Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 wizards.com
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  20:12:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn
I never said it was. Poor language use, etc were additional reasons for not visiting.

Fair enough--that wasn't clear to me from your post. After all, it certainly is possible to think a group of people to be "warm and wonderful" and also not too well-educated.

But, it's all cleared up. I agree with Sage that it's best to move on from the subject.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  09:50:55  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ive met some great american people.and then ive met some who thought bush was good honest man.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  10:02:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seriously, folks, we're delving into real-life nationality stereo-types and politics. It's subject-territory that's fraught with fantastic terrors.

Let's head back to the welcome and friendly regions of Realmslore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  17:21:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will do... but like racial stereo-types, it's always 'Okay' for the group in question to make fun of themselves.

I bash my country every single day... but I will fight to the death if a non-American does it.

I'm sure everyone everywhere is the same way... making us all the same deep down.

And since I posted last in this thread, most of the WotC problems have been 'ironed-out' apparently - I had trouble only once logging in since then - but they still seem laggier then usual (probably because of all the people who couldn't get on earlier suddenly all signing on at once).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Apr 2009 00:31:04
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  17:24:55  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am following the thread about WotC halts sales/downloads for PDFs since yesterday, and the forum behaves. I am not registered there and do not plan to do so, since I do not want part of *such* a community, so cannot comment on posting, but reading is OK and works.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  18:15:19  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Seriously, folks, we're delving into real-life nationality stereo-types and politics. It's subject-territory that's fraught with fantastic terrors.

apoligies sage.i havent had my medication today.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  21:23:13  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

apoligies sage.i havent had my medication today.

Me neither.
What was the question again?
Oh, Wizards.com. The forum was not my cup of tea but the articles were often useful.

Rilyetan's Retreat

Jimbob's Waterdeep Journal
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  00:20:29  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Next thing you'll tell me is history didn't begin the moment Christopher Columbus discovered America!

Don't believe that Mediterranean crap. America was discovered by Leif Eriksson

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  03:00:15  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Next thing you'll tell me is history didn't begin the moment Christopher Columbus discovered America!

Don't believe that Mediterranean crap. America was discovered by Leif Eriksson

But he lost is again. Probably while drinking. I'm always misplacing small objects while I'm drinking.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  07:17:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can we please get back to the original topic?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
742 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  09:06:08  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only use I find for the wizards.com forums is when it comes up in the occasional Google search. In my experience, most fan fora are better policed, behaved and more useful than the ones by the companies the fans are fans of in the first place. Two examples being Wizards of the Coast and Blizzard, but there are more.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  09:45:20  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir
I don't get it. What was wrong with asking about a novel on the Wizards boards?

As Nerfed said, they basically banned all discussions of novels. I seem to recall that the official reason (and I could be mistaken; it's been a while) is that some authors were tired of getting hammered about their novels. So *all* novel discussion was banned.

The "official" reason was and I quote;[Wiz_O BigSis at the time...]

"The novels department no longer wanted to contribute to the running costs of the Novel Fora."

It was so transparent an excuse, coming on the back of yet another Drizzt bashing thread, where IIRC, Elaine Cunningham waded in after somebody stared cracking jokes along the lines of "Kitty-Cheese", that I signed out of my Wizards.com account and have never signed back into it since.

I don't believe I've even browsed the fora over there for two or three years and I can honestly say I haven't regretted it once.

Edited by - BlackAce on 09 Apr 2009 09:48:15
Go to Top of Page

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  00:16:04  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until the day they officially anounced 4th Edition and switched the site layout to confusing, I used to check out the D&D homepage and the forums pretty much every day. The announcement that I would have to pay for the forums and access to the website literally expelled me instantly (Buying their books is my way of making deals with a gaming company - if I wanted to spend my money for access to a website there would be hotter alternatives in the internet... ).

Since the forums were most often quite chaotic I didn't post much there. But I sure liked the many useful articles on the D&D homepage. I saved many of them on my computer, but I'm glad the didn't delete all the good 3rd edition stuff, yet.
Go to Top of Page

SeeDiGi
Acolyte

Bermuda
34 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  04:55:50  Show Profile  Visit SeeDiGi's Homepage Send SeeDiGi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wizards website stinks. I made a topic about how I don't like how the 4e designers messed up the Forgotten Realms and the moderator Lordkrasus locked it like the next day before I could even respond to some of the posts in my own topic. Its so messed up. But luckily I found this website so I don't have to worry about biased people like that here.

Edited by - SeeDiGi on 10 Apr 2009 04:57:43
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  05:05:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reign it back just a tad SeeDiGi. First off, LK isn't a full on moderator at Wizards. He can't lock, move or edit threads, merely make recommendations to the moderators on possible problem threads. Second, if it's the thread I'm thinking it is, it was beginning to devolve into another flame war and needed to be locked since all that went on before. Third, LK's a fellow scribe here (although he hasn't posted much recently). He's a decent guy and bad-mouthing him (or other scribes) will get you nowhere fast.

Lastly, this board is edition-free. We have some discussions here regarding 4th Edition and previous editions and their merits and flaws. Some of us like 4th Edition, some of us like the previous editions, some don't even play the game. The main goal about these forums is about the Lore of the Realms. We'll gladly answer any questions about lore and try to answer rules questions, but this is not the 'anti-4E' league.

That being said, welcome to the `Keep. Pull up a chair, peruse a scroll and have fun!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  06:41:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Third, LK's a fellow scribe here (although he hasn't posted much recently). He's a decent guy and bad-mouthing him (or other scribes) will get you nowhere fast.
Indeed.

We here at Candlekeep do not, I repeat do not, condone this type of attitude. Dagnirion/Lord Karsus is a respected scribe in these halls, and a worthwhile participate on the WotC forums.

I'm sure he had every logical reason to be concerned over the progress of that particular thread. [Which, I'll add, I did have a chance to glance over recently. And my thoughts on it would very much mirror Ashe's own on the subject]

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  14:14:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Reign it back just a tad SeeDiGi. First off, LK isn't a full on moderator at Wizards. He can't lock, move or edit threads, merely make recommendations to the moderators on possible problem threads. Second, if it's the thread I'm thinking it is, it was beginning to devolve into another flame war and needed to be locked since all that went on before. Third, LK's a fellow scribe here (although he hasn't posted much recently). He's a decent guy and bad-mouthing him (or other scribes) will get you nowhere fast.

Lastly, this board is edition-free. We have some discussions here regarding 4th Edition and previous editions and their merits and flaws. Some of us like 4th Edition, some of us like the previous editions, some don't even play the game. The main goal about these forums is about the Lore of the Realms. We'll gladly answer any questions about lore and try to answer rules questions, but this is not the 'anti-4E' league.

That being said, welcome to the `Keep. Pull up a chair, peruse a scroll and have fun!

Well said Ashe, well said.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SeeDiGi
Acolyte

Bermuda
34 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  04:10:40  Show Profile  Visit SeeDiGi's Homepage Send SeeDiGi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't mean anything by it. Im steamed that my topic got locked (not anymore though). Its like if you say anything against it, people jump all over you and then the administrators lock away your discussions.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  21:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeeDiGi

I didn't mean anything by it. Im steamed that my topic got locked (not anymore though). Its like if you say anything against it, people jump all over you and then the administrators lock away your discussions.

I second everything previously said by the others, and in addition to that, if a thread gets locked (either here or on WotC), the topic starter shouldn't take it personally. It usually just means the thread get out of hand (went off-topic, turned into a flamewar) for some reason. It isn't usually any one person's fault.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

SeeDiGi
Acolyte

Bermuda
34 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  23:08:29  Show Profile  Visit SeeDiGi's Homepage Send SeeDiGi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see the administrators have a pattern of shutting down any anti-4e thread more than those pro-4e threads. There should be administrators who are pro-and-anti so the moderators don't become biased. Who shuts things down if not the visible people? That part I don't understand. The whole hierarchy I don't understand. People who claim to be in charge apparently aren't I am told.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  23:55:06  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, they've shut down an equal number of pro-4E threads. The only times they shut them down are when people are not being polite or following the rules. As far as I can tell, they have not been biased to either side.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  00:48:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeeDiGi

There should be administrators who are pro-and-anti so the moderators don't become biased.
I think that's a big mistake. If nothing else, Wizards should have Mods/Admin staff who are edition-neutral -- much like Candlekeep.

I've my own thoughts on 4e, but I don't allow them to influence my moderator conduct. I take each discussion in turn, and make judgements based on the actual posts being made, rather than falling back on my own internal opinions on 4e.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000