Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Elminster Must Die -- Chapters 11 - 15
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  05:28:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Elminster Must Die (part of "The Sage of Shadowdale" saga), by Ed Greenwood. Please discuss chapters 11 - 15 herein.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Aug 2010 16:25:21

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  03:29:56  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, now that we can talk about this novel, I'm on my eighth readthrough. Like most books, I have key scenes that I'll love re-reading many more times in the future, and other stretches that I'll probably only revisit when I re-read the entire novel (which I'll do again when BURY ELMINSTER DEEP comes out, then again when the next one after that is released, and so on).
By this point in the book, I'd realized that the main villain (formerly of Westgate, and more famous/infamous for his rule of another city, before that) is just as insane as El and The Simbul.
The Simbul is drooling/raving/barking mad, El is shambling along lost in grim misery and bitter memories, and Ye Big Villain has fallen into that "purr all my plans triumphantly to myself, cackle cackle" megalomania.
Which is going to make some readers (and inevitably, the second-rate reviewers) unload on Ed for painting his villain this way.
Meaning they're missing the whole point, and the game he's playing here.
I wonder how sane STORM is? Or She who's revealed at the end of the book? And when we'll find out, as their masks slip?
By all the Realms I've ever loved, this is a GOOD book.
Ed demonstrates he's the best Realms writer, bar none. He's working at least two layers deeper in this novel than do Elaine and Erik, the runners-up.
Thank you, Ed. Superior fantasy fiction, which I don't see enough of, these days!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  23:12:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I HOPED someone would see that the main villain's madness was what was making him talk aloud to himself all the time. His behaviour is based on the mannerisms of a real-life nutcase (unscrupulous Canadian businessman and multiple murderer) who constantly mused aloud, sardonically, about his schemes.
Thank you, LL. I'd already begun to get tired of online reviewers decrying the villain's characterisation as bad writing. For me, who knows the guy Ed was basing this on, he's eerily, chillingly "perfect."
Ed tells me to be patient, and see what happens in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP.
And I give him a "look," and murmur back: "Six book contract. So, nothing resolved swiftly, hmm?"
And he grins, shrugs, waves his hands helplessly . . . and winks.
Read into that what you will.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  16:02:07  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting glimpses of "what nobles do" when we see Arclath spending early morning hours doing office work and giving the family factors and servants orders for the day; like a modern real-world CEO working on family enterprizes to get wealthier and wealthier.
A whole book of that might be boring, but I like to see hints and short looks at it; makes everything seem more real.
Nice work, Ed.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  20:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspected that Amarune would be put on the path to Defenderdom but I never expected that she would be N's great great grandaughter... that amused me no end.

I, like Blueblade, was interested by the insight into the day-to-day running of the interests of one of the noble families, as shown by Arclath (who gorws increasingly interesting as a character).

I enjoyed the softening of Wzr Wizard Glartha in the face of long-denied food, a humanising touch!

These last 5 chanpters have contained somewhat less melancholy for me (not least because El and Storm are not being reminded of their Art based failings all of the time).

Chapter 16 Ahoy!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  02:26:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And my boredom persists...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  02:27:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I HOPED someone would see that the main villain's madness was what was making him talk aloud to himself all the time. His behaviour is based on the mannerisms of a real-life nutcase (unscrupulous Canadian businessman and multiple murderer) who constantly mused aloud, sardonically, about his schemes.

Then I'd rather see the cockroach sane. Mayhap he'd be less irritating that way.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2012 :  19:37:34  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And my reread continues. I'd forgotten just how refreshingly aggressive Glathra was. Reminds me of several profs I had in university. A real hatchet, cleaving her way through life . . . though of course Ed is showing us her other sides, too, briefly and subtly. Great literature? No. Great reading? Very much so. Worth re-reading every so often.
BB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000