Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  17:04:32  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone: How about guessing Erik Scott de Bie's title references (when Kalen enters a book shop in Waterdeep in the Downshadow novel)in this thread in the book club:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12375

This will be fun!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  17:49:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Whatever the source of the answer is, I'd like that either the answerer or the questioner gives the source of the lore.
By this way, I could add the source in the Q&A thread, the one you all read before asking in this thread...

Indeed, it could be useful for any scribe who would like to go further about such a topic.

I thought that was already in the rules.

When you give the answer, you also have to provide the source (unless the person happened to know off the top of their head, in which case the questioner may be gracious enough to provide source details).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jun 2009 17:51:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  18:05:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's recommended that the source of the lore be named, but it's not a requirement.

Does anyone actually know the answer to the existing question? It's beginning to look like there's less 4E FR fans than I thought...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  18:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

... I'd like that either the answerer or the questioner gives the source of the lore.
I thought that was already in the rules.

When you give the answer, you also have to provide the source

It is in the rules Mark !
But have you ever seen a location where everyone respects all the rules?...

quote:

unless the person happened to know off the top of their head

What does this expression mean ? : "unless if the person know the answer by himself, from his mind " ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  18:22:08  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Does anyone actually know the answer to the existing question? It's beginning to look like there's less 4E FR fans than I thought...

There are 4E FR fans Wooly (at least one !) but I do not have enough money to buy and enough time to read everything that have been released.

And the source of this question is one of those that I've not read yet !

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  19:00:03  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(link removed by moderator; see edappel's next post)

Well, this website (a review to fanger crown) says that Evonne died at the Winter Palace, in the middle of an unnatural mist.

Is it enough? Looks like the year was 1469, ten years before the main story of The Fanged Crown, obviously, at Chult.

Mod edit: Since that horribly big link was hosed, could not be made pretty, and was reposted, anyway, I decided to remove it -- it was stretching the page.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Jun 2009 00:20:29
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  19:05:53  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a... strange link !... which does not work Edappel.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  19:09:42  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well.. So get to this one: honkin' big link
and click at "translate this page" (for those who can't speak in german)

Mod edit: Made that link pretty.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Jun 2009 00:17:20
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  20:40:14  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, Evonne's not dead, at least not at the end of The Fanged Crown. There's another hint for you.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  21:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

There's another hint for you.

Where is it Christopher ?
I hope that the answer is findable elsewhere that in the novel. Otherwise I feel you will remain the only one to know it !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  21:58:10  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, that's the only place that bit of lore is available. And it's in the last chapter.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  02:13:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess a quick trip to the bookstore and a flip through the novel is in order.

How old is this novel, anyway? Maybe, whether 4e lore or not, there should be some type of "at least a year old" rule in place? If a novel is a new release, then most-likely many will have not read it, and in some areas it may not even be available.

We obviously don't have to worry about that with sourcebooks anymore <sigh>, but I forget what we decided about DDi material.. do enough people here subscribe to make questions from there viable?

quote:

quote:

unless the person happened to know off the top of their head

What does this expression mean ? : "unless if the person know the answer by himself, from his mind " ?

Exactly.

It means you just knew it, but you have no idea where you know it from.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  03:21:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We obviously don't have to worry about that with sourcebooks anymore <sigh>, but I forget what we decided about DDi material.. do enough people here subscribe to make questions from there viable?

The DDI is still ruled out, but I'm not entirely comfortable that ruling. If enough people subscribe to it and are willing to use it, I'll toss out that restriction. I leave it in place, though, because there seems little interest in the DDI and I've not been impressed with its content.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  04:25:47  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I know Sage and I are subscribers. And I've been impressed with the content, especially Ed's stuff. And of course I'm really looking forward to Brian's Moonshaes piece.

Jenna's book, which I highly recommend to any fan of adventure fantasy in general and to fans of the Realms in particular, was released about six months ago, on January 6th.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 04 Jun 2009 04:26:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  05:35:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The DDI is still ruled out, but I'm not entirely comfortable that ruling. If enough people subscribe to it and are willing to use it, I'll toss out that restriction. I leave it in place, though, because there seems little interest in the DDI and I've not been impressed with its content.

Aye.

Though it's worth pointing out, now, that there's a considerable amount of archived FR material from the online DRAGON issues which could, conceivably, make for a convenient source for 4e Realms questions.

I appreciate that the number of subscribers is still low. But we shouldn't also discount the worthwhile pieces of Ed/Brian-lore [and the occasional Cordell-tidbit] that have popped up in previous articles. There's the possibility for some intriguing questions from that stuff.

Anyways, maybe we should bring this point up again for consideration toward the end of this year. There may, at that point, be enough DDI subscribers here at Candlekeep to fully justify the inclusion of online DRAGON/DUNGEON FR content.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  07:02:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Anyways, maybe we should bring this point up again for consideration toward the end of this year. There may, at that point, be enough DDI subscribers here at Candlekeep to fully justify the inclusion of online DRAGON/DUNGEON FR content.

Fair enough.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  15:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem...
What about this lovely Evonne Linden?...

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  16:12:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we need another hint... I mean, I know we know where the info can be found, but either that book is not yet widely read or the people who have read it haven't been looking here. I'd recommend a hint on this unknown location itself, rather than where we the question came from.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Jun 2009 16:38:18
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  16:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christopher?
Say something please !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  17:08:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd recommend patience, Fillow. Christopher is likely busy with non-Candlekeep related duties for the moment.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  20:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What could be more captivating than CK?
Work? Family?... Jail?
Writing a new fantasy novel?

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  13:36:12  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

Patience is indeed a virtue, Wise One. However, after a week without an answer to the pending question...

I'm quite agreeing...

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  14:55:44  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry folks, as I mentioned I was in the New Mexico mountains with spotty internet access (and am now home only briefly before heading to the North Carolina mountains--and spotty internet access!) Just woke up from a recover rest after yesterdays fourteen hour travel saga, but will look through the thread here after tea and oatmeal. Don't know how much better a hint than "it's in this book, in this chapter!" I can give, but I'll see what folks have been talking about and be back soon.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  15:09:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't know how much better a hint than "it's in this book, in this chapter!" I can give, but I'll see what folks have been talking about and be back soon.

Well, as I say, perhaps a hint as to the location you're looking for would be good.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Jun 2009 15:10:09
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  16:16:27  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, the name of this location (a nobleman's estate in Tethyr) doesn't appear anywhere else in the lore outside The Fanged Crown. So I'm not sure how to provide a hint (especially one that doesn't spoil the revelations in the novel, which in many ways have the most significant impact on the political world of Faerūn of any of the recent books).

Do y'all want to just throw in the towel and have me come up with another question? I think the last time I got to ask I used something from Dragon #32. Guess it might work better to come down someplace in the middle.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  17:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Allright. But do not forget to give us the answer of the previous one !

quote:
originally quoted from Christopher
Guess it might work better to come down someplace in the middle.

in the middle of what...

And thanks. Indeed, thanks to you I've learnt the expression "to throw in the towel" (litteraly : "to throw the sponge" in French language)

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 08 Jun 2009 17:26:35
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  20:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

in the middle of what...

Sorry Fillow! You make me realize how heavily I lean on idiom and shorthand, sometimes!

I just mean that next time I'll pick a question from lore that was published sometime between Dragon #32 (December 1979) and The Fanged Crown (January 2009). Seems like most folks around here are most comfortable with 3.0/3.5 stuff, and there's a ton of that in my "to be read" pile anyway.

As for the question on the table, I guess I'll wait for a ruling from a moderator.

Cheers,

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  20:16:42  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry Fillow! You make me realize how heavily I lean on idiom and shorthand, sometimes!

You don't have to Christopher.
That's the best way for me to learn English idioms, expressions and sometimes slang ! The more you write normally, the more I learn !
So I have to thank all of you for that !

quote:

I just mean that next time I'll pick a question from lore that was published sometime between Dragon #32 (December 1979) and The Fanged Crown (January 2009). Seems like most folks around here are most comfortable with 3.0/3.5 stuff, and there's a ton of that in my "to be read" pile anyway.

I'm so sorry for that.
I'd like to be a credible defender of the post-spellplague Realms and once there is a question about it, I'm not able to answer !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  20:43:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

in the middle of what...

As for the question on the table, I guess I'll wait for a ruling from a moderator.

Cheers,

I hate to retire a question, but the fact that we've not had an answer despite having the exact location of the lore given to us is something that can't be ignored. We can give it another day or two if you'd like, but I think we may have to have a different question. If this question does go unanswered, I do hope you'll still provide the answer for us.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  20:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hate to retire a question, but the fact that we've not had an answer despite having the exact location of the lore given to us is something that can't be ignored. We can give it another day or two if you'd like, but I think we may have to have a different question. If this question does go unanswered, I do hope you'll still provide the answer for us.

Fair enough. If nobody gets it, will I get to ask the next one too?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000