Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Jack Vance

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
vorpalanvil Posted - 30 May 2013 : 18:51:26
If you play any old school dnd this should be of interest. Ever hear of the "Vancian magic system"?
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/05/30/Author-Jack-Vance-dies-at-home-in-Calif
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 04 Jun 2013 : 12:51:08

Vance’s style is lyrical, and he describes his world like only a pro can, but . . . Well, let me stick to ellipsis this time. It’s bad manners to say something not so good about the work of someone who’s just passed away . . .

May he rest in peace.
vorpalanvil Posted - 04 Jun 2013 : 06:57:23
The whole 8 hour thing came along in 3rd ed. 2ed requires a set amount of minutes per spell level if you use some of the later optional books like the Player's Option series or Pages from the Mages. Also the ability to cast a large number of spells is limited in Cudgel's world to nearly immortal and invincible ancient wizards, but rarely do novels exactly reflect what happens in a game.
Xar Zarath Posted - 04 Jun 2013 : 05:53:56
I have not read the Dying Earth series *yet* but I plan on starting if only to get a feel of what the actual Vancian system of magic really is.

IIRC, the Vancian system in his Dying Earth series is markedly different from DND in terms of number of spells and the whole 8 hour rest period. Apparently the wizards of Dying Earth can simply rememorize the same spell over and over without needing to rest.
Quale Posted - 31 May 2013 : 09:17:37
Vance is my favorite writer in fantasy, or at least top 3. I also recommend what Richard Lee Byers said, tough if you're a fan of the Realms, Lyonesse is the most similar setting.

We also have demodands, grues, Vecna, and Ioun stones from Vance.
Brimstone Posted - 31 May 2013 : 01:31:19
RIP
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 30 May 2013 : 19:48:14
Jack Vance was one of the greats. I especially recommend THE DYING EARTH (for fantasy) and the DEMON PRINCES series (for SF.) But you're unlikely to go wrong reading any of his books.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 May 2013 : 19:06:10
I read his Dying Earth books for the first time a year or two ago -- my interest was due, in no small part, to wanting to see for myself what the Vancian magical system was.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000