Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GENCON 2008
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  02:35:21  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone plans to attend the subject Con?

The Living Forgotten Realms campaign is set to premiere at that convention... if this truly happens, I really, really think I want to go to this one, and seeing that I would be coming all the way from far-away Canada , I'd really like to know if some of you, fellow scribes, would be there as well... both for logistical and entertainment reasons.

Imagine the stories on this board after we come back! and we could all, collectively corner Ed into accepting a few ales/meads from us! (i.e. this would save him some time... we could even wear our Candlekeep names! )

Anyone else really excited about Living Forgotten Realms and a potential gathering of scribes at GENCON 2008???

Mod Edit: Adhesive removed.

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Aug 2008 01:53:22

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  02:42:01  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'll try to go to my first GenCon in 2008
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  03:13:58  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As always, I will be there - and the New FRCS will be a great thing to have!

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  03:37:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As has been my intention the last two years, I'm planning on it. That having been said, this year is different because in an effort to "solidify" my plans before they go haywire, I already put in for the time off from work last week (my boss looked at the request and said . . . "this is for next year?).
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  03:40:12  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really want to go next year (it will be my first Con, as well), and hopefully I'll be able to do so, even though I'll be gearing-up to begin grad school shortly thereafter.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  04:28:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been planning on going but not sure how things will fall into place. Couldn't make it this year because of a family thing.

It's a bit to far to even make a commitment about it though because I'm not sure what might change in the next six to eight months...

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Aug 2007 05:45:02
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  04:39:00  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent... so far so good! anyone else?

When can we book the top floor of that hotel under "Candlekeep Scribes & Henchmen Only"

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 26 Aug 2007 04:40:02
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  04:49:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it is, I simply don't have the luxury to plan this far ahead. With work and family committments, and numerous online responsibilities, it's difficult for me to even get one weekend free right here in my own city. To say nothing about setting aside a full week to make the trip from here to the US, attend Gen-Con, and finally head back.

Which is a real shame, because attending Gen-Con has always been something I've wanted to do, ever since I first saw an advertisement for the Con in one of the earliest issues of DRAGON. But, alas, I've just never had the opportunity.

Maybe, and I'm emphasising the maybe here, if I really dedicate myself to properly organising my time and responsibilities over the coming year, I may be able to surprise you all and make the trip. But at this present point in time, it looks highly unlikely.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Aug 2007 04:50:29
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  05:51:25  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be there. 2007 Gencon was my first and I only went Saturday as a test run to see if it would be fun. I got to meet Ed and a few of my fellow scribes from these hallowed halls (Garen Thal had a group photo of us taken with Ed, not sure if it's been posted yet). Next year I will grab a room and make a go of it. That being said I think not only would it be cool to get into the Living FR deal, but hell....why don’t we, the ones who love the Realms get together and play a session??? I'd be happy to play or DM. All we need to do is set the parameters of the game here and as time closes in finalize who will be evolved. I think if we plan ahead and enter the endeavor with an open mind we will have a blast and get to enjoy our fellow scribes in a proper game! I'd love to get some feedback on this.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 26 Aug 2007 19:12:56
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  00:01:18  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

attending Gen-Con has always been something I've wanted to do, ever since I first saw an advertisement for the Con in one of the earliest issues of DRAGON. But, alas, I've just never had the opportunity.

Well they are a bit closer to home these days:-

http://www.genconoz.com/

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  00:39:55  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! a "maybe" from Sage and a "solid yes" from Alorin!!! these answers are starting to make me want to wish I had a fast-forward button!

Alorin: A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y!

We should totally play the majority of our games together, thereby getting a true "party" feel... a few LFR modules with the same scribes would definitely rock!

Ok, that's it: I will be there too! my decision has been made. The Constal has spoken!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  01:31:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I'll try to go to my first GenCon in 2008

As will I.

I've been to several other cons, mostly comic and Sci-fi, and a couple of local gaming ones, but never Gencon.

Since I no longer have anything keeping me from going, I don't see why I won't be able to attend next year.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Aug 2007 06:09:21
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  01:40:21  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Purple Dragon Knight you take the job of getting Ed to accept to come to a dinner with the scribes of Candlekeep ?
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  03:25:39  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Purple Dragon Knight you take the job of getting Ed to accept to come to a dinner with the scribes of Candlekeep ?

I'll be more than happy to take this endevour on. I'm sure if Ed is available and able to have a few spare moments it shouldn't be too hard to get him to come.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  05:38:47  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Count me in!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  06:11:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perhaps we could find some willing damsel to draw him away from crowds, and then way-lay him?

I doubt he would be very hungry or willing to answer any of our queries, however, after being tied up in a trunk.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  17:28:56  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alorin: yes! use your +38 Diplomacy modifier to talk Ed into having lunch or supper with us. Ask him what his favorite wine is, as I can pull a duty free crossing from Canada to the US...

Brian: wow! the author of "A Grand History of the Realms" joining this humble scribes delegation? marvelous!

Markustay: bad Markustay! bad! no tying of anyone in trunks ok? (although I'm sure that if you do find a lovely lady for Ed, perhaps one that is a registered massage therapist, he would perhaps not be opposed to being tied down in other locales, such as his prestigious penthouse room... )

Edit: we're all joking, of course. In truth, it would be marvelous enough to have Ed over for supper or lunch, and it is no one's intent to pull any "surprise" on him and/or further add to his already heavily loaded schedule... no: this would be completely casual/unofficial relax time, and no one would force any Realmslore question upon him (i.e. unless he indicates he wants to chat about the Realms; otherwise, if he says he's got half an hour and no more, we'll respect that and let him eat/drink in peace! )

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 27 Aug 2007 21:44:24
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  22:03:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Afraid he'll read this, eh?

No, as much as I would like to have my own personal Ed Greenwood in a closet I have no plans to kidnap anyone in the near future.

That would remind me too much of that movie Misery, and I've never even been able to sit through that.

On the serious side, can a room full of US really just have dinner with Ed and NOT talk about the Realms? Do you really think that would actually work?

Its a fond thought indeed, but perhaps it enters a realm of fantasy even we should not traverse.

Still, it would be cool... perhaps even cooler then the time I got to sit in Picard's chair... maybe.

Gawd, I'm such a geek.

Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  01:09:59  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was I taking the Photo of the colletction of Candlekeep folks. I will be there, as always, soaking up the Lore from Eric and Steven (hope you two enjoyed the beers at Rock Bottom) and as always, Ed. We need to have a Candlekeep get together either in someone's room or at Rock Bottom or one of the other local brewers.

It is definetely that place to be if ye are a Realms afficianado.

Aaomas Balkrim aka Jeff Thetford

The only good Drow, is a dead Drow.

Aaomas Balkrim, Drow Hunter
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  01:12:43  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Perhaps we could find some willing damsel to draw him away from crowds, and then way-lay him?

I doubt he would be very hungry or willing to answer any of our queries, however, after being tied up in a trunk.

With Ed, he is always having dinner with a willing damsel. His schedule is usually so full, it is hard to get him to sit down for a few minutes. We were, actually, blessed with about an hour and a half of his time one night for drinks so it can be done. But that had a lot to do with Steven and Eric being there.

Aaomas Balkrim aka Jeff Thetford
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  04:47:38  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be there. It is easy for me since I live close by (badge and parking costs is all). But I do not get the full effect of the all night goings-on. I think I will go more than just Sat next year, also my daughter will be just old enough to tour the place on my shoulders for one of the days.

EvilKnight

Danali Index
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  15:22:20  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be at the Con in 2008, and would love the chance to get together and actually meet many of the luminaries of Candlekeep.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2007 :  05:07:17  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
count me in. I really wanted to go this year but things came up. I really want to get the Shandril Trilogy signed for my youngest daughter Shandril.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2007 :  08:07:24  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been the last four years, so I don't see any reason I'd skip 2008, though it's still too early to know what will be in almost a year. Even with as busy a schedule as he has, Ed seems to always be willing to spend time with people. The man is a big teddy bear.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  00:55:43  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to attend GenCon '08. Before I moved to Australia, attending GenCon UK was always an important event on my calendar - and something I never missed willingly. Since moving to Australia though, it's become exceedingly difficult to attend either GenCon. The distance is simply too great. Plus, part of what the Sage said above includes me as well, so free time is hardly a luxury I can afford these days.

If he's willing to make the effort though, I suppose I could as well and hopefully tag along!

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  05:14:23  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also plan on attending, along with at least one of my gaming group, who although he has no internet connection, he is every bit as much of a Realms junkie as the rest of us.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  06:22:30  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have extended the invitation to Ed via THO. Let's keep in mind this is a VERY early request and I am sure Ed has no idea what his four days at Gencon 2008 will look like at this point. I'm sure if Ed can make it he will, if not we will still forge ahead with this get together!

JET, have you posted the pic of us all yet?

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 03 Sep 2007 06:23:17
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  18:26:18  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

I have extended the invitation to Ed via THO. Let's keep in mind this is a VERY early request and I am sure Ed has no idea what his four days at Gencon 2008 will look like at this point. I'm sure if Ed can make it he will, if not we will still forge ahead with this get together!

It was Brian's (Garen Thal?)camera, I was just the "picture guy". I guess as soo as he has it downloaded, we shall see.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  00:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JEThetford

quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

It was Brian's (Garen Thal?)camera, I was just the "picture guy". I guess as soo as he has it downloaded, we shall see.
Actually, the camera belonged to George Krashos. I'd asked to borrow it as part of his seminar report--he would take the wonderful notes, and I would take pictures of the various slides that were displayed--and the Candlekeep Delegation photo is part of that batch.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  00:29:57  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many scribes were actually part of the Candlekeep Delegation?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  00:57:18  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

How many scribes were actually part of the Candlekeep Delegation?

Just under a dozen. The room was 'standing room only' and people were hanging in from the outerdoors to listen to the announcements. Those from Candlekeep were the one's asking all the questions.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000