Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Films of Interest to Realms Fans . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 74

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  00:25:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There's also a foreign film with the same premise. French, I believe. Forgot the title, though. (And You're right about Kirsten Dunst.)

I just watched The Makeover. It's a typical Hallmark made-for-TV movie, with better actors. Loved Julia Stiles. And David Walton is hot.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 10 Feb 2013 00:27:20
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  01:43:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am curious about why this Star Trek 2013 trailer deliberately vocoded (or acted?) Cumberbatch in a way which sounds very, very much like Picard. Indeed, I can hardly understand why all the smartest people even have Brit accents in a Utopian Federation Earth without borders, perhaps Starfleet's gardener offers elective language command courses in the evenings, but that's neither here nor there. Oh well, Khan always rocked (even when Khan is Ricardo Montalban with a rubber chest), but in a way I think I'd prefer Romulans ... the last time they tried to reinvent an evil monomaniacal villain the best they could come up with was Soran The Gweat and Tewwible.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 10 Feb 2013 01:47:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  03:23:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm getting REALLY bored with them blowing up the Enterprise in every movie - can't they think of something new to do?
Oh, come on. It just wouldn't be Star Trek unless the 'Enterprise' was either severely damaged or destroyed in a film.

It's like Tony Stark getting a new suit of armour every five minutes in the Iron Man comic books [or films, for that matter].

But, seriously, I was kind of thinking the same thing earlier this very morn when I looked over the model of my Abramsfied 'Enterprise.' I started wondering about what the "new" 'Enterprise' might look like in the next film if the current ship is indeed destroyed in Into Darkness.

Speculation abounds, I know, with supposed rumours that Spock will die in this new film. Almost rivalling his death in the original timeline's Wrath of Khan. And, as we know, the original timeline 'Enterprise' was severely damaged by Khan's attack in that film too. Of course, it was then destroyed in "The Search for Spock," so maybe Abrams has tweaked things a little for his trilogy and will have both Spock's death and the destruction of the Abramsfied 'Enterprise' in his second instalment of the new franchise.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  03:31:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I am curious about why this Star Trek 2013 trailer deliberately vocoded (or acted?) Cumberbatch in a way which sounds very, very much like Picard.
One of the REALLY wild rumours floating around the web is that Cumberbatch might actually be playing an ancestor of Picard's family.

I don't put much stock in it myself... but we do know that some of Picard's ancestors served in Starfleet during the Kirk-era -- thanks to some of the older ST books and gaming fiction. So, maybe there is something to those rumours.
quote:
Indeed, I can hardly understand why all the smartest people even have Brit accents in a Utopian Federation Earth without borders, perhaps Starfleet's gardener offers elective language command courses in the evenings, but that's neither here nor there.
Well, it's kind of like the contrast between the "British"-sounding Imperials and the "American"-sounding Rebels in STAR WARS. Aside from any real-world parallels, it's never really been properly explained in either universe.
quote:
Oh well, Khan always rocked (even when Khan is Ricardo Montalban with a rubber chest), but in a way I think I'd prefer Romulans ... the last time they tried to reinvent an evil monomaniacal villain the best they could come up with was Soran The Gweat and Tewwible.
Soran could have potentially been a cool villain... his character just suffered from a somewhat awful script. In parts.

Regardless of whether Cumberbatch is playing Khan or not, I'd expect [and hope] that the character of John Harrison will draw inspiration from many of the classic recurring villains in the classic ST canon.

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Feb 2013 03:33:07
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  03:21:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the hubby and I went to see Warm Bodies today, and MT was right- it was a really FUN movie. I was a little disappointed by the "zombie" effects and erm, zombie-acting, but otherwise it was pretty good. Apparently, zombies DO have a heart, LOL! I liked their take on why they eat brains- as MT said, it's an interesting twist. And I liked how there were actually two kinds of the walking dead. The story was engaging, and the characters were realistic and sympathetic. I liked it! Definitely an original idea.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  03:38:00  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's doubtful that I'd go to see a WoW movie. I gave up on that game years ago -- not only did I actually fall asleep while playing it, there were a lot of things about the game I didn't like. Plus, movies based on games generally draw much vacuum.

I don't know enough about the backstory of the setting to make such a statement, myself. I need more exposure to the fiction [since I've never played the MMO], as my only real experience with the world are the old d20-based tabletop RPGs.

After their deal with White Wolf ended, Blizzard officially declared the tabletop RPG non-canon and have been determined to go in the opposite direction of every good idea it ever had. I suspect out of jealously as the RPG generally came up with better ideas than the MMO did, as the MMO was playing to the lowest common denominator.

That's really disappointing. Because there was a LOT of cool stuff for the WoWRPG in the few books I managed to buy before the White Wolf published license ended. I picked up a couple of the Warcraft RPG books, and one for the later World of Warcraft table-top RPG. Both have plenty of rich content that I've used time and again to flesh out parts of my Realms.

I couldn't agree with you more.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  09:26:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm going to see Die Hard 5 tonight. Can't wait.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  12:37:01  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I ve been a Die Hard fan for ages but the reviews for this one have been pretty negative let me know how it is.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  13:32:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

I ve been a Die Hard fan for ages but the reviews for this one have been pretty negative let me know how it is.

Just saw it [the mall is just a few blocks from where I stay].

I've been a die-hard fan of the Die Hard series. Bruce Willis may be old, but he still has the "spunk," and he's proven he could still make another Die Hard film right.

Lots of action (of course), and the story is decent enough--father and son falling out, reuniting in some un-cheesy fashion and all that, while fighting against a certain mad Russian guy, and yes, saving the "world." The twist, you'd probably see coming about 1/4 of the film. Though it's not a bad thing--it only means you've seen too many action films in your life.

4.0 is better than the new one, but let's not dwell on that...

The antagonists don't have that despicable quality you'd love to hate; however, they're not boring, either.

Alongside Bruce, Jai Courtney delivered a good performance, too; he got the character right. Likely what Batman and Robin would look like had they been father and son.

A "comfort" ride for the fans of the series.

Out of ten possible stars, I give it 7.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  11:24:28  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replying, as I am a die hard fan of Die Hard , I ll definitively check it out when it releases in India.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  13:01:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for replying, as I am a die hard fan of Die Hard , I ll definitively check it out when it releases in India.

You're welcome.

Just a minor quibble though: I'm not sure if they were expecting us here in the Philippines to understand Russian, 'cause there were dialogues in Russian that weren't subbed. Not all, but still . . . [Although maybe there were, and they either just appeared and disappeared so fast for my eyes to catch, or I was simply too engrossed in the scenes that I didn't notice]. Well, let me know if you encounter the same (little) problem. And of course, your thoughts about the film, too. When is it showing in India?

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  08:09:48  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You're welcome.

Just a minor quibble though: I'm not sure if they were expecting us here in the Philippines to understand Russian, 'cause there were dialogues in Russian that weren't subbed. Not all, but still . . . [Although maybe there were, and they either just appeared and disappeared so fast for my eyes to catch, or I was simply too engrossed in the scenes that I didn't notice]. Well, let me know if you encounter the same (little) problem. And of course, your thoughts about the film, too. When is it showing in India?

I'll let you know what the Russian stuff means if our theater screens the film with subtitles. Its releasing here on the 22nd(just two days from now) but since my family wants to see Silver Linings Playbook first(releasing on the same day) I'll have to postpone my review.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  12:39:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Argo won Best Picture in the Oscars. Anyone bothered to see this film? I must admit, though I'm a Ben Affleck fan, the trailer didn't quite grab me.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  13:31:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Problem is, everyone knows the ending... why bother?

I came to the conclusion last night that the oscars are very, VERY boring. The music damn-near put me to sleep. I didn't want to see Wolverine prancing about - I wanted to see him wipe the smug face off of Ironman.

I used to like Seth MacFarlane until last night. His self-indulgent presentation made me want to puke.

I was glad to see so many foreign films represented in major categories (or at least stories about other countries, or being directed/produced in/by other countries, etc) - its about time Hollywood excepted the fact they are no longer 'the only game in town'. I also like the fact that Beasts of the Southern Wild was up for so many awards - just goes to prove you don't need a huge budget or over-paid 'stars' to pull off a good flick. The kid was cocky as hell... but you can get away with that at nine (and she earned her right to BE cocky).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Feb 2013 13:37:25
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  14:06:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's an on-going debate. UK has BAFTA; other counties have their own award-giving bodies for films. Some folks want to think Oscars is for Americans (and to let foreign films be acknowledged, but only in one category [well, Best Foreign Film]).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  15:10:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

You're welcome.

I'll let you know what the Russian stuff means if our theater screens the film with subtitles. Its releasing here on the 22nd(just two days from now) but since my family wants to see Silver Linings Playbook first(releasing on the same day) I'll have to postpone my review.

The Lady K has been trying to convince me to see this film for the last few weeks. Up until yesterday, I had been hesitant.

Finally, now, after I learned of a certain actress's role [as a result of the Oscars] in the film, I told her that I would now be very inclined to see it so long as she acknowledged that there would be only ONE reason why I would sit and watch this type of film.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  16:08:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pshaw! Die Hard ain't got nothin' on Enthiran (aka Indian Robot Endhiran).

A film with action. Nonstop action. Violence and destruction. Utterly senseless wanton violence and destruction. Bizarre and implausible special effects. Only the very best in cheesy CGI. Occasionally catchy techno beat. Inexplicable Soviet translations. A touch of primal mythology. Elvis sideburns. Pure undiluted awesome sauce. So very, very bad that it's good.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 25 Feb 2013 16:22:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  16:33:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Everyone knew the ending to Titanic, as well -- and yet, look at the box office numbers for it.

Sometimes it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  16:37:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's like standard action-comedy films here in my country. You should check out Praybeyt Benjamin--that's more like the gay version of that robot guy.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  16:44:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Everyone knew the ending to Titanic, as well -- and yet, look at the box office numbers for it.

Sometimes it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
True. Besides, many people (including yours truly) who went to see films adapted from novels have read the books, and so they knew perfectly well how the story would end. There's bound to be differences, of course, as a film can't accommodate everything that's happened in a book, but the climax and ending are almost always essentially the same.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  02:09:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, the same could be said of a lot of other films too, really.

I mean, look at story that serves as the plot for Lincoln. My friend and I recently had a "debate" over the merits of whether we should be seeing this film. In his words, "We pretty much know how his story ends." To which I replied, "Yes, though aren't you curious about how the film's writers and director will get him to that point?"

In other words... we may know about the "real" history of these events, but Hollywood often likes to add little tweaks here and there [whether positive or negative], or give heed to strange historical tidbits that aren't always so popularly known.

That's really what we're going to see. It's not about the ending of the story, but the telling of the tale itself.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  07:38:44  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to see Lincoln to see how Hollywood would glam it up. I was of course not disappointed by their silliness. That first scene with Lincoln sitting in a war zone talking to the "bumpkin'" soldiers who try and fail to quote him, only to be outshone by the black guy who just happens to be highly educated and have the speech memorized. I mean come on, only Hollywood could think of such a ridiculous scene.

Despite things like this it wasn't a bad movie. Would have been even better if the director got over himself and ended the movie with the fade to black as he walked out of the White House.

Here's my question to pose to all you scribes: why is it the Hollywood cannot seem to figure out how to end movies any more? So many movies these days hit their climax point, get to the denouement and then the geniuses in hollywood give another 10-15 minutes of resolving action that is completely unneeded.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  10:33:24  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A film with action. Nonstop action. Violence and destruction. Utterly senseless wanton violence and destruction. Bizarre and implausible special effects. Only the very best in cheesy CGI. Occasionally catchy techno beat. Inexplicable Soviet translations. A touch of primal mythology. Elvis sideburns. Pure undiluted awesome sauce. So very, very bad that it's good.

The hero is this film Rajnikanth is known simply as the Boss in India even though he stars mostly in regional films. Though I am a bit surprised to see that this movie is popular abroad as well.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  05:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Argo won Best Picture in the Oscars. Anyone bothered to see this film? I must admit, though I'm a Ben Affleck fan, the trailer didn't quite grab me.

I saw it a while back, same day I saw Seven Psychopaths.

While it was a very good movie, I felt, especially towards the end, they were really milking the tension button for all it was worth.

I enjoyed Seven Psychopaths more, truth be told. But that's not the kind of movie that gets nominated, regardless of how deserving it might be.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  14:50:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The hero is this film Rajnikanth is known simply as the Boss in India even though he stars mostly in regional films. Though I am a bit surprised to see that this movie is popular abroad as well.
That's the power of the Internet.

Though I didn't know about him or his film(s) until Ayrik mentioned it. Indian films aren't exactly that known here in my country. The only other Asian media that has so deeply penetrated ours is Korean (which I consider to be a mixed blessing: both good and bad).

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  15:02:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

quote:

I saw it a while back, same day I saw Seven Psychopaths.

While it was a very good movie, I felt, especially towards the end, they were really milking the tension button for all it was worth.

I enjoyed Seven Psychopaths more, truth be told. But that's not the kind of movie that gets nominated, regardless of how deserving it might be.
That's what I feared upon watching the trailer of Argo. (Though maybe I'll grab the DVD and watch at least the first thirty minutes.)

As for Seven Psychopaths, I don't know, the trailer makes it look like a mash-up of The Whole Ten Yards (the only Bruce Willis film I didn't particularly like) and Meet the Fockers (which was funny, except that Owen Wilson ruined everything).

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  14:51:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just saw Beautiful Creatures today. I was a little bit disappointed. I haven't yet finished reading the novel, but the parts I read were not well-captured in the film. Everything seemed too rushed and slowed down at the same time, as though the director had no idea what to focus on. The fantasy aspect is good enough has this been the '90s, and the romance angle needs some tweaking. Overall, it felt like a movie made for TV.

Five out of ten possible stars.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  17:31:23  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems like a political decision. Argo is only interesting at the beginning. Hundred other movies last year deserve the award more than Argo.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  00:21:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Seems like a political decision. Argo is only interesting at the beginning. Hundred other movies last year deserve the award more than Argo.

It's a movie that's makes Hollywood look patriotic(which as a whole has not been since WWII) so as soon as I read about it I told friends of was going to win the is Oscar for best picture.it winning was Almost as egregious as Daniel Day Lewis winning for Lincoln , that was an impersonation at best, based on decades of lincoln portrayals on film and in writing, not acting.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  00:30:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Beautiful Creatures was pretty good. I have not read the book, so that's probably why.

I also just saw Jack the Giant Slayer. Aside from the momentary comic grossness of the giants I thought it was pretty good. I didn't really like the England tie in at the end, but that was its nly really major flaw. I really liked the rhyming children's story based on the Fe Fi Fo Fum.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 74 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000