Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Cormyrean Laws - The Dos and Do Not Dos?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LukasJP
Acolyte

Denmark
5 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2022 :  11:58:26  Show Profile Send LukasJP a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey folks! I am seeking a bit of help with some Realms' material for a campaign I have been running with my current group for a while now; material that pertains to that most exciting of life aspects: law enforcement (yay!)

I would like to hear you guys' views on the laws of Cormyr, as represented to us in the 'Four From Cormyr' module, in particular the law that states that you must bow your head to royalty and local nobility.

I have consulted with other Realms material on laws in general (looking at you, Elminster's Forgotten Realms), but I am having a devil of a time figuring out how to enforce such a law, if there are any associated fines or social stigmas (beyond proud Cormyrean citizens looking a bit askew on a group of foreign adventurers not respecting their laws and traditions).

Are there anyone with some insight into how laws like that are to be handled, the consequences of not obeying said law (I mean, Cormyr is an unusually ordered kingdom, right?), or just general ideas concerning them? Some help would be must welcome!

P.S. A 100 nerd points if you get the title.

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2022 :  12:35:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The D & DND?

an ebony adamantine sai appeared from the background, metal letters in Roushoum upon its "crossguard" or moto, a blue gem and an imprint of symbol of Auppenser in its "pommel" or tsukagashira. The sai floated in the air, "bowing" forward slightly before introducing itself as, "Hello, I'm Lorey Hisstory, Psion sai cyclopedia, and I believe I have an answer to this question that is both informative and entertaining"

Well, I know in one particularly poor village I visited, there was one fellow, a cobbler, who failed to bow his head to the queen. Oddly, it wasn't the queen or her guards that took the man down, but rather the local mayor took the man, stuck him a hastily placed set of stocks so that he would be stuck in a bowing position for the whole village to see that he was fully bowing to the queen the whole time that she was there. He then had a very shallow latrine dug three inches in front of the stocks and instructed all of his guards that they should deliberately eat a bowl of cabbage stew and relieve their bodily tensions at said latrine. Of course, the local children laughed, guffawed, and decided they would join in the merriment, some explosively. It was actually the queen that demanded that the man's sentence be ended when she heard about it, and the man was so grateful that he dropped to the spot and begged to be allowed to be her loyal servant. Seeing the town shamed by their queen, she accepted the man ON THE SPOT, making him "master of her chamber pot" for the remainder of her visit to the village. But, the man did not complain, and he was seen to proudly carry her chamber pot to empty it into the woods. Though the villagers were known to laugh and jeer at this, by the third day the mayor was seen to bow to the man as he passed, not in mockery, but in respect. Soon, the whole town was bowing as the man carried the queen's chamber pot into the woods. When the queen was set to leave the town, she called a gathering to the town's center, where she was seen to knight the cobbler, naming him her new "Defender and Caretaker of the Queen's Footwear". He was presented with several pairs of her boots, high heels, and "practical shoes", which he must keep on display at all times for the town to see and defend against theft.

Over the next few years, the number of high paying noble women who showed up at the town to purchase new boots from the cobbler, not to mention shop at the other local shops and eat a small bowl of cabbage stew at the local tavern, changed the status of the village from one of poor villagers to that of a slightly well to do village. Several of these noblewomen were seen to buy up several of the larger houses in the town, only to realize that they were "much too small for a vacation house", and promptly hire local workers to expand them into proper "small manses" that their children would come with them to on vacation. The cobblers own children were seen to hire themselves to these visiting noble families, always taking the role of "master of the chamberpot", which they performed quite honorably and respectfully. Eventually, these noble families had their own children grow up. Their vacation homes became dwellings for the now grown children and their new wives, and of course.... they all bought their footwear from the now grown children of the cobbler, who had grown up to take over their father's business, because of course..... he had become the new mayor upon the passing of the old one.

There are rumors that have flown about that the queen's chamberpot was magical and actually emptied itself. Whether this is true or not is unknown, but its said that the cobbler himself, who had kept the it as a gift from the queen until his own death, was buried with the chamber pot in his coffin.

That same town also had a law against feeding a dairy-cursed (aka lactose intolerant) tressym saucers of milk.

A red leatherbound book floating in the background was heard to "snicker", its pages ruffling as a result, before adding, "I've always loved that story. You do know who the original mayor was, don't you?"

"Well, I'd heard a rumor that it was a certain harper, but... that couldn't possibly be true... could it?" responded Lorey

The red book was seen to turn quickly and head away, all the while whistling slyly.

"Grrr, sometimes you are infuriating, do you know that?"

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 07 Feb 2022 14:48:01
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2022 :  12:58:00  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So tressym are honorary cats? Must be a great life in Eveningstar.
Go to Top of Page

LukasJP
Acolyte

Denmark
5 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2022 :  15:51:43  Show Profile Send LukasJP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

The D & DND?

an ebony adamantine sai appeared from the background, metal letters in Roushoum upon its "crossguard" or moto, a blue gem and an imprint of symbol of Auppenser in its "pommel" or tsukagashira. The sai floated in the air, "bowing" forward slightly before introducing itself as, "Hello, I'm Lorey Hisstory, Psion sai cyclopedia, and I believe I have an answer to this question that is both informative and entertaining"

Well, I know in one particularly poor village I visited, there was one fellow, a cobbler, who failed to bow his head to the queen. Oddly, it wasn't the queen or her guards that took the man down, but rather the local mayor took the man, stuck him a hastily placed set of stocks so that he would be stuck in a bowing position for the whole village to see that he was fully bowing to the queen the whole time that she was there. He then had a very shallow latrine dug three inches in front of the stocks and instructed all of his guards that they should deliberately eat a bowl of cabbage stew and relieve their bodily tensions at said latrine. Of course, the local children laughed, guffawed, and decided they would join in the merriment, some explosively. It was actually the queen that demanded that the man's sentence be ended when she heard about it, and the man was so grateful that he dropped to the spot and begged to be allowed to be her loyal servant. Seeing the town shamed by their queen, she accepted the man ON THE SPOT, making him "master of her chamber pot" for the remainder of her visit to the village. But, the man did not complain, and he was seen to proudly carry her chamber pot to empty it into the woods. Though the villagers were known to laugh and jeer at this, by the third day the mayor was seen to bow to the man as he passed, not in mockery, but in respect. Soon, the whole town was bowing as the man carried the queen's chamber pot into the woods. When the queen was set to leave the town, she called a gathering to the town's center, where she was seen to knight the cobbler, naming him her new "Defender and Caretaker of the Queen's Footwear". He was presented with several pairs of her boots, high heels, and "practical shoes", which he must keep on display at all times for the town to see and defend against theft.

Well that is certainly one way to handle the situation!

But more to my point; I've been looking for the most 'standardized' reactions and consequences, if you want to call it that, so I can adjust them according to specific factors (like who is involved, the offending party, etc.)

The best I could do was dig up my TSR9410 (Cormyr), which very broadly states that each town handles all crimes differently, from extracting fines to banishment. Still, there are variables I have a hard time accounting for - how would your generic noble, who is not greeted with the bow of a head, react? Who would he go to complain about this violation of the law? What would an appropriate fine be, et cetera et cetera.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2022 :  16:45:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LukasJP

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

The D & DND?

Well that is certainly one way to handle the situation!

But more to my point; I've been looking for the most 'standardized' reactions and consequences, if you want to call it that, so I can adjust them according to specific factors (like who is involved, the offending party, etc.)

The best I could do was dig up my TSR9410 (Cormyr), which very broadly states that each town handles all crimes differently, from extracting fines to banishment. Still, there are variables I have a hard time accounting for - how would your generic noble, who is not greeted with the bow of a head, react? Who would he go to complain about this violation of the law? What would an appropriate fine be, et cetera et cetera.

I've heard in Eveningstar, the constabulary takes the miscreant, brings them to the Lonesome Tankard tavern. They then announce to the room that the individual in question is "paying for a heaping bowl of cabbage stew for everyone there". The implied threat, not to mention the resulting "fine", tends to curb this activity. As the story spread, many law enforcement communities have adopted this same approach.

It's been said that all such reports are then documented and sent to the king as a report. It's been said that the king's men make note of nobles who make this complaint on a regular basis. It's said that they receive special attentions from the royal court.... often specifically in front of the individuals that they've accused in the past. It's said that in one instance, the king, through channels, gave several accused individuals cabbage farms, then specifically visited said nobles and told them that "his soldiers needed only the best cabbage for cabbage stew and that only X farm would do". The accused individual(s) of course was then allowed to negotiate the sale of their farm's produce to the noble for a reasonable recompense... or course, other nobles would also put in their own competing offers to drive the price up the second they heard of the king's request. Nobles that don't meet the king's request of course lose face in the court of the king, and other nobles that buy the cabbage and provide it to the king... for free... earn much favor as a result.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 07 Feb 2022 16:47:44
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2022 :  02:55:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When in Cormyr, don't capture a stray cat, put it into a cauldron, and start ranting about Pazuzu while recklessly flinging (mostly) harmless wild magics at the local population.

It seems to be illegal. Somehow.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2022 :  02:59:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Don't ask. Long story. I just needed some cat fur as a spell component but things kinda escalated.)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1155 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2022 :  06:56:23  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Explanation for why harming cats in Cormyr is illegal, according to Ed:
quote:
Baerauble helped some early noble and knights' daughters to escape death with a spell that transformed them into cat form. He later drafted the law to protect the safety of anyone else this was done to, by any of his successors (as Royal Magician).

Source: https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1484344059753730048
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000