Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Films of Interest to Realms Fans . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 74

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  16:46:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Upside Down – Seriously? Is Hollywood running out of ideas?

Reminds me of the hollow world. With super cute Kirsten Dunst so I'm in :P

I don't find Kirsten Dunst unattractive, but I don't think she's all that attractive, either. She is attractive, but she'd not make my top ten list, and if I had enough pics of female celebrities to build one, I don't know that she'd make my top 100.

To each his own and all that, but that's something I've just never gotten.

Still, she is more attractive than Kristen Stewart...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  16:53:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Iron-Man 3 New Trailer - "No politics here. Just good old-fashioned revenge."

And back-up . . . Ha! How many armor suits are there? Are they for rent?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  16:53:33  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

I don't find Kirsten Dunst unattractive, but I don't think she's all that attractive, either. She is attractive, but she'd not make my top ten list, and if I had enough pics of female celebrities to build one, I don't know that she'd make my top 100.

She's not like the hottest out there. But she's like Meg Ryan for the next generation - cute.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  16:57:45  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That scene with the suits being destroyed REALLY reminds me of Jim Carrey's Riddler destroying the large collection of Batman suits but accidentally missing the prototype sonar suit. Maybe Iron man's left over suit has sonar?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  17:12:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

She's not like the hottest out there. But she's like Meg Ryan for the next generation - cute.
Kristen Stewart has her own "charm." Besides, who wouldn't want a girl who sucks a lot . . .

of blood?

Meg Ryan's cute, or at least she used to be.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  17:16:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That scene with the suits being destroyed REALLY reminds me of Jim Carrey's Riddler destroying the large collection of Batman suits but accidentally missing the prototype sonar suit. Maybe Iron man's left over suit has sonar?
I couldn't care less about Batman or his lame costume.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  17:41:51  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm betting whoever designed that scene stole it, was my point.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  17:46:30  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I recently tried getting my real life friends into a Star Trek discussion. Apparently I'm the only one dorky enough for this topis so I'm hoping that's not the case here as well.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the visit to Nibiru in the upcoming Star Trek movie. Does this mean the Star Trek universe has adopted Zecharia Sitchin's 12th planet theories about the formation of the solar system?

I noted the name in the preview, and immediately wondered why they didn't pick some other name. Heck, even Altair IV would have been better.

Sometimes Star Trek writers/TPTB just hear a name that they like the sound of and they get attached. They don't necessarily read up on all the back story behind those names.

How many of the various RW planets that have been named in the past TV episodes and movies do you think were really researched in all that great of detail? Do you think they really wanted to consult with experts to try to figure out what flora/fauna/humanoids on such planets would realistically look and act like? Or do you think they just mixed and matched stuff from various sources however they thought it would look and sound kewl for the final presentation?

Given how fast and loose JJ Abrams's team played with Trek lore in the first film, I really doubt they bothered to get Nibiru lore down pat, either.

But of course, I could be wrong, and they might've taken a shine to more than just the name, this time around. We shall see.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  22:23:29  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[/quote]
Given how fast and loose JJ Abrams's team played with Trek lore in the first film, I really doubt they bothered to get Nibiru lore down pat, either.
[/quote]

That drove me crazy - I fear this time it will be even worse.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  02:01:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I think the only time I ever found Dunst attractive was when she played the role of Mary Jane in Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. And then, I think, it was only because of her red-headedness. I'll shamefully admit that I'm a sucker for all kinds of red-headed lasses...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  02:09:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, if we're talking the classic Iron Legion from the late 90's volume of the Iron Man comic book, then it's composed of practically every armour Stark had designed up to that point in his career. [Interesting fact, the original Iron Legion occurred just before the debut of Stark's original Hulkbuster Armour design. But in the case of Iron Man 3, it looks like the Hulkbuster Armour is already a part of his armoury.]

As for the individuals piloting those suits... my guess would be some are remotely guided, while others are piloted by people Stark trusts exclusively with his secret designs. And given the rumours about Pepper Potts donning the Iron Man-derived 'Rescue' armour from the comic book in the third film, there's every possibility that she's among them as well [though, I really couldn't see whether this was the case in the quick glimpses we were given of the Iron Army in the trailer].

In the comic book, the individual suits that formed the Iron Legion were each piloted by only those people who had assumed the role of Iron Man in the past [and there's been more than a few people aside from Stark in the armour] and some of his most trusted colleagues.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  03:00:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Well, if we're talking the classic Iron Legion from the late 90's volume of the Iron Man comic book, then it's composed of practically every armour Stark had designed up to that point in his career. [Interesting fact, the original Iron Legion occurred just before the debut of Stark's original Hulkbuster Armour design. But in the case of Iron Man 3, it looks like the Hulkbuster Armour is already a part of his armoury.]

As for the individuals piloting those suits... my guess would be some are remotely guided, while others are piloted by people Stark trusts exclusively with his secret designs. And given the rumours about Pepper Potts donning the Iron Man-derived 'Rescue' armour from the comic book in the third film, there's every possibility that she's among them as well [though, I really couldn't see whether this was the case in the quick glimpses we were given of the Iron Army in the trailer].

In the comic book, the individual suits that formed the Iron Legion were each piloted by only those people who had assumed the role of Iron Man in the past [and there's been more than a few people aside from Stark in the armour] and some of his most trusted colleagues.

the trailer i saw appeared to show 6 or iron man "piloted suits" and then a swarm of remote suits popping up behind them and tony exclaiming "there's my boys"

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  03:09:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

the trailer i saw appeared to show 6 or iron man "piloted suits" and then a swarm of remote suits popping up behind them and tony exclaiming "there's my boys"

I would assume that most of those suits we see would then be experimental designs [here's hoping the old 90's telepresence armour unit gets a nod here]... in various stages of development. Because we know, thanks to previous trailers, that all Stark's other active armours are "destroyed" when his mansion/armoury is attacked by the Mandarin's forces.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  04:01:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Interesting facts, Sage. What exactly is Mandarin? A world-renown terrorist? A bored psycho? Tony's spurned "suitor"? Did he and Tony have "history"?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  04:44:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting facts, Sage. What exactly is Mandarin? A world-renown terrorist? A bored psycho? Tony's spurned "suitor"? Did he and Tony have "history"?

The Mandarin is Tony's BBEG. Like Joker to the Batman. The Mandarin represents everything that Tony fears -- mysticism, ignorance of technology, and archaic traditions meant to deny humanity's progress into a bright future brimming with scientific wonders.

In his long history through the comic books, the Mandarin has been a terrorist, a conqueror of nations, a lord of a fanatical cult of followers, a ruthless financial/corporate raider, and, finally, a janitor.

His history with both Tony Stark and Iron Man has long defined much of the character's history almost since Iron Man first appeared, and he'll undoubtedly continue to do so well into the future.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  05:19:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ah . . . Given that he's Tony's BBEG, shouldn't he have appeared in the first Iron Man film then? And why a janitor? He likes to clean Tony's mess?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  07:28:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah . . . Given that he's Tony's BBEG, shouldn't he have appeared in the first Iron Man film then?
He did "appear" by way of reference to the Ten Rings organisation in the first film. Supposedly, the Mandarin has been controlling this world-wide terrorist organisation -- with a specific focus on all that Tony Stark/Iron Man represents.

There's been a lot of background info from Iron Man directors, producers, and script writers, that the elements of conflict in Tony's recent life [as portrayed in the first two films] have in some way been orchestrated by the Mandarin's Ten Rings organisation -- the Ten Rings terrorist cell in the first film and Justin Hammer antics in the second film [Hammer and the Mandarin have had something of an alliance in the past in the comic book, so I'm assuming this carried over into the film as well].
quote:
And why a janitor? He likes to clean Tony's mess?
Back in the mid-90's... after the Mandarin attempted to plunge the world into a technological dark age using an ancient otherworldly orb of great and malevolent power -- known as the 'Heart of Darkness' -- Stark/Iron Man infected the Mandarin with a techno-organic virus. The ancient orb then rejected the Mandarin as "impure" [thanks to the fact that he now had nanites floating in his bloodstream] and literally drained the life from him. In the story's aftermath, several weeks later, we see a young and newly restored Mandarin [supposedly, with no memory of who he is] working as a janitor at a Stark Enterprises division in Hong Kong. It's only during another storyline in the very late 90's that we learn how the Mandarin survived his rejection by the 'Heart of Darkness.'

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  07:38:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oooo. I like that. I hope they'd incorporate it in the film.

You mentioned Tony fears "mysticism." Does that mean he fears magic too? If so, how did he manage working with Dr. Strange as a fellow Avenger?

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  10:08:14  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote

[/quote]I think the only time I ever found Dunst attractive was when she played the role of Mary Jane in Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. And then, I think, it was only because of her red-headedness. I'll shamefully admit that I'm a sucker for all kinds of red-headed lasses...
[/quote]

Who isn't? I thought she was all kinds of good looking in 'Wimbledon' too.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  10:13:07  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In response to all the Mandarin discussion, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. I think Ben Kingsley is a great actor, but his performances are hit and miss. He is either fantastic or a dismal failure with no middle ground. Of course I'm hoping for the former.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  12:33:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Is the Mandarin half Chinese? I suppose that's not his given name, so why did he call himself that?

Is the story arc involving Mandarin in the comics heavy on real-world politics? You know, like China helping North Korea to nuke the United States?

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  03:47:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saw Oz the Great and Powerful. Pretty enjoyable and visually appealing. A fun couple of hours.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  06:59:19  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Saw Oz the Great and Powerful. Pretty enjoyable and visually appealing. A fun couple of hours.

I saw it too. In all it is a good movie. Unfortunately, you can't help but compare it to the original and it does not stack up.

Cute story. Some cute characters - definitely Disney's marketing department in on that as I know for sure I'll have to buy at least two china dolls for my nieces now. Plus three HOT witches. BAD acting. OMG BAD ACTING. I did like how they worked in the creation of his "Great and Powerful Oz" contraption. I thought the post transformation wicked witches costumes were bad as well. Also wish they would have kept more with Baum's back story, and that they would have made it more musical-ish like the original.

There were some great visuals, but in my book they were countered by some really terrible CGI moments. A couple of them really annoyed me, like the CGI horses of a different color - totally useless and a bad execution, worse special effect than they managed 70+ years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  10:19:02  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Hangover Part 3 teaser trailer. Thoughts on it? My brother is enthusiastic since he really likes the series but my mom is lukewarm on the whole thing.I'll end up watching it but I'm glad they're wrapping it up.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  13:19:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I saw it too. In all it is a good movie. Unfortunately, you can't help but compare it to the original and it does not stack up.

Cute story. Some cute characters - definitely Disney's marketing department in on that as I know for sure I'll have to buy at least two china dolls for my nieces now. Plus three HOT witches. BAD acting. OMG BAD ACTING. I did like how they worked in the creation of his "Great and Powerful Oz" contraption. I thought the post transformation wicked witches costumes were bad as well. Also wish they would have kept more with Baum's back story, and that they would have made it more musical-ish like the original.

There were some great visuals, but in my book they were countered by some really terrible CGI moments. A couple of them really annoyed me, like the CGI horses of a different color - totally useless and a bad execution, worse special effect than they managed 70+ years ago.

Yeah I think it's another case of a film being "all in" for 3D, and seeing it without....many of the effects didnt work. I had already forgotten the how bad the horses were, at the time i thought they looked like a chalk rainbow drawn on the side walk, after a rain....the were just washed out.....and agree with Theodora's bad witch "make over" ...it was brutal.....but as a whole I still liked it.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  16:20:13  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 3d was pretty excellent actually. First 3d movie with a good amount of 3d. The fire burst that comes out of the screen was awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  21:18:04  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TMM: Agreed! when he first arriin Oz, I caught myself trying to catch the snowflakes floating around, LOL! And ducking the spears of the winkie guards later on, too....

I'll admit, I did find myself comparing it to the original Oz film, but mostly in a GOOD way. The flying monkeys- excuse me, baboons- were excellent, and actually pretty scary-looking. I actually LIKED Theodora's "post-wicked" look, as it stayed mostly true to the original look. WWotW was not hideously ugly in the old one, but ugly enough to make you feel a little nervous. I felt that here. My favorite thing about seeing this movie was probably all the nods to the original. The scarecrows, the lion in the woods, the poppies, Glenda's wand and crown, all of it was well-done, I thought. I looked at so many of the little things as well as the over-all plot and acting, that I couldn't help but fnd things to love about it.

And I liked how it ties into the original even in Kansas- the B&W filming at the beginning was a nice touch. So was the mention of a certain man by the name of Gale.... Hrmmmm.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  02:10:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You mentioned Tony fears "mysticism." Does that mean he fears magic too? If so, how did he manage working with Dr. Strange as a fellow Avenger?
Both Tony and Stephen occupied different teams of Avengers. Iron Man traditionally stands with the classic "core" Avengers, while Doctor Strange ran with the "New" Avengers, which operated more with 'street-level' threats than big galaxy-threatening events that the "core" Avengers would have to deal with.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2013 :  02:16:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is the Mandarin half Chinese? I suppose that's not his given name, so why did he call himself that?
Traditionally, the Mandarin is a descendent of an ancient Chinese dynasty -- but the emphasis has switched over the nearly five decades worth of stories. At one point, he's even been the last surviving descendent of Genghis Khan.
quote:
Is the story arc involving Mandarin in the comics heavy on real-world politics? You know, like China helping North Korea to nuke the United States?
It tends to shift, according to the whims of the writers. Back in the 80's/90's series of Mandarin stories, the Cold War tensions and Tiananmen Massacre played very heavily into the Iron Man book. Nowadays, the politics of global terrorism and dictatorial world powers forms the political backdrop of most Iron Man tales.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  15:32:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Both Tony and Stephen occupied different teams of Avengers. Iron Man traditionally stands with the classic "core" Avengers, while Doctor Strange ran with the "New" Avengers, which operated more with 'street-level' threats than big galaxy-threatening events that the "core" Avengers would have to deal with.
Isn't that rather "strange"? I thought Doctor Strange only steps in when the threat is too much for the "regular" heroes to handle?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 74 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000