Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Elminster Must Die -- Chapters 16 - 20
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  05:28:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Elminster Must Die (part of "The Sage of Shadowdale" saga), by Ed Greenwood. Please discuss chapters 16 - 20 herein.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Aug 2010 16:25:09

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  03:45:53  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As usual, Ed's Elminster books are as much about other characters as they are about the Old Mage (or, as it seems we're now supposed to call him, the Sage of Shadowdale). In this book, Arclath and Amarune, and the byplay between them, are delightful. I want more novels starring these two . . .
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  19:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to see more of Arclath's mother.
Perhaps a hissing, clawing, and spitting contest between her and Marlin Stormserpent's mother.
Yesssss.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  20:23:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. So did Ed, who thought that each of them could have a book all their own. However, I suspect Susan (Ed's editor) would be in agreement with me when I offered the opinion that Realms readers might not be ready for THAT much cattiness.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

IanVeers
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  14:16:39  Show Profile  Visit IanVeers's Homepage Send IanVeers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall the exact chapter this part was in and unfortunately I don't have the book down in front of me. But it's regarding a rather small part with that drunken Sembian wizard discussing a few things going on about in the realms. Mostly about what he said concerning the Harpers tearing themselves apart over either treacherous or disloyal members. You think there is any validity to that? It seems that was the direction they were hinting at in some of the earlier source books. I remember the new campaign setting touching briefly on it. Something about disbanding because they were no longer needed. That never sat well with me. Any opinions?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2010 :  17:16:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IanVeers, according to Ed:
In that scene, the wizard is espousing the widespread public belief, begun by those who disliked the Harpers, and later aided by some Harpers who saw the usefulness in becoming a smaller, lower-public-profile organization again. The Harpers did officially "disband" to cast adrift some disloyal members (Zhent and other infiltrators), but bever stopped operating.
So there's the truth, and what many believe to be true, and there's quite a gap between them.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2010 :  16:05:12  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, want a lot more about Lady Stormserpent and about Lady Delcastle. Ed creates these fascinating women, and then the action sweeps on and we never see any more of them. Great for DMs, but as a reader, I want MORE.
Sequels, Ed?
BA
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  16:39:44  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More enjoyable chapters from Ed!

Arclath is rapidly becoming one of my favourite characters of the book. A foppish but effective noble? Why am I getting shades of Danilo here? Is the resemblance intentional, or is it just that having played the role so well that any pampered peacock with a hint of the staunch saviour about them will recall him to mind?

El and Storm continue to work out their problems and yet the thing I found most interesting (apart from the hilarity with them trying to get to the Dalestride) was their acceptance that they could no longer go it alone. Something I have always wished for them... so their burden was not quite so heavy a one. Their humour (at swordcaptains for example) was a welcome lift from my worries about them!

A question for people who might know, it says that Caladnei was the one to reinforce the Dalestride before the Spellplague. Why only that portal? (that we know about) And why to the Dales?

Marlin is almost too cartoonish, almost. M's consequent eye-rolling notwithstanding he does rather set my teeth on edge. I want his end to come and SOON.

Vainrence and Ganrahast taken out by so simple a scheme? I was right in my original comment, has Cormyr really fallen so far? Vangey would have been paranoid enough to not try it alone.

The Blueflame Ghosts were pretty much what I had expected, although I don't know too much of this history of the Nine. Now I will have to go and search out what I can. I wonder how much twisiting of their natures Myrkul had to carry out to make them what they are... and if that is why Laer could not be among them (to see her so twisted nwo would have been terrifble!)

Amarune really does seem much like her forebear... and that is a source of much joy for me. Much of who and what she is remains a mystery, and I do so like a mystery!

Wall of text over, on to chapter 21!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  02:32:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iluvrien

More enjoyable chapters from Ed!

Marlin is almost too cartoonish, almost. M's consequent eye-rolling notwithstanding he does rather set my teeth on edge.

No. Not almost, but really cartoon-ish. All nobles are, except Arclath.

Fortunately, my boredom is somewhat alleviated...So I might finish this today.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2012 :  19:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The re-read continues. The story is wide open now, with all the subplots thundering along, and too many of the Forest Kingdom's nobles being their overblown selves. Great storytelling. Though none of it is fresh or new to me, this third time around, it's still very entertaining. And I keep noticing new hints and details, layers to Ed's storytelling. Worth rereading, to be sure.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2012 :  19:43:30  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, I just noticed: no book club threads for BURY ELMINSTER DEEP? As seminal as any novel by the creator of the Realms, and chock-full of Realmslore, to boot?
What gives?
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  02:04:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Sage, I just noticed: no book club threads for BURY ELMINSTER DEEP? As seminal as any novel by the creator of the Realms, and chock-full of Realmslore, to boot?
What gives?
BB

I'm presently reviewing the functioning of the Book Club, with the intent toward opening an entirely new branch of scrolls dedicated to most of the more recent new releases -- like Bury Elminster Deep.

I'll also be including scrolls for e-book releases, just as soon as I've the relevant chapter-info from those scribes with access to these books.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  03:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. It occurs to me that there are quite a few new releases just out, imminent, or due before end of year (new releases from Ed, from Salvatore, de Bie, Evans, and just out from Baker, Cordell, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few).
BB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000