Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 I need a big monster.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  07:21:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Without going into needless detail: I'm planning for my PCs to go underwater for a bit, a fair distance off the Sword Coast somewhere between Baldur's Gate and Waterdeep. They'll be trying to recover a special "gold golem"* which is obliviously following a terrible order to "keep walking until it finds China".

* briefly discussed here and here.

Underwater is always a rare treat at my table, and to help keep it especially memorable (and feared) I like to pull out particularly big monsters, colossal epic Godzilla-sized stuff which makes dragons look puny. They only need to be immensely huge and hungry, lumbering mountains of hit points who are dangerous on account of their incomprehensible hugeness. Sentience is optional but not preferred. Tarrasque-style immunities, spellcasting, psionics, undeath, and other stuff of the sort is completely unwanted in this instance, too much overkill.

Reptilian Gargantua has already been done at my table.

Kraken Squid has not, but ... well, it's just boring because everybody expects the legendary kraken. Too predictable.

Leviathan doesn't interest me. Oooh, look, a really big whale! Phfft, whatever.

A mega shark has some appeal, something like a mutantly overgrown Giant Shark which can swallow entire galleys.

But what I'm really thinking is some kind of titanic jellyfish. Phosphorescent, alien, perhaps even intelligent (in a bizarre fashion), rubbery, regenerating, mile-long dangling tentacle-strands coated in paralyzing nerve toxin. Perhaps surrounded by a swarming multitude of "normal" jellies. Perhaps a personal pet of Ghaunadaur or Juiblex.

Does such a creature already exist?

[/Ayrik]

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  07:44:55  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuo-Toan Leviathan. Big evil monster size kuo-toa and have him bring some friends. :)
Go to Top of Page

Lady Swiftstrike Assassin
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  07:55:39  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool! Sounds like something the Abolethic Sovereignty would crank out!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  08:53:08  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it too evil to suggest a swarm? For example, the ruin swarm: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/ruinSwarm.htm

Nobody expects a massive swarm of tiny bitey fishes. Hard to kill, hard to defend against.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  09:09:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chain lightning would quickly make that aquarium a lot less lively.

I'm quite gung-ho over the idea of such a massive jelly being able to regenerate. Or perhaps constantly generate and spew forth swarms of lesser jellies. Rubbery thick slimy flesh makes it much more difficult to hack apart. All it needs is some decent resistances vs magical attacks and a mindless appetite to become beautifully menacing.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  09:42:39  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Chain lightning would quickly make that aquarium a lot less lively.

Dangerous to cast while underwater at close-range targets, though; the caster would risk frying themselves with their own spell. Although I guess it depends on whether or not you rule for electrical conduction in water.

quote:
I'm quite gung-ho over the idea of such a massive jelly being able to regenerate. Or perhaps constantly generate and spew forth swarms of lesser jellies. Rubbery thick slimy flesh makes it much more difficult to hack apart. All it needs is some decent resistances vs magical attacks and a mindless appetite to become beautifully menacing.

Sounds like you already have what you want, though.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  11:00:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Therise

Sounds like you already have what you want, though.
Hm, yeah.

Nothing like this already exists in D&D?

Any more ideas about such a beast?

What would it be called? It seems decentralized to me, and I'm no biologist, but surely there must be some sort of vulnerable "weak spot"? Could it deliberately displace or propel massive volumes of water? How deep would it live and swim? What would it normally eat (and in what quantity)? What other abilities or strange properties would it likely have? Are there any unconfirmed jelly traits like communication or colour-changing or whatnot which this magical jelly could possess? I'm half-tempted to let this monstrosity phase itself into/through the Ethereal, but that just might be too much.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 07 Jan 2012 11:03:59
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  11:29:20  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DM can make monsters you know, one idea though would be to use Ooze as template. For sea living, air likely would cause damage, clearly possible heat and blade might cause damage. What does it eat, organics, fish and random adventurers, perhaps dissolving them into component parts. In Realms or D&D, food not as required as Earth so I would not worry much about that, besides the seas tend to be filled with food.
As a jellyfish, it likely could flee by pulling its umbrella down force rapid, jet like proposition. Rapid speed travel based on size as they can be any size.
The sea is filled with many ores that a creature can use to indicate mood with Int 0, a natural ability. Of course if you want it smarter, it clearly will use tactics and might even have language.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  13:09:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, of course I can (and probably will) make my own monster. But I've made so many and have so many more "official" ones which have never been used, such a waste.

My question about its diet is really more a question of whether the PCs can track it by following a trail of sea-bottom corpses and husks.

My propulsion-water question should've been phrased thusly: is it "realistic" for this jelly to be able to suddenly contract/propel itself while directing an underwater gust of wind sort of effect, as an escape or general combat option (zooming a trail of paralyzing strands in front of potential attackers/food)? Although I'm a little curious about speed, jellies don't strike me as being especially fast swimmers.

I'm undecided about intelligence. I'm unsure whether it's more fearsome as a dumb beast or as a cunning adversary. Apparently biologists haven't been able to determine how brainy these things are either.

A question about the venom strands, since I haven't been stung by any since childhood. Are they "sticky"?

Thanx for your replies so far, though, they do help.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 07 Jan 2012 13:09:46
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  14:31:17  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the closest one I can think of is a teratomorph (3e MM2)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  16:27:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you could just use a berserk Zaratan.

I always had fondness for dragon Turtles as well - perhaps some sort of mutant crossbreed between the two?
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Kuo-Toan Leviathan. Big evil monster size kuo-toa and have him bring some friends.
How about a Krakentua?

I once had the odd idea that their heads were 'detachable' - that could lead to some fun surprises (but then you might just get the Kraken again, which you didn't want.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Jan 2012 16:30:35
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  17:05:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Zaratan is an excellent idea, it has tempting appeal, and every time I'm reminded of this oddball beast I want to use one, but I think it's unsuitable this time around because I want this nightmarish wet adventure to take place entirely underwater. I've already worked up in depth (hehe) underwater details which I'm unwilling to change.

The teratomorph is a fine template to form a basis for my big squishy stinging creature, with more HD bigness and some other changes of course.

I'm now left with only three questions about it ...
  • What should I name it? "Jellyfish (Gargantuan)" seems rather unoriginal. The Kraken, Leviathan, and Godzilla have unique names, I'd like something similar. The Hydromedusa?

• The Leviathan is described in the Moonshae novels as being one of the Earth Mother's special "children", a creature which serves when she calls. A Kraken prowls the Trackless Sea, another (or perhaps the same one) is frequently sighted in the waters of Zakhara, and one named Ssessimyth lives in the Sea of Fallen Stars. There may be others. In any event, it's clear that these megabeasts are all recognizable individuals, ancient, known in legends. I would hope my fearsome megajelly would have a similar reputation the PCs might research ... any suggestions?

• I expect my PCs will immediately start blasting the jelly with every destructive spell they can cast underwater. So I'm interested in "balancing" the encounter difficulty by making it resistant or immune to many such attacks. Any ideas for "realistic" immunities and reasons for having them? For example, I think it'll have some electrical resistance because it might sometimes feed on eels or other prey which use electric-charge defenses.

• [/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 07 Jan 2012 17:08:15
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  17:40:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Some kind of gargantuan crab or lobster has potential, too ...

Still liking the jellyfish.

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
    Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  20:05:14  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I briefly played in an underwater campaign in which my character had a Water Elemental companion that was vaguely jellyfish-like. It had a fluid, amorphus body that was capable of extruding pseudopods shaped like snapping shark maws, lobster claws, poisonous spines and the like. It has been awhile but I seem to remember drawing some inspiration from the Demonomicon; Dagon. There may have been some unique aquatic demons there as well.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
    Learned Scribe

Greece
    273 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  09:24:19  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    A kind of giant sea slug that uses a sunken carrack as a shell? It can cower inside its shell (like a turtle) and even try to pull the PC inside, using pseudopods?

Well kinda crazy idea (it just occured to me) for a memorable and unique monster

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
    15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  15:19:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Why does that sound so familiar?

Anyhow, I don't think there are any canon beasties that fit your requirements, so as far as your players doing research, I don't see that happening.

If you use the 'Sea Drow' (Marel), they can research them, but your in the wrong area (they are form the Moonsea). Thats the only thing I can think of that has the requirement of 'mysterious unknown', with just enough canon to wet their appetites (and still not tell them much).

But like I said, you're in the wrong sea. You might want to ask Ed about legends in the Sea of Swords, but then their research is going to lead them right to your request.

As for the Jellyfish, I would go with a hive-mind for it, in a situation similar to Illithids and their Elder Brains (but more primitive). That means if you kill the big one, the others just revert to simple animals and disperse (I'm trying to keep your group alive here - being underwater in a jellyfish swarm doesn't sound very survivable). Timeframe? The creature could be a mutation, something that resulted from the ToT or some other RSE. If it was an Avatar for a god during the ToT, the 'husk' left behind could have retained sentience of its own.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jan 2012 16:07:29
    Go to Top of Page

Varl
    Learned Scribe

USA
    284 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  20:05:28  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Crazy idea, but World of Warcraft has two massive alien beings underwater in the Vash'jir region of the world which are so massive, you adventure inside them. In one case, an entire group of naga are attempting to gain control of the being, literally from the inside out, and the quest lines are for you to stop them. One of them even has a cult of humanoids inside attempting to corrupt the entity and take control of it (for whatever nefarious reasons they have).

Perhaps something similar could be developed on Faerun. Who knows what lies in the deepest trenches of the oceans?

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
    Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
    Learned Scribe

Philippines
    129 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  08:54:59  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    WHat about Megalodons? LIke Iakhovas.

Or an underpowered Spirrax (I think it can live underwater) who lies in the ocean trying to drink all its water. I've never actually encountered any adventures that have a Spirrax on them...so I think it would be a nice treat.http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM5_Gallery/106339.jpg

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc

Edited by - creyzi4zb12 on 22 Jan 2012 08:58:39
    Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
    Master of Realmslore

USA
    1853 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  03:56:06  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    i like the jellyfish idea, and i think the aquatic ruin swarm has potential too. but in the interest of throwing more ideas out there, a primal water elemental (also from ELH) can be advanced to 288 HD, without needing to make up a new monster or even bend any rules. crazy AC, DR, SR, and saves, and up to 2304 hp before adding a Con bonus, but no special immunities. and while i totally dig the fear of trying to destroy the mother of all jellyfish, there's a whole new level of fear created by not being able to see your attacker because it looks just like the water around you. effective invisibility.

you could give the crazy thing rudimentary spellcasting... just enough that it can create an illusion of a fearsome foe, to misdirect the PCs' attacks into open water while the elemental envelops them from the other side. there's also the consideration that a water elemental can probably physically prevent the PCs from reaching the surface when their waterbreathing magic wears off (how many casters actually take metamagic feats that enable casting underwater?), use a pseudopod to strip them of masks or brush away any physical apparatus allowing them to breathe underwater, or simply push them down into an abyss (while dealing its own attacks) until the water pressure starts dealing them additional damage.

if it were me, i might go the illusion route, but make it an illusion of a boring giant whale... because it will confuse the PCs (how is that whale attacking us, from 500 feet away? but it's the only possible foe that we can see...), and because it sounds like you're not going to use the whale for any other such encounters. so this encounter will let you use the giant whale, while also making it memorable for the players in a way that an actual giant whale might not be. dunno, just thinking with my fingers.

whatever you decide to throw at them, don't forget the Paragon template (ELH). giant infusion of Badass for giant monsters.
    Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
    15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  05:05:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    You could use art for inspiration.

These Guys are pretty cool.

D&D has both crab-people and Lobster-men (I think at least one of them is in FR canon).

The Spirrax was a great idea - I dig that pic.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7969 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  05:27:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Ah, I suppose I should've mentioned that the gargantuan psionic megajelly has already been defeated by my players. Nobody died, this time, although most came terribly close. The encounter depleted them rather effectively, all of them (except one) were easily captured by the local sahaugin warlord (and his underwater beholders) and are currently learning a great deal about underwater interrogation techniques.

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2012 :  05:40:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Markustay

If you use the 'Sea Drow' (Marel), they can research them, but your in the wrong area (they are form the Moonsea). Thats the only thing I can think of that has the requirement of 'mysterious unknown', with just enough canon to wet their appetites (and still not tell them much).
    The Marel could still be a possibility. They're said to have a portal to the Plane of Water in the ruins of Northkeep which they've claimed as their territory.

You could simply swing it that the Marel have established a second portal back to the Realms, opening somewhere beneath the Sea of Swords.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jan 2012 05:45:41
    Go to Top of Page
      Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000