Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Jack Vance
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  18:51:26  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If you play any old school dnd this should be of interest. Ever hear of the "Vancian magic system"?
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/05/30/Author-Jack-Vance-dies-at-home-in-Calif

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  19:06:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read his Dying Earth books for the first time a year or two ago -- my interest was due, in no small part, to wanting to see for myself what the Vancian magical system was.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  19:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jack Vance was one of the greats. I especially recommend THE DYING EARTH (for fantasy) and the DEMON PRINCES series (for SF.) But you're unlikely to go wrong reading any of his books.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2013 :  01:31:19  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RIP

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2013 :  09:17:37  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vance is my favorite writer in fantasy, or at least top 3. I also recommend what Richard Lee Byers said, tough if you're a fan of the Realms, Lyonesse is the most similar setting.

We also have demodands, grues, Vecna, and Ioun stones from Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2013 :  05:53:56  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not read the Dying Earth series *yet* but I plan on starting if only to get a feel of what the actual Vancian system of magic really is.

IIRC, the Vancian system in his Dying Earth series is markedly different from DND in terms of number of spells and the whole 8 hour rest period. Apparently the wizards of Dying Earth can simply rememorize the same spell over and over without needing to rest.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2013 :  06:57:23  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The whole 8 hour thing came along in 3rd ed. 2ed requires a set amount of minutes per spell level if you use some of the later optional books like the Player's Option series or Pages from the Mages. Also the ability to cast a large number of spells is limited in Cudgel's world to nearly immortal and invincible ancient wizards, but rarely do novels exactly reflect what happens in a game.

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2013 :  12:51:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Vance’s style is lyrical, and he describes his world like only a pro can, but . . . Well, let me stick to ellipsis this time. It’s bad manners to say something not so good about the work of someone who’s just passed away . . .

May he rest in peace.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000