Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Introduction To Forgotten Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AdamBridger Posted - 11 Aug 2011 : 17:10:34
What was your introduction to the Forgotten Realms?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Therise Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 14:51:23
I was a Greyhawk player in AD&D, having come down through Chainmail, then started reading about the Realms in Dragon magazine... way back when...

Thrasymachus Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 09:28:13
1st Edition AD&D. Ed’s Dragon magazine articles led to purchasing the setting material.
stephenslate Posted - 20 Jan 2012 : 05:02:21
I started out playing in the realms, my first book i ever read was pool of radience, and i played the red d&d boxed set but i played with some old gamers that used the 1st ed. more than the 2nd ed. until the 2nd. ed. came out than both were used since most of the 1st. was better then the 2nd. but there were some info for the 2nd that updated all the rules so we just used the 1st. and 2nd. and left it as that and never touched the 3rd. and 4th. except in the video games but thats about it.
Nicolai Withander Posted - 20 Dec 2011 : 10:31:22
I have got to say, that even though, I chose D&D, It was a mix of D&D, playing Baldur's Gate and because of BG, reading about Elminster.

So... A mix of all!
Tren of Twilight Tower Posted - 19 Dec 2011 : 21:18:12
Neat topic.

My introduction to FRs came via greatest video-game ever made - Neverwinter Nights. Those who played the game and bothered to get deeper in it by downloading community-made modifications and connect to online-worlds will know what I am talking about.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 18 Dec 2011 : 18:51:49
Eye of the beholder comuter game
Matt James Posted - 17 Dec 2011 : 20:45:39
Technically it was 1e, but I was a young kid tagging along with his big brother. I didn't really get into the Realms until AD&D 2e around 1991-ish
froglegg Posted - 17 Dec 2011 : 17:30:25
By way of 1st Edition AD&D.

John
Markustay Posted - 15 Dec 2011 : 06:47:47
I did play D&D, but D&D didn't really require 'a setting' (at least back then). You started out at the Inn, and then marched off to the Dungeon - that was about it. I had a friend who still used the old rules from time to time (which was weird, because we had the same characters in both systems), but he ran GH as well (once we had progressed to the point where we wanted a setting). I love Mystara, but sadly, never played in it.

As for Dragonlance, it had tried to replace (in my eyes) my beloved Greyhawk before The Realms did, and unfortunately earned the brunt of my animosity (I never gave it a chance). By the time FR came around, I had mellowed enough to at least try it. So I suppose if DL hadn't paved the way, I wouldn't have tried FR... at least not right away... (not that I tried it right away anyway - I didn't run it until 2e).

However, none of that stopped me from buying FR and DL products, along with DS, PS, RL, SJ, and everything else that came down the pipe - I'm a whore when it comes to raiding anything and everything for ideas (The Minotaurs of Taladas is still one of my favorite sources).
Dennis Posted - 15 Dec 2011 : 06:17:40

It was the other way around for me. I read FR novels and discovered DL after...
scererar Posted - 15 Dec 2011 : 02:37:08
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

It's a bit surprising that so many played Greyhawk before the Realms, although I suppose it might be expected since the "core" books for 1E and 2E were filled with numerous minor Greyhawk references, races, spells, magic items, etc.

Nobody first played Dragonlance as their main campaign setting?
Nobody first played D&D (instead of AD&D)?

I read Dragonlance novels, and those turned me onto the FR novels...

Same here. I started reading DL novels then found the FR ones. I also first started playing D&D with the red basic set in 86
The Sage Posted - 15 Dec 2011 : 01:06:30
quote:

I long gamed and read in the world of DRAGONLANCE before the Realms. It was my one true TSR love before the coming of the official FORGOTTEN REALMS in 1986/87.
_Jarlaxle_ Posted - 14 Dec 2011 : 23:32:43
I think I said this on a simillar scroll allready.

My first touch with the realms was throuch the game Baldurs Gate 2, from there it went BG1, Neverwinter Nights and finally to reading the novels.

I never really played D&D Pen&Paper unfortunatly, tried it once with a starter set and some friends but they didn't really get into it and I'm not really a good DM...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Dec 2011 : 21:51:30
quote:

It's a bit surprising that so many played Greyhawk before the Realms, although I suppose it might be expected since the "core" books for 1E and 2E were filled with numerous minor Greyhawk references, races, spells, magic items, etc.

I read Dragonlance novels, and those turned me onto the FR novels...
Ayrik Posted - 14 Dec 2011 : 21:31:00

Markustay Posted - 14 Dec 2011 : 21:17:05
I was a Greyhawk DM for years (using many systems, not just D&D), and then my brother-in-law and his friends wanted to learn to play (after a bad experience with another DM), but insisted on using this 'newfangled' Forgotten Realms. At that time, I collected EVERYTHING produced by TSR, and most other RPG companies, so I already had the OGB and whatever 1e supplements that had come out for it, so I bought the 2nd edition box (which had just come out) and started running it.... and its been a wild love affair ever since.

I still feel bad about leaving GH behind, but people change, and it was time to move on - I'm just glad we didn't have children together.
xaeyruudh Posted - 14 Dec 2011 : 09:01:29
it was the original gray box for me too. it took no more than 3 seconds to realize that adventuring in the Realms was going to be far better than Greyhawk or the Known World, though those had their moments. i loved the broad-ranging quality of the Cyclopedia, which gave a Glance at so many different areas that i could pick something i liked and build an adventure around it. just enough to get your mind going, but not so much that it did all the work for you. i didn't really jump in though until FR10. the Old Empires has been my home ever since. it is kinda weird when "getting out of my comfort zone" means doing something in the Heartlands. but at least there's tons of published material for those times.
stephenslate Posted - 14 Dec 2011 : 06:57:31
1991 shadowdale i was playing a first level berserker .
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 18:43:54
Eye of the beholder 2 PC GAME
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 01 Nov 2011 : 11:37:40
My introduction to the Realms came by way of my old manager asking us to learn about D&D and to create characters under him for the first time. That's actually where Joran came from, and where all my stories and adventures with him started. One summer day in an office, surrounded by a massive box of dice, AD&D 2E books, pencils, calculators, boxed sets, and papers while the air conditioner sputtered and struggled to keep the blazing heat from cooking us all inside. Ah, the memories!!
Seethyr Posted - 29 Oct 2011 : 18:07:43
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

The old commodore/apple computer games, Pool of Radiance/Curse of the Azure Bonds, from the 80's. :) Man, I'm old.

quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

Eye of the Beholder series..I'm old too...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and then there were three. Pools of Radiance here...
Marc Posted - 29 Oct 2011 : 17:52:14
AD&D in 1998, but Forgotten Realms two years after, after I changed the group.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 29 Oct 2011 : 17:43:16
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainTrips

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

AD&D - specifically, the original Forgotten Realms grey box campaign setting.

LOVE that cover

Agreed, the covers of both the books in that set (one of which was also on the cover) are some of my favorite Forgotten Realms, and D&D, cover art.

When i see that cover i always picture an huge army waiting right behind the hill ready to support the lone scout
CaptainTrips Posted - 29 Oct 2011 : 15:18:26
quote:

quote:

AD&D - specifically, the original Forgotten Realms grey box campaign setting.

LOVE that cover

Agreed, the covers of both the books in that set (one of which was also on the cover) are some of my favorite Forgotten Realms, and D&D, cover art.
Nilus Reynard Posted - 26 Oct 2011 : 23:03:02
My first inroduction to TSR products was through the Dragonlance novels, and when I no longer found them interesting I started to read Forgotten Realms & haven't looked back.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 24 Oct 2011 : 16:31:53
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

I wasn't cool enough to hang out with the kids who played d&d in high school/junior high, and didn't know where to find people on campus once I got to college who weren't stoned hipster idiots. And after some failed attempts at getting into dragonlance novels over the years, a friend recommended the Icewind Dale trilogy last year. So I'm still figuring out stuff out as a noob only 50 or so novels in, but enjoying the hell out of reading everything I can get my grubby mitts on, several hundreds of days late and increasingly more bucks short.

Better late than never my friend

Indeed.

I am happy to say I successfully "converted" a friend. I introduced him to Forgotten Realms through The Haunted Lands Trilogy, and he has become a loyal follower in a matter of days. He's devouring every FR novel in my library right now.

I tried to convert a friend of mine who loves epic fantasy, but it didn't really work out. I think the shortest fantasy book he had ever read was 600 pages, so the 315 Realms books did not appeal to him much. I tried though!
WizardsHerb Posted - 24 Oct 2011 : 16:24:53
Baldur's Gate CRPG way back was my first introduction to the Realms. It was part of a wave of fantasy CRPGs I discovered when I went to a new school and made friends with other computer owners (I swear, when I was growing up it seemed almost no one knew what a personal computer was, let alone played games on one) and we all traded games when we were done with them. I had the Ultima Collection. :D

It was pretty darned magical, I tell you. There weren't any of the novels in the school library, and it was years later when we started playing D&D as well. I remember being confused by D&D's 3rd edition rules when I'd only known it through BG1's computerized AD&D 2e set. Good times. :)
Dennis Posted - 24 Oct 2011 : 15:12:06
quote:

quote:

I wasn't cool enough to hang out with the kids who played d&d in high school/junior high, and didn't know where to find people on campus once I got to college who weren't stoned hipster idiots. And after some failed attempts at getting into dragonlance novels over the years, a friend recommended the Icewind Dale trilogy last year. So I'm still figuring out stuff out as a noob only 50 or so novels in, but enjoying the hell out of reading everything I can get my grubby mitts on, several hundreds of days late and increasingly more bucks short.

Indeed.

I am happy to say I successfully "converted" a friend. I introduced him to Forgotten Realms through The Haunted Lands Trilogy, and he has become a loyal follower in a matter of days. He's devouring every FR novel in my library right now.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 24 Oct 2011 : 14:17:03
quote:

Yoss Posted - 24 Oct 2011 : 14:11:56

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000