Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Love Lives: Drizzt & Cattie-Brie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  13:49:58  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
i think i remember reading a similar topic over ras forum a couple of years ago but im bringing it up here because its something that really pees me off.namely how many years does it take drizzt to sleep with cattie brie from when wulfgar dies.they must spend the best part of 10 years eyeing each other up before anything happens.i we supposed to believe that a stunning young woman is going to spend the best part of a decade celibate.its not like they cant mention sex.eds books are full of it.for me it was just ridicoulous.

Mod edit: Subject changed to something that more accurately reflects the scroll's content.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Apr 2009 20:17:34

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  14:37:52  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
O.o

Well, Drizzt, I believe is more of an introvert when it comes to that type of subject. If you think about it, he grew up in a female-dominated world where the issue of sex/love wasn't so much affection, but power.

I think, had Drizzt been a surface elf, it would have turned differently. Plus, he did meet C-B when she was like 8 or something, and she is the daughter of his best friend (Bruenor).

Those issues, more than biological sex drive, are what postponed the inevitable.

My $0.02.

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  14:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aye ... my opinion ...

theres several factors which should be counted

the heavily matriachical system which runs in drow society and the fact that its a somewhat a MayFly December Romance ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MayflyDecemberRomance ) with some added brotherly feelings ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HikaruGenjiPlan ) on top of it

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Edited by - Sian on 02 Apr 2009 14:47:22
Go to Top of Page

Iliyan
Acolyte

Croatia
42 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  18:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Iliyan's Homepage Send Iliyan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Drizzt was a lousy lover? Hehe... Not talkig about emotions here, just pure down n dirty physical! :D
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  21:28:09  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

O.o

Well, Drizzt, I believe is more of an introvert when it comes to that type of subject. If you think about it, he grew up in a female-dominated world where the issue of sex/love wasn't so much affection, but power.

I think, had Drizzt been a surface elf, it would have turned differently. Plus, he did meet C-B when she was like 8 or something, and she is the daughter of his best friend (Bruenor).
still dosent explain cb goin without for all those years.surely she would have had all sorts of men throwin themselves at her.
Those issues, more than biological sex drive, are what postponed the inevitable.

My $0.02.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  21:29:24  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry dont know what i did there.

Go to Top of Page

bishopssix
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  22:18:11  Show Profile  Visit bishopssix's Homepage Send bishopssix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it's kinda messed up to be taking your friends girl after he dies....

Dal L' Nizzre' Lu' L' Qeesuaco
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  03:29:56  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention that he's a longer lived race. He had that issue to deal with as well.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  06:37:20  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

i think i remember reading a similar topic over ras forum a couple of years ago but im bringing it up here because its something that really pees me off.namely how many years does it take drizzt to sleep with cattie brie from when wulfgar dies.they must spend the best part of 10 years eyeing each other up before anything happens.i we supposed to believe that a stunning young woman is going to spend the best part of a decade celibate.its not like they cant mention sex.eds books are full of it.for me it was just ridicoulous.

I seem to recall something about Drizzt and Catti finally doing... er... consummating their love at the tail end of The Two Swords. I don't think you are far off with the ten year estimate though. Too much navel gazing and not enough "kiss me you idiot."
Go to Top of Page

bishopssix
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  07:31:35  Show Profile  Visit bishopssix's Homepage Send bishopssix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one else thinks it's messed up to take your friends girl after he's dead.....?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  11:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bishopssix

No one else thinks it's messed up to take your friends girl after he's dead.....?

I guess it depends on many factors. Its easier if you know your friend would want his girl to be happy once he is gone (of course, in RL, he wouldn't come back, whereas in the Realms, death can be reversed...but still...) I think in their situation, sailing on a ship for a decade or whatever ammount of time, it might have been acceptable after a solid 5 years.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  15:41:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not at all, I have no problem with that. And if there are two people involved one can hardly say that one of them takes the other.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  16:50:54  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

how many years does it take drizzt to sleep with cattie brie from when wulfgar dies.they must spend the best part of 10 years eyeing each other up before anything happens.

Drizzt was probably quite happy to keep polishing his scimitars during those ten years.

Seriously, I think the main reasons have been said, he first met her when she was a little girl, she's his friend's adopted daughter and the widow of his other friend, who happens to be a big northern barbarian type.

Drizzt could also be asexual and have little interest in underblanket capers.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  17:19:42  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or perhaps he's got quite a problem with sex because the first woman wanting to bed with him was his big sister who had done all the work raising him as his fostermother, now that's creepy! (Her wanting to bed with him was due to her inability to distinguish between love and lust, an inability due to the drow way of life. Poor girl, I pity her, what she actually was trying to say was:"I love you" because I don't think that incest isn't an big issue among drow)

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  17:59:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

Not at all, I have no problem with that. And if there are two people involved one can hardly say that one of them takes the other.

Agreed, totally. No one knew Wulfgar was eventually going to come back, and besides, feelings are dynamic. After Wulfgar died, Cattie-brie realized she had feelings for Drizzt--so, they became a couple. *shrug* I don't see a problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Seriously, I think the main reasons have been said, he first met her when she was a little girl, she's his friend's adopted daughter and the widow of his other friend, who happens to be a big northern barbarian type.

I wouldn't say Cattie-brie was Wulfgar's widow. They were planning to be married, but that never happened, and they didn't ever consider each other a "married couple" (unlike Cattie-brie and Drizzt, who do call each other husband and wife, even if they aren't actually married yet).

quote:
Drizzt could also be asexual and have little interest in underblanket capers.

Eh, we now have proof that that is not the case. He has slept with Cattie-brie in the more recent novels, and he seems to enjoy it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 03 Apr 2009 18:03:00
Go to Top of Page

bishopssix
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  18:52:28  Show Profile  Visit bishopssix's Homepage Send bishopssix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'm just a prude then.

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  19:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, this question is really two-fold.

Of course, we all know the real reason for why it took all these years. It's because unresolved romantic tension (see http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlekmxl4p7e1yni) sells and authors are naturally reluctant to abandon such a comfortable source of drama and angst. After all, there was no guarantee readers would continue to like the series after the resolution of the major subplot.

But if we're looking for a more Realmsian/kayfabe/SoD-enabling explanation, we have to forget that there is an author and writers and that poor Bob would like to pay the rent and maybe afford some luxuries.

In that case, our explanation becomes a combination of several things. One, Drizzt and Catti-Brie were very comfortable as friends and understandably feared that they'd be less well equipped to handle anything more. Cattie-Brie had already experienced one failed love-affair that grew from friendship and she had to ask herself whether it would turn out any differently this time.

And let's not forget the inexperience of the people involved. Cattie-Brie had the one, failed relationship and Drizzt has none at all. Think back, people. How confident were you of your own ability to manage an adult relationship before you had any positive experiences in that area?

Remember also that sexual appetites, much like many other appetites, do not grow in a vacuum. A focus on something else, like, say, violence and adventure, can easily mean that sexual desire is markedly less than in other functioning adults with more typical interests. Drizzt lived as a monk, without much in the way of human contact, for pretty much a whole human lifetime. It's entirely plausible that his emotions for Cattie-Brie, while clearly romantic, were by no means as urgently physical as those of a man who had a more regular sex-life.

The same argument applies to Cattie-Brie, given that she spent most of her life in a dwarven mine. She was not starved for attention or affection, but there must have been few opportunities for a sexual awakening.

Upon consumating their relationship, of course, this neglected facet of their natures is given room to grow and expand. There's no reason to assume that just because they started out with their sex drives lower in priority than most of us are used to, it would be that way forever.

There is also the aspect of Drizzt's unhealthy prior life among the drow. Males are chattels among the drow and no matter how different he was, it is a bit unrealistic to assume that he would overcome decades of indoctrination without any teething troubles. Drizzt doesn't know how to express love or desire to a woman because not only has he never done it, he had never seen it done before coming to the surface. Males expressing sexual desire to a female were showing subservience and hoping for favours. As such, Drizzt may subconsciously shy away from such displays, even though in his case they would be genuine and not calculated attempts to rise in drow hierarchy.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  08:30:22  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Drizzt met Cat in Sojourn when she was 11.)

I also recall a scene in The Halfling's Gem where Cat pulled Drizzt aside and told him that he had people who loved him, if he'd just let them in. She then remarks that it's too bad he let opportunities pass him by. There was obviously some chemistry there, on her part, for him. But Wulfgar was the one who actually showed interest for her, so he's the one that got her, at first. She settled for muscle-boy, though she probably would've preferred emo-boy, instead. Drizzt spent years playing catch-up.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  11:36:38  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

(Drizzt met Cat in Sojourn when she was 11.)

I also recall a scene in The Halfling's Gem where Cat pulled Drizzt aside and told him that he had people who loved him, if he'd just let them in. She then remarks that it's too bad he let opportunities pass him by. There was obviously some chemistry there, on her part, for him. But Wulfgar was the one who actually showed interest for her, so he's the one that got her, at first. She settled for muscle-boy, though she probably would've preferred emo-boy, instead. Drizzt spent years playing catch-up.

muscle boy for emo boy.great line.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  14:25:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good analysis, Icelander.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  15:21:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm inclined to agree. He's almost managed to single handedly rejuvenate my interest in the early Drizzt novels.

Almost.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  13:42:17  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i wont be able to watch a high school movie now with out thinking of wulfgar when i see the token brain dead jock.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  17:56:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

[quote]Originally posted by swifty

Drizzt was probably quite happy to keep polishing his scimitars during those ten years.
Polishing his scimitar...

Seriously... by the time he finally decides to give her the time of day, she is pushing forty... nearly past the age of child-bearing (although the Realms seems to be more like our current world in that regard, then our world during it's medieval period).

I personally think bringing Wulfgar back was a HUGE mistake - it ruined the whole group dynamic for me. It also is VERY bad form to bring back dead characters, because it lessens what they do (why even worry about them in a fight?)

Think about it from Wulgar's point of view - he suffers in hell, and then comes back to find his girl sleeping with his best friend? No wonder he became an alchohalic! And Drizzt has so many enemies he's like a super-hero in that regard (well... in MANY regards...); he CAN'T get involved seriously with anyone because he then puts them at risk. Then again, Cattie was already close to him, so she was already in that high-risk category.

Drizzt is better off having one-night-stands (I'm sure many ladies are Drow-curious), or going-in for booty-calls (like he does with Alustriel). Because of what and who he is, he really shouldn't be trying to form long-term attachments.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Apr 2009 16:21:28
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  15:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Drizzt is better off having one-night-stands (I'm sure many ladies are Drow-curious), or going-in for booty-calls (like he does with Alustriel). Because of what and who he is, he really shouldn't be trying to form long-term attachments.

There's no real evidence that Drizzt's relationship with Alustriel is any way sexual.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  16:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There's no real evidence that Drizzt's relationship with Alustriel is any way sexual.

Not evidence, as such, no.

On the other hand, based on the personality and history of Alustriel, one could say that it is likely that she at least made an attempt in that direction.

If Alustriel has any kind of relationship with someone, it is likely to be a sexual one. She's just that kind of Queen.

Not to mention that Cattie-Brie seemed pretty convinced that her relationship with Drizzt wasn't purely platonic.

But it's still left up to the reader. I like to think Drizzt turned her down. Others will differ.

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  16:23:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Drizzt turned her down, then he must be a closet-priestess.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  19:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

On the other hand, based on the personality and history of Alustriel, one could say that it is likely that she at least made an attempt in that direction.

I don't doubt that she's done that, but Drizzt has mentioned more than once that they are just friends, and I see no reason not to believe him.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  23:09:03  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
arnt male drow given lessons in fellacio.alustriel was probably well up for it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  00:19:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do we really need to explore that topic?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  02:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

arnt male drow given lessons in fellacio.alustriel was probably well up for it.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Do we really need to explore that topic?

Well, given that the thread topic is the long time it takes for two characters to become physically intimate, I'd say that any prior intimacies of one of them could very well be relevant.

Unless it is explicitly against the Code of Conduct to explore that, but I noticed no sign of that.

It does, however, occur to me that poor swifty appears to have fallen into a trap laid by our long ago Latin brethren. Unless drow Matron Mothers have a particular reason for prefering male sexual activity be confined to homosexual oral intercourse, it is highly unlikely that drow males are trained in fellatio.

There's a handy dandy guide to the intricacies of Roman grammar of the sexual here:

http://books.google.is/books?id=1ZPC3TqBZEQC&pg=PA54&lpg=PA54&dq=fellator irrumator&source=bl&ots=dtO5RZHmnp&sig=lyBqcyRw-kNMcWN6m3-Yoj4NgNw&hl=en&ei=rVTdSZGoOqKRjAea7emrDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2

The word swifty is looking for is 'cunnilungus'. And I'm not sure that training in it is universal among drow males, though I'm certain knowledge of it is fairly widespread.

Not that such training or lack thereof would, in my opinion, be all that important to Alustriel. Her sexual activity appears to be more of a bonding ritual and sharing of emotions than it is about the mechanics of it.

Edited by - Icelander on 09 Apr 2009 02:57:45
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  22:32:48  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
man im so naive.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000