Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The fall of two empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coastiemike
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  02:34:17  Show Profile  Visit coastiemike's Homepage Send coastiemike a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How all. I am planning a game for my group and need the quick, cliff-note info for the following:

1) What was the initial event that led to the fall of the mythal around Myth Drannor? I thought I had read about a dragon escaping or having something to do with it but just can't find it again.

2) What led to the fall of Netheril? Was it when Karsus died, the magic failed and caused his giant city to fail, creating a domino effect? If not, then what was the initial event that led to the fall of Netheril?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  06:09:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The elves set the binding ritual so that the only key to freeing the infernal trio was when a "red dragon that never knew malice or greed in its heart flies over the Coronal's throne."
Page 13 of The Fall of Myth Drannor, which you can get for free from the Wizards downloads page.

Netheril fell because Karsus stripped away the power of the goddess of magic, causing all magic to fail. It wasn't a domino effect; all the cities, wherever they were, suddenly tumbled down.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Mar 2008 06:12:35
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  13:39:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always got the impression that the main reason for Myth Drannor's fall was that the different peoples of the city ceased respecting each other and stopped acting as a cohesive unit (which of course, made the city more vunerable).

I've always seen it as a morality tale of sorts (albeit one that's not fictional in the setting).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  13:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What did Myth Drannor in were three mightily pissed off demons who got out of imprisonment after a couple of decades because some wizard decided to let is good red dragon fly across a spire in the city and thus create the only circumstances under which said prison would open.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  13:49:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering, why on earth would wardens create circumstances like that to open in the prison in the first place? Seems pointless to me.

I did download that sourcebook, but I'm away from my own computer at the moment.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  14:11:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

What did Myth Drannor in were three mightily pissed off demons who got out of imprisonment after a couple of decades because some wizard decided to let is good red dragon fly across a spire in the city and thus create the only circumstances under which said prison would open.

It had been 1800 years. I doubt Saeval Ammath had a clue that what he was doing would result in the freeing of the Trio Nefarious. It's a pretty safe bet that the triggering conditions for that prison -- or even its existence! -- were known to very few people, if any at all.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  14:22:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I was wondering, why on earth would wardens create circumstances like that to open in the prison in the first place? Seems pointless to me.

I did download that sourcebook, but I'm away from my own computer at the moment.

Magically speaking, creating a prison that can never be opened is pretty tough. It's easier to create one with a triggering mechanism, and then simply set that triggering mechanism to something incredibly unlikely. It's a pretty safe bet that there aren't many red dragons "that never knew malice or greed" in their hearts around to fly around in the Realms, much less over the Coronal's throne. Since red dragons pretty much exemplify malice and greed, finding one that has never known either is slightly less difficult than finding a vegan Malarite or a caring, generous priestess of Lolth.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  17:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for explaining that, Wooly. Although, I think the examples YOU gave (ie. kind priestess of Lolth) would have been better than the one the elves actually used! I take it when the prison was created, no one was busy raising a kindly red dragon?

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Mar 2008 17:27:54
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  17:54:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Magically speaking, creating a prison that can never be opened is pretty tough. It's easier to create one with a triggering mechanism, and then simply set that triggering mechanism to something incredibly unlikely. It's a pretty safe bet that there aren't many red dragons "that never knew malice or greed" in their hearts around to fly around in the Realms, much less over the Coronal's throne. Since red dragons pretty much exemplify malice and greed, finding one that has never known either is slightly less difficult than finding a vegan Malarite or a caring, generous priestess of Lolth.

It's kinda the same deal about the elves and how they never figured that Alias would be created, thus freeing Moander. When they sealed him away from Realmspace, how did they ever know that the key would be created. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

IronAngel
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  18:02:59  Show Profile  Visit IronAngel's Homepage Send IronAngel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose the elves were short-sighted for once, and just winged a goofy trigger that they never thought would come true. Had they been genuinely concerned about making sure the trio's never released, they would have set the trigger as something like: "When a red dragon who has never known malice or greed mates with a silver dragon champion of Tiamat just above the Coronal's throne, causing their riders - a gentle priestess of Lloth and a vegan Malarite - fall from the dragons' backs and sing ancient elven hymns until they are pierced on the branches of two oak trees below."

Simply put, I guess the elves were tossing ideas around, and just picked the one that sounded the funniest. It was unlikely enough not to be analyzed further. The "real" reason, of course, is that it's a good plot hook.

Edited by - IronAngel on 11 Mar 2008 18:05:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  18:05:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for explaining that, Wooly. Although, I think the examples YOU gave (ie. kind priestess of Lolth) would have been better than the one the elves actually used! I take it when the prison was created, no one was busy raising a kindly red dragon?

Correct. Garnet and Saeval Ammath both came along much later.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  18:07:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IronAngel

I suppose the elves were short-sighted for once, and just winged a goofy trigger that they never thought would come true. Had they been genuinely concerned about making sure the trio's never released, they would have set the trigger as something like: "When a red dragon who has never known malice or greed mates with a silver dragon champion of Tiamat just above the Coronal's throne, causing their riders - a gentle priestess of Lloth and a vegan Malarite - fall from the dragons' backs and sing ancient elven hymns until they are pierced on the branches of two oak trees below."

Simply put, I guess the elves were tossing ideas around, and just picked the one that sounded the funniest. It was unlikely enough not to be analyzed further. The "real" reason, of course, is that it's a good plot hook.

I'd hardly say they weren't concerned about it. They likely thought that if something is already insanely unlkely, it doesn't need to have more conditions (which could create a weakness in the binding) added on to it.

Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  20:03:58  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'd hardly say they weren't concerned about it. They likely thought that if something is already insanely unlkely, it doesn't need to have more conditions (which could create a weakness in the binding) added on to it.

And I'd assume the more conditions you put then the harder it is to make the prison. The unlikelyhood of that particular occurrence probably made the spell quite difficult in the first place.

Also, Vegan Malarites is the best thing I've read in days, good job Wooly.
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2008 :  06:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I always got the impression that the main reason for Myth Drannor's fall was that the different peoples of the city ceased respecting each other and stopped acting as a cohesive unit (which of course, made the city more vunerable).

I most certainly agree. When the city's spirit of cooperation fell apart, then you had a war in the streets over who was the be the next Coronal, culminating in the Srinshee taking the Crownblade and departing Faerûn with it, the cohesiveness and morale were in the toilet before the trouble with fiends and the Army of Darkness ever began.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  23:12:47  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
The elves set the binding ritual so that the only key to freeing the infernal trio was when a "red dragon that never knew malice or greed in its heart flies over the Coronal's throne."
Page 13 of The Fall of Myth Drannor, which you can get for free from the Wizards downloads page.

Netheril fell because Karsus stripped away the power of the goddess of magic, causing all magic to fail. It wasn't a domino effect; all the cities, wherever they were, suddenly tumbled down.

At least two cities didn't fall, though: Shade (which went into the Plane of Shadow) and Opus (which was taken to the moon by a talking penguin). Some mythallars also survived to one degree or another.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  23:31:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Opus/Selûnarra now resides in the Gates of the Moon, Selûne's [planar] realm.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  00:15:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

quote:

At least two cities didn't fall, though: Shade (which went into the Plane of Shadow) and Opus (which was taken to the moon by a talking penguin). Some mythallars also survived to one degree or another.

And three more cities were caught by Mystra 1.0 before they hit the ground.

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  11:13:44  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...a talking penguin?!?
Where does that come from?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  11:27:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

quote:

...a talking penguin?!?
Where does that come from?

Bloom County.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  13:36:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know the character you're talking about, but is that actually in canon?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  19:25:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate those Lunar Penguins, always dancin' around on the Moon, erasing the astronauts footprints...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  20:18:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know of no references to penguins in the Realms, save for the artifact Moonpenguin of Boof.

I'm assuming his talking penguin comment was a joke; I've seen nothing to indicate that any form of bird was involved in the saving of Selunarra.

Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  20:46:18  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I know of no references to penguins in the Realms, save for the artifact Moonpenguin of Boof.

Remember though, this is information coming from a Giant Space Hamster, so he may just be misleading to keep his spot atop the D&D critter pile.

And to think, I actually got a full night of sleep...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  00:02:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There are penguins in the Realms -- they're referenced in both The Great Glacier and The Savage Frontier tomes. Ed also talked about penguins in his '04 and '05 "Spin a Yarn" tales.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  23:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm assuming his talking penguin comment was a joke; I've seen nothing to indicate that any form of bird was involved in the saving of Selunarra.

Ah, OK. It is a cute joke though.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  23:17:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

There are penguins in the Realms -- they're referenced in both The Great Glacier and The Savage Frontier tomes. Ed also talked about penguins in his '04 and '05 "Spin a Yarn" tales.

So on Toril, penguins actually live near the North Pole. I see...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  23:33:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's polar bears too!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  23:46:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

There's polar bears too!

Well, that makes sense.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000