Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Introduction To Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  17:10:34  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
What was your introduction to the Forgotten Realms?

Choices:

Dungeons and Dragons
Novel Range
Other (Please Specify)

(Anonymous Vote)

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  17:27:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I heard about the Forgotten Realms back in early 2000's. But it was in 2007 when I first gave it a try, specifically the novel The Summoning by Troy Denning.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  17:34:19  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was my sophomore year of HS (1995) when I read Darkwalker on Moonshae, and I have never turned back. As per your other scroll, I honestly can't remember which was the first Realms novel I purchased. This is mainly because I bought so many during my freshman year of college.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  17:34:38  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was the range of novels that introduced me to the Realms. I've still never played a game of Dungeons and Dragons about 10 years on.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  17:55:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was intro'ed to TSR settings thru the Dragonlance comics, first. From there, I got into the Dragonlance novels. I stumbled across the Forgotten Realms novels entirely by chance, and my attention was grabbed by the mention "By the publishers of the Dragonlance Saga" on the cover. So I picked up the novel, and just got more and more into the Realms, the more I read.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  18:32:54  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fact mine was through Baldur's Gate I , after that I started to search for some info through the internet and I ended in Candlekeep.com. Reading these forums back in the times of Bookwyrm, Sarelle, Arivia, Lina and SiriusBlack made me start reading novels. My very first novels were the Time of Troubles trilogy, (wich also had to do with Baldur's Gate I somehow).

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  18:38:34  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came to the Realms through Ed's original "Pages from the Mages" articles in early issues of Dragon Magazine. My group was getting a little tired of Greyhawk, although we loved it as well, and we were looking for something new.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  18:56:02  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Must have been one of my first D&D sessions I got drawn into by my friends back in 1992. We (my dwarf character and the rest of the party) helped lord Mourngrym with some local bandits. Shadowdale is, to this day, still my favorite environment to D&D in.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  19:39:36  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D&D...
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  21:35:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old commodore/apple computer games, Pool of Radiance/Curse of the Azure Bonds, from the 80's. :) Man, I'm old.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  22:19:48  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eye of the Beholder series..I'm old too...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  23:35:58  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baldur's gate crpg... and then icewind dale trilogy

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  23:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Eltheron, I discovered the Realms through Ed's early Dragon magazine articles. After reading the article "From the City of Brass to High Orc Pass," I wanted to know more about Ed Greeenwood's world, and as soon as Darkwalker on Moonshae the gray box came out, I was hooked.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  00:58:33  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pool of Radiance...gold box game on my C128 computer back in like 1988. Is that "other" or D&D? The Moonsea is STILL my favorite area...Then the Dales and Sembia and to a lesser extent Cormyr. After that I was hooked and bought the novels, Spellfire being my all time favourite.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  01:31:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first experience with the "written" Realms was with the Darkwalker on Moonshae novel by Doug Niles. Initially, I was looking for more DRAGONLANCE fiction [Dragons of Autumn Twilight served as my introduction to this style of fantasy-fiction several years before] when I managed to pick up a copy, shortly after its initial release here in Australia [from the local library]. It was, as I recall, just a few weeks past its publication in the US. Intensely curious with this new trilogy, I read the entire novel in less than three days and was immediately entranced with this strange fantasy land called the Moonshae Isles. I wanted more!

From there, I learned of Ed's 1987 FR boxed set which was just beginning to be sold here in Australia, and also of the fact that the Moonshae Islands were detailed inside the boxed set as part of the Realms [which was actually the first section of the Old Gray Box that I read when I first got it home]. Moving out from the Moonshae Islands, I then started to read about the main continent of Faerûn, where I slowly became aware of just how fantastic the world around the Moonshaes was.

The old SSI games for the C64/Amiga were my first experience with the "electronic" Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  01:33:07  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up my first copy of the Old Gray Box in '87 at the PX when I was stationed at the 67th Evacuation Hospital in Wuerzberg, Germany.

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nefarious
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2011 :  06:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Nefarious's Homepage Send Nefarious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first introduction was by finding a friend's copy of Shadows of Doom at a LAN party, after which I promptly purchased all of Ed Greenwood's books.
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2011 :  07:26:01  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
twas an accident

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2011 :  17:11:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Streams of Silver got me hooked on the Realms, followed by the 2nd ed AD&D

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  03:38:29  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baldur's Gate 1 introduced me to the Realms, though I had read a couple Realms novels before then I hadn't known that the Realms were anything special until the game.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  09:20:26  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before I could read well myself, in early elementary school sometime(I was born in 1988), I chose "The Parched Sea" novel as a gift for my brother for Christmas or a birthday. It turned out he already had it,. Then at some point later I decided to read it. I was fascinated by the Harpers and Zhentarim. I then read the Crystal Shard, which my mom owned, and then more and more novels of my brother's and then in junior high the school library.

I'm not sure if I even know Forgotten Realms and D&D were tied together until Baldur's Gate came out when I was in grade 5 or 6 (age 9-10, for me, or there abouts)

At some point I scoured my moms' dragon magazine for articles by Ed Greenwood, who she told me created the Forgotten Realms. My mom used to write to and get her letters published in dragon magazine's and she still has in a box #3 up for like a decade.
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2011 :  00:16:52  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was friends with someone who owned a computer/games store, who played in games I had run previously in Greyhawk (which was adequate, but that I never really 'got into'). I had said I was going to start a new campaign, but I kept procrastinating...my own game world was proceeding exceedingly slowly in its development, and most stuff published to that point just didn't fire the ol' neurons.

He got a shipment of various game products one day, and handed me this weird grey box as his employees were unpacking all the stuff.

"Here. Take it."

The campaign started that Friday night.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2011 :  01:18:46  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Played D&D Red Box, was hooked up, then came the Eye of the Beholder games which intrigued me to Waterdeep and the Realms and then Baldur's Gate finished me off forever!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  15:49:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nefarious

My first introduction was by finding a friend's copy of Shadows of Doom at a LAN party, after which I promptly purchased all of Ed Greenwood's books.

I am certainly glad this was not the first realms book i ever read. It might have had a disastrous effect.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2011 :  16:20:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darkwalker on Moonshae, Spellfire, and Elfshadow during middle school. Then the Avatar series. Hooked.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

CaptainTrips
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2011 :  15:37:06  Show Profile Send CaptainTrips a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AD&D - specifically, the original Forgotten Realms grey box campaign setting.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2011 :  16:13:48  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainTrips

AD&D - specifically, the original Forgotten Realms grey box campaign setting.

LOVE that cover

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  00:19:20  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it was 1988 in my local bookstore in liverpool.id read a fighting fantasy novel by steve jackson called the trolltooth wars.i saw the cover to darkwalker on moonshae and was immediately drawn to it.never looked back.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Mantis
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  05:59:03  Show Profile Send Mantis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a copy of Crystal Shard my mom had bought and never read. i picked it up in 2000 and never stopped from there.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  14:07:02  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mantis

I found a copy of Crystal Shard my mom had bought and never read. i picked it up in 2000 and never stopped from there.

You should tell your mom how great it is and try to make her a Realms convert

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 24 Oct 2011 14:07:16
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  14:11:56  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't cool enough to hang out with the kids who played d&d in high school/junior high, and didn't know where to find people on campus once I got to college who weren't stoned hipster idiots. And after some failed attempts at getting into dragonlance novels over the years, a friend recommended the Icewind Dale trilogy last year. So I'm still figuring out stuff out as a noob only 50 or so novels in, but enjoying the hell out of reading everything I can get my grubby mitts on, several hundreds of days late and increasingly more bucks short.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000