Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Films of Interest to Realms Fans . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 74

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  05:19:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I thought Beautiful Creatures was pretty good. I have not read the book, so that's probably why.
There were good parts, I grant you that. But overall, there were so many things that were missing. And most people probably agree with me, if the box office performance is any indication--as of March 1 (its 16th day) its worldwide total is a pathetic $31M, not even close to their production budget.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  07:32:24  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

It's a movie that's makes Hollywood look patriotic(which as a whole has not been since WWII) so as soon as I read about it I told friends of was going to win the is Oscar for best picture.it winning was Almost as egregious as Daniel Day Lewis winning for Lincoln , that was an impersonation at best, based on decades of lincoln portrayals on film and in writing, not acting.

Probably, I haven't seen The Hurt Locker, not sure if it's anti-war or imperialist. Forrest Gump seemed patriotic, or Patton.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  11:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

quote:

Argo won Best Picture in the Oscars. Anyone bothered to see this film? I must admit, though I'm a Ben Affleck fan, the trailer didn't quite grab me.

I saw it a while back, same day I saw Seven Psychopaths.

While it was a very good movie, I felt, especially towards the end, they were really milking the tension button for all it was worth.

I enjoyed Seven Psychopaths more, truth be told. But that's not the kind of movie that gets nominated, regardless of how deserving it might be.
That's what I feared upon watching the trailer of Argo. (Though maybe I'll grab the DVD and watch at least the first thirty minutes.)

As for Seven Psychopaths, I don't know, the trailer makes it look like a mash-up of The Whole Ten Yards (the only Bruce Willis film I didn't particularly like) and Meet the Fockers (which was funny, except that Owen Wilson ruined everything).

Seven Psychopaths is actually a rather brilliant deconstruction of action/revenge flicks combined with very dark comedy. The trailer's play it up as more of a straight comedy, but it's actually somewhat thought provoking.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  11:30:41  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

quote:

It's a movie that's makes Hollywood look patriotic(which as a whole has not been since WWII) so as soon as I read about it I told friends of was going to win the is Oscar for best picture.it winning was Almost as egregious as Daniel Day Lewis winning for Lincoln , that was an impersonation at best, based on decades of lincoln portrayals on film and in writing, not acting.

Probably, I haven't seen The Hurt Locker, not sure if it's anti-war or imperialist. Forrest Gump seemed patriotic, or Patton.

Forrest Gump could be seen as somewhat patriotic but it too many asks questions about several aspects of American history including the Vietnam war to be considered wholly so.
Lincoln was patriotic as well, I think it would have been a better choice than Argo.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  12:07:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I thought Beautiful Creatures was pretty good. I have not read the book, so that's probably why.
There were good parts, I grant you that. But overall, there were so many things that were missing. And most people probably agree with me, if the box office performance is any indication--as of March 1 (its 16th day) its worldwide total is a pathetic $31M, not even close to their production budget.

TBH I'd blame whoever their marketing person is. I'd never heard of it. Only reason I went to it is I'm on vacation and I go to every movie :)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  13:28:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's part of the problem: marketing. Twilight (the first film) and I Am Number Four didn't have aggressive marketing either; they relied too much on the novels' popularity. Good thing for the former, because it was still a huge success, box office-wise. The latter, however, not that much--which is the reason they don't intend to film a sequel. And unfortunately for Beautiful Creatures, that's also the case. They can do a reboot, though, and have Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl write the script.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  14:26:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

quote:

Forrest Gump could be seen as somewhat patriotic but it too many asks questions about several aspects of American history including the Vietnam war to be considered wholly so.
Lincoln was patriotic as well, I think it would have been a better choice than Argo.

i dont disagree. My point is argo makes the whole of Hollywood seem patriotic, thats why it won. Hollywood has always made a few patriotic movies, but as a whole.......not so much.

all i need to know about the hurt locker is that many of the men who served in the actions portrayed, said they felt betrayed and it wasnt accurate. History shouldnt be given a fiction treatment abnd passed off as history.

next week is the new Oz the Great and powerful....Im really looking forward to it.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 03 Mar 2013 14:28:01
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  14:35:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So am I, but I completely hate that they cast the Green Goblin in the part.

Just not a fan of that actor.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  17:55:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just saw Silver Linings Playbook today. A beautiful, heart-wrenching, "life-affirming" romance told in an unconventional manner. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper made an outstanding performance; they breathed life to Tiffany and Pat.

For every heartache there's a cure. Sometimes it screams right in front of us (literally), and we still fail to see it for what it truly is. Moving on requires that one small step we should be willing to make, despite the fear, the hesitation, the doubts. Pat and Tiffany take that small step everyday, steps that eventually lead them to a "silver lining."

A film of lost loves, moving on, brotherhood, family, football, and tacos. Go and see it.

It gets 9.5 out of 10 possible stars from me.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  13:54:12  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
`Good news for Sage.....

http://collider.com/carrie-fisher-star-wars-episode-7/

No word on if her bikini has signed on as well

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  14:48:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Gambit - Snape naked. I think I want to puke. But Cameron Diaz's in, so it's sure fun. Colin's a “poor boy” here.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  15:35:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

`Good news for Sage.....

Let us pray it hasn't, unless it's going to be on Jaina Solo.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  00:44:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So am I, but I completely hate that they cast the Green Goblin in the part.

Just not a fan of that actor.

I assume you're referring to James Franco, who took up his father's role to become the Second Green Goblin in the Raimi-directed Spider-Man films.

Why don't you like him?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  00:47:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

`Good news for Sage.....

If both Ford and Fisher can resume their roles as the "elder patriarch and matriarch" of the Skywalker/Solo clan as they've been portrayed in the later EU novels, then I'm all for this. They don't get a lot of page time in the novels, but they're still a part of any major galaxy-shifting events.

I would hope that the next trilogy will follow the same and have their children -- the second generation Skywalkers/Solos [Jaina, Jacen, Ben, and Anakin] -- as the main characters of the films.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  00:51:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

`Good news for Sage.....

Let us pray it hasn't, unless it's going to be on Jaina Solo.

While that would definitely be something to see, I'd prefer that the classic gold bikini remain as a fond memory from that famed scene in Return of the Jedi.

Jaina can, and often would be sexy in her own right, and usually, with plenty of clothes on. It's just her character, really, with a fascinating mix of both her father's recklessness and her mother's confidence.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  01:28:47  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, whatever hope I had for the new Star Wars movies dies with that news.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  10:51:09  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My first reaction was to wish I could force choke those damn Disney exces. They have screwed up a beloved franchise for the last time.
Go to Top of Page

Andrekan
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  17:29:51  Show Profile Send Andrekan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am running a weekly Realms game based on a concept I stole from 'Sons of Anarchy' not really a movie intrest but in the Realms game the party is putting together a Mercenary/Trade Coster out of Amn to run weapons up and down the Sword Coast. I started running our game which the players have no idea where my inspiration is based. When I watched the History Channel's 'Vikings' it seemed like an ironic release to me. Thus is the magic of entertainment world.

The Movie Industry has failed to inspire me as much as these highly funded and well designed Mini Series or TV Series (Walking Dead). 'Vikings' is at the top of my list right now as I must see more.

"Those two talk only of drink, riches, women, brawling, and magic, so ye've a one in five chance..." Quote from "Elminster in Hell"
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  22:41:26  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

My first reaction was to wish I could force choke those damn Disney exces. They have screwed up a beloved franchise for the last time.

How so? We don't even know what the story will be yet. And if Ford and Fisher are both in it, where's the screw-up? It would be worse if they tried to keep the characters still young and had someone else in the roles. This actually has me optimistic. And the twins and Ani Jr would be awesome. But personally, I'd be more anxious to see Lowbacca and Tenel-Ka.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  01:09:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

quote:

quote:

How so? We don't even know what the story will be yet. And if Ford and Fisher are both in it, where's the screw-up? It would be worse if they tried to keep the characters still young and had someone else in the roles. This actually has me optimistic. And the twins and Ani Jr would be awesome. But personally, I'd be more anxious to see Lowbacca and Tenel-Ka.

Personally, I'm keen on seeing the development of Solo kids -- in particular Jaina Solo -- on the big screen. It would be nice to have a female being the central character of a SW film series for a change. Just don't delve too quickly into the whole "Sword of the Jedi" mythos surrounding her training. That can come later. Establish her as a character in her own right, first, before burdening her too much with the famed Skywalker/Solo legacy.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  02:28:08  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And then later on we can watch the twins ki- er, oops, almost had a spoiler! Seriously, though, it would be cool to see who would play Mara, too. She's one of my faves!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  04:24:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

not fair to blame the mouse for ruining it....yet.

everything happening in these next three movies was plotted out bb George himself and he satarted negotiating with Hamil, ford and fisher before he sold to disney

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  15:37:16  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

quote:

quote:

Dont get me wrong I don't have anything against the old gang , its just that they have gotten old. Luke in particular has not aged well. Digging them up again unless its for a few cameo like moments, reeks of their failure to try out something new and exciting in a galaxy far , far away.
I want to see movies that go in bold new directions and are possibly still somewhat true to canon of the expanded sw universe.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  16:14:58  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They should be old though, just as Obi-wan and 'Ani' got old. Remember, as Yoda put it:

When 900 years you reach, look as good, you will not.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  16:19:39  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gambit - Snape naked. I think I want to puke. But Cameron Diaz's in, so it's sure fun. Colin's a “poor boy” here.

This looks great. So many good actors and of course Cameron is a goddess :)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  16:23:10  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Lucas failed with his prequels. Spectacularly. Even worse than he did with his special editions. I'm hoping this becomes a revitalization. And I'm hoping that now that Disney owns the rights, they remaster the originals.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  16:26:34  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently tried getting my real life friends into a Star Trek discussion. Apparently I'm the only one dorky enough for this topis so I'm hoping that's not the case here as well.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the visit to Nibiru in the upcoming Star Trek movie. Does this mean the Star Trek universe has adopted Zecharia Sitchin's 12th planet theories about the formation of the solar system?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  16:29:03  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the visit to Nibiru in the upcoming Star Trek movie. Does this mean the Star Trek universe has adopted Zecharia Sitchin's 12th planet theories about the formation of the solar system?

For the uninitiated, here's background:

The extended preview of the new Star Trek movie reveals them on Nibiru, running from natives and Spock in a volcano. Zecharia Sitchin was a writer who hypothesized a 12th planet, called Nibiru (12 includes the moon and the sun, btw) that has a very strange orbital pattern - an elongated ellipse that is also at an odd angle compared to the rest of the planets. His theories are in several books. He based a lot of it on his interpretation of ancient Babylonian carvings and images...

Some of these images have "Sky beings"... interpreted as angels most often, but interpreted by Sitchin as an alien species from this 12th planet - sorry the name escapes me at the moment - but it stars with an A. These Sky beings came to earth the last time Nibiru was close to Earth and taught humans things like farming.

WAAAAYYY back in time, one of Nibiru's moons collided with another planet, which broke apart. The biggest piece eventually became Earth. The smaller pieces became the asteroid belt, or if thrown out far enough, comets.

Basically it is astrophysics meets myth. Has Star Trek decided that those myths are true?

Also - in the nineties, a woman on the internet postulated a end of the word theory that has Nibiru or planet-X crashing into earth. She had an implant from little gray aliens in her skull that told her this would happen one day. Is this the danger in the new movie?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  16:37:10  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Upside Down – Seriously? Is Hollywood running out of ideas?

Reminds me of the hollow world. With super cute Kirsten Dunst so I'm in :P
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  16:39:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I recently tried getting my real life friends into a Star Trek discussion. Apparently I'm the only one dorky enough for this topis so I'm hoping that's not the case here as well.

I noted the name in the preview, and immediately wondered why they didn't pick some other name. Heck, even Altair IV would have been better.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 74 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000