Elves and Wild Elves are the SAME THING - always have been. One group just prefers to live a more primitive lifestyle. Both groups, along with the dark elves, are Sylvan (Green) elves. The Sylvan and High (Eladrin) elves have a common ancestry.

The Eladrin that had been living in the Prime material for so long (because there were always Eladrin in the planes, since 2e) are High Elves, better known as Gold & Silver, or Star/Sun/Moon in the Forgotten Realms. They go by other names in other settings; there were never any Gold/Silver/Star elves anywhere besides Toril (unless 4e has changed this) - those are world-specific names given to specific groups of Eladrin.

As for Evermeet - it just went home. It was an echo of Tintageer, and the Elven ritual of Sundering simply tapped-into the Greater Sundering of the past, when the worlds were split (the text even states the ritual "reached backwards and forwards in time"). Evermeet was an Elven Domain (using the term from both Birthright and Ravenloft), and has 'gone home' when the magic that held it in the prime tore-away with the Spellplague. The barren island is what should have been there all along - that was the physical manifestation of the damage caused by the Elven High magic Ritual when they sundered the continent (wiping-out entire species, BTW). The Fey landscape was super-imposed over the barren land (think of it as a contiuous coterminus point - the two worlds over-lapped at that location).

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Mar 2011 02:12:38
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  02:28:02  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
I don't think you understand what I am saying, so let me clear it out:
Eladrin were the first Tel'Quessir
When they migrated from Faerie to Faerun, the Crown Wars created the Elves (the seperate race from Eladrin) who are consisted of Wood Elves and Wild Elves who descended from Green Elves, who were their Eladrin ancestors.
The Sun, Moon, and Star Elves were never changed, so they stayed Eladrin. Think of them as Sun Eladrin, Star Eladrin, and Moon Eladrin. WotC or whoever changed the Eladrin over from celestial to fey and divided up the more fey of the Elves and changed them over to Eladrin. Eladrin are no longer te celestials from previous versions, but are now fey. The Eladrin of Faerun callednthemselves Elves , though, until Faerie reemerged and they regainedntheir Eladrin abilities.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  02:42:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
The Crown Wars created the elves?

That's news to me.

Elves were on Toril FIRST, according to the Grand History of the Realms; they were sent by The Fey. Eladrin arrived 1600 years later - pg.8, GHotR.

The Crown Wars created the Drow, in -10,000DR.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Mar 2011 02:43:09
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  03:08:32  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Not according to 4e and when Grand Histry of the Realms came out, Eladrin weren't fey then.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  03:31:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
The Crown Wars were fought between elven nations. It's hard to have elves being created in a war if they were fighting in it already.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  03:42:52  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
The Green Elves (Eladrin) I guess exilex themselves and became thw Elves. That's when they became a new race. The Eladrin were called ___ Elves because they looked like Elves and those people that called them that probably didn't know of Eladrin. But now since Faerie has re opened, people are startig to call them Eladrin, the Eladrin are even calling themselves Eladri when not speakng Elven.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  04:21:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Not according to 4e and when Grand Histry of the Realms came out, Eladrin weren't fey then.

Can you show me where this was stated?

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  04:30:23  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
They were celestials thingz before, Iremember looking it up a looooooong time ago. I've never even heard of this stuff that Markustay said earlierx.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  07:40:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message

Where is LK when we really need him, or GothicDan...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 13 Mar 2011 07:42:01
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  00:42:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
What I said early on was mostly conjecture (and stated as much). HOWEVER, in the post where I had numbered points (the timeline), that was ENTIRELY canon (although my own feelings may have colored the specific way things were said - I tried to keep the 'spin' as neutral-toned as possible).

Yes, where are the Gothic and Momentary Ones when though needest them most?

quote:

<snip>...the Eladrin are even calling themselves Eladri when not speakng Elven.
Nope

At least three designers and a handful of authors have specifically stated that in the Realms, the terms 'Gold' and 'Silver' are still in-use. The (new) 'Eladrin' terminology is an artifact of the core setting, and should ONLY be applied to FR in a meta-gaming fashion.

So YES, we know that the Fey/Eladrin/Elves are all one big happy bunch... or more like a highly dysfunctional family... BUT IN-GAME, in the setting itself and amongst the various folk of The Realms, the old terminology is STILL IN USE.

Seriously, I have read Rich Baker's 4e novels, and a handfull of others that take place in the new setting (the "Ed greenwood Presents..." series), and I can't even remember a single usage of the word 'Eladrin'.

But I remember them using the word 'Elves' many, MANY times. In fact, RB's main character learned his Swordmage skills in Myth Drannor, amongst the Gold and silver Elves. you would think one of the guys who was lead-designer on 4e would know what he is talking about.

His arch enemy - the main antagonist - is repeatedly called 'an elf'. He is referred to as an 'Elf Mage' TWICE on page one (of Swordmage), and Geran Hullmaster's mentor is referred to as a 'Sun Elf'... also on PAGE 1.

So really, it matters not all what a CORE source says in light of what the guys who write FR lore are saying... and they ain't sayin' 'Eladrin', that's for sure.

In fact, considering how universally avoided the term is in FR novels, I have to wonder at who thought 'Eladrin' was such a kewl 'catch all' for the Elven family group. Just about every game system (including early editions of D&D) had 'High Elves' and 'Wood (Sylvan) Elves'. What was the point in creating all this confusion? 'High Elf' wasn't god enough? They were afraid the kiddies would think the elves were all smoking crack or something?

I would only use the term 'Eladrin' in-game when planer elves were encountered. Eladrin are elves, not the other way around (IMHO).

And I now need to take a shower... all this talk of tree-huggers has made me feel dirty. I need to read about something good now, like an Orc, or a Drow, or Spawn of Hell.... This particular argument is best left for someone who actually likes the little buggers.

EDIT: I added-in point #2 (in my above post), because I just came across it in the GHotR, which makes certain of my musings less likely, unfortunately. I really have issues with a 'Creator Race' (which is purely FR-canon) NOT being from Toril - that makes little sense to me. However, the exact entry does not specifically state where the Fey came from, or what they were doing prior to "ruling the other-worldy Realm of Faerie". The entry is just vague enough so everything still works (it just means they established a base in the Feywild MUCH earlier then I had thought).

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Mar 2011 01:32:59
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  01:21:09  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Yes I know te term Elf is still used but more and more Eladrin are starting to view themselves as not Elves (because they aren't).
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  02:11:27  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
The fey tricked primitive tribes of green elves into Toril to fight their wars against the dragons for them. The refugees from Tintageer came as a group of Gold Elves with a single Silver Elf, the merchant Sharlario Moonflower, a devout worshipper of Sehanine. Prince Durothil, the last Gold Elf heir to the throne of the island realm of Tintageer was a Corellon worshipper. The two leaders had their own followers, those who followed the leadership of Sharlario, the sea-faring merchant, took for themselves Sehanine as their patron deity and thus, became known as the elves of house Moonflower, or "Moon Elves". Those loyal to the Durothils, the house of the Sun, were "Sun Elves", each house of survivors intermarried heavily with the local Green Elf clans. The differences between the two lines began as political and religious ones, "race" only entered into it much later....so the "Eladrin", who first emerged as refugees from their own folly have not existed as true "Eladrin" for more than 22000+ years. In actuality they are are physical and cultural hybrid race some of whom have ancestors who came from Faerie, millenia ago.

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  02:27:02  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message
Where did you get this from? Andndidnit mention Star Elves at all?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  05:26:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Nope

Star-Elves were shoe-horned into the Realms last minute, and most of us don't like 'em.

Damn angler fish.....

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  06:11:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I don't mind star elves. But I'm more interested in Sildeyüir.

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  10:31:44  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Elaine Cunnighams Evermeet novel

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  10:36:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
tradwitch1313 you should get a copy of Evermeet Island of the Elves and read it...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked