Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What to read next?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  02:04:52  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Recently read the Lady Penetent series as far as has been released. I really enjoyed it. I liked the realms shaking or changing events. I also am up to date on the RAS novels and wondered if there is something else new out there that has oh, I don't know Gods dying cities being destroyed in seeming preperation for D&D 4th ed.? Also any other older series that is to good to miss. I have read all RAS, Harper's, Daughter of the Drow series, Avatar series. I am currently working on the Dungeon series which I am enjoying well enough. I also have read sword and song.

I would like to read some new stuff mostly to keep with whats new in the realms.

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  02:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you like RSEs...
- Cormyr Trilogy (Cormyr, Beyond the High Road, Death of the Dragon), great read
- The Last Mythal trilogy, mostly a great read
- Return of the Archwizards trilogy, erm...I canīt personally recommend this one, but it is a RSE
- the ongoing Haunted Lands (Richard Lee Byers, great so far) and Twilight War trilogy (Paul S. Kemp and so far fantastic)
- Blackstaff by Steven Schend, fantastic novel

For older series or novels...geez, there are a lot of gems there. But if I have to choose one, then (for itīs a style I dearly miss) I suggest The Finderīs Stone trilogy by Grubb and Novak. īCause, well, you canīt beat Grubb and Novak at their thing. Thereīs even a God dying there...somewhere *wink*.
And anything with the name Greenwood as the author...

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  02:43:37  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

Well, if you like RSEs...
- Cormyr Trilogy (Cormyr, Beyond the High Road, Death of the Dragon), great read
- The Last Mythal trilogy, mostly a great read
- Return of the Archwizards trilogy, erm...I canīt personally recommend this one, but it is a RSE
- the ongoing Haunted Lands (Richard Lee Byers, great so far) and Twilight War trilogy (Paul S. Kemp and so far fantastic)
- Blackstaff by Steven Schend, fantastic novel

For older series or novels...geez, there are a lot of gems there. But if I have to choose one, then (for itīs a style I dearly miss) I suggest The Finderīs Stone trilogy by Grubb and Novak. īCause, well, you canīt beat Grubb and Novak at their thing. Thereīs even a God dying there...somewhere *wink*.
And anything with the name Greenwood as the author...

I prefer the Year of Rogue Dragons and Paul Kemp's Everis Cale stuff to one's you have mentioned.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  03:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mhm...I prefer those, too (Kemp and Byers are Gods when it comes to writing style and may be the cream of the crop among what to me are the "newer FR writers"), but the first Cale trilogy wasnīt really a RSE, or am I forgetting something? (And I mentioned the second). And Rogue Dragons...hmm, except for Sammy, it was a lot less RSE than I had expected, so I was going more by the RSE request of hooper101, than personal preference(though I really, really liked the Cormyr trilogy and Blackstaff and I liked the bigger part of Last Mythal).

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  04:30:18  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

Mhm...I prefer those, too (Kemp and Byers are Gods when it comes to writing style and may be the cream of the crop among what to me are the "newer FR writers"), but the first Cale trilogy wasnīt really a RSE, or am I forgetting something? (And I mentioned the second). And Rogue Dragons...hmm, except for Sammy, it was a lot less RSE than I had expected, so I was going more by the RSE request of hooper101, than personal preference(though I really, really liked the Cormyr trilogy and Blackstaff and I liked the bigger part of Last Mythal).

True in that the first Kemp trilogy was not RSE. I disagree with your assessment that the year of Rogue Dragons was not since the entire Realms was under attack from raging dragons

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000