Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What happened to Open ,Free and Spirited Debate?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  01:23:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bladeinAmn

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

it would always be possible for a bunch of scribes to get together to write up their own "non-official", amateur take on the realms, if enough people get on it it would build a critical mass...it might only be fan-fic but continuity wouldnt be a problem if if was shared.....just a thought...after all its what spawned Pathfinder after all...

Unfortunately, due to the fact that there is no fan-site policy, any amateur material (like what has been published in past Candlekeep Compendiums) could be claimed by WotC/Hasbro as IP infringement.

They could claim that, but they wouldn't have a case. Not one that'd stand up in any court of law that I can think of, unless the judge is crooked.

FR had success in editions 1-3 b/c it was a shared world wherein we could take the canon lore, and make our own stories from it to share w/our friends and new friends. That's what the heart and soul of Ed's world was all about. W/that being said, all Snowblood's idea would have to do is state on a website of his idea, that what is contained in the website is NOT canon lore.

What's more, Snowblood's idea operates much like how Living Forgotten Realms (LFR)works, but we're simply saying that we like the old lore better, and we don't want the LFR people, as nice and hardworking as they are, to be our DM's and playmates.

Given all of that, it'd be much more dangerous for WotC/Hasbro to themselves to claim IP infringement, as they wouldn't have a case at all. Rather, it'd open up a whole new can of worms for them, giving occasion for the defendants (if WotC/Hasbro chooses to claim IP infrignement) to thoroughly probe into the how and why 4E is so different from previous editions, even unto tearing down the spirit of how the fanbase community (and the $$$ we've put into buying 1-3E products) made the FR the big fantasy genre that it is.

Untrue. The history of fan sites -- no matter the content, no matter the owner of the IP -- shows us that it doesn't take a lot of effort for someone to get a site shut down if it's based on their IP. And even when the IP owner doesn't have a leg to stand on, they can often get what they want simply by drawing out a legal battle -- because the big companies can afford legal expenses a whole lot more readily.

As for opening up a can of worms, companies have done it before. And it's undeniable that some of the business decisions made by WotC over the last few years have angered and/or alienated some of their target audience.

We very much exist at the sufferance of WotC.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  05:17:17  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's very strange, because I think that for all of my quiet disagreement with the integration of 4e into the Realms, it's the new fansite policy (or lack thereof) that has kept me from anything 4e the most. I find myself unwilling to post anything resembling a story set in 4e unless I am willing to lose it to corporate machinations without my knowledge.

It's a bit stifling in some ways and it can't be easy to moderate with that sort of legal mess in mind either.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  06:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

>stuff<... And it's undeniable that some of the business decisions made by WotC over the last few years have angered and/or alienated some of their target audience.

We very much exist at the sufferance of WotC.

Thank you for pointing out the last two things.

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  06:27:31  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strictly speaking, the Open Gaming License might be a method for a website to be able to publish nearly anything it wants.

Am I wrong in that assumption?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  09:12:35  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It should be possible to discuss a topic without it getting personal, there are prose & cons to every edition of the realms...I know of old timers who still play 1st edition & rail against the ToT......the trick is how do we all get along & promote good lore regardless of which edition we play....having said that our campaign has quarried ideas from every edition of D&D from the good old "red box & White book" all the way up to bits of the living realms......and yes the bottom line is WOTC tolerance for fringe dwellers like me.........sigh

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  10:46:34  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're creating something for the good of the community and it is free- you should have no issues. I have a good friend that is an IP lawyer & the owner of a local gaming convention so I will get his opinion. But I am positive that creating your own fiction is not in violation of any law if it is both public and free. I think this is a lot to do about nothing...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  10:50:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Strictly speaking, the Open Gaming License might be a method for a website to be able to publish nearly anything it wants.

Sure, for D&D 3.5 -- but not for specific campaign worlds owned by WotC.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  10:56:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

If you're creating something for the good of the community and it is free- you should have no issues. I have a good friend that is an IP lawyer & the owner of a local gaming convention so I will get his opinion. But I am positive that creating your own fiction is not in violation of any law if it is both public and free. I think this is a lot to do about nothing...

Believe it or not, I agree with you. But as I said above, even being free hasn't always protected sites in the past -- I don't know of any time WotC has gone after a free site, but I know of other authors/companies that have. Until WotC comes out with a true fan site policy -- one other than the "use our logos and don't criticize us" one -- I'm not comfortable with any collated collection of fan material.

They've had all the time in the world to come up with something better, and what they came up with should have addressed sites like ours, but didn't. I have a hard time thinking that's not deliberate.

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  11:16:27  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand Wooly's concerns and agree to a point...but then how should we categorise the Candle Keep Compendiums...if not a collection of fan based lore...??????? I'm perplexed.....

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  11:49:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

I understand Wooly's concerns and agree to a point...but then how should we categorise the Candle Keep Compendiums...if not a collection of fan based lore...??????? I'm perplexed.....

That's exactly what they are... But when we were doing them before, there was no official fan site policy. Now there is one, though it really doesn't address sites like ours.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  13:04:11  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

The current GSL is not as open as the OGL was. One of the biggest points of contention is that they can 'revoke' the GSL, thereby pulling the rug out from underneath the publisher of 4th edition material, and one of the reasons you don't see as many third party publishers as you did for 3rd edition.

Under 3E's OGL, you can still publish whatever you want (hence, Pathfinder). But since we're an edition-neutral site, the rules regarding pure Realmslore is very murky.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Eye of Horus-Re
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  13:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Eye of Horus-Re's Homepage Send Eye of Horus-Re a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I for one have come to Candlekeep more most recently because (in part) of the changeover. I can't get any new lore about the world I enjoy playing in. So what do I do? Come to the greatest collection of sages and lore in the Realms. I do this and find an abundance of material and ideas to use in my 1370's game. I will have enough stuff here to last years! I am glad that Candlekeep has become (for me) exactly what its name implies. But I also agree that I come here to vent a bit with (some) like minded individuals.

Long live 1384 and that which came before....!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  13:11:03  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It goes along the same lines as if you wrote a story using Anne Rice's characters and published it for free on the web. The legality of FanFic has been a long and very heated debate, especially with the onset of the internet. Some authors love it, others hate it and some want to err on the side of caution.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  14:12:03  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Then perhaps Mr. James, you would contact the powers that be at esteemed WotC and ask them for a clarification of Candlekeeps position vis a vis the Candlekeep Compendia now and in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  16:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arry

quote:

Then perhaps Mr. James, you would contact the powers that be at esteemed WotC and ask them for a clarification of Candlekeeps position vis a vis the Candlekeep Compendia now and in the future.

Seconded, though I doubt they'll react at all. All us old farts are off their radar anyway.

Or they just declare all the stuff is their property and bugger us that way.

Sorry, I doubt anything positive will come from it. It took them years to realize a product like GHotR, and only after Matt had already done the job, something I still salute you for.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  16:23:43  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:

quote:

Seconded, though I doubt they'll react at all. All us old farts are off their radar anyway.

Sorry, I doubt anything positive will come from it. It took them years to realize a product like GHotR, and only after Matt had already done the job, something I still salute you for.

*cough*Matt's brother Brian*cough*

Love ya, Matt!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  16:43:43  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no special "ins" to WotC- especially their legal department. I am just a freelance writer. But I am willing to bet that if I created fan-fiction that I freely gave away with no burden to the company (meaning, it is not done in malice or contempt), they would ignore it. At the very least, it is harboring continued interest and creativity for their product. In fact, I would argue they would be silly to ignore FREE work on their part. As long as I am not turning Drizzt into a women or morphing Elminster into a fairy, I'm sure they won't care.

Now, if I regurgitate items from their published products (like other sites did, and were slammed for), that is another topic.

The compendium should continue and CK has been sitting on it due to waiting for a company policy.

Worse-case senario? Take the project down if they bark.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  19:25:51  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second Matts opinion.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  19:46:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have no special "ins" to WotC- especially their legal department. I am just a freelance writer. But I am willing to bet that if I created fan-fiction that I freely gave away with no burden to the company (meaning, it is not done in malice or contempt), they would ignore it. At the very least, it is harboring continued interest and creativity for their product. In fact, I would argue they would be silly to ignore FREE work on their part. As long as I am not turning Drizzt into a women or morphing Elminster into a fairy, I'm sure they won't care.

Now, if I regurgitate items from their published products (like other sites did, and were slammed for), that is another topic.

The compendium should continue and CK has been sitting on it due to waiting for a company policy.

I agree that it should continue, but I think you're being conservative on the Worst-Case Scenario. Look at Emma's Character Sheets. For years, he had provided customizable PDF sheets from his website for all OGL-content games. As soon as he published a 4E sheet, he was served with a Cease & Desist and had to shut down his entire site, not just remove the offending 4E sheets.

Now, granted, he was charging for server space if you wanted to save your sheet on his server, so it's not quite the same as free fiction/lore that we could have here. But I'd rather Alaundo go with caution and wait for a fansite policy than to publish a new one and have to shut down ALL of Candlekeep due to a C&D.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  19:50:13  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they'll ever release such a policy... we all've been waiting on one for some time now

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  03:44:08  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure they'll ever release one, Mace... I suspect that this is just one more way for them to keep the Realms canvas as blank as possible for their novel writers, and prevent connection of the old lore with the new Realms. The ToT and the Spellplague have combined to make me realize one very important fact: The difficulty of writing good gaming material and good novels set in the same world is something that Wizbro has simply chosen not to deal with, and one guess as to which end is suffering. To be fair, I'm basing this assessment on the two published hardcovers and one published adventure; I haven't seen any DDI articles for the 4E Realms apart from the introductory article on Cormyr, which (I must admit) was very well done... but we needed something like that on the order of 192 pages in hardcover for 3.5, including the still-unpublished Lineage in its entirety. The novels have been far and away the best products to come out of WotC since the release of 4E, and I think that's a reflection of the elbow room they have now... and the resulting insane amount of work required of a DM who wants to set a 4E Realms campaign anywhere except Laerakond or Cormyr. [/rant]

My question is, what happens if the novels (which clearly, unlike the gaming products, do not have a three-title ceiling) do far better than the gaming products, and/or nobody at Wizbro stops to prorate the sales statistics according to the number of titles? Do the Realms become a novels-only setting for 5E? I could live with that, if it would result in long-upheld NDAs being dealt with in novel form and the lore getting out in some fashion... ideally in online articles that can be paid for and downloaded individually, because that's the only format in which I can see DDI working long-term. Just my thoughts; YMMV.

To return to topic: I'm with Ashe on this, but for different reasons. Alaundo and co. have enough on their plates with the CK2 project and the collation of "So Saith Ed" that needs to be caught up on. Leave the Compendium until these projects are complete (but continue to collect submissions in anticipation of its eventual release), and hopefully we can get something concrete from Wizbro in the meantime... but, for reasons stated at the beginning of this post, I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: CK2 should be our #1 focus right now as a community; the last half-dozen posts I've made have timed out and resulted in either double-posts or my post count not incrementing. Strangely, it's either one or the other... any ideas, Sage?

And I meant "as a community"... if there's anything I can do to help (as long as it doesn't involve money; I'm not making enough of that for myself right now, sadly), PM me or email me. My web-coding skills are more than a bit rusty, but I wouldn't mind a reason to polish them up.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 Mar 2010 03:52:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  03:51:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:

quote:

Considering the number of authors that come here, and the number of designers that have walked our halls in the past, I hardly think we're off their radar. Heck, there are at least a couple of novels that thank or are dedicated to this site, and at least one specificly names some of us (and it is so freaking cool to see your name in a novel! ). We may not be on any official radar, but I find it quite unlikely that they don't pay any attention at all to us.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  03:54:36  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Considering the number of authors that come here, and the number of designers that have walked our halls in the past, I hardly think we're off their radar. Heck, there are at least a couple of novels that thank or are dedicated to this site, and at least one specificly names some of us (and it is so freaking cool to see your name in a novel! ). We may not be on any official radar, but I find it quite unlikely that they don't pay any attention at all to us.

Let's hope you're right, Wooly... maybe we'll get that clarification yet... but I'll believe it when I see it.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  04:32:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

Let's hope you're right, Wooly... maybe we'll get that clarification yet... but I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh, I'm not holding my breath on it... I was just saying that WotC is not unaware of us. That doesn't mean they like or dislike us, just that they've not forgotten we're over here.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  05:08:35  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

I agree that it should continue, but I think you're being conservative on the Worst-Case Scenario. Look at Emma's Character Sheets. For years, he had provided customizable PDF sheets from his website for all OGL-content games. As soon as he published a 4E sheet, he was served with a Cease & Desist and had to shut down his entire site, not just remove the offending 4E sheets.

Now, granted, he was charging for server space if you wanted to save your sheet on his server, so it's not quite the same as free fiction/lore that we could have here. But I'd rather Alaundo go with caution and wait for a fansite policy than to publish a new one and have to shut down ALL of Candlekeep due to a C&D.

You do also realize that he was making public each and every single power/ability possessed by WotC's 4E material. This pretty much means that you don't really need any books because the power selection were free and at your finder-tips. It's one thing to post feats and a spell description without actual mechanics thrown in (like the old spell list of 3.5) but had he thrown in all the mechanics of spells/maneuvers/stances/etc.. his site would've met the same fate.

As to the OGL, free-lance, creative stuff using FR and D&D, I've yet to encounter once any Cease & Desist letter or e-mail based on my conversions or statting out things of my own design. Hell, I go so far as to take the description and "fluff" of certain classes and transpose them on 4E paragon paths and what-not that I've created. Either my stuff sucks and they don't care or it's nothing WotC cares to take seriously.

Now if I were to put that on a PDF and sell on the internet, then we'd have some issues. I'm using their material, literally, to make a profit and not share that with then nor even ask for the rights to use them for gain. That is what I think they're mostly worried about.
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  08:53:00  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with what 'he' said..... now Woolly.....how do we go about approaching WOTC for an official policy concerning Candlekeep and its compendiums...????? I mean I've created volumes of Fanfic stuff about old elven realms that other FR connected people have commeneted on in a positive manner...but I try to acknowledge my sources and I don't charge even though hundreds of hours go into each volume......I'm happy to share....still 'twould be nice to keep them here at the Keep for all to have.... I'll keep producing them & letting people view them until WOTC or Woolly says otherwise.......

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  10:29:27  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  10:38:10  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

Oh, I'm not holding my breath on it... I was just saying that WotC is not unaware of us. That doesn't mean they like or dislike us, just that they've not forgotten we're over here.

I would say they more likely like us than dislike us. I doubt the references to Candlekeep in the novels is them saying "watch out, we know you're there, and we know your intent [Compendium]".....then again, if its anything like the Karsus conspiracy.... http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13389

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Edited by - Alisttair on 18 Mar 2010 10:40:15
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  10:41:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm leaning towards this train of thought as well...agree that the sites that got shut down was for copying copyright material (the mention of free info on powers...)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  11:33:46  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm still here too, which can't be said of the WizBoards, which I ceded to Lord Karsus et al.

Free and open debate, well there are oh so many variables that come in here and we pretty early asked for a flagging of threads going on about AD&D, 3E or more specifically 4E lore. I for one do not exactly make a great difference between the post-Spellplague Realms and 4E, for IMHO (sic!) the latter caused the former. Because of that, many of the "old school" will most likely have sincere reservations about 4E too, whether or not it is seen as a kind of WoW-at-the-table (which I tend to agree to as well).

To me, the 4E Realms constitute deicide, mass-genocide, selective oblitteration and annihilation of the world plus handing incentives for megalomania to the PC. On top of that, previous half-No-No's seem to have become the norm, a norm to please the gamers (i.e. players), not the lorekeepers. Taking anything privately produced and e.g. made public on here out of the gamers hands (GLC) just adds to the alienation of the previous generation, not mentioning the DDI "lore" stuff, which essentially cuts off the old school folk wanting to read books on the train or carry them to the next gaming session. (And I don't want to bolster the printer industry's profits either.)

Be that as it may, I had a look at the new Realms nonetheless and they did not hit home, despite me trying to be objective. As that ancient song goes ...

For these green hills are not Highland hills,
Or the island hills, they're not my land's hills,
And fair as these green foreign hills may be,
They are not the hills of home.

As always, you can play any system in any age of the Realms, pre- or post-ToT, or pre- or post-Spellplague. I wanted Myrkul for my 3RE Night Below campaign and hence placed it at 1200 D.R., no problem. I have lorebooks and material here to spent the rest of my days happily playing AD&D or 3RE in the Realms pre-Spellplague. Still, there is that lingering thought that by canon (and I am a traditionalist that accepts canon*) nigh everything that I have played or nigh all characters and deities I used will be gone come 1380 and for any greater reason than IMHO "just because". There was no reason whatsoever to do what WotC did to the Realms, not even for all the strangenesses of 4E. Hence may the Pogues forgive me but ...

A curse upon you Hasbro Wizards
You who raped Ed Greenwood’s lands
I hope you rotten down in hell
For the horrors that you sent
To us misfortunate Faerûnians
Whom you robbed of their Realms bright
"To hell or Connaught", may you burn in hell tonight!

Since I am heavily involved in translating Pathfinder these days, I do not have much time to dwell on here or finish the FR stuff that I was looking to present to the Scribes on here. Though one still wonders whether GLC will click in here too, despite it all being strictly 3RE and pre-Spellplague material. Which again does add to the frustration.

*That said, some of the "forced"-canon (drow and Mystra deicide) includes so much garbage, that this old feeling about "new canon beats old and holds true" essentially went out of the window at the end of 3RE.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 18 Mar 2010 11:39:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000