Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  17:31:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then of course there are Alamanther and Ohland Grethgar. Oh, and the Manshoon clone.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  20:19:11  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Brenna Graycloak, Heroes' Lorebook p.23.

Having the sources sure helps alot.

EDIT. oops, I missed a page (happens alot), just realised Fillow answered that one.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Then of course there are Alamanther and Ohland Grethgar. Oh, and the Manshoon clone.

-- George Krashos

Of course...

So,
- Phaeldara,
- The Masked One,
- Thorneira Thalance,
- Evenyl Nathtalond (Evenyl Tharnian),
- Brenna Graycloak,
- Alamanther
- Ohland Grethgar,
- One of the Manshoon clones

If I'm right one still misses !

N.B. : Isyio of Tezzir, Lady Donya Silver were not requested according to the Simbul's clues.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 24 Jun 2009 20:19:54
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2009 :  06:03:45  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

I guessed that your insights would be needed to name Ohland Grethgar, the former Magister who attained that office through the Simbul's teachings (and her desire for revenge on the previous occupant of that office).

However I am disappointed that no one managed to name Alamanther earlier, despite the fairly obvious clue I planted in reference to his most famous spell. A spell I in turn assumed had made him the most famous of the above individuals in the eyes of FR players for its usefulness.

The recollection of the lost Manshoon clone caught me by surprise, as it has been a long time since there were more than three Manshoon clones noted in the lore, and after I learned that this particular clone had been written off/omitted in 3E I decided it would not have been worth investigating the lore about him further (i.e. purchasing the tome). In the absence of that lore I had always assumed she merely siphoned Zhentarim secrets from his mind and then disposed of him in short order, rather keeping him for any amiable purposes.

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow
So,
- Phaeldara,
- The Masked One,
- Thorneira Thalance,
- Evenyl Nathtalond (Evenyl Tharnian),
- Brenna Graycloak,
- Alamanther
- Ohland Grethgar,
- One of the Manshoon clones

If I'm right one still misses !

N.B. : Isyio of Tezzir, Lady Donya Silver were not requested according to the Simbul's clues.

You have managed to name seven, and George Krashos has named three more, and all of those individuals mentioned do meet the criteria of my question. While my clues specified specific individuals, they are merely clues meant to help people find a answer but not requirements of the original question.

So technically the question can be considered answered...although I suppose I should have foreseen the possibility of it being answered by multiple people.

In any event, it would have been lovely if someone had named the last two I described in my clues...given that there are only so many NPCs described on page 88 of the 4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, and only three of whom happen to be villains who dwell in Veltalar, and only two of whom happen to be spellcasters that fit the criteria and clues I had given above :)

Edited by - The Simbul on 25 Jun 2009 06:11:09
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  11:54:52  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the novel "Spellfire" there is a certain villian who was a powerful mage of the Cult of the Dragon. By what name was she known by, what was her REAL name and to whom was she a former apprentice?

"Bonus points" to anyone who can tell me how she came to be a Wearer of Purple.

PS. Spellfire was the first FR novel/material that I ever read (18yrs ago), and so began my love affair with the Realms. This particular character/villain really made an impression on me and illustrated so vividly the power of mages.

Edited by - Auzoros on 26 Jun 2009 12:06:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  15:04:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I can answer that one off the top of my head... But I don't have another question prepped, so I'll pass.

... Though I'm now realizing that there's one slight problem, here: the next question goes to either Fillow or Krash. It's the person who answered the previous question who gets to ask the next one, unless they toss it open to whoever gets there first.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Jun 2009 15:45:04
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  17:16:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I've got one of "Sage" calibre:

What is the name of the adventuring band who are suspected of possessing an Orcward Stone and where are they based?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  19:34:37  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the floor was Fillow's since he answered the Simbul's question.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  21:23:37  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hop hop hop ! (as we say in France)
Hup hup hup !
Too many askers (does this word exist?), too many questions and "handovers"
So,
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

... Though I'm now realizing that there's one slight problem, here: the next question goes to either Fillow or Krash. It's the person who answered the previous question who gets to ask the next one, unless they toss it open to whoever gets there first.

I really do not mind if another scribe ask the next question.

And I even prefer !
I'm not a good question finder !
quote:

What is the name of the adventuring band who are suspected of possessing an Orcward Stone and where are they based?

-- George Krashos

No probs if the floor is George's but which one is the current question?
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I thought the floor was Fillow's since he answered the Simbul's question.

That's very nice from you Kilvan but I let the floor to the newbies and younger scribes !
I'm joking George ! Every scribe knows who you are.

To conclude,
we have two questions on the desk :
Mark o Bello's one:
In the novel "Spellfire" there is a certain villian who was a powerful mage of the Cult of the Dragon. By what name was she known by, what was her REAL name and to whom was she a former apprentice?
and George's one :

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 26 Jun 2009 21:33:55
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  21:32:33  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I propose to try to answer this one :

Could she be the Shadowsil? Symgharyl Maruel, instructed by Elminster.

So, if I'm right, the current question is George's one :

I try to wait five days to look for the answer...

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2009 :  01:16:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Bah! I know the answer to this one:-

"The Black Shadow Band, Tethyamar Mountains" -- pg. 81 FR13 Anauroch.

Try harder George!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2009 :  04:31:43  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My aplogies...I was not aware of the game rules. Fillow is right.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2009 :  05:33:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark o Bello

My aplogies...I was not aware of the game rules. Fillow is right.

No worries.

As a side note, though... I believe Elminster referred to her as Lansharra, as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2009 :  19:19:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct. More of her is said in the Knights trilogy, and she just might be mentioned in something not yet published, of which I dare not say more. Yet.
I promised to share with The Simbul (and us all) my list of The Simbul's apprentices, and so as not to clutter this thread - - the challenges having moved on - - have just posted it on page 75 of this year's Questions for Ed Greenwood thread in the Chamber of Sages (being as Ed sent me a BIGGER list, when I queried him as to how much I could reveal).
So I direct interested scribes there.
And to The Simbul: thanks for the posing that question. I sent Ed all the guesses and searches posts, and he enjoyed them immensely. Thanks!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2009 :  21:08:07  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How hefty brawny is our Sage !
oh oh !... The floor is Sage's... I'm afraid of waiting few long days for the next question...

I know : instead of criticizing our beloved mod, I should update the Q&A thread !
tomorrow, I will. I promise !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2009 :  01:42:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as is our practice, I'll await George's official confirmation before plotting out my next question.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2009 :  04:46:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How hefty brawny is our Sage !
oh oh !... The floor is Sage's... I'm afraid of waiting few long days for the next question...

I know : instead of criticizing our beloved mod, I should update the Q&A thread !
tomorrow, I will. I promise !

You should have plenty of time to update that thread then.

Maybe even do something about Global Warming... perhaps World Peace while your at it...

That should still leave you enough time to catch the 2012 Olympics...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2009 :  04:57:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well, as is our practice, I'll await George's official confirmation before plotting out my next question.

As if you needed confirmation.

The floor is yours, my western friend.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2009 :  05:25:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You should have plenty of time to update that thread then.

Maybe even do something about Global Warming... perhaps World Peace while your at it...

That should still leave you enough time to catch the 2012 Olympics...

Careful Markus. For my next question, I may just try and find something to stump you!
quote:

As if you needed confirmation.
I know. But I'm feeling particularly polite today.
quote:
The floor is yours, my western friend.
Aye. I'm just not sure whether I want to go for some particularly obscure, or just relatively difficult.

Hmmm.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  21:00:23  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ahem...

Just to say that tha Q&A thread has been updated and...

to ask our respected Sage if he had time to look for a hard question and...

if he knew when Alaundo would insert the last Ed replies pdf within the wesite (Do you remember that dear Sage? ) and...

that's all !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  01:06:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ahem...

I'll get to it today.
quote:
if he knew when Alaundo would insert the last Ed replies pdf within the wesite (Do you remember that dear Sage? ) and...
I still haven't heard back from Alaundo on this. I'll contact him again today.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  03:41:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

ahem...

I'll get to it today.

So, shall we start a pool on when the question will actually appear? I'm taking September 16th of next year.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  08:05:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, shall we start a pool on when the question will actually appear? I'm taking September 16th of next year.
Longer than a year? Hmmm.

Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  08:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Rather, I bet Sage is throwing together one humdinger of a challenge, like "Name and identify the last ten NON-human females Elminster has seduced" or "Please name the last seven times Storm Silverhand HASN'T done something motherly or compassionate to another person, while completely ignoring her own dignity/well-being"

Edited by - Aysen on 01 Jul 2009 08:24:35
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  14:26:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

quote:

quote:

Rather, I bet Sage is throwing together one humdinger of a challenge, like "Name and identify the last ten NON-human females Elminster has seduced" or "Please name the last seven times Storm Silverhand HASN'T done something motherly or compassionate to another person, while completely ignoring her own dignity/well-being"

That first question can't be answered -- the list changes every five minutes!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  15:28:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

if he knew when Alaundo would insert the last Ed replies pdf within the wesite (Do you remember that dear Sage?
Not that this is the proper thread for this, but since it's been brought up... is Alaundo updating ANYTHING any more?

I was under the assumption that nothing new was going to be added until the Fansite policy came out.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  16:12:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

if he knew when Alaundo would insert the last Ed replies pdf within the wesite (Do you remember that dear Sage?
Not that this is the proper thread for this, but since it's been brought up... is Alaundo updating ANYTHING any more?

I was under the assumption that nothing new was going to be added until the Fansite policy came out.

Ed's replies are still largely within the realm of content that can be uploaded and stored at Candlekeep. Alaundo's just busy for the most part, which is partly why the new '08 files haven't been uploaded yet.

As for the rest, I do recall Big Al suggesting some time ago that uploading future fan-based content would probably have to wait for the fansite policy. But the other actual updates, that include novel releases and new articles/features at Wizards, are still largely applicable for Candlekeep to upload.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  02:47:43  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem... Any chance we get the next question soon dear Sage?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  03:01:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry. I forgot all about it.

Some time today. Promise.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  05:52:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Shall I count the times you've made me the same promise?

Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  09:40:59  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Shall I count the times you've made me the same promise?

Perhaps it's a "pie-crust promises" - easily made, easily broken, oft-times flaky?

Perhaps we can prevail on Lady Hooded One for some inventive encouragement, or will that only delay matters further?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000