Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Films of Interest to Realms Fans . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 74

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  15:43:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

You mentioned Tony fears "mysticism." Does that mean he fears magic too? If so, how did he manage working with Dr. Strange as a fellow Avenger?
Both Tony and Stephen occupied different teams of Avengers. Iron Man traditionally stands with the classic "core" Avengers, while Doctor Strange ran with the "New" Avengers, which operated more with 'street-level' threats than big galaxy-threatening events that the "core" Avengers would have to deal with.
Isn't that rather "strange"? I thought Doctor Strange only steps in when the threat is too much for the "regular" heroes to handle?

It's worth noting that that was at the time that Strange had lost his position as Sorcerer Supreme of the Earth dimension, so he'd kind of fallen to a low point in his career. Handling threats that would be too much for regular heroes was the job of the then Sorcerer Supreme [Brother Voodoo, as I've discussed with you previously].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  15:59:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ah, I see. And thanks for all the tidbits.

-------------------------------

Welcome to the Punch - I like James, but this trailer is quite . . . disappointing.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 15 Mar 2013 17:57:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  00:35:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Welcome to the Punch - I like James, but this trailer is quite . . . disappointing.

Doesn't seem all that appealing for me. But, then, I tend to shy away from these kinds of films anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  13:02:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Doesn't seem all that appealing for me. But, then, I tend to shy away from these kinds of films anyway.
You mean action/espionage/spy/thriller? You can at least try those that have a dose of sci-fi elements in them, given that you're a sci-fi fan. I would recommend the films based on/adapted from the works of Philip K. Dick.

--------------------------------------------

Despicable Me Mini Movie - I miss these funny yellow rascals. I can't wait for the sequel!

Edited by - Dennis on 16 Mar 2013 14:35:16
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  10:02:51  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I think its time for me to rant some more... I just saw a preview for The place beyond the Pines, which looks like it could be great. One problem though. Ryan Gosling is the lead.

Now I know the ladies think he's pretty, but that kid cannot act to save his life. He is exactly the same in every fkin movie. Its like Marky Mark turned blond. Don't put him in movies that require acting with depth and nuance ffs.

Anyone agree?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  10:15:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have nothing against Ryan. He was good in The Notebook and Crazy, Stupid, Love. And I heard his performance in Drive deserved an Oscar nomination, though I didn't see that film, nor do I intend to.

The problem is not Ryan, it's the movie itself. The Place Beyond the Pines, judging by its trailer, is quite depressing. And most often than not, I tend to avoid depressing films. (Note: Depressing does not necessarily mean tragic. Some films with tragic ending still manage to have to some lighter atmosphere before the last twenty minutes or so.)

Edited by - Dennis on 17 Mar 2013 10:22:48
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  13:02:58  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked his performance in Drive and he was not bad in Crazy , stupid love even though that was not exactly an oscar worthy movie. Certainly while you cannot call him versatile, I do think he is an actor with potential.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  13:27:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sometimes, when you're young and charming, people tend to overlook the fact that you can act. It’s only the “charm” that stays with them. Ryan is just one of these. Look at Zach Efron. I can’t call myself a fan of his, but the guy can act, and good at that.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  16:22:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Star Trek Into Darkness—New International Trailer—The "I am better at everything" line is really lame. Other than that, everything else makes the movie enticing.

Despicable Me 2—This looks so much fun. I love the part where the minions laughed at the chairman's name.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  01:43:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Star Trek Into Darkness—New International Trailer—The "I am better at everything" line is really lame. Other than that, everything else makes the movie enticing.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the line, personally. It's very indicative of the character.

What surprised me... was just how much Pine is falling into the character of classic Kirk this time round -- his own lines... even the way he walks... reminds me so much of William Shatner's Kirk.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  02:03:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Riddick teaser......im looking forward to this one

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=IFBrpKoiCq8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIFBrpKoiCq8

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  05:06:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the line, personally. It's very indicative of the character.

What surprised me... was just how much Pine is falling into the character of classic Kirk this time round -- his own lines... even the way he walks... reminds me so much of William Shatner's Kirk.
Probably it's just I. I'm no fan of the series, remember?

As for Chris Pine. I can't take him seriously, unfortunately. I still have to get used to him acting like a tough guy. I'd seen him often in romantic comedies. And in the one action/drama film I saw him in—Unstoppable—I wasn’t at all convinced of his role.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  05:16:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Riddick teaser . . . I'm looking forward to this one.
As am I. This series made me an instant Vin Diesel fan.

I kinda got confused with this trailer though. I thought it's Pitch Black. In the second film, Chronicles of Riddick, he'd already become the new ruler of a galactic empire. So how on earth did he end up in chains? Perhaps there's a time jump? Or maybe he relinquished the throne in favor of a responsibility-free life?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  06:14:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I kinda got confused with this trailer though. I thought it's Pitch Black. In the second film, Chronicles of Riddick, he'd already become the new ruler of a galactic empire. So how on earth did he end up in chains? Perhaps there's a time jump? Or maybe he relinquished the throne in favor of a responsibility-free life?

One of the unconfirmed rumours I've heard about the plot for Riddick suggests it's story takes place after Pitch Black but before Chronicles of Riddick.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  06:19:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

One of the unconfirmed rumours I've heard about the plot for Riddick suggests it's story takes place after Pitch Black but before Chronicles of Riddick.
I see. It makes sense.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  18:41:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Wolverine: International Trailer—Wow, I never heard of this film until today; the trailer is just released today and it's showing four months from now. Does Fox ever heard of the word “marketing”? Or do they just not care?

This line had me wondering: “What they did to me, what I am, can’t be undone.” I suppose he’s not referring to his mutant ability of fast cell regeneration because nobody “did” that to him. So that left one thing, I guess: what Striker did to him—give him claws. Which can be melted, and which, if he chooses to, Magneto can “detach” with scarce an effort, right? So what on earth is Wolvy talking about then?

Hummingbird—Darker, gritty, more “dramatic” version of Transporter.

White House DownOlympus Has Fallen 2.0? Wow, that was very fast.

World War Z—Hmm. It looks like this film actually has a “story” and not just plain, nonsensical zombie parade.

Edited by - Dennis on 28 Mar 2013 18:52:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  20:39:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This line had me wondering: “What they did to me, what I am, can’t be undone.” I suppose he’s not referring to his mutant ability of fast cell regeneration because nobody “did” that to him. So that left one thing, I guess: what Striker did to him—give him claws. Which can be melted, and which, if he chooses to, Magneto can “detach” with scarce an effort, right? So what on earth is Wolvy talking about then?

Wolvie wasn't given his claws, he was born with those. What they did was forcibly plate his bones (including the bones that form his claws) with admantium and play with his memories.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  20:53:22  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Wooly said. Wolvie's claws are a natural part of his skeletal structure- that's part of his mutation. What ISN'T natural is that his entire skeleton is fused with adamantium. Including those claws. Striker and the Weapon X program did that, and yes, that is what he is talking about.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  23:23:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Wolverine: International Trailer—Wow, I never heard of this film until today; the trailer is just released today and it's showing four months from now. Does Fox ever heard of the word “marketing”? Or do they just not care?
Errr... The advertising and marketing for The Wolverine has been a fairly consistent aspect for the last few US-based and international Comic Cons. It's been a shifting saga of this director or that director, these actors, this story line, etc. I've been following developments for this film for years.
quote:
This line had me wondering: “What they did to me, what I am, can’t be undone.” I suppose he’s not referring to his mutant ability of fast cell regeneration because nobody “did” that to him. So that left one thing, I guess: what Striker did to him—give him claws.
As has been stated, part of Wolverine's mutation is the example of his bone claws, which were later bonded with adamantium -- like the rest of his skeleton. However, we weren't initially told this. In fact, during much of Wolverine's first two decades of appearances, we were all largely led to believe that his adamantium claws were part of his "handling" by the Weapon X project. It was only during the 90's "Fatal Attractions" story-arc, that we learned he actually had bone claws. Then, about a decade later, it was revealed that these bone claws were part of his mutation.
quote:
Which can be melted, and which, if he chooses to, Magneto can “detach” with scarce an effort, right? So what on earth is Wolvy talking about then?
I presume he's referring to the adamantium bonding process. Since even the film-version of Wolverine has bone claws [see X-Men Origins: Wolverine], and his mutant abilities cannot be "undone" as such.

Interestingly, when Magneto stripped the adamantium from Wolverine's skeleton [in the aforementioned "Fatal Attractions" story-arc I mentioned earlier {and which ultimately revealed the reality of his bone claws}], we also learned that this would have a devastating impact upon his mutant healing factor -- pushing his body to the limit of even it's considerable endurance. So it'll be interesting to see where the film goes with such a plot.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  04:47:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Wolvie wasn't given his claws, he was born with those. What they did was forcibly plate his bones (including the bones that form his claws) with admantium and play with his memories.
I know about the bone claws; that’s quite obvious in X-Men Originis: Wolverine . But thanks for pointing out “memories.” Perhaps that’s what he meant; that’s part of who he is. Even Prof. Xavier (and later, Jean Gray) attempted, several times, to help him regain his memories to no avail; he just said that Logan’s mind needed time to “heal” and that it would, hopefully, recall his past. So if the two most powerful telepaths in the world can’t help him, then it’s safe to assume no one can . . .

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  04:52:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interestingly, when Magneto stripped the adamantium from Wolverine's skeleton [in the aforementioned "Fatal Attractions" story-arc I mentioned earlier {and which ultimately revealed the reality of his bone claws}], we also learned that this would have a devastating impact upon his mutant healing factor -- pushing his body to the limit of even it's considerable endurance. So it'll be interesting to see where the film goes with such a plot.
Interesting, indeed. I didn't know Magneto actually stripped the adamantium.

Or did you mention that in one of our “Magneto discussions” and I just forgot?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  23:30:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or did you mention that in one of our “Magneto discussions” and I just forgot?
Pretty much. It was back when you were interested in learning more about the extent of Magneto's mutant power.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  08:15:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sorry. Must be the (five cups a day of) coffee. I promised to myself to compile all your replies on our Magneto/Doctor Strange discussions.

-------------------------------------------------

Who’s going to see G.I. Joe Retaliation? I’ll probably go and see it later or tomorrow.

Edited by - Dennis on 30 Mar 2013 08:44:47
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  13:30:12  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who’s going to see G.I. Joe Retaliation? I’ll probably go and see it later or tomorrow.

I might go see it on Monday. But the reviews are kinda of bad and thats making me wonder if I should bother with it.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  14:11:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

I might go see it on Monday. But the reviews are kinda of bad and thats making me wonder if I should bother with it.
I just saw it today. 'Twas fun, actually. Loved every second of it. If you’re interested, you may read my review below, though there is a little spoiler in it.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  14:12:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just saw G.I. Joe: Retaliation. The story ties quite well to its predecessor. Action-packed with a dose of humor. I loved it that they added Bruce Willis. All the posters have Bruce in the middle, so I immediately assumed he’d be given considerable screen time. But I was wrong. Which is fine, really. I think they handled well the “introduction” of Bruce’s character—which we’ll be seeing more in the next installment. Roadblock (Dwayne Johnson) once said, “He’s the reason we call ourselves Joes.”

The death of one of the main protagonists surprised me. And I can’t help but ask, “Is that really necessary?” Oh, well, with nanobytes technology, perhaps they can somehow revive him. (Unless of course if it was the actor’s choice to bow out.)

I also liked how they meshed and put a closure to the background story of Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes. The twist might be a little bit expected though.

Nuclear warfare and world domination by a certified megalomaniac got thwarted at the last second (literally)—this may be a tired Hollywood formula, but as they say, and I say, it’s all in the telling that counts. And the cast. Who are all great. The action sequences were great too, especially the ninja fights.

Recommended to everyone who enjoys ol’ school action (with modern, sci-fi twist).

Out of ten possible stars, I give it eight.

(P.S. Byung-hun Lee and D.J. Cotrona are smokin' hot.)

Edited by - Dennis on 30 Mar 2013 14:22:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  19:51:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry. Must be the (five cups a day of) coffee. I promised to myself to compile all your replies on our Magneto/Doctor Strange discussions.

-------------------------------------------------

I'll see it when it comes out on DVD. I used to be a huge fan of GI Joe, back in the days of the cartoon, and I in fact have a couple of GI Joe toys on my shelves right now.

But the first movie wasn't all that. It certainly failed to convince me to see the second movie, and that was before I heard about them heavily revamping it when test audiences hated it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  15:11:31  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I just saw it today. 'Twas fun, actually. Loved every second of it. If you’re interested, you may read my review below, though there is a little spoiler in it.

I am used to your little spoilers by now.
Still good review , it made to want to definitely go see it.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  15:24:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am used to your little spoilers by now.
Still good review, it made to want to definitely go see it.
Thanks.

I overheard a young guy ask his (I assumed, judging by how “sweet” they were) girlfriend while looking at G.I. Joe: Retaliation’s poster, “Die Hard is still showing?”

----------------------------------------------

2 GunsRush Hour reboot? At least they picked the right actors.

Edited by - Dennis on 31 Mar 2013 16:54:33
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  04:04:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just watched Superman: Doomsday in Blu-ray. I couldn’t finish it; I only made it till the forty-fourth minute. Lois has a very phony and annoying voice. And whose idea was it to add lines in Superman’s face? He looks old and ugly. The story is so rushed. Everything else just crumbles into nigh-inanity.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 74 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000