Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Films of Interest to Realms Fans . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 74

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  04:33:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I am used to your little spoilers by now.
Still good review, it made to want to definitely go see it.
Thanks.

I overheard a young guy ask his (I assumed, judging by how “sweet” they were) girlfriend while looking at G.I. Joe: Retaliation’s poster, “Die Hard is still showing?”

----------------------------------------------

2 GunsRush Hour reboot? At least they picked the right actors.

Other than it having 2 guys and comedy (a not uncommon formula), I don't really see anything remotely Rush Hour-esque in that trailer. Looks like a lot of fun, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  02:54:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just watched Superman: Doomsday in Blu-ray. I couldn’t finish it; I only made it till the forty-fourth minute. Lois has a very phony and annoying voice. And whose idea was it to add lines in Superman’s face? He looks old and ugly. The story is so rushed. Everything else just crumbles into nigh-inanity.

If you can still find them, I'd recommend you read the "Death of Superman" story-arc itself -- collected into handy TPBs [titled:- Death of Superman, Return of Superman, and Doomsday] and published by DC a few years back. It provides a more thorough grounding in this great and epic event from the early 90's.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  07:57:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I just watched Superman: Doomsday in Blu-ray. I couldn’t finish it; I only made it till the forty-fourth minute. Lois has a very phony and annoying voice. And whose idea was it to add lines in Superman’s face? He looks old and ugly. The story is so rushed. Everything else just crumbles into nigh-inanity.

If you can still find them, I'd recommend you read the "Death of Superman" story-arc itself -- collected into handy TPBs [titled:- Death of Superman, Return of Superman, and Doomsday] and published by DC a few years back. It provides a more thorough grounding in this great and epic event from the early 90's.
Isn’t the story more or less the same with The Death and Life of Superman by Roger Stern? There’s also Doomsday in it, and Superman nearly “died.”

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  12:47:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Isn’t the story more or less the same with The Death and Life of Superman by Roger Stern? There’s also Doomsday in it, and Superman nearly “died.”

It's mostly the same. Stern wrote a novelization of the events in the comics.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  14:07:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I see. Thanks. I’ll try to hunt those down.

I have Superman: For Tomorrow and will read it soon. The premise sounds interesting.

As for the other fairly “recent” Superman graphic novels, I was almost inclined to complain about so many retelling of Kal-El’s “beginnings,” but then Earth One came along, and I loved it, so . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  16:05:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not really. The novel is more of a condensed version of the basic comic book storyline. There's an entire lot of stories that focus on the five "Supermen" who seek to replace Superman after he died, which didn't feature prominently in the novel. And those stories are important, not only for setting up Superman's eventual return, but they also set up a lot of what was to come after the "Doomsday" branch of the saga.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  17:04:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hmm. Were those “Superman” the clones that Luthor created? In the film, I managed to reach the part where it was revealed that he cloned Superman using his blood.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  17:07:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm. Were those “Superman” the clones that Luthor created? In the film, I managed to reach the part where it was revealed that he cloned Superman using his blood.

Each of the new Supermen had different origins. One was a clone, but he wasn't a direct clone -- they'd only gotten some of Superman's DNA, and had to pull the Jurassic Park move of filling in the blanks with alternate DNA.

His abilities were way different from the original.

We had the Man of Steel (a dude in powered armor), Superboy, The Last Son of Krypton (more vigilante-like and using energy blasts, IIRC), and the Cyborg.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Apr 2013 17:08:59
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2013 :  02:04:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There was only one "true" clone in the specific sense of the word. And the origins surrounding each of these "Supermen" is fairly convoluted, now, so I'll just stick to the brief Wiki descriptions of them, for simplicity's sake:-
quote:
The Man of Steel: John Henry Irons was an ironworker and an ex-weapons designer for the military who wears a suit of armor and wields a hammer. Of the four, he is the only one who did not claim the name of Superman, but rather that he represented the spirit of Superman and continued his legacy. Steel appeared in Superman: The Man of Steel, starting with #22. He later changed his name to just "Steel".

The Man of Tomorrow, also called the Cyborg Superman, arrived with augmented Kryptonian technology. He was scientifically "proven" to be Superman, but claims amnesia in explanation to his part-mechanical nature. The Cyborg Superman appeared in Superman (vol. 2), starting with #78. After he was eventually revealed as former NASA astronaut Hank Henshaw, he later became a major supervillain.

The Metropolis Kid, who hated being called Superboy, is a reckless teenage clone of Superman. This Superman appeared in The Adventures of Superman, starting with #501. Of the three Supermen with super powers, he was the only one that did not claim to be the real one. He is the result of the brief time Cadmus attempted to clone Superman. He later had a career as Superboy.

The Last Son of Krypton was a visored, energy-powered alien who dealt with criminals lethally. The Last Son of Krypton appeared in Action Comics, starting with #687. He claims to have the memories of the original Superman, but his emotional distance makes Lois uncertain. He later was discovered to be the Eradicator, a reformed Superman enemy.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  15:12:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sounds good to me. Thanks, Wooly and Sage.

---------------------------------------------

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters Official Trailer—I’m so looking forward to this. I love the splitting car. That thing at the end looks like the maw of a phaerimm.

Given the overall worldwide performance of the last film (just a little over US$200M, which is rather underwhelming for a fantasy film), I wasn’t expecting they’d be making a sequel. Glad to be proven wrong for once.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone—Steve Carell and Jim Carey in one movie. You gotta love this.

OW: Where did he go?

SC: He’s gone to a better place . . .

OW: He’s under the bed.

SC: I know.

Superman: Unbound—Hmm. It looks okay. But honestly, I don’t find Braniac that interesting.

And is DC joking or what? They’re offering Card (an anti-homosexual) a job to write a Superman novel, while they hired a gay actor (Matt Bomer) to dub the voice of Superman in this animated film. Coincidence?

Anyone planning to go see The Host? I probably will, tomorrow. The premise sounds good, albeit not that original. The Invasion has done similar, minus the romance.

I haven’t read the book yet, but I intend to, someday. It’s Stephenie Meyer’s first (allegedly) adult novel.

Edited by - Dennis on 05 Apr 2013 15:15:22
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2013 :  10:36:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just watched The Three Musketeers in Blu-ray. Loads and loads of fun. The plot is basically the same as the original, save some nice few fixes. Lorgan Lerman is oozing with cuteness, and Mila, with sexiness (I saw all MJ films that my gay friends accused me of turning bi over her). Anyway, it is good to see her as a villain for a change.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2013 :  15:35:41  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just watched The Three Musketeers in Blu-ray. Loads and loads of fun. The plot is basically the same as the original, save some nice few fixes. Lorgan Lerman is oozing with cuteness, and Mila, with sexiness (I saw all MJ films that my gay friends accused me of turning bi over her). Anyway, it is good to see her as a villain for a change.

Glad you enjoyed it. It was a nice , entertaining movie.
I saw it with my family and my mum commented " Its nice to see some good looking people in movies for a change".
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2013 :  06:03:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"Good-looking" is an understatement.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2013 :  14:54:12  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Good-looking" is an understatement.

Not from my mom it isnt.
She is very picky, just ask my ex girlfriend.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2013 :  18:01:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which original? I've seen two or three versions of The Three Musketeers, and for only one of them was I convinced the book had been involved. And it wasn't overly involved in that one...

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2013 :  20:04:16  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only one I know of that actually followed the book was the OLD one with Gene Kelly. It was the closest adaptation of Three Musketeers I've seen.

ANNNDDD..... Who else went to see Evil Dead over the weekend? I went Friday with my hubby- we're both HUGE E.D. fans (especially Army of Darkness!) so of course we HAD to seet Raimi's remake of his cult classic! I must say, I was impressed. It was everything the original is NOT. Scary, creepy, utterly gory(in a realistic sense), and DARK!!! Yup, he totally succeeded at turning his original vision into what it was intended to be. And there are Easter Eggs galore!! The car, the clock- and BRUCE!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2013 :  04:40:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not really a fan of horror flicks. I hear the audience's shouting more than the movie's sound. And some stupid ones would shout even after the suposedly terrifying scene was over. In short, late reaction.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2013 :  20:58:33  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the ORIGINAL Evil Dead trilogy (E.D. 1 and 2, and Army of Darkness) were hardly "terrifying" unless you're terrified by bad FX, cheesy plot devices, or B-movie acting. Fortunately, there were only about four otehr people in the theater when we saw it- we went to an early mantinee showing, while most people were still at work or school. Even though it was the opening day, teh early show time meant we were pretty much left alone to enjoy it. Which we did, immensely! And there's not much to shout at in this Film, although there's some definite squick factor with the "vine-rape" scene in the woods.... But I'm a big horror fan, too, so this movie was high on my list of "must-see" film this year.

For the NEXT ones on my list- Iron Man 3 and The Wolverine!

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2013 :  21:55:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Army of Darkness was enough to convince me not to see more. It was just too campy for me.

The remade Evil Dead looks like a horror flick, and I avoid those, for the most part.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2013 :  03:03:17  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, yes, it WAS campy- intentionally. Since the "horror" factor bombed so badly with the first one, Raimi mad the two later installments campy and funny ON PURPOSE. Whereupon the movies became cult favorites. Go figure.

I'd still recommend the new one, even if you're not a fan of the originals, it's good enough to stand on its own as a horror flick, and the camera angles and FX tricks alone are enough to make it worthwhile. Those are some of the hallmarks of his films- unusual filming angles like the ones for the "web-cam" shots in the Spidey movies (bar the "reboot" one) are part of what makes his movies so fun.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2013 :  08:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went to see Evil Dead this last saturday with some friends. Got in a bit late but still got most of it.

Was the first time I nearly threw up during a movie.

I hope the rumors of them making an Army of Darkness 2 are true.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2013 :  15:31:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just saw Green Lantern: First Flight in Blu-ray. Minus the lack of background story on Hal Jordan (quite understandable, I suppose, as this is not an “origin story” type of movie), the plot is slightly better than the live-action film. I found the weaponers quite interesting—aloof, cool, insectesoid “mad scientists.” Sinestro failed to look interesting though. And unlike in the live-action film where they were depicted as dignified immortals, the Guardians in this animated movie are nothing but bickering old midgets, save one, whose name escaped me.

Maybe a typical hero, or maybe not, Hal Jordan is the kind of man that people find easy to relate to; and it is for this reason, I guess, that the Green Lantern continues to have a solid following.

Overall, the movie is quite fun, with a decent plot, great hero, and interesting supporting characters.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2013 :  16:09:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just saw Green Lantern: First Flight in Blu-ray. Minus the lack of background story on Hal Jordan (quite understandable, I suppose, as this is not an “origin story” type of movie), the plot is slightly better than the live-action film. I found the weaponers quite interesting—aloof, cool, insectesoid “mad scientists.”
The Weaponers of Qward are awesome villains in the GL mythos... especially in the comic book.
quote:
Sinestro failed to look interesting though.
Heh. As an aside, I actually thought the Sinestro of the live-action film was one of the few aspects I liked.
quote:
And unlike in the live-action film where they were depicted as dignified immortals, the Guardians in this animated movie are nothing but bickering old midgets, save one, whose name escaped me.
Actually, the Guardians as depicted in this animated feature are more closely aligned to how they've been written in the comic book over the last decade or so. The "dignified immortals" portrayal was really not how the Guardians have usually been depicted.

And you're probably thinking of Ganthet. He's the one Guardian who has always "worked against the tide," so to speak, and had his own agenda that has sometimes included Hal Jordan.
quote:
Maybe a typical hero, or maybe not, Hal Jordan is the kind of man that people find easy to relate to; and it is for this reason, I guess, that the Green Lantern continues to have a solid following.

Overall, the movie is quite fun, with a decent plot, great hero, and interesting supporting characters.
You should now try the [sort of] spiritual sequel:- Green Lantern: Emerald Knights. It's kind of an anthology animated film telling the history of the Green Lanterns, as well as some particularly prominent members, and all while they're gearing up for a major confrontation with an ancient threat that I won't spoil here.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2013 :  16:30:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I just saw Green Lantern: First Flight in Blu-ray. Minus the lack of background story on Hal Jordan (quite understandable, I suppose, as this is not an “origin story” type of movie), the plot is slightly better than the live-action film. I found the weaponers quite interesting—aloof, cool, insectesoid “mad scientists.”
The Weaponers of Qward are awesome villains in the GL mythos... especially in the comic book.
Ooo. Interesting. I really hope the next live-action film will incorporate them.

quote:
quote:

You should now try the [sort of] spiritual sequel:- Green Lantern: Emerald Knights. It's kind of an anthology animated film telling the history of the Green Lanterns, as well as some particularly prominent members, and all while they're gearing up for a major confrontation with an ancient threat that I won't spoil here.
You’re not spoiling anything. I saw it prior to First Flight.And I posted my thoughts about that film in this very thread. If you can recall, that’s when I said that having an entire planet (Mogo) become a Green Lantern is quite outrageous, and I asked you if there’s any GL weirder than that.

------------------------------------------------------

Now You See Me (Second Trailer)—I’m looking forward to this. Looks fun. It’s good to know Hollywood has finally come up with some relatively “new” ideas. This’ll probably be how Italian Job looks like if Mark Wahlberg and Co. are a bunch of magicians.

------------------------------------------------------

Elysium—It looks fine. The premise isn’t that original. But it’s Matt Damon, so it’s an instant must-see for me. I’m a bit worried though when I learned that the director is the same man who made District 9, a movie that bored me to death.

Edited by - Dennis on 12 Apr 2013 16:49:18
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2013 :  05:06:26  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You didn't like District 9? I thought it was a great concept for an alien/sci-fi movie. Very different, though reminiscent of Alien Nation in some ways. I liked it. I'm curious about Now You See Me, as well, but it's not high on my list of "must-see" movies ATM. However, I am debating the new GI Joe movie, as I've heard good things. Mostly, I'm waiting for FCBD and Iron Man 3 weekend! And to tide me over and because I've not read ANY comics in several months, I just bought 4 volumes of the IDW TMNT comics on Amazon yesterday. They should arrive in time for me to dive into them next weekedn on my days off! AANNDD... I'm on my way to Scarborough Renaissance Fair here in Texas tomorrow, so I'll be thinking of all of you guys while I enjoy the jousting, the gypsy dancers, the costumes, the turkey legs/sausage/steak on stake/etc....!!!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2013 :  14:20:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

You didn't like District 9? I thought it was a great concept for an alien/sci-fi movie. Very different, though reminiscent of Alien Nation in some ways. I liked it.

I agree, though it's not one of those movies I'll watch again any time soon.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2013 :  19:13:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

You didn't like District 9?
“Didn’t like” is putting it mildly. I thought it was horrible.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2013 :  19:18:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I saw Oblivion yesterday, and I was disappointed. It started so slow but ended so quick. And it had a very depressing feel that even the relatively happy ending failed to offset.

The actors are quite fine. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman somehow made the best out of what appears to be a lackluster script.

The effects are decent enough too. Jack’s (Cruise’s) aircraft that can rotate 360 degrees looks cool, so are the aliens’ drones (which reminded me of that white former enemy robot from the movie Wall-E, only bigger and more sinister). Much of the fight scenes were rendered fine as well.

I didn’t see anything new in this film. Which normally I wouldn’t mind, so long it manages to entertain. But in this case, it failed short on that part.

Just imagine the movie Eagle Eye with the rogue supercomputer but without the people, the Resident Evil series without the zombies but with Alice in it (only she’s with balls in white suit with short black hair), and the movie The Happening where most of the time nothing was happening, then you’ll see what Oblivion looks like.

Again, this is really disappointing and depressing. And so I’m giving it six out of ten possible stars.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2013 :  19:21:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I also saw Olympus Has Fallen yesterday, and I loved it. Gerard Butler and Morgan Freeman delivered excellent performances here, so did the supporting cast. With unrelenting suspense, great action sequences, un-cheesy dialogues, and an uncomplicated but close-to-reality plot, this is probably the best action/thriller movie of the year.

Nine out of ten stars.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2013 :  07:00:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Japanese Animated Films to Have a Wider Asian Release—Japanese anime films are usually just shown in China, Hong Kong, South Korea, Singapore, and of course, its home country. Now you can add Philippines to that list, thanks to SM Cinemas. Naruto: Road to Ninja is now showing and is doing well in its fifth day—a good sign for the next two anime films. I’m so looking forward to Hunter X Hunter, and I’m glad they finally announced a release date for it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 74 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000