Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  14:47:40  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

Lord Master Most Hidden Jalaunther Ithbreeiur, from Telflamm.

From the book: Faiths & Avatars

Correct! The floor is yours Edappel
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  15:36:08  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kilvan.

I think this is an easy one too:

What's the name of the race that destroyed two important empires of Faerūn? (in a lapse of more than 30 thousand years)

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  15:52:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling you're referring to the Phaerimm, but I don't think they destroyed the Sarrukh. AFAIK, both the Sarrukh and the Imaskari were able to 'deal with' their Phaerimm infestations.

And technically, Karsus destroyed Netheril.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  15:53:00  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Kilvan.

What's the name of the race that destroyed two important empires of Faerūn? (in a lapse of more than 30 thousand years)

There is a rule preventing me from answering since I got the last one, right?

Edit: Oh, Markus beat me by less than a minute. I do think he is refering to the Phaerimms

Edited by - Kilvan on 18 Jun 2009 15:54:41
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  15:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Kilvan.

The Phaerimm. (Grand History 8 and, say, 47.)

If that's right, name Rathur and Ulla Thentraver's son.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  15:54:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I beat both of ya' to the punch.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  15:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I think I beat both of ya' to the punch.

True, but mine has sources and a question.
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  15:56:46  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My god, I should have made a question more difficult..

Well Markus, GHotR says that they destroyed it. Now I don't know if I should give the floor to Markus or Arivia.. LoL.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  19:22:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't think it was the right answer (for reasons mentioned), and I don't have a question ready, and I only beat the other two by a mere 25 seconds...

I cede the floor to Ariva.

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  20:42:14  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Ariva.. The floor is all yours..

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  22:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same question as before, for anyone who missed it: Name Rathur and Ulla Thentraver's son.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  23:48:57  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rathan Thentraver, FRC 1rst ed. a cleric of Tymora

Edit: p.29, sorry

Edited by - Kilvan on 18 Jun 2009 23:49:34
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  23:56:09  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I'm right, here's the next question. Where can one of the greatest stores of psionic knowledge in all Faerun be found (beyond the reach of mind flayers)?
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  00:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct.
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  05:55:36  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

If I'm right, here's the next question. Where can one of the greatest stores of psionic knowledge in all Faerun be found (beyond the reach of mind flayers)?

The Hall of Kaliesh'erai in Evereska.
Player's Guide to Faerūn page 172
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  05:59:53  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correction: I should have said, The Hall of the Kaliesh'erai in Evereska.

Although I know I am correct, I will wait for the questioner to confirm my answer out of courtesy, and to grant myself a few extra moments to decide on my question.

Edited by - The Simbul on 19 Jun 2009 06:02:28
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  07:06:10  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually the need for sleep enspells me, thus I will be forced preempt a confirmation of my answer and present my question forthwith:

Throughout her reign as the Witch-Queen of Aglarond, many mages studied the Art as apprentices of the Simbul, or had their knowledge of it greatly enhanced by her teachings or their relationships with her. Some were taught directly by her; others by her apprentices or through the line of "magical descendants" who carried on her teachings after her apparent death; and others she had taken as consorts who later perished despite the sharing of their Art.

Q: What are the names of at least nine such individual mages, whom are specifically named in the lore?

Notes, Caveats, and Guidelines:
1) I require only their common names or individual titles as used in the sources.
2) In one instance such a mage has a different surname in different editions, however this does not count as two separate individuals.
3) In one source a typographical error separated a single character’s first name and their surname in a list, though other sources reinforce that it is in fact a single individual.
4) EDIT It is recommended that you cite the source that indicates or implies that they were apprentices of the Simbul or were mages with a strong connection to her. A mage living in Aglarond must have a connection to her other than simply being one of her subjects.
5) EDIT Characters who simply used her synostodweomer or other named spells in 1E/2E/3E do not count for purposes of this question, unless some other personal amiable connection to her existed.
6) the capitalized term "Art" is used in the Faerūnian definition of the word--specifically meaning arcane magic.

EDIT: I relaxed the wording of the question and expanded its preamble to be more inclusive. I also altered and omitted some of the caveats/guidelines to make them less restrictive and to accommodate the fact that ONE of the characters I had originally intended was not referred to as an actual "apprentice" of hers in the published lore, but did have another equally important connection to her in those sources.

Edited by - The Simbul on 19 Jun 2009 16:00:33
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  11:28:14  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And of course, you are correct
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  15:53:30  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EDIT (see above): I relaxed the wording of the question and expanded its preamble to be more inclusive. I also altered and omitted some of the caveats/guidelines to make them less restrictive and to accommodate the fact that ONE of the characters I had originally intended was not referred to as an actual "apprentice" of hers in the published lore, but did have another equally important connection to her in those sources.

Edited by - The Simbul on 19 Jun 2009 15:57:13
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2009 :  16:30:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.
I have (from Ed's notes) over twenty apprentices of The Simbul in my records, but I can't recall which ones have made it into published lore yet. Or which scenes got edited out of ELMINSTER IN HELL, for that matter.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2009 :  16:50:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just out of curiousity, are all nine mentioned in one place?

Because if not, I think thats actually nine seperate questions...

Anyhow, this is well outside of my area of expertise, so I'll just wait for folks like Sage and GK to try and tackle it.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jun 2009 16:51:24
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  06:11:27  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say I am fairly surprised to not see an answer yet—or at least a partial attempt. Of all the questions I was pondering I felt this ones would have been the easiest, at least with regard to naming most of the persons who fit that description.

I purposely wanted to give a question that would require lore from more than one edition of the setting, including the most recent one. I likewise wished it to require more than a google search or a brief consultation of one single likely source to reveal the answer. Therefore they are not all listed in the same place.

Nevertheless if these clues do not suffice to illuminate the lore I seek in a fair stretch of time, then I will concede to instead ask the identify of one very specific individual among those I have described...but rest assured it will the most esoteric and unknown of them all.

CLUES

* One was slain in duel with Red Wizards, and presumably did not return the favor, though in life he was well known for doing so.

* One of them helped to slay a Zulkir of Thay--with the aid of one adventurer who took the shape of beasts half the time, and another whom was half a beast all of the time.

* One of them often adorned her purple hair with spell storing gems, and would gird herself with many subtle spells and enchantments that even a future Grand Mage of Myth Drannor had conceded in thought that he would have been hard pressed to match.

* One of them kept her name almost as secret as her mentor, and was known to transform trespassers into common household items. Her title took on another more figurative meaning, as her character classes divided across editions, and that for which she is named was also a tool of her "newfound" trade.

* One of them was often called the "small fury" of Aglarond, and dallied with the captain of the palace guard. Like all of the Simbul's handmaidens, she was ever a thorn in the side of Thay.

* One was regarded as a motherly figure, and was often abroad on dangerous missions for the realm.

* One of them was to aid the Simbul, to be used as her tool in defiance of Mystra's will, and in doing so attained a status from which even the Witch-Queen could not challenge him.

* One of them can take many shapes, much like the former Queen of the realm she now shares rule of. Though she often appears as a dark haired elf, her true form would become little more than a corpse in short order if her peers ever learned the truth.

* One of them secretly gives aids to bears of stone, yet openly refused to aid brothers of the griffon. Though he calls the terror of the East 'senile', it is he whose actions in Ches of the past year that were the most foolish.

Lastly, to The Hooded One: I do not think Ed Greenwood is the creator of all these characters, though he certainly is the originator of at least six of them. He may in fact still be the creator of the other three I intended as well, such as through notes given to other authors and designers, but as far as I can tell those three have not appeared in any work that is entirely his own.
EDIT: I also would certainly be much obliged if you could share with us the names of those twenty apprentices once this question is concluded (or conceded), that is assuming of course you and/or Ed are free to do so in such a medium or would in fact wish to.

Edited by - The Simbul on 21 Jun 2009 06:27:18
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  23:26:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lady, if Ed saith it's all right (presumably after a scan of his NDAs), I'll be happy to do so. And I'll certainly check with him and reveal what I can of the genesis of the nine characters, by all means.
Thus is the Realms made richer for us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  05:23:11  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that I found four of them this morning : Evenyl Nathtalond, Phaeldara, The Masked One and Thorneira Thalance (from the Unapprochable East sourcebook).
I've no time to look for other ones cause I've to go to work !

May these first one help another scribe or see you in 13 hours !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 23 Jun 2009 05:23:43
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  08:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
one more : Isyio from Teziir. (PotFS sourcebook)

maybe Donya Silver, who is a wizard and a friend of the Simbul. (Spellbound campaign)

I'll be back...

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 23 Jun 2009 09:02:23
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  05:07:15  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I commend Fillow for actually naming an apprentice of the Simbul that I was NOT aware of...I suppose I should have checked the previous trivia contest questions first. Alas that swashbuckling pirates were never my cup of tea and thus I never perused said tome, and thus never became away of Isyio of Teziir.

With regard to Lady Donya Silver: when I opened up the question criteria to include mages with a ‘relationship’ to the Simbul rather than specifically her "apprentices", I quickly realized that the matriarch of the Silver family would fall into that definition. Although I intended the term “relationship” to refer primarily to lovers or consorts, I decided not to go back and edit the wording yet again..primarily to keep the possible field of answers more open.

I will accept both Isyio and Donya Silver as substitutes for any two of the other nine I originally intended as answers, as they both meet the criteria I gave. In fact I suppose if no one else can name all nine then I might just concede the floor to you simply for the lore of Isyio alone.

A few CLUES and some things noting/repeating:

-For purposes of this question, having a close relationship with the Simbul is a substitute for being referred to as an "apprentice", though this change in my original intent is largely due to one particular intended mage having been referred to only as a consort in the published lore, though I had always assumed he had been an apprentice as well.

-While some are named in several sources, few of those sources actually describe or unequivocally imply an apprenticeship or relationship with the Simbul. At the absolute minimum, the following sources would need to be consulted to learn the names of those nine I have described:

Heroes Lorebook (2E)
Secrets of the Magister (2E)
Unapproachable East (3E)
Magic of Faerūn (3E)
The Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide (4E)
The Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide (4E—to define of a term/title tied to the question)

Descriptions and Declared Answers

* One of them was slain in duel with Red Wizards, and presumably did not return the favor, though in life he was well known for doing so.

* One of them helped to slay a Zulkir of Thay--with the aid of one adventurer who took the shape of beasts half the time, and another whom was half a beast all of the time.

* Phaeldara often adorned her purple hair with spell storing gems, and would gird herself with many subtle spells and enchantments that even a future Grand Mage of Myth Drannor had conceded in thought that he would have been hard pressed to match.

* The Masked One kept her name almost as secret as her mentor, and was known to transform trespassers into common household items. Her title took on another more figurative meaning, as her character classes divided across editions, and that for which she is named was also a tool of her "newfound" trade.

* Thorneira Thalance was often called the "small fury" of Aglarond, and dallied with the captain of the palace guard. Like all of the Simbul's handmaidens, she was ever a thorn in the side of Thay.

* Evenyl Nathtalond (formerly Evenyl Tharnian) was regarded as a motherly figure, and was often abroad on dangerous missions for the realm.

* One of them was to aid the Simbul, to be used as her tool in defiance of Mystra's will, and in doing so attained a status from which even the Witch-Queen could not challenge him.

* One of them can take many shapes, much like the former Queen of the realm she now shares rule of. Though she often appears as a dark haired elf, her true form would become little more than a corpse in short order if her peers ever learned the truth.

* One of them secretly gives aids to bears of stone, yet openly refused to aid brothers of the griffon. Though he calls the terror of the East 'senile', it is he whose actions in Ches of the past year that were the most foolish.

Additional mages not initially intended but which meet the criteria, and which I would accept (courteousy of Fillow):

* Isyio of Tezzir at one time studied under the Simbul, but a number of incidents in which he was involved embarrassed her, and she sent him away "until he grew up." (Description paraphrased from earlier in this thread, as I do not have the original source).

* Lady Donya Silver is the matriarch of the half-elven Silver family in Velprintalar, a good friend of the Simbul, and an accomplished sorceress.

Edited by - The Simbul on 24 Jun 2009 05:15:38
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  05:29:14  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot The Simbul but the floor is still yours ! We did not find these *¤+@|~ apprentices !
What you said is that at least 5 of them miss ! We'll find them !

you quoted the 4E sourcebooks as sources to consult to get the name of an (or several) of them? I read them and found no one !

I go back to my shelves.... (but I first go to work !! )

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  05:31:12  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note that in the preamble to my question I said that:

"Some were taught directly by her; others by her apprentices or through the line of "magical descendants" who carried on her teachings after her apparent death; and others she had taken as consorts who later perished despite the sharing of their Art."

The second category above can include mages who were (likely) the apprentices of her apprentices...specifically since they belong to a special organization of mages devoted to carrying on the Simbul's teachings after she "perished".

Edited by - The Simbul on 24 Jun 2009 05:37:16
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  07:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Simbul. I understand what you mean. I know the organisation you quote. But I found no name of one of these wizards yet. I've to read it again.

But I found Brenna Graycloak in the Heroes lorebook !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  16:01:25  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brenna Graycloak, Heroes' Lorebook p.23.

Having the sources sure helps alot.

EDIT. oops, I missed a page (happens alot), just realised Fillow answered that one.

Edited by - Kilvan on 24 Jun 2009 16:03:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000