Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Elminster Must Die -- Chapters 6 - 10
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  05:29:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Elminster Must Die (part of "The Sage of Shadowdale" saga), by Ed Greenwood. Please discuss chapters 6 - 10 herein.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Aug 2010 16:25:42

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  00:17:42  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's better than an appearance of Alusair?

Why an extended appearance, in deadly ghost form hanging out with El of course!

Interesting stuff, this haunted wing of the royal palace where few dare tread.

The passage they had been noticed, measured and undoubtably found wanting, funny stuff.....reminds me of my favorite part of A Knights Tale, when Wiiliam gets to throw a very similar line back at his tormentor!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 08 Aug 2010 00:20:38
Go to Top of Page

IanVeers
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  12:38:08  Show Profile  Visit IanVeers's Homepage Send IanVeers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears as if the past hundred years has really pushed these two to their limits. It certainly seems apparent in Storm and El's "conversations" with War Wizards. They both seem to have lost their sharp tongues, or at least had them dulled. Which is a little sad although a certain noble does make up for it.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  23:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me, these chapters are where Ed moves past the "gotta have a fight, it's a D&D novel" obligatories and starts really getting the reader interested in Marlin and Arclath and all of the supporting characters/Royal Palace staffers. Lots of dialogue because Ed makes everyone talk like real people, not characters speaking the minimum number of lines from the author's script to move a single, simple plot onward. Ed's books all have moments of very realistic confusion, rather than seeming like everyone lives their life on rails, moving to the author's train schedule to bring them into meetings at certain places and times.
I find myself slowing down in this part of the book to enjoy things. Lots of unfolding subplots and details . . . yum . . .
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  20:28:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed LOVED the haunted wing, and wrote a lot of scenes that he had to chop from the novel, that were all about life in the Palace with the haunted wing weighing on everyone's minds, and the general unease amongst the War Wizards about letting it continue to exist, versus what they really had the manpower to accomplish in scouring it out, plus all the rumors around Alusair and other denizens of it, and what "they were scheming to do" to the living....great stuff, but tangential to the novel, and so, down to the cutting-room floor...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2010 :  16:06:31  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I KNOW we'll never get a map of the Royal Palace or the Royal Court buildings, but I was left sure wanting one.
Perhaps just the haunted areas.
BA
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2010 :  00:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to read more feast scenes like the one gave us in this book. With all the Court gossip and chatter . . . I would read and re-read them often, with pleasure.
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  11:33:46  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having only just finished chapter 10 I find myself in agreement with many of the scribes who have posted before me. The development of Marlin and Arclath is interesting to watch, as is that of Amarune. I have an idea of where the Marlin will end up (either stickily or being given a chance to serve in repayment), and similar for Amarune (she may end up being one of the New Defenders), and I am greatly looking forward to seeing whether my suspicions are correct or not.

The scenes with El, Storm and Alusair are enjoyable (especially in the rare moments when they seem to be themselves again. Similarly to IanVeers I noticed that their sharp tongues have be dulled a little, unsurprising perhaps, but sad all the same.

The pleasurable melancholy continues!

I too would like to see a map of the areas described, especially now that teleportation magic no longer works. Far fewer worries about errant adventurers or slayers popping into existence and far more about armouring all of the entrances.

I do hope that we get to see some of the scenes that were pruned, one day, Lady Hooded One. Any scenes that the author enjoys so much are scenes that I definitely want to read.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  10:22:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I'm getting extremely bored. I expected too much. Only to see ghosts and ridiculous nobles.

I'll try and try and try to finish this book, though...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  19:12:22  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would; it's well worth it.
"expected too much?"
never frown at an author for not writing the book you wanted/expected them to. (just sayin')
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  21:53:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ghosts and ridiculous nobles is what made the novel for me.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  02:25:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A Publishing Lackey

I would; it's well worth it.
"expected too much?"
never frown at an author for not writing the book you wanted/expected them to. (just sayin')

I'll reserve my comment on that for the thread I'm planning to start once I finish reading this book. Which of course will include a bit of ranting.

OT: Sage, the gremlins are loose again. Can you just 'nuke' them once and for all?!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2012 :  19:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My re-read of EL MUST DIE continues. Widening and deepening, with the expected Cormyrean intrigue. Nobles good, bad (very bad), and eccentric. Juicy fun for this reader.
Others have written of boredom and disappointed expectations. In this book, not for me.
BB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000