Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  21:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Allright.
Thanks Ed.

Before they came into conflict with Nar tribes, how did the inhabitants of Lethyr stop the southward expansion of Great Glacier ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  21:56:57  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow
[br}
Before they came into conflict with Nar tribes, how did the inhabitants of Lethyr stop the southward expansion of Great Glacier ?

Those were the elves of Lethyr, right? And they used High Magic. I'm getting this from the entry at -2465 DR in The Grand History of the Realms.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  05:23:19  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right Chirstopher

the floor is yours...

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  13:55:04  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Right Chirstopher

the floor is yours...

Thanks, Fillow!

What are the last known whereabouts of the Tethyrian wizard noble, Evonne Linden?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  14:48:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! Nice one.

I've a funny feeling that one scribe in particular will immediately know the answer to this question.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  15:13:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh. I know where to read about that NPC (and I knew Chris would go there), but I'm not finding her specific location.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  19:38:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't even ring a bell for me.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  20:04:36  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's more than one source for lore on this particular lady, Wooly!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  21:18:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

There's more than one source for lore on this particular lady, Wooly!

I'll take your word for it, I guess. I've looked in all the stuff I have access to, and I can only find the one reference.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  21:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DO not smile but the more difficult for me in the question was to understand what "whereabouts" means !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  21:32:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What are the last known whereabouts of the Tethyrian wizard noble, Evonne Linden?
Tricky. <smirk>

Kelemvor's Realm?

Or wherever the dead go in 4e....

She was killed in a coordinated attack on a Tethyrian town in 1469 DR. (FRCG)

If that is correct, I have nothing ready, so if anyone else would like to go....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 May 2009 21:33:49
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  21:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Markus. There's more recent lore on Evonne than 1469, or the FRCG!

Whereabouts just means "where she was last seen or heard from," Fillow.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2009 :  03:41:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*psst* I'm sure he's referring to the recent novel The Fanged Crown.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2009 :  04:18:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A 4e novel? Well... that leaves most of us out of the loop...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2009 :  05:35:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figured it was something like that. I guess I won't be able to grab this one.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2009 :  08:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Whereabouts just means "where she was last seen or heard from," Fillow.

Yes, Christopher, thanks.
I found it but I usually use FR books to find answers and this time I had to use a dictionary in first !

About the answer, I'm neither allowed to answer yet nor up-to-date with 4E novels...

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  10:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about a hint now Christopher ?

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  21:47:01  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found somethings at the internet... May I answer without reading the book?

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  22:46:19  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not think it is needful for him to have to give a hint, given that the source itself has been suggested by Rinonalyrna. Unless of course the hint is merely to confirm or deny the accuracy of her suggestion.

Also, I think it is more than reasonable for a "4th Edition" novel to be the source of the lore in question. Specifically given that it is in print and is available to the masses, whereas other sources of lore are increasingly far more difficult to come by.

Even if 4E is a subject to which people still resolve themselves to intractable opposition, it is not an excuse in my opinion for the question to be prematurely revealed or retracted. I for one have had to endure many novels of various editions just to keep up on the areas of lore that I enjoy, both for purposes of discussions with others here and elsewhere, and for maintaining a sense of campaign lore "authenticity".

I think whomever answers the question should be required (at least by honor--as 4th edition has no geas spells or rituals yet) to read the book themselves to glean the answer (edit: see reply to The Sage below). If anything else, we can use the time to come up with our own questions on esoteric subjects that require researching, referencing, and combining sparse text found across multiple out-of-print sources from which to extrapolate the answer.

As for myself, I have the book and have no aversion to reading it, however at present I am currently reading other stories and that particular one is a bit further back on my repertoire of fantasy fiction.

Edited by - The Simbul on 02 Jun 2009 05:59:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  22:57:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I would have preferred otherwise, I specifically allowed 4E questions, so as not to exclude 4E fans.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  00:32:49  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As much as I would have preferred otherwise, I specifically allowed 4E questions, so as not to exclude 4E fans.

Swing and a miss, Wooly!

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  01:09:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

I think whomever answers the question should be required (at least by honor--as 4th edition has no geas spells or rituals yet) to read the book themselves to glean the answer.
I'm not entirely sure I agree with that. After all, searching the internet for an answer to a particular FR trivia question has been perfectly acceptable before, especially with regard to questions pertaining to DRAGON/DUNGEON content. Not every scribe has access to every issue, so it's sometimes appropriate to use such sites as the DragonDex to identify the source of a particular question in order to find the answer.

By the same principle, those without certain 4e FR novels -- either because they haven't yet purchased them, or because they may not have been released in a specific country at the time -- should still be able to participate in the game, even if they've derived their answer from searching the web.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  02:09:00  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I think whomever answers the question should be required (at least by honor--as 4th edition has no geas spells or rituals yet) to read the book themselves to glean the answer.
I'm not entirely sure I agree with that. After all, searching the internet for an answer to a particular FR trivia question has been perfectly acceptable before, especially with regard to questions pertaining to DRAGON/DUNGEON content. Not every scribe has access to every issue, so it's sometimes appropriate to use such sites as the DragonDex to identify the source of a particular question in order to find the answer.

By the same principle, those without certain 4e FR novels -- either because they haven't yet purchased them, or because they may not have been released in a specific country at the time -- should still be able to participate in the game, even if they've derived their answer from searching the web.

Which is another reason to (maybe?) keep the questions to stuff that's been in production for at least a year. I've read from Sage and other scribes from Oz that many products take up to a year to reach them- so in the interest of fairness (as well as to avoid spoilers of new materials that people haven't had a chance to read as yet), maybe the rules could be adjusted in this direction?

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  03:19:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, for me personally, I've never seen or received any RPG products [whether they be sourcebooks or novels] a year behind the scheduled release. At most, RPG releases here can sometimes be up to a month to three months behind the US release date. But that's largely it.

Alternatively, shipping to Australia can sometimes take longer. And if a particular sourcebook or novel rapidly sells out after its initial publication, it can be weeks or even months before another shipment arrives.

I don't think this would really affect the participation of certain overseas scribes when answering questions from sources recently released in the US/UK/Europe. As I said above, the web can be a worthwhile resource for those individuals who, like myself, may, at times, be a bit behind the latest releases.

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  05:54:56  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Initially after only briefly reading the opening page of the thread, I came across this:
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Suggestion?

New Rule:
8. All answers should be from your own knowledge base - checking your own references is fine, but simply looking up the answer on the web is to be discouraged.

If I was at home right now, I'd have the answer, because Wiki pointed me directly to the source.

and I assumed it was part of the challenge rules.

Therefore, that is the reason why I initially suggested that anyone answering the question should read the book rather than perform an internet search. After reviewing the contents of the thread in more detail, I have since realized that it was presumably not adopted.

At the very least, I suppose all that matters is that the searching and the answering themselves implore people to read the sources, either immediately to find an answer or as an aftereffect of inspiring curiosity.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  06:31:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was merely a suggestion on my own part, and it was discussed and I agrreed with the others here who thought otherwise.

Everyone may participate in their own way. As for me, I only 'go looking' for something if it is something I recall, but that is how I, personally, have my fun, and for each person it is different. I also enjoy looking through the books themselves, because I am always discovering new things, rather then just searching my PDF's (but thats just me, as I have said).

Any way a person can come up with the answer - it's all good.

Also - I think it may have been my comment that made you think that we weren't 'allowing' 4e lore. I was just showing my disdain over my own lack of knowledge in that area, which I share with many others here - NOT the 4e lore itself.

Lore is lore, and if we had more 4e questions, we'd all learn more about it.

Whether we want to or not is a whole 'nother story.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Jun 2009 06:34:06
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  07:52:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Initially after only briefly reading the opening page of the thread, I came across this:
quote:

Suggestion?

New Rule:
8. All answers should be from your own knowledge base - checking your own references is fine, but simply looking up the answer on the web is to be discouraged.

If I was at home right now, I'd have the answer, because Wiki pointed me directly to the source.

and I assumed it was part of the challenge rules.

Therefore, that is the reason why I initially suggested that anyone answering the question should read the book rather than perform an internet search. After reviewing the contents of the thread in more detail, I have since realized that it was presumably not adopted.

At the very least, I suppose all that matters is that the searching and the answering themselves implore people to read the sources, either immediately to find an answer or as an aftereffect of inspiring curiosity.

Ah, I see. I'd forgotten that particular discussion.

Regardless, I do believe my earlier position is still the most relevant and appropriate course, for the most part -- especially for those currently without particular sources and who want to participate. This trivia challenge was set up, after all, with the intention of trying to include just about every scribe.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  07:56:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Everyone may participate in their own way. As for me, I only 'go looking' for something if it is something I recall, but that is how I, personally, have my fun, and for each person it is different. I also enjoy looking through the books themselves, because I am always discovering new things, rather then just searching my PDF's (but thats just me, as I have said).
I agree. I've especially enjoyed the fact that some of the more obscure questions asked previously [and which I haven't immediately been able to answer], compel me to hunt through some of the oldest sources that I haven't looked at in quite a while. Often, I'll lose track of what I was searching for, or forget about the trivia challenge, and just continuing reading with my head buried in one of those archaic FR tomes. It's always rewarding to re-discover some old piece of lore that I may have forgotten.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  14:51:05  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay on the hint--I'm workshopping this week and internet access is spotty.

So, from high in the New Mexico mountains:

Yep, Rino named the source. ;)

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  19:14:51  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whatever the source of the answer is, I'd like that either the answerer or the questioner gives the source of the lore.
By this way, I could add the source in the Q&A thread, the one you all read before asking in this thread...

Indeed, it could be useful for any scribe who would like to go further about such a topic.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000