Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 'Mega-Dungeons' of Faerun!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  12:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funky.

So there are plenty of dwarven ruins to pick from; so far we've mentioned Ascore, Gauntlgrym, Oghrann and Tethyamar. Other (non-dwarven) contenders are Shoonach, the 12 Cities of the Sword, Solon and Ahjuu, and a few non-city places like Ironfang Keep and Castle Perilous (which I think is a wonderfully cheesy name). Oh yeah, some some little hole in the ground called the Warlocks Crypt, or something... ;)

I'm sure e could easily spend the better part of a decade listing possible mega-dungeons (an activity I wholly endorse) but shall we pick one to start fiddling with in more detail? I find myself leaning towards the Mines of Tethyamar due to the Moria comparison or somewhere more exotic like Warlocks Crypt.

What other crazy stuff we got floating around out there?

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

503 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  15:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If memory serves me correctly there are some 3E references for Tethyamar, an encampment. It would give you guys a base to see what architecture in the area was like.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  16:09:44  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question: where can I find information on Gauntlgrym, Tethyamar and Warlocks Crypt?

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  19:03:07  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The biggest bit on Warlocks Crypt, I believe, is in Magic of Faerun (3e), and possibly some tidbits in GHotR. The other two are only briefly discussed in the 3e campaign setting (again, as far as I know) and GHotR.

I'm sure there are some 1e/2e sources I'm not familiar with though.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  14:08:45  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
best for the Warlock's Crypt is Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, Tethyamar http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/frindex/detail_58.htm#Tethyamar

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  21:49:56  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any further thoughts for sites worthy of development?

I'm going to be a tad busy for a few days yet to contribute much, but I think we can get some good community projects going around here!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  00:25:32  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Just looked up the mines; yup, that's Moria! How the hell did I miss that? As for the Crypt, I'd like to get a good peek in, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the only way in is if you are politely invited, and even then typical adventuring behaviour may be ill advised. :)

I've recently been pondering the possibilities of Oreme, or whatever that city in northern Anauroch is called where the Sarrukh liches 'live'. You could definitely have some prolonged desert flavoured nastiness in the city itself and whatever lies beneath it.

Does anyone have a map of this?? i would love to see it

"Use yer heads! A barnyard goose tastes better 'an a wild one cause it don't use its muscles. The same oughta hold true for a giant's brains!"
Bruenor Battlehammer
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  00:51:00  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ironfang Keep is for me one hell of an interesting place... No one knows whats in there! Not even Ed!!!

Ohh and Orome, well good luck getting passed the 25K old atomic-powerful liches!!!

Ohh ohh and the Imaskacani ruins... "The Imaskacana" do I need to say more!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  01:18:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dinnin

quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Just looked up the mines; yup, that's Moria! How the hell did I miss that? As for the Crypt, I'd like to get a good peek in, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the only way in is if you are politely invited, and even then typical adventuring behaviour may be ill advised. :)

I've recently been pondering the possibilities of Oreme, or whatever that city in northern Anauroch is called where the Sarrukh liches 'live'. You could definitely have some prolonged desert flavoured nastiness in the city itself and whatever lies beneath it.

Does anyone have a map of this?? i would love to see it

I don't recall an official map existing, actually.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  13:22:09  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about the one in the computer game Dungeon Hack. That's a pretty big dungeon with lots of denizens. Where is it located anyways?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  15:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of the places we've listed so far, not least Tethyamar/Moria, are big enough to defy most attempts at mapping. Having said that, the poor ****ers I DM for are about to blunder face first through the front doors of Oreme and into a possible audience with the Terraseer, so whatever maps I scribble up for that I'll put a link to here, if anyone's interested. It may be a little while before reality lets me spend much time on that though, nor am I much of an artist, so don't get too excited.

Imaskar stuff is also fun. the Imaskarcana are great toys, and I've just written up a layer of the Abyss with Imaskari ties on one of the other shelves, which might be linkable to any such ruins to illicit extra blood-curdling screams. Do we ever get any hints anywhere about Imaskari architecture and aesthetics? I know they liked purple and had a thin for planar/spatial manipulation magic, but that's all I recall off the top of my head.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Azyx Drow Wizard
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  18:52:01  Show Profile  Visit Azyx Drow Wizard's Homepage Send Azyx Drow Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail and well met knowledgeable sages!
As this is my first post, I implore you to bear with me.
It has been my hope for some time now, that I will become one of those who walk these hallowed halls of Candlekeep.

As far as this topic is concerned, there is a full description and a map of one of the outposts of the kingdom of Tethyamar, in the 3.5 edition book "Lords of Darkness".

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  19:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the keep!

Cheers for pointing that out, actually; I'd forgotten about it. Should be good for some inspiration.

Do feel free to chuck any old ideas you might have onto the scroll, it's all good!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Azyx Drow Wizard
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  22:20:57  Show Profile  Visit Azyx Drow Wizard's Homepage Send Azyx Drow Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since Tethyamar is described as being overrun by " ogres, orcs, fiends and powerful wizards" we can pretty much go wild here, in terms of combining the encounters for the dungeon itself.
Also, there is mention of many on offspring left by the fiends, so there is room for all kinds of evil planetouched. Just to name a few: tieflings, tannaruk, lots of fiendish animals and magical bests as pets for the antagonists, and, then just for fun, throw in an ocassional NPC with a half-fiend template.
Go to Top of Page

Azyx Drow Wizard
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  22:31:30  Show Profile  Visit Azyx Drow Wizard's Homepage Send Azyx Drow Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe also on the lower levels that connect to the Underdark, the drow or duergar or mind flayers or beholders, or some such Underdark race has taken hold.

So we can make a conflict inside of the dungeon between the occupants on the different levels (borrowing heavily from Undermountain here

And maybe even add a dragon or two, or a whole family, for that matter, at the bottom most level with appropriate hoard to reward your players for getting this far.
( I know it's kinda stereotypical but everyone likes a good dragon fight, and they make very good end-villains)

Cleric Generic, please give me your opinion on this, as I am still in the process of learning how to become a good DM.

And, as always, any other opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  22:48:33  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going wild is the whole idea!

You could have bits of the place divvied up into petty fiefs held by warring factions of fiends, half breeds, wizards and cults, all fighting over the treasures of the dwarves and the steady supply of other shiny bits helpfully supplied by idiot adventurers. You could have bolt holds of dwarves in there as well trying to retake portions of the place as well.

Given the location of the place 'powerful wizards' could mean all mean all kinds of nasties: netherese liches, shadovari magi, zhents of various persuasions and presumably drow of any number of factions... Glee!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Azyx Drow Wizard
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  01:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Azyx Drow Wizard's Homepage Send Azyx Drow Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just remembered something very interesting!

There has to be a place for a deepspawn somewhere in that dungeon.

Maybe an advanced version, with bigger HD.

I seem to remember a scroll here that mentioned the total number of spawn that a deepspawn can make. If some of the other sages could direct me to that scroll I would really appreciate it.

Those nasties also hoard items and gold and could make for a very interesting encounter, although the other inhabitants of the dungeon would ally together against this single threat.
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  10:29:04  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the wailing dwarf comes to my mind here, too. A complete fortress city, filled with troll kings, guardian nagas and worse.....

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  11:04:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

the wailing dwarf comes to my mind here, too. A complete fortress city, filled with troll kings, guardian nagas and worse.....

Plus the shape of the exterior is awesome

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  12:32:57  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@alisttair:

aye it is.

the description of the interior reminds me of the scene in LOTR, where they "recruit" the undead traitors in the cave-city

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  21:04:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dungeon of Death, Dragonspear, Hellgate Keep, Dungeon of the Crypt, etc, etc... the 1e maps were full of locales like that (and I believe the first two I mentioned actually have modules attached to them, IIRC).

For me, the best would be Thunderholme, which is infested with dwarven Skeletons, and "below lies some great evil". It is best described in the 2e Player's Guide to the Forgotten Realms (which reads more like a story then a sourcebook, and is a GOLDMINE of info not available elsewhere). Its nestled in the Thunderpeaks.

Funny how there were dwarven kingdoms in the Cormyr Mountains, yet very little evidence of that remains. We have the Haunted Halls, the Crystal Grott, some 'invisble city' of mystics, Thunderholme, etc... not to mention Lost Oghrann... all evidence that the mountain ranges are extensively tunneled and hold ruins, but very little canonical evidence to link them all. Isn't there also at least one Drow city below Cormyr? (Sshanntynlan?)

Since most of the deeper dungeons connect to the Underdark at some point, and supposedly the deepest parts of the underdark connect to the Planer Underdark (The Underlands, pg.18, Beyond Countless Doorways), doesn't that make the entire universe one immense dungeon?

We are just an experiment. When the rats find their way out of the maze, they find they have merely entered a larger maze.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Mar 2011 07:12:43
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  08:49:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alderac Entertainment published a product called The World's Largest Dungeon, 850 pages, 16 full-sized poster maps, listed in the Guiness Book of Records. I once played in a group which entered this dungeon (it kinda replaced Undermountain), the group fell apart after three months, we never made it out.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  13:50:15  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't feel too bad Arik. I don't know of any group that has actually "finished" that dungeon. Personally, I have played in two different groups that have tried. It's just too huge, too repeditive (we must have killed 40+ near the entrance), and lacks any sort of overarching plot.

I think that's the difference between many FR mega-dungeons and most 3rd party ones - a plot. I especially like the plots from places like Thunderholme that Markusky just mentioned, which is to find out what happened to the missing dwarves and why they sealed their city. Most FR mega-dungeons have a plot that's bigger than "kill the monsters, take their treasure" even if you're PC's don't know it when you first enter. It's one of the things that makes the Realms so different (and much more enjoyable in my opinion).

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  17:27:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I ran Greyhawk, I used both pre-fab dungeons (TSR & 3rd party), along with several of my own creation. At that time, the plots were either very thin or non-existent (called 'fun-house' dungeons).

The closest I ever came to a plot for one of my homebrews was a ruined museum owned by eccentric archmage, long-dead. Someday I should scan some of my old hand-drawn maps just for posterity - they were MUCH better then the story-lines.

Which is why I moved to FR when I 'matured' (or rather, my tastes did... the rest of me is still pretty juvenile).

@Halidan - The Shades were looking for Eldorado TOO?

You know, in a very bizarre way, that actually makes sense...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Mar 2011 17:31:03
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  22:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

Don't feel too bad Arik. I don't know of any group that has actually "finished" that dungeon.
That's the nature of megadungeons or campaign dungeons: they're dynamic environments, little worlds of their own; you can no more finish them than you can a city.
quote:
Most FR mega-dungeons have a plot that's bigger than "kill the monsters, take their treasure" even if you're PC's don't know it when you first enter. It's one of the things that makes the Realms so different (and much more enjoyable in my opinion).

Well, they have a backstory, and a range of potential things PCs can choose to do in them. Not a plot in the sense of a single preordained purpose. You can explore the mysteries of Halaster -- or Zagyg -- but it won't exhaust Undermountain. In general, the Realms uses dungeons not so much as self-contained experiences but as elements to combine in larger struggles, as prototypically with the Knights of Myth Drannor's exploits in the Haunted Halls.

Edited by - Faraer on 24 Mar 2011 22:21:26
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  22:21:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm inclined to agree with Halidan; the problem with most mega-dungeons is sheer boredom. IMO, even Underdark carries things just a tiny bit too far at times. Kick-in-the-door or carefully-plod-and-map-the-darkness dungeon crawls are fine diversions but just aren't sufficiently engaging to sustain interest, they lack a lot of dimension. Where's the plot? Even powergamers and CRPG players on LevelUp XP harvesting rampages need a little plot to chew on. The Realms has a lot more to offer than, say, an expanded version of 1980s-style Eye of the Beholder, Wizardry, or Bard's Tale. [All fine games, btw, but certainly not as entertaining as a rich tabletop Realms campaign.]

I think TWLD would be a great product if it allowed visitors to actually exit the dungeon now and then, the underground railroad thing is just not palatable to players. It's an awesome product to replace or augment Undermountain or the Underdark, it can easily be chopped up into hundreds of bite-sized modules (and your players will never know if that creaky wooden door they just jammed open leads to the Tomb of Horrors - at least not until it's too late, mwoohahahaa).

I notice that larger dungeons equate into exponentially longer play times to complete, maybe it's just because my paranoid players stubbornly insist on scrutinizing every pebble for secret doors, maybe they're just slowpokes, I dunno.

Ruins of Greyhawk is another fine mega-dungeon sort of adventure. Meant to be set in the Greyhawk setting, of course.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 24 Mar 2011 22:27:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000