Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Lore Acquisitions or Braggin' Rights
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  13:36:09  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
quote:
Originally written by Edgar Allan Poe
Once upon a midnight dreary, whilst I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

Since many of us, at some point, find ourselves missing a piece of Lore that we desperately need, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where we can share our recent acquisitions or pat ourselves on the back for scoring 'a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore.'

I envision this sort of like an index of 'Who has What References' in case someone needs some additional expertise in an area. I don't expect that most people will list fairly common references such as 4E Players Handbook, etc. But your 'curious volume of forgotten lore' or out of print materiel would be something to list since it's not readily available for most people to obtain.

Accordingly, I'll get us started.

Boxed Sets
  • Al-Qadim "City of Delights" (AD&D 2E) Still in its original plastic wrapper!
  • Al-Qadim Box Set "Land of Fate" (AD&D 2E)
  • Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms (AD&D 2E)

Source Books
  • Oriental Adventures (AD&D 2E)

• Arabian Adventures (AD&D 2E)

I'll add more as I get settled into our new home and get around to unpacking the office but these are some of the rare tomes of note in my collection.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  19:13:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got pretty much all of the pre-4E FR material, including the hard to find items What is the Forgotten Realms, Anyway?, the Eye of the Beholder III manual with the short story "Moonrise Over Myth Drannor", the Double Diamond Triangle Saga, and the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  19:28:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had everything.

Now I have nothing.

That was easy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  22:22:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I had everything.

Now I have nothing.

That was easy.

That's pretty much the situation I was in, except that my collection is more complete now than it was before the fire.

Additionally, before the fire, I'd not yet gotten to the Al-Qadim stuff, and I had very little Planescape material. Now I've got all of the former, and the only Planescape book I don't have is the incredibly rare sketchbook.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  22:40:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of my PS stuff was still shrink wrapped. So were a couple of DS items.

{sigh}

I miss my maps most of all.

You know what the icing on the cake was? I had purchased PDFs of a lot of old stuff - mostly the OA adventures, and a couple of AQ items - from Paizo, and when I went there recently to re-download them (which Paizo allows up to 5 times, IIRC), they were no longer available.

Thanks WotC. I was retroactively denied items I purchased.

Fortunately, I was still able to download the few Pathfinder and Malhavoc items I had.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Jan 2012 22:42:56
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  00:18:09  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MT, I hadn't heard; that's unbelievably, horrifically, gold plated bad news. I'm genuinely sorry to hear it.
I have virtually all the 1-2-3-3.5E game supplements, while simultaneously owning virtually no novels ( and none that weren't written by Ed or Elaine).

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  00:38:27  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sourcebooks I haven't got are some limited-production rarities on the one hand, and on the other a bunch that I've been selling off because they take up more space on my shelves than they contribute to my Realms: Elminster's Ecologies, Netheril, Ruins of Undermountain II, and miscellaneous peripherally Realmslike books the 90s churned out.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  00:45:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A lot of my PS stuff was still shrink wrapped. So were a couple of DS items.

{sigh}

I miss my maps most of all.

You know what the icing on the cake was? I had purchased PDFs of a lot of old stuff - mostly the OA adventures, and a couple of AQ items - from Paizo, and when I went there recently to re-download them (which Paizo allows up to 5 times, IIRC), they were no longer available.

Thanks WotC. I was retroactively denied items I purchased.

Fortunately, I was still able to download the few Pathfinder and Malhavoc items I had.

By an odd twist of fate, my maps were among the few things that weren't lost in the fire. So I wound up with a fair number of duplicates... I just wish I had a big enough wall for the 10 section poster map of Waterdeep!

As for the pdf thing, I was irked for that exact same reason, when WotC did that. I'm sure I commented on it, at the time. Luckily, though, the only computer lost in the fire was one I'd stopped using for a slightly better one -- so no data was lost, just a fairly good (if older) machine.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  02:05:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The sourcebooks I haven't got are some limited-production rarities on the one hand ...
That largely sums up my own situation with Realms products. I've missed obtaining a few rarities, either because of limited production, or due to the fact that they were released as part of GenCon-only promotions [like that nefarious Netheril timeline] in the US.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  04:25:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a lot of 'oddball' stuff, like all the historic books, the Spacefarer's handbook, the Sha'irs handbook - not too many people bought those.

All my Dragon magazines....

about 7000 miniatures...

My dogs.... that really hurts.

Anyhow, my insurance company challenged the items list, because they thought I had too much stuff (even though it was all photographed, including the burnt-out husks of eight computers). I'll eventually get what I want, but I'll probably have to go to court, because I am not willing to settle for $60K less then what I am entitled to. A few thousand wouldn't matter (at this point), but thats too big a hit for me to absorb.

They made good on the house right away though - go figure. They've also been supporting my fat, lazy arse for almost a year, so its not all bad.

Anyhow, I've managed to acquire a few sources (which should be obvious by some of my posts), but its the novels I really want to replace. They were like my friends (not just the FR ones - the ones I started collecting back in Jr. High, starting with my dog-eared copy of LotR.)

But as for this thread topic, I still have my memory (which used to be perfect, but I enjoyed the 80's WAAAY too much), and even if I can't remember the precise details surrounding something, I can usually recall just enough for the amazing scribes here to fill in the rest.

But I am still looking for that illithid Candlekeep Sage.. Oh yes... I'll find him... someday....

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  05:26:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But I am still looking for that illithid Candlekeep Sage.. Oh yes... I'll find him... someday....
It's been what, nearly 4 years since you began your search?

Interestingly, though, I came across a tidbit that might be what you're thinking about. It wasn't in any way related to your search, but I was perusing Steven Schend's old Candlekeep Collection, when I re-happened upon this curious tome title:- Memoirs of an Illithid-Human Crossbreed by Naneetha Shinalstar, War Mage of Saelmur.

Could this be what you've been searching for, Markus?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  05:36:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Illithiad? I bought mine on eBay while rounding out my 2E lore some years ago.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  16:08:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a photocopy of Ed's hand-drawn map of the lower level of the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar (i.e. Whisper's Crypt). How's that for bragging rights?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  16:13:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I have a photocopy of Ed's hand-drawn map of the lower level of the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar (i.e. Whisper's Crypt). How's that for bragging rights?

-- George Krashos

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  16:49:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

That's got the rest of us beat.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  19:25:37  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an illegal copy of Ed chained up in my basement churning out secret, private Realmslore just for me.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  19:31:05  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Amazing. I live in Toronto, next time I see Ed at a booksigning or conference here I will go after him for unique items! JK :)

I have a great collection for me, I love my Volo's Guides most of all but a few books just give me goosebumps when I take them off the shelves (The Grey Box set, obviously; Haunted Halls of Eveningstar; The Moonsea; The Dalelands; Corymyr--all 2nd edition).

I think I have nearly everything from 1st and 2nd edition and a few books of 3rd edition.

What I'd love to collect now is original FR and DL paintings from Caldwell, Elmore, etc. Then I can make my mancave complete.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  19:38:41  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is no mancave, it is a Geek's Lair.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  19:56:44  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realms stuff: Double Diamond Triangle Saga (1-9, mint 1st printings), Fonstead's Forgotten Realms Atlas (love this book), Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, Original Grey Box.

Forgive me for including these as they are not Forgotten Realms: Van Richten's Guide to- Werebeasts, Vampires, The Lich, The Ancient Dead, Vistani, Ghosts, The Created...love them all.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  00:54:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

You know the City of Churches isn't that far from Perth, right Krash?

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  02:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I'm still looking forward to seeing it, George!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  16:32:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what the best part of having 'kewl stuff' is?

No-one else has it.

My hat is off to you George.

Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  17:18:09  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, now that's the kind of stuff we might all benefit from!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  22:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the hardest-to-find item in my FR collection is the Prayer Card from King Azoun's funeral that was held at GenCon. I couldn't go to the event as I was DMing in the same time slot. After I was done DMing, I went over to the other building to see if it was still going on. It wasn't, but I was fortunate - someone had left their card on a table near the auction room. That poor discard is now lovingly stored in acid-free plastic in my FR notebook, next to my copy of the "What is the Forgotten Realms, Anyway?" flyer, and a strange FR retailer support flyer that goes with the Calisham box set.

None of these items is as collectable as George's map, but they're the best I've got.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  00:02:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

I think the hardest-to-find item in my FR collection is the Prayer Card from King Azoun's funeral that was held at GenCon. I couldn't go to the event as I was DMing in the same time slot. After I was done DMing, I went over to the other building to see if it was still going on. It wasn't, but I was fortunate - someone had left their card on a table near the auction room. That poor discard is now lovingly stored in acid-free plastic in my FR notebook, next to my copy of the "What is the Forgotten Realms, Anyway?" flyer, and a strange FR retailer support flyer that goes with the Calisham box set.

None of these items is as collectable as George's map, but they're the best I've got.

I think that card was also inserted into either a Dragon or something else that came out at the same time frame... I think this because I had one, and I know I didn't get it at Gen Con, since I've never made it to one...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  04:55:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I got mine from an LGS - it was a promotional thing they were giving out, just a few weeks before the novel Death of the Dragon came out.

I forgot I had that - thanks for reminding me. {smirk}

The only 'rarity' I had was the first print-run of the 1e DD - the one with the Moorcock, Newhon, and Cthulhu mythos'. I was very proud of that. The only other items of note were some signed novels.

It was the non-D&D stuff I couldn't possibly replace - all my minis, and the game books from companies long gone (Judges Guild, Chaoism, Flying Buffalo, and FGU, to name a few).

Funny thing is, with some of the talk about 5e, I may just be able to replace some of my old sources with shiny new ones - an option that wasn't available until now.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  08:41:31  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think I got mine from an LGS - it was a promotional thing they were giving out, just a few weeks before the novel Death of the Dragon came out.

I forgot I had that - thanks for reminding me. {smirk}

The only 'rarity' I had was the first print-run of the 1e DD - the one with the Moorcock, Newhon, and Cthulhu mythos'. I was very proud of that. The only other items of note were some signed novels.

It was the non-D&D stuff I couldn't possibly replace - all my minis, and the game books from companies long gone (Judges Guild, Chaoism, Flying Buffalo, and FGU, to name a few).

Funny thing is, with some of the talk about 5e, I may just be able to replace some of my old sources with shiny new ones - an option that wasn't available until now.

Just thought I should mention that both Chaosium and Flying Buffalo are still in business.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  13:46:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The only 'rarity' I had was the first print-run of the 1e DD - the one with the Moorcock, Newhon, and Cthulhu mythos'.

I had that book, in very good condition -- one of the best bosses I'd ever had just gave me his copy.

I've looked for it on eBay a couple of times, and the copies I've seen listed were going for far more than I'm willing to spend, and weren't in as good a shape as the one Sir Dave gave me.

Heh, Markus and I could practically do our own thread, here -- "What did you have that was destroyed by fire?"

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  03:00:12  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My braggin' right is that Brian James gave me a "special thanks" by name on the credits page of A Grand History of the Realms for some of my Aearee lore that he canonized. Totally unexpected and the sweetest gesture. Something I will always appreciate. So A Grand History of the Realms would be my most treasured lore acquisition for sentimental reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  03:47:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also possess the original 144-page AD&D (1E) Deities & Demigods which includes the extra pantheons, several copies now actually. As well as an "inherited" never-used copy of the inferior 128-page version autographed by Gary Gygax. Plus the DMG, PHB, Monster Manual and Monster Manual II books with his autograph, although these are the "reprinted" versions and in rather terrible shape with the covers taped and retaped over many years of use.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  17:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't even thought about autographed material. In FR, I have a grey box set with Ed's signature. I also have a 6th edition of the original D&D white box rules with Gary Gygax, Dave Arneson, David Sutherland III and Greg Bell's signatures. Greg was the artist who drew the "lizard with an axe logo" that TRS used for a while in it's early years. I worked in a hobby shop with Greg for a while post college.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic