Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 wizards.com
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  14:44:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey!

I go commando!

And the only thing I keep in my pants is my dice bag.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

To many arguments with people, especially over Ed's material, drove me away from the Wizards boards.
Indeed. When I came back to the boards in '05 after a year's break, I distinctly recall noticing how many arguments over Ed's stuff had become apparent. Despite my best efforts, I often got drawn into a few. But my faith in whatever Ed may have said about a particular topic always got me through whatever nonsense posters could come up with to explain what they often championed as "facts" -- even when Ed's official word proved them wrong.
And yet, it is probably those same exact people that find that the 4e Realms is FINALLY worth playing.

People who apparently wanted desperately to play in the Realms, but couldn't stomache any of Ed's creations.

Just...... bizarre.

I think yesterday may have been my last day over at WotC (at least for a while). They went back to the Gleemax colors, and my mind simply can't handle the radioactive green.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  14:49:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MT, the Gleemax colors are for April 1st, you fool!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  15:40:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus you funny guy.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  16:51:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's kind of scary is two things I noted on the Fool's Grove page (perhaps the first time I've visited the Wizards site in a month; before 4E, I visited daily, at least). Both bits were in the author bios, and the boldfacing is mine.

quote:
In these depths, Logan has produced fiendish works such as Adventurer’s Vault, Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide, Draconimicon, and Arcane Power.

The Draconimicon? I'm sorry, I know typos happen (especially with letters next to each other on the keyboard), but you'd expect them to notice when they typo the name of one of their own products. And considering the other names are okay, I doubt it was deliberate.

quote:
While he waits, he has used his utter lack of imagination on Dungeon Master’s Guide, Adventurer’s Vault, Martial Power, and Monster Manual 2.

Boldfacing again mine. Now, I know this was supposed to be funny... But there are too many critics of 4E stuff that would say something like that, and be totally serious about it. So this line, which already struck me as unfunny, is just giving ammo to the many vociferous critics out there. Is that the smartest thing to do? Sure, they'll never please everyone, but that doesn't mean they have to provide material to their detractors!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Apr 2009 16:53:38
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  18:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So this line, which already struck me as unfunny, is just giving ammo to the many vociferous critics out there. Is that the smartest thing to do? Sure, they'll never please everyone, but that doesn't mean they have to provide material to their detractors!

It was just the same with this video a few months ago: meant to be funny many critics took issue with it thinking it unwise to make fun out of the 4e critics.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  18:30:29  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While he waits, he has used his utter lack of imagination on Dungeon Master’s Guide, Adventurer’s Vault, Martial Power, and Monster Manual 2

their April 1st jokes are often true

wish they announced 5e instead of that green thing
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  18:59:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have done some funny April 1st stuff in the past... But my fave April 1st joke was done by the BattleTech site, many years ago. They posted a new 200-ton(!) Mech and in the description, spoke of Clan Wolverine coming back to attack the Clan Homeworlds. I thought that would make an awesome plotline, and I loved the idea of the superheavy Mechs (I had actually come up with a similar plotline, and thought up lighter-but-still superheavy Mechs). But the Orca had a couple of things that made me suspect it was a joke, particularly the Garbeltalker communication system and the Barnstriker targeting system. (The bit about Marthe Pryde getting killed by her own jump jets was odd, but it didn't strike me as entirely unplausible.)

And then they revealed it was a joke... I wish the Jihad had been the joke, just like I wish the Sellplague (see me bring it back on topic? ) had been a joke.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  20:52:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jihad-plague: When a gaming company wants to 'shake up' an established setting to make money.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  22:02:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snippage> So this line, which already struck me as unfunny, is just giving ammo to the many vociferous critics out there.
Maybe it wasn't a joke? Maybe it was a moment of clarity instead?

I can never find their blogs, BTW... but then again I don't really hunt for them either. I'm not a big 'Blog Person' to begin with.

Their forums seem to be shut-down... I guess they were getting too many complaints about their poor senses of humor.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  22:56:35  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, dunno who actually sends these warnings and whether they are ever rescinded, but the gatling-style changes amongst the WizOs and thus different people charging people differently for the same "offences" might have to do with that. When I joined the WizBoards we had some fine debates and quarrels with the likes of WizO_BigSister, but these days ... every other day a different WizO has had his/her magic wand into this debate or that.
Always considered myself far too cynical with some of my remarks - all in good faith and aimed at helping / guiding fellow gamers though - but so far escaped any punishment (and no, reading WizOs, this ain't an invitation!). Then again, it has become somewhat strange how many references on novels are out and about there with no-one (WizO) having a look at it. Ach well ... ever since 4E took over the Realms, I only go there once or twice a week to tease Lord Karsus* and the rest of the old campaigners.

*Just joking, of course.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 01 Apr 2009 22:57:44
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  23:46:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the oldest, still active poster on the FR Boards (join date March 2001) I must say that I visit there with less frequency. No-one seems to ask any interesting questions anymore about actual realmslore and the focus appears to be on transmogrifying core elements into the 4E Realms (like archfey and celestials and Far Realms stuff et al) which has little or no interest for me.

SIDENOTE: I've always liked my own personal Realms to be self-contained in that other worlds and other planes were altered to fit what the state of play was in FR, not vice versa. Basically, I'm not a big fan of multiverse campaign worlds and if I'd ever run an FR campaign that involved planar travel, my Abyss and Seven Heavens and Limbo would be unique to the Realms, not drawn from Planescape or other core D&D products.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 01 Apr 2009 23:54:56
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  00:40:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They have done some funny April 1st stuff in the past... But my fave April 1st joke was done by the BattleTech site, many years ago. They posted a new 200-ton(!) Mech and in the description, spoke of Clan Wolverine coming back to attack the Clan Homeworlds. I thought that would make an awesome plotline, and I loved the idea of the superheavy Mechs (I had actually come up with a similar plotline, and thought up lighter-but-still superheavy Mechs).
I do remember all that.

But you want to know what's really funny? I know you don't bother with the Dark Age material, but last year, we started hearing reports of a "Colossal-class" 'Mech of around 200 tons being associated with Republic forces. Known as the Ares, the design has been confirmed as canon now.

Additionally, again, I know you don't care much for the 'Jihad' material, but Clan Wolverine ARE slowly making a return. There's even hints that they're the true power behind the Word of Blake, the Jihad, and other nefarious schemes that have occurred in the CBT [sorry, it's back to BT now, what with the 25th anniversary celebrations and all] universe.
quote:
And then they revealed it was a joke... I wish the Jihad had been the joke, just like I wish the Sellplague (see me bring it back on topic? ) had been a joke.
I maintain that the Spellplague itself -- and it's related effects -- would've made a suitable "alternate campaign or What If? scenario." It's something I would've liked to have seen put forth as a possibility, rather than canon.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  00:46:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

As the oldest, still active poster on the FR Boards (join date March 2001) I must say that I visit there with less frequency. No-one seems to ask any interesting questions anymore about actual realmslore and the focus appears to be on transmogrifying core elements into the 4E Realms (like archfey and celestials and Far Realms stuff et al) which has little or no interest for me.
Ha! I have to agree.

As another of the "oldest of the old," I feel much the same at times when visiting the WotC boards. Since the introduction of 4e, I've noticed that there's been less focus on actual Realmslore and more substance given either to speculative lore [which I really don't have much problem with] and the incorporation of elements from core that haven't really had much purchase within the Realmslore before.

That's not to say that questions about genuine Realmslore don't pop up -- as I've read through some pretty entertaining discussions lately. But they're not as common as they used to be. And that's disappointing.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Apr 2009 00:48:53
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  03:16:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right enough...

I see a lot of "Help me with a back-story for my duel-wielding Tiefling Vampire Half-dragon Swordmage".

And after being sickened by the character-concept, you then realize that the guy needs help because he is participating in an LFR game and has never read anything FR... or plans to.

I see those about three times a week lately... very disheartening.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  04:17:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

<snippage> So this line, which already struck me as unfunny, is just giving ammo to the many vociferous critics out there.
Maybe it wasn't a joke? Maybe it was a moment of clarity instead?

I can never find their blogs, BTW... but then again I don't really hunt for them either. I'm not a big 'Blog Person' to begin with.

Their forums seem to be shut-down... I guess they were getting too many complaints about their poor senses of humor.

Maybe the WotC Forums came under the April's Fools Day Cyber Attack? Glad I got banned from that silly place. The place has dried up, and dying now.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  14:54:07  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Right enough...

I see a lot of "Help me with a back-story for my duel-wielding Tiefling Vampire Half-dragon Swordmage".

And after being sickened by the character-concept, you then realize that the guy needs help because he is participating in an LFR game and has never read anything FR... or plans to.

I see those about three times a week lately... very disheartening.

That is quite unfortunate.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  21:55:02  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
While he waits, he has used his utter lack of imagination on Dungeon Master’s Guide, Adventurer’s Vault, Martial Power, and Monster Manual 2.

Boldfacing again mine. Now, I know this was supposed to be funny... But there are too many critics of 4E stuff that would say something like that, and be totally serious about it. So this line, which already struck me as unfunny, is just giving ammo to the many vociferous critics out there. Is that the smartest thing to do? Sure, they'll never please everyone, but that doesn't mean they have to provide material to their detractors!

Maybe its the fat guy calling himself fat syndrome... you know, say something bad about yourself before anyone else does. Heavy guy walks around making fun of how fat he is and all people are left with is, "Well... at least he knows."

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  22:37:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

"Well... at least he knows."

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  15:36:25  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
do the wotc boards work for you know? I don't know if I'm banned or they're down

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  17:00:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Their forums are down, as far as I can tell (I don't recall doing or saying anything ban-able within the last 48 hours... but you never know).

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  17:38:27  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is down this morning as well, and I know I did not say anything to get the boot
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  14:32:05  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they got hacked...that seems to happen a lot lately.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  16:30:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be wrong of me to find that funny?

A bunch of hacks get hacked?

I usually get VERY mad when internet thugs vandalize a site, but I find it very hard to care when bad things happen to WotC.

Edit: Anyhow, it seems to be up now.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Apr 2009 16:31:21
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  17:54:26  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

not trying to stare up trouble but before i decided to join candlekeep i looked at wizards first but its such a bitchy aggressive forum on there.im amazed the moderators let them get away with half the stuff.

It's been years since I visited the WotC forums. There are way too many threads, a lot of immature posters and it's very American, which can be off-putting at times (mostly in terms of cultural differences and time-zones).

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  05:28:56  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been years since I visited the WotC forums. There are way too many threads, a lot of immature posters and it's very American, which can be off-putting at times (mostly in terms of cultural differences and time-zones).
[/quote]

Well, I'm very American... and whilst I can't do much about the time-zones, I DO make every effort to not be off-putting

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 07 Apr 2009 05:44:31
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  12:53:24  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Well, I'm very American... and whilst I can't do much about the time-zones, I DO make every effort to not be off-putting

I'm married to an American, so I know that they're a wonderful, warm-hearted people.

However, and unfortunately there's a sort of dumbed-down Coca Colonialism attitude on the Wizards forums, which I found off-putting. As I said, it's been years since I visited and it may very well have changed, but my life is too short to be confronting my eyes with bad English, abysmal spelling, 'yo dude' and 'wassup'. I don't watch television for the same reasons.

If I want good American culture, I'll read Lovecraft, Hemingway and Mark Twain. And just to be balanced, for good English culture I'll read Dickens, Tolkien and Graves. There's a wonderful album title by Blur which sums it all up very well: 'Modern Life is Rubbish.'

I'm not a fully paid up member of the church of Consumerism, which is why I like visiting these boards. The majority of posters here read, ask and answer interesting questions.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  14:03:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coca-Colonialism?

I've found that just about anywhere where the public can say their piece on the internet, bad spelling and poor language use is going to exist. It's not specifically "American."

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Apr 2009 14:04:50
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  14:48:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed.

But I feel we should move on from this particular side-topic. It's liable to cause problems later.

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  18:21:57  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Coca-Colonialism?

The English equivalent would be jingoism, which described early 20th century Britain, whereby all the British upper classes (and by extension Britain) did was marvellous and all that Johnny Foreigner did was either amusing or calculatedly evil. It's why everyone of a certain age marched off to die in a flea-infested uniform in a large ditch in France or Belgium.

As I said the attitude I encountered on the Wizards boards was that if it happened in the States it was noteworthy and if it happened outside it wasn't important. The outsiders weren't welcomed.

As I said earlier, that may well have been because of the time-zones, People Stateside are logging on as people in Europe are logging off. So the conversation is either beginning or ending and the herd has moved on.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I've found that just about anywhere where the public can say their piece on the internet, bad spelling and poor language use is going to exist. It's not specifically "American."

I never said it was. Poor language use, etc were additional reasons for not visiting.

As I said earlier, the Americans I know are wonderful and those I've met in San Francisco, Anchorage, Boston, Minneapolis, Nashville and other cities have been good people too. But a group of people naturally form sub-groups and these sub-groups can be exclusive.

I found the same thing when I worked in The Netherlands. At lunch-time the Dutch sat together, the Germans sat together and since I was the only English person I sat on my own. That was just how things were there and were on the Wizards forums. If there is common ground, people begin to form a group about it. If that common ground is a culture then that is most likely to attract people who belong to that culture.

Threads often go off-topic or posters bring in additional information to support an argument. If that additional information requires that one be from a specific culture then it narrows the number of participants.

That's what I mean when I said "it's very American, which can be off-putting at times (mostly in terms of cultural differences and time-zones)."

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 07 Apr 2009 18:24:07
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  19:45:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a world beyond the United States?

I'll believe in Faerûn, but now you've just gone too far!

Next thing you'll tell me is history didn't begin the moment Christopher Columbus discovered America!

< @Kiaransalyn - THAT attitude, right? >

Edit: And just to stear this back somewhat - their site has been 'wonky' for the past two days. Not sure if they are doing updates, or just having problems.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Apr 2009 20:45:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000