Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Ed Greenwood books SIGNED!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Devon8822
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  02:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Devon8822's Homepage Send Devon8822 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey there, I have the set "A Band of Four" novels, by Ed Greenwood signed. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what each one is individually worth? If anyone is interested, PM quick cus they are going on ebay.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  21:50:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, to maximise your return you are better holding off and waiting for Ed to die. That would increase the value considerably. I know that's what I'm doing with my signed copy of "Swords of Dragonfire". Ed signed it for me at this GEN-CON and I was over the moon because I knew that I was sitting on a goldmine.

As for your copies now, given that I know that Ed signs thousands of books a year, I doubt they have appreciated much in value. patience is the key.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  04:17:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Ed wants everyone to know:

I'm dying. One day at a time.
Of course, if I manage to hold out much longer, I'll be like Terry Pratchett: the valuable books will be the few I HAVEN'T signed. :}

So saith Ed. Who attended an ALA National Conference and a Book Expo America at which he signed and gave away cases of two different (then-current) Band of Four titles, as well as all of literally thousands he has signed at conventions. The truly valuable books are the ones Ed augments with new paragraphs, or corrects typos in or draws sketches in, or both. I have a shelf full of those at home. Ed told me to move them to beside my woodstove, in case I ever run short of fuel, but I have thus far refused.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  07:56:26  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would you ever sell a signed copy of a book!? That's definitely a keeper!! Don't sell those, keep em! (Especially because the author probably was generous enough to sign it for you as a "fan" for free...NOT so you can make money off them.)

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  02:00:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hawkytom

Why would you ever sell a signed copy of a book!? That's definitely a keeper!! Don't sell those, keep em!

Well, that's what I'd do too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  05:28:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hawkytom

Why would you ever sell a signed copy of a book!? That's definitely a keeper!! Don't sell those, keep em! (Especially because the author probably was generous enough to sign it for you as a "fan" for free...NOT so you can make money off them.)

Indeed. I recently have had more than one author offer signed novels. I accepted one, just to have it -- the rest I took unsigned, since I'm getting the books to read them, not to memorialize them. The one book I asked to have autographed is being personalized to my screen name, which I'm sure would ruin any potential value for anyone else.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Nov 2007 05:30:06
Go to Top of Page

Devon8822
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  00:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Devon8822's Homepage Send Devon8822 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the truth is I'm not really a fan, i joined this forum for info on him. I guess If I had the time I would read them but, im not a big reader, and not a massive fantasy fan... I did used to play "Eye Of The Beholder" on my comp in the 90s, good game set in the forgotten realms. Anyways, I'd rather these books went to someone who cherishes them.

I will post the link to my ebay auction that they are selling, they are almost done a this point so, if they end with no bids contact me, and I will take some coins of the price. I have 2 listings up, read more for why, i had an unfortunate accident with 4 out of the 5 books. Anyways, check out these books, all Ed Greenwood fans!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESSOX:IT&item=230195176016&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m239.lVI

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESSOX:IT&item=230195163766&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m239.lVI
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  08:16:11  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry your books got attacked by your puppy!

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  18:29:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think most writers realize that some of the books they sign will end up on Ebay. As a matter of fact, J.A. Konrath jokes about it at booksignings. ("Wanna buy a signed book? I can make it out to 'Ebay,' if you like....")

Athletes and actors charge for autographs, but I never heard of ANY writer doing so, no matter how popular. When J.K. Rowling visited the US recently, they had to limit the number of people who could attend her signings by a ticket lottery, but I don't recall there being any charge involved. Maybe that's because the value of sports memorabilia far exceeds that of signed books--with the rare exception of, say, a first edition, leather-bound, signed copy of <i>Alice Through The Looking Glass,</i> or something of that ilk.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  18:47:35  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I think most writers realize that some of the books they sign will end up on Ebay. As a matter of fact, J.A. Konrath jokes about it at booksignings. ("Wanna buy a signed book? I can make it out to 'Ebay,' if you like....")

Athletes and actors charge for autographs, but I never heard of ANY writer doing so, no matter how popular. When J.K. Rowling visited the US recently, they had to limit the number of people who could attend her signings by a ticket lottery, but I don't recall there being any charge involved. Maybe that's because the value of sports memorabilia far exceeds that of signed books--with the rare exception of, say, a first edition, leather-bound, signed copy of <i>Alice Through The Looking Glass,</i> or something of that ilk.

When I worked at a certain nameless bookstore, the only charge they had was the cost of the new boo itself. It had to be purchsed there or at one of the branches.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000