Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Orc King prologue discussion (SPOILERS)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2007 :  20:44:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some excellent discussions going on over at WotC forums right now, with nearly a seperate thread for everything Drizzt said.

Some highlights -

We are connecting the hint of a 'second world' with Ed's cryptic comment in the last Dragon magazine, about people finding out what happened to the 'Abeir' in Abeir-Toril (and likening Abeir to Eberron).

The Eladrin becoming the proto-race (Creator?) of Fey (le'Shay?), and the comment Ed made some time ago here about getting new Fäerie Lore at the end of this year... although that more properly belongs in the 4e thread.

lots of good speculations...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Sep 2007 20:47:42
Go to Top of Page

Thauglor
Acolyte

Brazil
36 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2007 :  20:46:49  Show Profile  Visit Thauglor's Homepage Send Thauglor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see your point Wooly and I have to agree with you. That first question was also biased.
Now I ponder... considering a RSE occurs if we like it or not, what would the community feeling be about how we swallow it? Should WotC give us the chance to play through these times of disgrace? Or would we be "content" to take the reins 100 years into the future?
Perhaps it comes down to what someone has already said (memory fails now), that there will be no point in playing in a setting we have no way of reverting the damage done. Or perhaps the future glimpsed at the Orc King is not set in stone and there are ways we can alter the setting.

BTW, is the destroyed Great Cathedral Candlekeep?

Thauglor
King of the Forest Country and RPGA Master GM

"And in this land I'll proudly stand
Until my dying day, sir;
For whate'er king o'er all command,
I'll still be a Cormyte brave, sir."

The Cormyte's Boast
Master Bard Chantalas
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2007 :  21:09:40  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauglor

BTW, is the destroyed Great Cathedral Candlekeep?

Not enough data, though I never knew that Drow was even aware of Candlekeep. Of course if he did not now he has up to 100 years to learn of it.

Only hope is that Candlekeep might be a "Point of Light"

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2007 :  21:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There are some excellent discussions going on over at WotC forums right now, with nearly a seperate thread for everything Drizzt said.

Some highlights -

We are connecting the hint of a 'second world' with Ed's cryptic comment in the last Dragon magazine, about people finding out what happened to the 'Abeir' in Abeir-Toril (and likening Abeir to Eberron).

The Eladrin becoming the proto-race (Creator?) of Fey (le'Shay?), and the comment Ed made some time ago here about getting new Fäerie Lore at the end of this year... although that more properly belongs in the 4e thread.

lots of good speculations...

This one made me smile...
The joining of two worlds has multiple meanings. I see it as a cultural thing, or (perhaps) a way to draw the Greyhawk fans in, especially if the Pomarj, Verbabonc, and the Free City collide into the Realms violently... Or even the vault of the drow??

Yes, I'm hoping this isn't the case, but it might just end up being that. Where it may be even more disgusting is if Eberron gets thrown into the realms, which could have disastrous effects on things.

So, NO, I'm not excited. I'm hoping that the leaks start getting better, and make me feel excited rather than ill.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2007 :  22:51:59  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most people assume that the cathedral Drizzt is speaking of is the Spirit soaring of Cadderly Bonaduce, the only great cathedral ever seen in Salvatore's books
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  00:52:41  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted this on EN World 10 days ago:

"Future Realms
A friend and I talked at length about the potential timeline fast-forward. A couple points:

- The mention of an "Empire of Netheril" I can't imagine R.A. Salvatore throwing something like that in just because the mood struck him. He's generally gone far out of his way to avoid mixing in politics of anywhere else in the Realms. I would think that if (as was hinted at Gen Con) the major players in the Realms got together a couple years ago to discuss the 4E changes, Salvatore was either involved or informed of what was coming. Hopefully this is WotC learning from the Silver Marches/Hunter's Blades inconsistencies.

- Naming the next Trilogy "Transitions" This also seems rather deliberate for an R.A. Salvatore book series. While I suspect that someone else came up with that title for the trilogy, I bet the thrust of the series is transitioning the Realms toward the future and 4E changes.

- Cleaning up the 3E novel mess I'll freely admit that I have done a poor job of keeping up with the Realms novels in the last ten years. This is partially the reality of being a "grown-up" and having a busy work schedule. But it's also a lack of interest in many of the novels that have come out. There certainly have been some great novels that have come out in the last decade, but there have been many that did not entice me to read. I suspect I'm not alone in this. A big jump forward in the timeline makes the relevance of these stories and mini-Realms Shaking Events much smaller. At any rate they can be summarized in the Grand History that will come out next month.

- A Different kind of RSE There has been nothing as big as the Time of Troubles in the Realms for years in real time, but I've noticed that the changes that have happened since then have made it harder to run campaigns in the Realms. The retaking of Myth Drannor, large scale war between Cormyr/Evereska/Waterdeep and Shade, the death of Blackstaff and the wars going on in Sembia all make the core areas of the Realms difficult to use in-game even if you are up to date on the Realms novels. Further, they're hard to predict even if you've read the books since these trilogy cycles can go on for a few years in real time. A massive calendar reset gets past all these big local changes. Even though this may be the biggest RSE of all time, it may actually make it easier to run a campaign in the Forgotten Realms.

- A potentially exciting relaunch of a great setting While I have no idea exactly what the WotC folks will do with FR 4.0, I suspect they will advance the timeline well past the Year of Blue Fire. As was mentioned above, the WotC designers were very sly at Gen Con. They never actually said that the 4E timeline would be reset to 1385. They said that a big change would happen in the Realms and that it would be called the Spell Plague. They also said that the Spell Plague would happen/begin in the Year of Blue Fire.

I've been a huge fan of the Realms for years. I love the classic setting. I also realize that I currently own enough material to run there for the rest of my life. If anyone doesn't like the changes that WotC likely has in store, it's not like you'll be left wanting for mid 1300's FR lore. But this sure could be a chance to represent the setting in a way that will make this classic feel fresh. I really hope the designers deliver on this.

We shall see..."

Having now read the Orc King Prelude, I would only add that I'm more sure than ever that the Realms timeline will jump forward to the time of the Prelude. I can think of no other reason that Salvatore would be talking about aboleth and the ruin of Thay. He has never done things like that in his writing. This indicates to me that he knows generally what is planned for the Realms 4E. I can't wait! Campaign-planning wheels are already turning.

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana

Edited by - Athenon on 10 Sep 2007 00:55:39
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  03:04:59  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's very interesting to see the different response here and at EN World. There are a number of people there who say "Wow, now that FR is going to be much different than it was, I'll be interested." Despite not being a very long-term Realmsfan (ironically, all I knew of FR until 2 years ago was the ToT), I am pretty saddened by this, since it means I'll have to do a lot more work of my own for Realms campaigns. Frankly, this doesn't seem like the right flavor for the Realms, at least in terms of high-fantasy good vs evil. It really does sound kind of post-apocalyptic. And I can't imagine how much it will muck with the trade routes! But I guess I'll just get by with older edition stuff.

PS. Anyone want to enlighten me on why the presumed 4e FR is like the old gray box? I haven't read that.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  07:18:01  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

It's very interesting to see the different response here and at EN World. There are a number of people there who say "Wow, now that FR is going to be much different than it was, I'll be interested." Despite not being a very long-term Realmsfan (ironically, all I knew of FR until 2 years ago was the ToT), I am pretty saddened by this, since it means I'll have to do a lot more work of my own for Realms campaigns. Frankly, this doesn't seem like the right flavor for the Realms, at least in terms of high-fantasy good vs evil. It really does sound kind of post-apocalyptic. And I can't imagine how much it will muck with the trade routes! But I guess I'll just get by with older edition stuff.

PS. Anyone want to enlighten me on why the presumed 4e FR is like the old gray box? I haven't read that.

Well, I must admit that I don't follow the 4ed. discussions and don't care much either, but I would guess that the comments about the new Realms being more like the Gray box refers to the (perceived) lack of high level NPC's, the maps having large areas more or less open for each DM to fill themselves and somewhat sketchy information on the Realms as a whole. But, not having read the arguments this is purely guessing.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  09:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, back on topic: Drizzt mentions, that Eilistrae is "gone":

I witnessed the hope of the goodly drow, the rise of the followers
of Eilistraee. But where are they now?”
“You speak in ridd—” the elf started, but Drizzt slammed him again.
“Gone!” Drizzt shouted. “Gone, and gone with them the hopes of a tamed
and gentle world.

Nice spoiler for the current Lady Penitent trilogy

It's also mentioned that Drizzt "fought against Obould II in the great war in the Year of Solitary Cloister", which according to some thread over at WotC is the year 1408(?!). What happened to the great tale of Drizzt and Bruenor searching for some ancient dwarven kingdom?

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 10 Sep 2007 14:38:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  14:17:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

and gentle world.

It's also mentioned that Drizzt "fought against Obould II in the great war in the Year of Solitary Cloister", which according to some thread over at WotC is the year 1408(?!). What happened to the great tale about Drizzt and Brueno searching for some ancient dwarven kingdom?

I don't see that as meaning Eilistraee is gone -- just that her followers are not as numerous or visible as they previously were.

And that year notation is correct. I checked the Roll of Years myself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Sep 2007 14:23:31
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  14:37:24  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

and gentle world.

It's also mentioned that Drizzt "fought against Obould II in the great war in the Year of Solitary Cloister", which according to some thread over at WotC is the year 1408(?!). What happened to the great tale about Drizzt and Brueno searching for some ancient dwarven kingdom?

I don't see that as meaning Eilistraee is gone -- just that her followers are not as numerous or visible as they previously were.

Sure, but it does indicate that Eilistraee wasn't successful in killing or driving off Lolth, or am I misinterpreting something?

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 10 Sep 2007 14:38:34
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  14:38:46  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

and gentle world.

I must agree with Wooly Rupert on this one. I don’t think that Eilistraee is gone but it could be interoperated that there fewer believers.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  14:47:32  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You really think so? Drizzt sounds pretty upset. Aren't we supposed to believe that this is a "once and for all" fight between Eilistraee and Lolth? I'm not saying that all the dancing ladies are killed, but isn't it likely Eilistraee herself didn't make it?
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  14:56:15  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

You really think so? Drizzt sounds pretty upset. Aren't we supposed to believe that this is a "once and for all" fight between Eilistraee and Lolth? I'm not saying that all the dancing ladies are killed, but isn't it likely Eilistraee herself didn't make it?

When Bane and Torm fought each other under the times of trouble people thought that they died, when Loth was a sleep they thought that she was gone fore good. No - I think that see had a beating some way and is keeping a low profile.

The book says she is gone not dead, and the followers are gone but not dead.

Vic

Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  15:55:03  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it is true that all of the gods seemingly share the deception portfolio. In any event, I am pleased to hear the Eilistraeens are beaten, not that I had any doubt, really. The good Drow have to remain rare and endangered. It should never become a mundane event to come across dark skinned nymphs dancing in a moonlit glade.

And just when you think "gone" and "fallen" are nice ways of saying "dead," Gandalf shows up dressed in white.
Go to Top of Page

Ontarah
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  16:03:50  Show Profile  Visit Ontarah's Homepage Send Ontarah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost positive this is a red herring chapter for a couple of reasons. One, there is a book review up on Salvatore's website that clearly talks about Bruenor, Catti-brie, and Wulfgar being characters. Second, I remember a review with Salvatore a LONG time ago where he was asked why he brought Wulfgar back from the Abyss and he basically said something along the lines of "if I don't someone else will." He has shown great reluctance to kill any of the Companions of the Hall. It seems like all of them have had multiple "deaths" at this point only to show back up. Either Wizards won't let him or he just doesn't want to kill the big 5 so I don't know why that would suddenly change now especially in so drastic a fashion. I will grant that a new edition of rules might be the only times he could get away with such a stark transition.
Go to Top of Page

Thauglor
Acolyte

Brazil
36 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  16:08:51  Show Profile  Visit Thauglor's Homepage Send Thauglor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed! I'd bet Eilistraee is not dead. But I suspect the cause here is not that she is trying to maintain a low profile. It has been posted around the forums the possibility of the Weave and the Shadow Weave merging, the encounter of two worlds, and the rise of Netheril. While these three events may be interconnected, they may also be separate events, any of which I'd say has a good potential of shattering the realms, or causing the spellplague, or severing the link with the gods, or all the three at the same time. Perhaps the RSE has isolated the world from the gods much like happened once to Athas in the Darksun setting.

And by the differing tendencies shown here and at ENworld, yes, it is really, really sad to see we are the last hope of keeping the lore of FR intact. Candlekeep (the site), may very well be headed in the direction of becoming to the real world what Candlekeep (the library) is to Faerun, the last spot of solid, trustworthy information. The rest of the new, young, unappreciative races will just accept what the darker ages of the Realms have to offer.

It was not long after 3e/3.5 came out that I found out 2e books were so much better in terms of Realms history. I have to grant that 3e publications have beautiful artwork, but they are shallow to the point of being annoying. Since then, of all the books I've bought, not a third is 3e. Older editions are still the base of any solid, canon-lore based campaign. given the perspectives ahead I guess I'll just try to complete my collection of old, dusty stuff.

On a last note, like Athenon said, it has been too time consuming trying to keep up-to-date with all the speculation and little information thrown in all the forums. Being a grown-up plays a heavy part in the imposed distance to fantasy life. Well, heads up and years sharp. A catastrophe is brewing.
(No, I'm not gloomy )

Edited by - Thauglor on 10 Sep 2007 17:16:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  17:27:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a thought... Someone mentioned Ed's comment on Abeir being lost from the name Abeir-Toril, and posited that it may have something to do with the "joining of two worlds" line. Now Ontarah mentions that a review discusses Wulfgar, Cattie-Brie and the rest being alive in the novel -- something clearly not possible 100 years in the future. Perhaps what we're looking at is that Abeir and Toril are separate, parallel dimensions, and something causes them to collide. This future Drizzt could be from Abeir, where a different course of events happened. Then, in the fashion of countless TV shows, movies, and books, either future Drizzt comes to Toril, or he somehow imparts the information to current Drizzt, and he and his friends then take steps to prevent it.

Of course, this is all just this side of wild supposition...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  17:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's a thought... Someone mentioned Ed's comment on Abeir being lost from the name Abeir-Toril, and posited that it may have something to do with the "joining of two worlds" line. Now Ontarah mentions that a review discusses Wulfgar, Cattie-Brie and the rest being alive in the novel -- something clearly not possible 100 years in the future. Perhaps what we're looking at is that Abeir and Toril are separate, parallel dimensions, and something causes them to collide. This future Drizzt could be from Abeir, where a different course of events happened. Then, in the fashion of countless TV shows, movies, and books, either future Drizzt comes to Toril, or he somehow imparts the information to current Drizzt, and he and his friends then take steps to prevent it.

Of course, this is all just this side of wild supposition...

Sounds interesting Wooly Rupert

Where is this mentioned

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  17:40:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still so few facts, we do not know much.

Eilistraee clearly might still exist but clearly if she does her chirch suffered reverses that 10 percent of Drow are no longer her clergy.

As for blending of worlds there appears to be two most likely options.

Shade and Toril
or
Travel between game settings Eberon and FR might become more common (this guess because the 4th design includes plans for characters to be played in any setting as compatible).

There again they appear not to have even finished the design. It strikes me like somebody wrote a wish list over a year ago and now is telling Design and Authors to make it so by April next year.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kaysae
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  20:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Kaysae's Homepage Send Kaysae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sparhawk42
Interesting, I wonder what the whole "joining of two worlds" stuff means?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this is the conclusion of Kemp's Twilight War trilogy. Shadowrealm makes so much sense now.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  21:04:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, that sounds so much like Cable (or any other mutants from the Age of Apocalypse).

That idea is new (AFAIK), with others being that the other world is Greyhawk (hence the merging of 'core' with realms), Eberron (Ebeir-Toril?) because of the inclusion of Changelings and warforged in 4e, and one of my own creation - the return of the Fey (Le'Shay?). Some things in Darkvision point to some ancient 'multi-planar' involvement with them (VERY subtle hint).

Personally, I would like to see Mystara join with Toril, if for no other reason then because it was a 'deep' world as well, and many of the wonderful things in FR came from there.

Others have thought it was a reference of a 'cultural merge' between humanoids and demi-humans. I don't think RAS was being that subtle, though. Perhaps a joining of the Mulhorandi and Faerûnian Pantheons? More dramatic and Realms-shaking, and it would explain why the gods appear to be missing.

I noticed ZERO refernce to the Moonsea... either it's undecided as of yet or its going to be a doozy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  21:16:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I noticed ZERO refernce to the Moonsea... either it's undecided as of yet or its going to be a doozy.

Well, the flumphs* have to live somewhere.

*the name flumph has been recycled to now describe half-phaerimm psuedonatural Lurkers Above.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  22:04:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohhhh... will they be at war with the mighty Umpleby*?

*They have become the new Arch-fiend, presiding over both demons and devils.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  22:07:27  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Perhaps a joining of the Mulhorandi and Faerûnian Pantheons? More dramatic and Realms-shaking, and it would explain why the gods appear to be missing.

This is no doubt quite probable. We have talked about that on other scrolls, and there are a few adventure hooks left from different books which are canon and are not finished yet, to name only two: The Ascension of Amaunator from the Players Guide (which is very likely setting for a merging with parts or the whole of the Mulhorandi pantheon, as we have discussed elsewhere) and Waxing of the Moon from Lost Empires. Both of them have strong connections to Netheril (-> Rise of the Empire of Netheril?), and the latter will most likely involve not only Shar and Selune, but also Mystra (-> Spellplague?).

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 10 Sep 2007 22:08:19
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  00:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember that at least the geography of the Moonsea and the town of Hulburg must stay intact. Rich Baker's book "Swordmage" (which he confirmed at Gen Con will be in the time frame of the 4E Realms) takes place there.

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  09:01:08  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

Well, the flumphs* have to live somewhere.

*the name flumph has been recycled to now describe half-phaerimm psuedonatural Lurkers Above.

Haven't you heard? Flumphs have been outed as the true lords of Waterdeep, the masked humans where just fronts.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  14:22:55  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah. Closed my thread when It was up before this one:P Now my ideas look recycled, not fresh:(

Oh well, cut and paste
Fun little intro aye? Let's put some perspective to it. 100 years in the future.

Drizzt talks about "The disastrous joining of two worlds" while also talking about the rise of Netheril(again), which can only be refering to "Shadowrealm", in which the shadowvar bring back the netheril empire VIA takeover in sembia, and the shadowstorm was unleashed. Details are not yet out, but it should be a kickass event.

Talking about how the spellplague decimated the entire world intrigued me. Seems like forgotten realms is about to have its biggest major catyclysm since Mystryl died and the floating cities all came crashing down, except on a global level. The dated year of spellplague is 1385, and the current Drizzt books are in 1369-1372.

He talks of one of his dear dear friends dying in Luskan right before Luskan was destroyed, dying as his dreams came crashing down beside the bodies of 5000 victims. Not sure who he is speaking of. He talks about seeing the greatest cathedral ever built and watching it it come burning and crashing down. He also speaks of witnessing the rise of Ellistraee and hope of goodly drow, only to see it also disappear....(Sketchy)

He mentions how the silver marches have flourished, yet Thay, Sembia, and Mulhorhand have not.......(Yikes)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  15:06:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah. To me, these changes just feel like a slap in the face. I don't like the sound of them, and I believe that the Realms is very quickly becoming radicially different from what it was meant to be.

And before someone protests, "You shouldn't judge it 'til you've seen it!" Why not? First, I've seen some of it right in the discussed sample chapter. Second, if I've disliked almost every other RSE that's happened over the past several years (and there have been many), why on earth should I be expected it be optimistic about this new one, which is being billed as the greatest change ever, greater than the much-hated ToT?

WotC can do what they want with the setting they own, but that doesn't mean everyone has to approve of it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Sep 2007 15:08:09
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  15:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, I also find it interesting and telling that Drizzt basically ends up parroting the "points of light in the darkness" spiel from GenCon, almost word for word.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000