Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Swords of Eveningstar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aaron Highcolor
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  02:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Highcolor's Homepage Send Aaron Highcolor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all,

Just finished a trilogy (Star Wars, Swarm Wars if you must know!), and I'm thinking about reading Swords of the Eveningstar. I started it before, but it just didn't grab me. My question is (and without any spoilers please!), does the book pick up?

I can't remember, but I think I had the same problem with Spellfire, but I did finish it.

Thanks!

Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can.

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  03:44:22  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Highcolor

Hey all,

Just finished a trilogy (Star Wars, Swarm Wars if you must know!), and I'm thinking about reading Swords of the Eveningstar. I started it before, but it just didn't grab me. My question is (and without any spoilers please!), does the book pick up?

I can't remember, but I think I had the same problem with Spellfire, but I did finish it.

Thanks!

I had the very same problem with Spellfire. It was very disjointed. Ed Greenwood has a very distinct style that you either like a lot or just can't get thru. I'm in the latter group myself. I simply could not finish the Band of Four stuff for example. I must say though the Swords of Eveningstar was one of his better books

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  04:24:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Highcolor

Hey all,

I thought it did. But there's no way I can tell if a novel that didn't grab you before will grab you again.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  08:13:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pick up? Well that is a bit difficult to answer as I don't know what is keeping you from enjoying it. For me, who liked the book (and most of Ed's other books) it was a constant joy. But as MerrikCale said, it seems that this is a book that many readers that are not particular Greenwood fans are able to enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  14:53:58  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed it...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000