Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Interview with Ed Gentry
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  22:01:02  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Wow...I beat Wooly to this. That's amazing.

Wizards of the Coast has posted an interview with me regarding Neversfall. Check it out here:
http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/?doc=fr_neversfallinterview

http://www.edgentry.com

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  00:38:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EdGentry

Wow...I beat Wooly to this. That's amazing.

Hey, I gotta have some time away from the computer!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  01:24:24  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Ed! Great interview. It was also a pleasure to meet you at Gen Con this summer. I have a picture around here somewhere of you and Erik de Bie looming tall over me. I may have to scrounge that up and post it!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  02:49:16  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian! Thanks for the kind words.

It would be great if you could post that pic. We may be taller but your facial hair shames mine into frayed tears.

Wooly...wait...what's away from computers? Wait...do you mean that real world thing? Jeesh. So overrated.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  05:06:07  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I said I would back off, but only for those interested in my usual topics, there is a last one here :

Take a second read to the interview and think about an RPG that would be designed to do what Ed Gentry answers to the first and last questions.

Edited by - Skeptic on 11 Dec 2007 05:07:20
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  05:32:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I said I would back off, but only for those interested in my usual topics, there is a last one here :

Take a second read to the interview and think about an RPG that would be designed to do what Ed Gentry answers to the first and last questions.

First read did nothing for me, I will take a second read to make sure why first and last question are so important.

"In casual conversation, though, I think I would simply say it's a story about the difficulties of accepting change inside as much as outside oneself." *shrugs*

"What isn't to love about fantasy and sci-fi? Sci-fi shows us what we could be, and fantasy (of the sword and sorcery variety at least) shows us what we could have been (as distinct from what we were). Any time a writer wants to explore questions of morality, faith, or any of the big things we all think about when we lie awake in bed at night, fantasy and sci-fi are the perfect vehicles. By asking those questions in the context of worlds different from our own, writers allow themselves more room and flexibility to come at the questions from new and different angles. There's nothing better than feeling that freedom of thought."

At least offers value as to why the game survives as does other offerings.

Thus is my reaction to the first and last answer.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  05:40:40  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

At least offers value as to why the game survives as does other offerings.

Thus is my reaction to the first and last answer.

Maybe it's my not-so-good English here, but I don't understand you.

The key sentence is there :

"Any time a writer wants to explore questions of morality, faith, or any of the big things we all think about when we lie awake in bed at night, fantasy and sci-fi are the perfect vehicles."

The firsts answers were good example of such questions.

The idea is a RPG where the explicit goal is to : "explore questions of morality, faith, or any of the big things we all think about when we lie awake in bed at night using fantasy or sci-fi setting as vehicle". (the so called narrativism of the GNS model)

Btw, if mods want to move this discussion in another thread, it's fine.

Edited by - Skeptic on 11 Dec 2007 05:44:22
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  05:44:21  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This doesn't need to move to another thread. It just needs to stop. This thread is about Ed Gentry's inteveiw at WOTC's boards. Let's please stay on that topic. Thanks.

Edited by - Arkhaedun on 11 Dec 2007 05:45:36
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  13:29:52  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you liked what I had to say, Skeptic. Thanks for giving the interview a read.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  14:25:52  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Ed!

Great interview.
I will put Neversfall in my january shop list!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  15:18:44  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enjoyed your interview...keep on writing, Ed...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  16:33:04  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chosen and Gryphon. I really appreciate the encouragement and support. I hope you enjoy the book Chosen!

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  16:58:41  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EdGentry

I'm glad you liked what I had to say, Skeptic. Thanks for giving the interview a read.

Sorry for thread highjacking
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000